Thread: Deus Ex: HR - General Chat & Discussion (2009-2010)

Deus Ex: HR - General Chat & Discussion (2009-2010)

Ok today is my birthday and I demand from eidos new news

First off, happy birthday!

Your gift is the letter 'U'.

It has some relevance. Good luck with the speculation.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

U, as in utter disarray. Which is what your character will feel in the first ten minutes before he gets to the check point and his permanent health regen is installed and he finds his mini-arsenal.

Just kidding, I hope for Eidos and my own sake it is nothing like that.
    Why does no one remember this? Why isn't this taught in the schools?

Originally Posted by InGroove2
    what the last poster said was right, dude. a decade refers to 10 years, any ten years. like, one decade ago was 1999. or one decade after 2005 is 2015. it doesn't just refer to the even or round numbers. ease up.

maybe you're just as bad as "the humans"
    So you celebrate the end of a decade every time a year passes? Interesting.

Originally Posted by Mr. K

Thanks, I wonder what do you mean

The game is made on Unreal engine?

Eidos has made a U-turn and brought back medkits and shadow stealth?

The U letter is Deus Ex 3 logo is going to be replaced by a number?

Bono from U2 is buying Eidos again?

Stephane D'Astous is going to make another statement about the green lights?

I guess I might be close, huh?

There are even more announcements on the way that the fans are going to be Unhappy about?

Originally Posted by InGroove2
    what the last poster said was right, dude. a decade refers to 10 years, any ten years. like, one decade ago was 1999. or one decade after 2005 is 2015. it doesn't just refer to the even or round numbers. ease up.
    Sure, decade can be any arbitrary span of ten years, but "this decade" is something different. It implies that you have taken an entire span of time and divided it into decades. Again, you could choose an arbitrary point, but then your whole collection of best/worst of the decade looses meaning. I mean, I might as well decide to run a list of best 10 games that came out today.

But they are using December 31st as a cutoff. That's not an arbitrary point. That's a turn of a year on a Gregorian Calendar. And Gregorian Calendar has a specific starting point. A whole number of decades from that starting point will be up at the end of 2010. So if you are going by the Calendar to count off decades, you should be going with that starting point, and with 2010 as the last year of the decade.

Anything else is absolutely arbitrary and meaningless.

Originally Posted by K^2
    Sure, decade can be any arbitrary span of ten years, but "this decade" is something different. It implies that you have taken an entire span of time and divided it into decades. Again, you could choose an arbitrary point, but then your whole collection of best/worst of the decade looses meaning. I mean, I might as well decide to run a list of best 10 games that came out today.

But they are using December 31st as a cutoff. That's not an arbitrary point. That's a turn of a year on a Gregorian Calendar. And Gregorian Calendar has a specific starting point. A whole number of decades from that starting point will be up at the end of 2010. So if you are going by the Calendar to count off decades, you should be going with that starting point, and with 2010 as the last year of the decade.

Anything else is absolutely arbitrary and meaningless.
    well, it has always seemed to me that using the round numbers to, say, make a "best of decade" list IS in fact arbitrary and used for convienience. because there are also lists that denote the best of since... the best in the last 5 years... 10 years... they can make lists for whatever they want. the round numbers just make it simple and appear to mean something more, but it means about as much as a best of list.

and to thomasaquinas.... no i dont celebrate the decade at the round numbers anymore than i celebrate another year. it's purely ceremonial as far as i'm concerned. the idea of "celebratin a decade" or celebrating a century or a millenium even, is also, mostly for s n giggles. i mean really, it's not a hidden thing that the millenium new year was not 2000, but what fun is it to celebrate 2001 and NOT 2000?... truth is people just aren't that INTO the specifics, because ultimately it's meaningless (as in, the measuring of time is meaningless anyway), and it's ALL about the collective perception, not about what's technically the correct millenium year or decade.

i mean, why is a decade meaningful anyway? we just decide that 10 is more important than 5? or 3? or 20? or 12?
    let me ask you.... in 2000, at the first minute of 2000, did you stand mongst celebrating people with your arms crossed spouting off about how it's not reallythe millenium?

just like health regen, the more widely held perception wins. the question is then, does it make people dumb for not caring that there was no year zero? does it make people dumb to prefer their health to be regenerated in a video game? the answer to both is no.

also, it seems just as valid to me, that since despite the being no year 1, there was a day 1 and a minute 1. so while it was called year 1, we hadn't been living for a full year until year just before the start of year 2. so the start of year 1 is just after what would be year "0" or 1 bc. so the celebration of a year or a decade on the 10's is the celebration of embarking on another 10 years SINCE 2000 years prior to 12:01am in the year 2000, we were 1 minute into our 1st year a.d. and had NOT yet lived a year into a.d.

just like in older video games... where some would denote your last life as having 1 life left... and some owuld denote it as having 0 lives left.

is the last of your life the life you're living now? or does the life you're living count as the life you have left?

Originally Posted by Bono
    Bono from U2 is buying Eidos again?
    Hah, that made me laugh.

Hah, that made me laugh.
    And I can confirm the info.

Originally Posted by K^2
    Calling decade "60's" is a misnomer to begin with. And besides, having 2000 being part of this decade, while taking place last millennium isn't any better.
    If you take te start of a decade at 60 it will be 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 and how many numbers are there excuse me? 10 10 numbers are betwen 60 and 69 why? becouse 0 is still a number!!!!
    The time has passed the memories are gone but we are still here...

If you take te start of a decade at 60
    However, no sane people start counting decades with tens.

On another topic,

International PC Gamer team has decided that Deus Ex is the best PC game of all time.

Eidos Montreal, you'd better not fail.

Originally Posted by Bono
    International PC Gamer team has decided that Deus Ex is the best PC game of all time.

Eidos Montreal, you'd better not fail.
    They might have decided it deserves to be #1, but the mindless drones will still vote for Modern Warfare 2 cuz it haz nukes n 5hit

Edit: Which will only encourage EM to implement their brilliant ideas (such as third person cover, cinematic combat and regenerating health ) that are so secret that no one can know about them.

Happy Birthday, Sotoris.
    MrK, can we have another clue?
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

No... what?

Do you know something we don't know? Has MrK been disclosing information to you?!

signature image

Originally Posted by MyImmortal
    No... what?

Do you know something we don't know? Has MrK been disclosing information to you?!

More than you know.

No... what?

Sniff sniff, I smell a conspiracy against the Omar!

Don't worry, I know all about the dirty, crooked, double-crossing ways of humans. It's nothing new.
    signature image

BBC iPlayer isn't available outside of the UK, but for those who can use it, Blade Runner is there to watch for free!
    http://bbc.co.uk/i/plcmt/

I've seen that movie too many times, but I love it.

"More human than human" is our motto."
    signature image

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    BBC iPlayer isn't available outside of the UK, but for those who can use it, Blade Runner is there to watch for free!
    http://bbc.co.uk/i/plcmt/
    There is always a way to watch it

Well, yeah... I just thought it was a good opportunity for people who didn't have the DVD. It's very good quality, easy to access and legal. Everyone stays happy.

I've seen that movie too many times, but I love it.

"More human than human" is our motto."
    I haven't watched it enough! It still gets better every time I view it.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if I watched it first, and only read the book later. Not that I didn't like it, or anything.

Is it a good read? I picked it up but haven't got round to reading it yet.

Page 48 of 91 First First ... 3844454647484950515258 ... Last