Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: DARK ENGINE & Modding - All Discussion

DARK ENGINE & Modding - All Discussion

DARK ENGINE & Modding - All Discussion

Who exaclty owns the rights to the original Dark Engine? I think it would be amazing if someone cleaned it up id style and released it for building.

Why? Because look on the Thief forums - people all over the places are having huge problems running Thief, a source release means we can have source ports.

Updating - The original Thief can be easily enhanced to be up to scratch with Thief II - better sky, improved textures... There were a lot of things in Thief II I felt much more comfortable with over TDP.

Cross platform - A source port can be cross platform, playing Thief in Linux under Wine is very difficult. We could also potentially have console ports, Thief on 360, anyone?

Fan games - The Dark Engine could be rebuilt and used to create new fan games, whether fighting with SHODAN System Shock style or sneaking through a fat nobleman's mansion in a fan Thief game.

Commercial games - Yes, some small time company could build their own Dark game and sell it. Do we really need fancy schmancy graphics and engines these days? DNF was only going to be Unreal! (and it was unreal!)

So please - he who owns the rights to Dark, step forward, open that heart of yours and GPL Dark. If no one owns it anymore, why isn't it available in the public domain? Think about it.

Thumbs Up Thief IV: Modding & DLC / Fan Missions/ Level Editor

Just would hope/like to see the developers really craft something that allows for easy modding. The mod community for thief is huge and this could only greatly increase support long term for the project. There are a lot of really talented modder's out there. Doing this would have a serious positive impact for Thief IV.

I know it's early in the development but keeping this in mind from the start could be very fruitful further down the line.

Eidos owns it! The rogues over at TTLG have a formal request going and we're checking into it. Can't promise anything right now but we'll see!

Agreed. Thief's mod and FM community must be the largest of any game in terms of productiveness. There must be at least 500 FMs out by now. There were 400 in 2004 already.

Then we have Thievery and The Dark Mod.

Sadly Nightblade has closed down

Do it! DO IT!

Make the world a happier place where the Dark Engine can roam free.

Originally Posted by Vladimyre
    Just would hope/like to see the developers really craft something that allows for easy modding. The mod community for thief is huge and this could only greatly increase support long term for the project. There are a lot of really talented modder's out there. Doing this would have a serious positive impact for Thief IV.

I know it's early in the development but keeping this in mind from the start could be very fruitful further down the line.

Absolutely.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Subjective Effect
    Agreed. Thief's mod and FM community must be the largest of any game in terms of productiveness. There must be at least 500 FMs out by now. There were 400 in 2004 already.
    According to The Petition asking for the release of the Dark Engine's Source Code, there are over 800 FMs in existence.
    -Infinity

Oh and I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Canada...well except the whole Brian Adams thing...

I don't know if it's possible to forgive that one. *laugh*

Seriously, I'm actually optimisitic about this iteration of Thief, I can already tell the dev's are really looking for serious input. It'll be nice to see another studio's take on this, and I think you've got the core down mood wise so far. Thief was best played at night in a dark room IMHO the sound just plays a key roll in the series too. Good luck on the project!

Originally Posted by René
    Eidos owns it! The rogues over at TTLG have a formal request going and we're checking into it. Can't promise anything right now but we'll see!
    You guys rock

Thanks René! That would make history!
    pandemoniumart.net

11. Epic.

Originally Posted by Subjective Effect
    Take a look at the elder scrolls modding community.

Originally Posted by Vladimyre
    Just would hope/like to see the developers really craft something that allows for easy modding.
    There isn't anything like that any longer High-quality maps take long time to be built and you need to know how to use certain external 3d apps like Maya, 3dsmax, Blender, Zbrush or Mudbox - assuming you'd want to create something really unique.

Otherwise it will be less demanding, usually devs create and use "tilesets" of assets, allowing them to create environments they want in more meaningful manner. Releasing the editor would mean FM makers will have access to these resources.

And that's only the map making thing, without taking modding into account, which was never easy either You have to learn the basics of the game language and it's structure if you want to create anything more than just a custom script.

But for this moment, my questions are:

- Will the editor package be allowed for public distribution, i.e. shipped with the game? (hopefully, yes)

- Is the interface layout user friendly? How easy/hard it is to work with material/static mesh/sound/script editor? How many external formats will it import, etc. (Unreal Engine 3.0 is an excellent example of user-friendly interface and it's supporting multiple image/sound/static mesh formats).

- What kind of "world" it is?
    a) subtractive, where you cut your way out of the infinite mass?
    b) additive, the infinite void, where you add things and the visibility is based on BSP and mesh occlusion, rather than zone portals? (this is more frequent these days, I guess)

And a few more, but I guess first I (we)'d like to know whether ti's possible to hand the technology you're working on to your fans someday

Speaking of FM's, there are some killer FM's coming out very soon for T2!! Hammerite Emperium, and The Rose Cottage soon enough. Both are stellar!
    *3790*

Thief Online

In case none of you ever heard of this great mod made by BlackCatGames. Check it out at http://www.ThieveryUT.com. For the original Unreal Tournament (1999) which you can get for pennies on the dollar on Ebay. The mod is free and there are a handful of servers. I recommend the all seeing eye program to view the servers. Plus with the community coming together on these forums there are bound to be new servers to accomodate the masses. It's really great game play.

The A.I. is well done as is the movement characters (Thieves or Guards), levels, atmosphere, etc. It all comes together really well for an online mod and deserves the more attention.

i play the FM's all the time!
    they just HAVE to release the tools for this.
    i hope they do.

I really hope we get some type of modding tools for Thief4. Cause I really love modding games. In my opinion, every single player game should be moddable. It's one of the things that makes single player games so great.

Oddly enough though, I never felt the need to modify anything in Deadly Shadows, because I loved the game just the way it was.

Mind you, speaking as an wannabe artist/3D modeler, if I'd had some way to easily add my own art assets to the game, I'd definitely have made some graphical improvements .

It would mean so much. So. Much. And it would, upon release, create an amazing amount of buzz for the franchise, much more than if the source of any of its contemporary titles was released.

Also, bump.

--
    L.

Originally Posted by Dominus
    Thanks René! That would make history!
    No it wouldn't. History was made back when id released the source code to Doom. Eidos releasing the Dark Engine source would just be them finally getting with the times.

It would really be nice to see dark engine opened and have new life like Doom, Quake and Unreal.

Eidos own the code, but the code apparently dissapeared in an Eidos reshuffle about 8 years ago. The code was on a computer from looking glass studios, ionstorm had the computer for a while, then ionstorm went down the tubes and the code dissappeared soon after. Or its locked away in a vault somewhere deep under Edios headquarters, guarded by burricks and undead, and you need to be Garrett to actually get anywhere near it.
    Tuna, the chicken of the sea.

Originally Posted by Belboz
    Or its locked away in a vault somewhere deep under Edios headquarters, guarded by burricks and undead, and you need to be Garrett to actually get anywhere near it.
    Time to send in Stephen Russell!

Mods & DLCs

I was wondering. I'm hoping for a highly customizable Thief-game, but only if that doesn't sacrifice diversity and richness. So I thought it would be nice if EM would consider making DLC-s (they are popular, but not really great things), but not levels: tools, textures and models, Fan Mission-editors and such. There is so much creativity in the world: look at the best FMs for 1 and 2. An official help would make things easier. What do you think?

I would certainly love another Thief game that gets the same kind of mod community and T1 and T2 did.

But, like you said, that takes tools.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last