Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: "Beg thy pardon. Dost Thou have a moment to talk about The Builder?"

"Beg thy pardon. Dost Thou have a moment to talk about The Builder?"

Smile "Beg thy pardon. Dost Thou have a moment to talk about The Builder?"

Question:

Do the Hammerites ever make use of door to door solicitors, like real world Jehova's Witnesses?

After all, a donation to the Builder's cause wouldst grant thee his favor.

And the wealthy nobles can always use some quality Hammer-made machinery.

Might be a fun little thing for Garrett to randomly eavesdrop on while he sneaks through the city.

"Beg thy pardon, nobleman. But dost that have a mome---"

"We're not interested!" *slams door*

....... "He couldst have feigned interest..."

"Do not lose heart, Brother. We'll both be laughing from the Builder's Home while he shivers in the Heathen Lands."

"Ha ha... Indeed... Let us depart. Mayhap the Rothchilds will be more accomodating."
    "Going legit is more trouble than it's worth." --- Garrett

I could be wrong, but isnt Thief played during the night? I say no to that, but it was a really good idea and funny dialoge!

Originally Posted by Yaphy
    I could be wrong, but isnt Thief played during the night? I say no to that, but it was a really good idea and funny dialoge!
    Not always. The outside areas of Cragscleft Prison looked like it was set in the early afternoon.

Besides, with all the electric lights in the City, citizens can stay up well into the late hours of the night. Good time to knock on their doors and pester them.
    "Going legit is more trouble than it's worth." --- Garrett

I think they automate this with robots. Scares the crap out of people though.

btw, anybody know where I can get that robot dialog? That would be hilarious for windows startup or my alarm clock.

You mean the Mechanists, DoomyDoom. The Hammerites had no such robots, the closest technological innovation they had that had any resemblance to the Mechanists was those "security cameras" in Cragscleft.

To get the robot dialog: go to your Thief II directory, and go in the "RES" folder. Open "snd.crf" with any sort of zipping/unzipping utility (.crfs are practically .zips anyway). When you open it up, just go in the "Robots" folder, and all of the sound files are there.

To see what each sound file actually says, go here:
    http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/T2_Sound_Folder:_Robots

Doh, you're right.

Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by BoldEnglishman
    You mean the Mechanists, DoomyDoom. The Hammerites had no such robots, the closest technological innovation they had that had any resemblance to the Mechanists was those "security cameras" in Cragscleft.
    Correct!!!

Anyhow, in TMA and TDS, the city did seem to have more of a nightlife. I think it would be cool, I mean, it shouldnt really affect gameplay in any way.

They could put it it once as an easter egg. Just at one spot in the city and for just one night.

hammerite script found in a novices bed "there are many hammers in the world, but this hammer is my designated hammer, I will maintain my hammer in good working order and in return my hammer will protect and serve me, the name I have chosen for my designated hammer is shirlene...."

and why do we always have gregorian chant in the temples why not some gospel style singing, that would rock , and have some words to the tunes "he will smite the unbeliever with hammers of hot iron" or "the gear is connected to the .. mainspring, the mainspring is connected to the ... winding arm, now hear the word of our Karrass"

esme was that in game or did you just make that up? Would be awesome either way.

While I think this would be funny for a little bit of atmosphere i don't see the hammerites doing something like that. Especially not the oh he was rude lets try another. I picture them more being heathen! take hammer off back and start to smash door. Thou shall heed the words of the builder and praise his name.

Mechanists were more in with the nobility getting gifts for a chance to get a machine but I can see hammerites having the same kind of power. They seem to have inquisition like power at least over the low born masses.

What I can see the hammerites doing is having a priest guarded by 2 other acolytes preaching in the street to a group of people. Maybe have Garrett sneak around the guy speaking in a square and steal some holy icon the guy was going to use to try to get more people to the faith.

Originally Posted by Corvin25
    "Beg thy pardon, nobleman. But dost that have a mome---"

Correction:

"Thou shalt take a moment of thy time-"

"Methinks he doth have some connection with the foul pagans, if t'were judged by his refusal to speak with the Builder's own servants!" *smash door down, take nobleman away*

A tad off topic but I was wondering, do Hammerites expect women to worship the Builder even though they can't join the official religion, or do they simply not care? What about Hammerites' wives? I think they get married because if I recall correctly there was a readable somewhere that dealt with family somehow, related to building a strong house and all that.

Originally Posted by kaekaelyn
    A tad off topic but I was wondering, do Hammerites expect women to worship the Builder even though they can't join the official religion, or do they simply not care? What about Hammerites' wives? I think they get married because if I recall correctly there was a readable somewhere that dealt with family somehow, related to building a strong house and all that.
    This was discussed in another thread. In the games --if I remember correctly-- women weren't actively forbidden from becoming Hammerites; they just simply weren't there in the game. The Hammerites appear to be vaguely modeled after the Catholic church: male priests in a male hierarchy. If that's their model, then there won't be wives or female Hammerites. As for a reference with families in it? Maybe in Hammerite scripture.

I suggested that for T4, the Hammerites should have an order of nuns: 'The Builder's Daughters', 'Sisters of The Hammer', something like that. Maybe make them a warrior order .

--Thieffanman

Yeah, I remember that thread, but I think the gist of it was just that "Hammerites are all men, but a splinter order of nuns would be cool." It [I]would[I] be cool and I really like the idea, but apart from that, I'm just wondering if Hammerite wives throw around thees and thous and praise the Builder too. I suppose your suggestion about a male hierarchy makes sense. I'm just curious if there's any canon about it.

As for the readable, I think I remember it a little better now...it talked about "forging a family," if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted by Direlord
    esme was that in game or did you just make that up? Would be awesome either way....
    the designated hammer thing was something I made up but it reminded me of Full Metal Jacket where they sleep with their rifles and I've always thought the Hammers should have some decent music to hammer by and boost recruitment

and have them distribute leaflets as well, heh, the hammers go into a tavern to sell copies of "The Stone Tower", the mechanists go in to sell "The Watch Maker" and a full on bar fight starts up like the rooftop battle in LOTP, bartender starts taking bottles off the shelves, bystanders join in, mirrors get smashed and some guy gets heaved through the front window, the the watch step in and break it up, then we have the heads of each order doing the "I don't care who started it..." speech to the survivors

that would be classic but I seriously doubt we'd see it

for those who haven't seen the fight in LOTP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU8gMHDkH48

Yeah i recognized the Full Metal Jacket reference.

Return Old Hammerite Design

Well I don't know if its already been stated anywhere, but could we please have the old-style Hammerites back? I mean the way they looked in T1,2... TDS's Hammerite-armor/clothing looked completely different from the ones in the original game. And I don't think there is an appropriate explanation for that.

TDS Hammerite design is better than previous games imo.
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

Originally Posted by Hamadriyad
    Not at all. The imaging we got in DS was wholly at variance with what the Hammers are. Like, big, full plate armoured bastards, whom, once they get moving, can't be stopped.
    Like knights, really.

Actually, even if Ion Storm wanted to go for a more Knight Templar-ish (the source for the Hammers) -look, they still screwed it up. The Templars didn't wear boiled or studded leather as primary armour, but chainmail, with chainmail coifs.

Originally Posted by FriendlyStranger
    Well I don't know if its already been stated anywhere, but could we please have the old-style Hammerites back? I mean the way they looked in T1,2... TDS's Hammerite-armor/clothing looked completely different from the ones in the original game. And I don't think there is an appropriate explanation for that.
    I agree it was better.

Originally Posted by Hamadriyad
    I agree. TDS's Hammerites --the warriors, the priests with wands, and the men who worked the forges-- were good designs. No need to change them.

--Thieffanman

Either is fine with me.

I can´t decide either But yeah, I noticed that in TDS those models were different. And by the way Herr_Garret, how do you know that Templars were inspiration for Hammerite order? I´m curious.

The TDS hammerites were the generic guard model that was only retextured and the sword was replaced with a hammer. Effortless attempts. Same thing with the City watch. There's really no excuse.

Resource preservation is horrible.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last