Thread: "How Gold & Runestones Work in Nosgoth" questions

"How Gold & Runestones Work in Nosgoth" questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norway, Oslo
    Posts
    112

    "How Gold & Runestones Work in Nosgoth" questions

    The blog post felt like a "101 To Nosgoth Currency and Virtual Items". It was a great introduction, but it left me with even more questions. Even though I doubt I will get them all answered I decided to throw them out here, so they can hopefully be discussed.

    I would like to start by saying that the system is very familiar to me as it seems to be almost be identical to the system used in Tribes:Ascend (which I played religiously until Hi-Rez made some critical mistakes in my eyes). It worked well and I ended up spending way more money then I want to admit. Probably end up doing the same here (those damn skins), which leaves me with some questions:

    1. New skins can be unlocked by leveling up or purchasing Runestones. However I assume certain skins will only be available through Runestones? It is quite common for holiday and special skins to only be purchasable through real money, I assume you will be taking the same approach in Nosgoth?

    2. The post mentioned that chests can give you rare weapons or primary abilities. Are these weapons also purchasable directly or only attainable through the chests? I am going to assume that the primary abilities are attainable through conventional means as well. These rare weapons attained from chests, are they also randomly attainable after matches?

    3. What is the average price of an item? 1,000 Runestones cost 5$ but how much does a skill cost, or a skin? 500, 1000, 1500? The price of Runestones really dosen't tell us much unless we know how much Runestones in game items cost.

    4. Since Nosgoth will be Steam mandatory are you planning to incorporate Steam Wallet, and the Community market into the game? Giving us the ability to sell/trade amongst players?

    Those were some of the questions I had from the top of my head, hopefully someone is willing to answer some of them

  2. #2
    Some of these questions can't be answered yet cause the NDA is still active I assume. It won't be gone until the closed beta starts.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norway, Oslo
    Posts
    112
    Originally Posted by Khalith
    Some of these questions can't be answered yet cause the NDA is still active I assume. It won't be gone until the closed beta starts.
    I am aware of it, but considering Closed Beta starts tomorrow it can't hurt to ask

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Wobbley
    I am aware of it, but considering Closed Beta starts tomorrow it can't hurt to ask
    Once the NDA is gone I'm sure you'll get answers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    524
    Originally Posted by Wobbley
    1. New skins can be unlocked by leveling up or purchasing Runestones. However I assume certain skins will only be available through Runestones? It is quite common for holiday and special skins to only be purchasable through real money, I assume you will be taking the same approach in Nosgoth?
    Most likely, yes we will.

    Originally Posted by Wobbley
    2. The post mentioned that chests can give you rare weapons or primary abilities. Are these weapons also purchasable directly or only attainable through the chests? I am going to assume that the primary abilities are attainable through conventional means as well. These rare weapons attained from chests, are they also randomly attainable after matches?
    Corey described how chests worked best in this post:
    Originally Posted by Psyonix_Corey
    This isn't a final design but an example so you can feed back on. Nothing about this idea is locked, it's just a sample of one system being considered.

    Say you have this item:
    Rare Repeater Crossbow
    +2% Clip Size
    -2% Accuracy
    Visual FX: Icy Shots
    Charge: 7 days / 7 days

    You use said crossbow for 7 days and it depletes over time. When it hits zero, it now looks like this:
    Rare Repeater Crossbow
    +2% Clip Size
    -2% Accuracy
    Visual FX: Icy Shots

    Charge: 0 days / 7 days

    It still functions as a Repeater Crossbow, but any positive/negative stat mods and Visual FX are disabled until it is recharged for Gold or Runestones.

    Also consider being able to make it permanent using runestones so you never have to recharge it again. I suppose how palatable that is depends entirely on how such an option is priced. I don't have final say on pricing - ultimately this is Square's game and business - but comments certainly will be read by the people making final decisions.
    Does this answer your question?

    Originally Posted by Wobbley
    3. What is the average price of an item? 1,000 Runestones cost 5$ but how much does a skill cost, or a skin? 500, 1000, 1500? The price of Runestones really dosen't tell us much unless we know how much Runestones in game items cost.
    On average a permanent purchase of...
    • a skin skin costs 1,600 Runestones.
    • primary ability or weapon costs 1000 Runestones or 1500 Gold.
    • a secondary ability costs 900 Runestones or 1350 gold.

    Bear in mind that you can also rent abilities for a fixed amount of time at a greatly reduced price.

    Originally Posted by Wobbley
    4. Since Nosgoth will be Steam mandatory are you planning to incorporate Steam Wallet, and the Community market into the game? Giving us the ability to sell/trade amongst players?
    We'll be sharing details of how we intend to handle gifting and sharing in-game items at a later date.
    Square Enix London Studios Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norway, Oslo
    Posts
    112
    Thanks for the answers Monkeyhumbz I really appreciate it!

    The most interesting answer here definitely has to be the chests. Depending how stats are distributed people might spend countless hours and dollars trying to achieve the perfect item. Let's say max % on whatever stat is favorable to your build. This is not neccessarily a bad thing it keeps people hunting and playing like in Diablo, but might skew the market. Where a 4% (almost perfect) is not nearly as sought after and worth it as a 5% (perfect). Perhaps since it expires it is not such a big deal and only the perfect ones will be made permanent by the players, oh I don't know, probably overthinking it.

    Still a very interesting take for a arena based combat game, looking forward to seeing the feedback and the communities take on what you implement This opens tons of possibilities such as adding custom modifiers to items (as in creating your own from a set of components). Balancing all this will most likely be a nightmare and can come back and bite you in the bum bum.