Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: The Spread of Alarm and Information

The Spread of Alarm and Information

The Spread of Alarm and Information

What would you like to see in terms of how information is spread when playing thief 4? When a guard finds a body, should he immediately run around telling other guards one by one that he found someone dead until everyone knows? Or should he just find one or two people for backup and they could act as a group searching for you? Maybe some levels should have a PA system of sorts where someone can try and make it to the nearest machine to alert the whole complex, or we could just stick with a big red alarm button? If someone sees you and you get away, should they tell every other guard they come across to watch out for moving shadows? or should they just keep it to themselves hoping to catch you and get the promotion?

I keep imagining a scenario where there's a security office with an intercom is that allows anyone to spread a message to the whole building, and setting up a gas mine there so if someone should happen to find one of the many knocked out bodies in a closet, that they would be knocked out right before speaking into the intercom.
    signature image
    signature image

I don't really see a macho guard screamin about as he runs through corridors unless he's wounded like in the old games. Maybe whenever he does see someone he'd yell for em, but outside of that I don't want my guards running up and down halls screaming at every dead body they see, unless it IS their supervisor lol

I've always played with the idea of placing bodies or planting things to suggest something other than yourself... murdered/knocked out guard? put him at the bottom of a staircase and people will think he tripped if you don't want to spend 10 minutes finding the nearest closet. Though you may wish to dispatch the others before they rouse him, or give a closer inspection. Unconscious and face down on the floor? find some alcohol bottles and plant them near the victim to insinuate that he's just passed out drunk. People will move on and let the drunkard sleep it off, or tell a supervisor who'll come kick his ass into shape for sleeping on the job.

But it feels to complicated to implement, because there's so many different scenarios players could think up, and if you could only include a few, it would kinda suck for those who thought outside the box, like breaking the window above the head of a guard they killed at the base of a castle, making it look like he fell to his doom.
    signature image
    signature image

well hopefully they don't kill any intruders ;D but following their other orders is a good thing.

Though come to think of it, one time hearing a guard scream like a girl running down the hallway would be hilarious. He goes and gets a bunch of guards, and brings them back to the sighting/where he heard the sound. Then they get there and tell him he's such a wus and that it was probably nothing and he should stop getting them for every fart he hears. Then they go back to their duty, and the guy just ignores everything you do because he thinks he's just hallucinating... unless you stand right there and stare him in the face kinda thing.
    signature image
    signature image

I think they should stick to what they do currently in the games - be aggressive. These guys are confident, they're wielding long swords, armor, and you're an unarmored thief with nothing but tricks (That they really aren't aware of). Yelling "Hey, I found a thief here!" and charging is great, but they should only trigger alarms, or directly try to get help if they're wounded, or you pull tricks on them, like flashbombs or moss arrows to the face.

On an unrelated topic, I think the blackjack should be nerfed in some way. It's way too powerful. Something like guards needing multiple blackjacks to take down, eventually recovering, or something else to atleast encourage you to avoid guards rather than blackjack and forget.

well then you'd encourage murder because it would be permanent removal. I think having the rare interspersed guard with a helmet was a good way of counteracting the blackjack, without encouraging mass murder, and even then you usually could at least find enough gas arrows to take those people out.
    signature image
    signature image

Personally I am satisfied with the guard Ai behaviour in the first two Thief games. When spotted by two and a alarm is nearby one would charge you while the other would sound the alarm and come back to you. When the alarm is unavailable, they just charge. If wounded, the guard runs to get help. A pretty decent behaviour.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

Originally Posted by kabatta
    Personally I am satisfied with the guard Ai behaviour in the first two Thief games. When spotted by two and alarm is nearby one would charge you while the other would sound the alarm and coma back to you. When the alarm is unavailable, they just charge. If wounded, the guard runs to get help. A pretty decent behaviour.
    but is there anything new that you'd like to see, something that would make you MORE than simply "satisfied"?
    signature image
    signature image

The only thing that might be improved is the combat system. They could strafe, try to get behind you. Alltough the guards in the original games were pretty well made, it was pretty simple to fight with 3-4 of them at once and win. (yes, i shamelessly started fighting with the guards a few times)
    Surripio ergo sunt.

I was trying to say that the guards whould be harder to beat. If i play as an amateur to get the time to regret it. Alltough it was fun to blackjack a hammer haunt to death.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

The designers need to find good ways to inconvenience the player for being caught without inducing most people to reload.

I wonder how do they know that I am a thief? (servants, guards etc.) Because of the costume? "Come to the light thief!", "ohh, thieef, help mee, please don't hurt mee!" Especially servants. Can't I be a guest that lost the way?
    If it's because of the costume why anybody in the city don't scream "thieef" in TDS?
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

Originally Posted by Hamadriyad
    I wonder how do they know that I am a thief? (servants, guards etc.) Because of the costume? "Come to the light thief!", "ohh, thieef, help mee, please don't hurt mee!" Especially servants. Can't I be a guest that lost the way?
    If it's because of the costume why anybody in the city don't scream "thieef" in TDS?
    Yeah that was one of the flaws of all three games. I thought exactly the same - especially when you have to reach your house in T2 and this one prostitute on the market immedeatly screams when she sees you... that'sjust plain stupid.

Originally Posted by FriendlyStranger
    Yeah that was one of the flaws of all three games. I exactly thought the same - especially when you have to reach your house in T2 and this one prostitute on the market immedeatly screams when she sees you... that'sjust plain stupid.
    Yes. I hope they fix it in Thief IV. That's annoying. And If they fix I think that can be open the doors to new strategies and lot of fun. (At least we don't hear anymore those unreasonable screams.)
    Maybe we can fool the servants and maybe even inexperienced guards.We can complete our mission until they recognize.
    "Who are you?"
    "I am a messenger. I gave a massage to Lord Bafford."
    "Oh, ok then."
    But this would be overkill for Thief probably and kill sneak in the shadows point.
    Just everybody shouldn't know that I am a thief. That's enough for me.
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

Originally Posted by FriendlyStranger
    Yeah that was one of the flaws of all three games. I exactly thought the same - especially when you have to reach your house in T2 and this one prostitute on the market immedeatly screams when she sees you... that'sjust plain stupid.
    Now if I had that kinky looking blackjack from t3 out while walking towards her I'd very much understand her screaming.... XD

I agree, in the first 2 games it didn't really make sense to be labeled a thief 100% of the time. Why not, assassin? Maybe even man in a black hood? More titles than thief would be nice, because we could be anything until they realize that we stole their purse as they ran away.
    signature image
    signature image

Maybe fame preceded Garrett? At the Bafford mission while on the streets the guards don't attack you, the one patrolling even salutes you. Not to mention the drunkard in front in the well door that doesn't pay attention as i grab the key from his belt and noisily go in.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

Well that one guy was a drunkard... I never had the guy salute me, because I always hid in the shadows and knocked him out >_>
    signature image
    signature image

Originally Posted by Hypevosa
    Well that one guy was a drunkard... I never had the guy salute me, because I always hid in the shadows and knocked him out >_>
    I boldly wen straight to the fountain forgetting abouth the patrolling one. When i tought he will attack me because of my silliness I was shocked to hear something like "Evening".
    Allso...the guards at the gate threaten you go mind your own busyness and wait 5-6 secound before atacking.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

That last one I knew because when I first (very first time) played I was determined to go through the front gate, so I saw what would happen. Then I killed them all.... then when i was done with the level, I messed with the difficulty on bonehoard and saw how much extra goodies I got. So I went back to the first level and played on expert, and played that way ever since.
    signature image
    signature image

The irony is that I never was able to play return to the cathedral properly on easy, but I beat it on expert. )
    Surripio ergo sunt.

I'd actually like to see guards first check the body if its knocked out they may try to revive them for a bit. If dead they might just go hey (name) you ok? Depending on the intelligence of the guard. If knocked out they might search around for a bit then go to a central point to report it. if death I think a search but then head for alarm would work.

i would like to see with knock out if i put them in a chair or bed and someone sees them they'll just think they fell asleep.

what i use to do is pile a bunch of bodies in a closet or off the way dark room.

yeah pile them in a dark corner then go on a stabbing spree!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last