Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... Last

Thread: T4 - GARRETT: main character, or not? Or new female protagonist?

T4 - GARRETT: main character, or not? Or new female protagonist?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047

    Question T4 - GARRETT: main character, or not? Or new female protagonist?

    Should Garrett remain the main protagonist in Thief?
    Or if he is not the main character, what should his role be?

    What about the little girl that you see in the ending of T3: DS?
    Perhaps she has grown up and features in the new Thief?

    Discuss...



    __
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  2. #2
    Yes of course. Seriously guys, you will BADLY alienate people by changing from Garrett and very much get off on the wrong foot. Please. Don't do it...

  3. #3
    It seems that Eidos Montreal haven't decided on anything concrete and are asking the fans for input which is a good thing.


    Garrett will be the most popular choice, by far. But he MUST be played by Stephen Russel. Anything else would be a total fail.


    There is one confounding factor with choosing him - how is the plot going to progress beyond Thief 3? There had better be a compelling reason to use him and by that I mean a very coherent plot continuation because the fans will not like a nonsense plot that "spoils" the character. Having said that using another character would be sooooo risky. I personally would favour Garrett in a continuation from T3.

    Victoria - do a poll. The result is a foregone conclusion though.

  4. #4
    any way for playing multiple roles? And u can choose em at mission briefing. That way couldn't harm any Garret fan...

  5. #5
    Play some missions as the girl, others as Garrett (her mentor). Or even tag-team in the middle of a mission. Makes everybody happy, and also makes for some innovative gameplay, which is the foundation of this franchise.
    Death's Cold Embrace: A Thief 2 campaign due in 2012 eventually

  6. #6
    It's not Thief without playing as Garrett, and he should stay as the loner he is. So lets just ignore the girl from T3.... please.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by UrUkUs
    any way for playing multiple roles? And u can choose em at mission briefing. That way couldn't harm any Garret fan...
    This would badly affect the story so I wholeheartedly disagree. It MUST be Garrett or a huge chunk of excitement/anticipation for this game will vanish for 99% of Thief fans.

  8. #8
    Garrett should stay as the main character, only if you get Stephen Russel to play him. There should be optional side missions that involve the little girl. If you're unable to use Stephen Russel, then Garrett needs to be heavily involved in the game.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by VIKTORIA
    What about the little girl that you see in the ending of T3: DS?
    Perhaps she has grown up and features in T4?

    HOLY CRAP NO, that's what I was afraid of. I knew the ending of DS will get the devs some unbelievably stupid ideas. The ending had a purely symbolic meaning, it provided closure to the story, it might as well have been a boy instead of a girl and it wouldn't make any difference.
    If Garrett is not the player's protagonist, then just cancel this game. Seriously, don't bother or you'll be eaten alive.

    Don't you recall how FURIOUS fans of MGS were when they played MGS2? DON'T make the same mistake!

    Thief is the story of GARRETT voiced by Stephen Russel. Period.

  10. #10
    Thief without Garrett as main character is not Thief, make another game if you need to change Garrett, don't name it Thief.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    5,865

    Cool

    Yes, Garrett should remain.
    - signed -

  12. #12
    I say not. Given how T3 ended, I'd say it would just be selling on the brand if he was. It would be excellent if he had become a myth in the city - the "Thief who became a Shadow Lord", forever influencing affairs in the city while never being truly seen. The main character could be one of many copycats, seeking to attain the reputation Garrett has within the city. Eventually your character happens upon Garrett's affairs, slowly getting dragged in, learning what the man is really about while getting involved in the dark affairs of the cities shadow factions as they manuever their schemes to seek dominance.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by StalinsGhost
    I say not. Given how T3 ended, I'd say it would just be selling on the brand if he was. It would be excellent if he had become a myth in the city - the "Thief who became a Shadow Lord", forever influencing affairs in the city while never being truly seen. The main character could be one of many copycats, seeking to attain the reputation Garrett has within the city. Eventually your character happens upon Garrett's affairs, slowly getting dragged in, learning what the man is really about while getting involved in the dark affairs of the cities shadow factions as they manuever their schemes to seek dominance.
    I disagree 100% and hope to God this doesn't happen. Let me put this simply:

    If the protagonist is Garrett I will be waiting at the game store at 9am sharp upon release.

    If the protagonist changes it will totally ruin my enthusiasm for this title to the point where I will check reviews and forums very carefully before buying.

    Garrett is THAT important to this series.

  14. #14
    Without Garret it's not a thief game, he's a loner so keep him that was please. No romantic subplots. The extent to which he works with others should work like thief 2. Which is almost not at all.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,493
    Garrett is Thief a lone Thief. It would be easy to go back to his roots let's say.
    The younger character could be in it but not as a main character.
    Thief would not be Thief without Garrett. Stephen Russell as well.

  16. #16
    There are many thieves in the City, but Garrett is the only Thief.

    Thief without Garrett? No way.

  17. #17
    Garrett IS the thief series... but that's not to say we can't accept a new protagonist.

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by StalinsGhost
    I say not. Given how T3 ended, I'd say it would just be selling on the brand if he was. It would be excellent if he had become a myth in the city - the "Thief who became a Shadow Lord", forever influencing affairs in the city while never being truly seen.
    Garrett is a LONER. He would never become the "Boss of the Underworld". We don't need another Lara Croft, play Velvet Assassin if Garrett bothers you that much.

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by mister_riz
    I disagree 100% and hope to God this doesn't happen. Let me put this simply:

    If the protagonist is Garrett I will be waiting at the game store at 9am sharp upon release.

    If the protagonist changes it will totally ruin my enthusiasm for this title to the point where I will check reviews and forums very carefully before buying.

    Garrett is THAT important to this series.
    I'd agree that Garrett is probably one of (if not the) most important part of the series (I must add, Thief is my favourite game of all time, Garrett is my favourite character) But on a strictly narrative look at things, at the end of T3, Garrett was in a position of huge power. He should be in it (if only keep Stephen Russel on the job! ) But it would be nice to see them continue progressively from where T3 ended off.

    It would be awesome having him in the background constantly screwing with your own actions within the game as I see it.

    Originally Posted by Phaid
    Garrett is a LONER. He would never become the "Boss of the Underworld". We don't need another Lara Croft, play Velvet Assassin if Garrett bothers you that much.
    Not my point. He should be a loner. But now a loner invested with the remaining powers of the Keepers, forcing him to balance his own stubbornly independent methodology with the responsibilities forced on him.

  20. #20
    Wow, pro Garrett in here. Am i going to be stoned to death voting for that little girl in T3 to take main role?

  21. #21
    Originally Posted by Illuminus
    Wow, pro Garrett in here. Am i going to be stoned to death voting for that little girl in T3 to take main role?
    I'll stand with you

    Though perhaps not the girl. I'd rather have someone not "in the loop" as such.

  22. #22
    Originally Posted by Illuminus
    Wow, pro Garrett in here. Am i going to be stoned to death voting for that little girl in T3 to take main role?
    That would be going far too easy, how about burning at the stake under a rain of salt and feces.

    My enthusiam for the game will go from "im buying it the moment it comes out" to "wonder if there are any torrents out" if I find out something like that is going to happen.
    THIAF

  23. #23
    Garrett is thief
    Garrett is fail safe
    Garrett is The thief
    Garrett is Stephen Russel
    Garrett is what i am going to buy
    Do i have to say more?

  24. #24
    How about the mechanic Call of Juarez used, alternating between characters?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1
    I think Garrett should remain as the protagonist in T4. Garrett's personality and satiric comments has become a part of Thief and it would not be the same without him.

    The girl from the end of T3 could have part in the game (maybe as a keeper trainee) but should not be a playable character.

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... Last