Thread: PICUS NEWSDESK: DXHR News Alerts Thread / UPDATE: FACEBOOK Free Content Promo

PICUS NEWSDESK: DXHR News Alerts Thread / UPDATE: FACEBOOK Free Content Promo

Originally Posted by pi r squared
    Crosshairs or no crosshairs, we have had a couple of confirmations that the game is pretty tough, even on Normal. I don't imagine we would have heard that if blind fire was so impossibly accurate, it was possible to wipe out swathes of enemies whilst sat pretty behind cover.
    Yes, I've read a few bullets kill you and that recovering from getting shot takes something like 30 seconds. There is more to be relieved about than worried about when it comes to difficulty maybe, but this particular matter (blind fire) still worries me and I hope Kyle could get some more information about this for us

Originally Posted by Coyotegrey
    But removing the crosshair when someone's in cover, and then putting it back when they get out of cover could be a little strange. I'm not saying this is the case, but I can see why designers would want consistency.
    Really, it's another problem with using third person for the cover, but as far as that system goes, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway did it fairly well: no crosshair until you popped out of cover and started actively aiming. You could still blindfire, but it was wildly inaccurate, and was far more used for supressing enemies than killing them.

If the crosshair's there when you're behind cover and not actively aiming, it screws up more than just blindfire, because you can actually start accurately placing shots while you're still behind cover, then pop out for just a second or so with your shot already perfectly lined up, squeeze off your already-aimed shot, and disappear back behind cover before the AI has had a chance to react. Risk to the player: virtually zero. Penalty: None whatsoever. Challenge: none. Reward: None.

I really hope DXHR isn't that kind of game. But given that that's the exact system that R6:V used, I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by Ashpolt
    Really, it's another problem with using third person for the cover, but as far as that system goes, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway did it fairly well: no crosshair until you popped out of cover and started actively aiming. You could still blindfire, but it was wildly inaccurate, and was far more used for supressing enemies than killing them.

If the crosshair's there when you're behind cover and not actively aiming, it screws up more than just blindfire, because you can actually start accurately placing shots while you're still behind cover, then pop out for just a second or so with your shot already perfectly lined up, squeeze off your already-aimed shot, and disappear back behind cover before the AI has had a chance to react. Risk to the player: virtually zero. Penalty: None whatsoever. Challenge: none. Reward: None.

I really hope DXHR isn't that kind of game. But given that that's the exact system that R6:V used, I'm not holding my breath.
    Of course, you could just do what I plan to do and just never use the cover system. If I'm totally honest, I rarely used lean in the original anyway. Even if we lack visual cues for guards, there are still auditory ones like voices and footsteps. Overall, a far more immersive experience for us old skoolers.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pretentious Old Man.
    Of course, you could just do what I plan to do and just never use the cover system.
    Then you'd better pray that they actually put some effort in the hit registration when not in cover. Most games with a type of sticky cover tend to have the protagonist invincible while using the system, but a sitting duck while crouching behind that same object.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Originally Posted by Ashpolt
    Risk to the player: virtually zero. Penalty: None whatsoever. Challenge: none. Reward: None.

I really hope DXHR isn't that kind of game.
    Hopefully we'll find out a bit more in a couple of week's time when the secondary embargo is lifted, but again "risk: none" and "challenge: none" don't seem to gel with the feedback we've had so far. It's frustrating having to wait, however.

Isn't there blindfire in the demo that was shown? Eg. at 7:47, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM1gzCr5xCE&t=7m46s. I don't see any crosshair there.

Just checked...nope...no crosshairs while in blindfire. You CAN kill people while in blindfire, BUT your shots are...basically everywhere. The spread is huge.

Originally Posted by subtlesnake
    Isn't there blindfire in the demo that was shown? Eg. at 7:47, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM1gzCr5xCE&t=7m46s. I don't see any crosshair there.
    It looks quite okay in that video.

Also see how the first guard holds his shoulder before falling dead.

Just checked...nope...no crosshairs while in blindfire. You CAN kill people while in blindfire, BUT your shots are...basically everywhere. The spread is huge.
    Nice. Thanks for your response!
    Dr. Loboto: The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain...
    the good news is that your insurance should cover the whole thing.

Curious. Makes you wonder how the Germans got the Magic Bullet conclusion. Without a reticule, how could it be nearly as accurate as they intimated?

Originally Posted by Irate Iguana
    Then you'd better pray that they actually put some effort in the hit registration when not in cover. Most games with a type of sticky cover tend to have the protagonist invincible while using the system, but a sitting duck while crouching behind that same object.
    That's the bloody point of a cover system, be it first or third-person; a game mechanic that allows the player to tuck in behind an object, instead of crouching like a fat Sea Lion with all your blubber hanging out. A good cover system is important for both combat and stealth.
    signature image

In response to what Irate just said, would you mind just quickly confirming that the player being concealed/protected by a cover object is not strictly dependent on them being "in" cover please, Kyle? I'm sure that's the case, but best to check.
    signature image

Of course, you could just do what I plan to do and just never use the cover system. If I'm totally honest, I rarely used lean in the original anyway. Even if we lack visual cues for guards, there are still auditory ones like voices and footsteps. Overall, a far more immersive experience for us old skoolers.
    I also want to be able to play the game in FP without using TP, but I don't think it will be possible to get through it using only the sound from footsteps and voices. If the AI is on par with games like GRAW, we'll need visual aid (ie: enemy position on the map, see-through-walls vision, Cornershot or any other tool to see around corners).

Awesome thanks. Now this is some quality cm stuff. Glad to have you here.

In response to what Irate just said, would you mind just quickly confirming that the player being concealed/protected by a cover object is not strictly dependent on them being "in" cover please, Kyle? I'm sure that's the case, but best to check.
    You're asking whether or not there's an invulnerable shield that goes around you when you're in cover? If that's the case, then as far as I know..er..no.

You're asking whether or not there's an invulnerable shield that goes around you when you're in cover? If that's the case, then as far as I know..er..no.
    No I think he's asking that if you are in crouch mode behind an object, you are basically a sitting duck, but when you take cover behind it using the cover system, you are invincible. He fears that's the case.

Originally Posted by Zakka
    No I think he's asking that if you are in crouch mode behind an object, you are basically a sitting duck, but when you take cover behind it using the cover system, you are invincible. He fears that's the case.
    Oh ok. I'm not sure. I'll check sometime, though.

Appreciated. And yeah, Zakka is about right re: my question.
    signature image

Cool, personally I wouldn't mind if using the coversystem gives you a little bit more cover than just crouching. It kind of makes sense in a way. Depends on the length of the object you are using for cover ofcourse.

The question is whether the game still uses collision detection with enemy bullets while you are in cover

or

it just assumes that you can't be hit from certain directions because you are in cover, although part of you is visible from that direction.

EDIT: Oh, late. It'd be nice from you to ask, Kyle.
    Dr. Loboto: The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain...
    the good news is that your insurance should cover the whole thing.

Originally Posted by Zakka
    Cool, personally I wouldn't mind if using the coversystem gives you a little bit more cover than just crouching. It kind of makes sense in a way. Depends on the length of the object you are using for cover ofcourse.
    [insert joke about long objects here]

Originally Posted by Kodaemon
    [insert joke about long objects here]
    signature image

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

release date please

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    Curious. Makes you wonder how the Germans got the Magic Bullet conclusion. Without a reticule, how could it be nearly as accurate as they intimated?
    They're Germans. After that "Oh Snap" commercial with Peter Stormare...nothing surprises me. But seriously, a failure to cohmyonecate?

German writing in da house, ya!

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    My guess is different expectations. The Germans probably didn't expect to kill anybody while blindfiring. Coyotegrey on the other hand doesn't seem to have a problem with blindfiring being on par with aimed fire. Unless we see some footage for ourselves we won't know how accurate, or inaccurate, it really is.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Page 78 of 103 First First ... 286874757677787980818288 ... Last