Thread: YOUR THOUGHTS & WISHES & SUGGESTIONS for T4 - General Discussion

YOUR THOUGHTS & WISHES & SUGGESTIONS for T4 - General Discussion

Big Grin Message to eidos

as a long standing thief fan i have to give some thoughts

please do a good job creating those awesome thief environments, remember to take a good time creating really versatile and more unpredictable a.i ( that is not retarded lol ) than the previous, also make guards search alot longer for garret sometimes if they know he is nearby or
    have witnessed killing or things being stolen, maybe even have them form patrols and search for garret through out areas close to a reported or witnessed incident will sometimes last longer than thought.also maybe get suspicious at guards who are missing from returning shifts, have new guards come in and change shifts.

you should also make it still possible to stealth kill enemies as long as their backs are turned and unaware of your direct presence, even if slightly alerted , i think arrows should somehow do more damage to alerted opponents because it's ridiculous to shoot someone in the head 5 times with arrows and they still live, but you could have opponent armor variance to that
    offers them protection.

for garrets hideout, you may consider doing something high up and abandoned or something low and underground, but either way make his place a real den for a badass thief :P

maybe put in some more blood and gore to

make the storyline and event sequencing more richer than before! give us more sidelining and distracting things to explore into as well ( lots more places to break into hehe ), giving it slightly more of an open ended feeling with good npc interaction that will also draw you into other sub missions and things like before as well as over hearing interesting info by eavesdropping or finding peoples journals and notes.

maybe don't focus entirely on being in the city all the time, make some outskirt missions to :P

make the fight system even more in depth by creating versatile first person combat and ability for garret to combat his opponents rather than automatically get struck by melee as soon as he is in the vicinity of an alarmed opponent and forced to generally flee, make the combat really
    immersive and challenging
    but don't turn it into an assassins creed either lol... possibly give different opponents varying combat ability so u can be surprised by certain foes you come across if you are ever spotted.

for mobility i guess you could make garret a little more swifter slightly like assassin creed style,, i felt garret should always be a little faster than most ppl in the thief world generally, because he is a light weight thief, he has to be fast.

give us lots more of diverse thief gadgets and weaponry and definitely gotta have a crossbow, or mini pistol xbows or maybe even a wrist bolt launcher to lol, using wrist blades like assassins creed would be debatable i suppose.

give garret the option to use lots of weapons!

maybe some unlockable moves, ( please dont make them cinematic like garret loses control or goes out of first person lol ) but something like throat slashing moves
    possibly garret can snap necks or use people as shields from archers
    also maybe some unlockable combat techniques to give garret an advantage against stronger
    opponents

online coop would be great, maybe even a vrs.

maybe add a couple more factions ( while keeping the originals to ), maybe a thieves guild and a knights order, maybe even street gangs to

i think you guys are probably going to do an excellent job and make one of the best games
    anyone has seen in a long time!

THANKS!

I'd rather have a Thief game, please.

Here it comes...

Thank you for your attention.

Originally Posted by Herr_Garrett
    Here it comes...

Thank you for your attention.
    Quoted for truth.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

It was pretty good, up until the assassins creed, crossbow and more gadgets part. The only thing I think he forgot is a super slow motion 3rd person camera rotation zoom as you leap onto a guard's back to break his neck or stab him with a dagger that ejects from your wrist.

Originally Posted by takiton
    give garret the option to use lots of weapons!

maybe some unlockable moves, ( please dont make them cinematic like garret loses control or goes out of first person lol ) but something like throat slashing moves
    possibly garret can snap necks or use people as shields from archers
    also maybe some unlockable combat techniques to give garret an advantage against stronger
    opponents

Oh help me please...

I especially liked the part about him being "a long standing thief fan". That went straight to the heart. Did me a power of good.
    A burrick is for life, not just for Buildermas!

The absolute best troll is someone who has no idea that he's trolling.

...Actually that's just stupid. Not trolling. nvm.

Written Demands of Quality

Hello, this thread serves one purpose - an express written warning to the developers of Thief 4, by every person who cares enough to write in it. This thread isn't meant as a means of suggesting new ideas, or arguing about them, but solely as a public, easily found display to any who should read, that by using the title: Thief 4, Eidos Montreal has come into contract with the fans of the former games to uphold certain standards. Every post should be a simple letter or statement, and it should be what you demand as a thief player above all else. Please post your needs when it comes to thief 4, not simple desires (for example, in my case I'll make no mention of having the game be open world, though I would enjoy it, because it's not needed for thief 4). If you (future poster) are serious about Thief 4, please obey these simple requests. I will draft the first note, if you are feeling lazy, or feel the same as I, feel free to just replace my name with yours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, Hypevosa, hereby decree that if I am to purchase a game that assumes the title of Thief, as reference to the original games of Thief: The Dark Project (from here on noted as TDP), and Thief II: The Metal Age (from here on noted as TMA) as developed by the late Looking Glass studios, that that game must have these attributes above all others.

1. The game shall have great gameplay meaning the following:

---A. Character controls shall be faithful, and fluid in nature. For reference of what faithful and fluid character control, see TDP and TMA. For reference as to what unfaithful, and clunky character control, see Thief Deadly Shadows (from here on noted as TDS).

---B. Artificial Intelligence (from here on noted as AI) used to control Non-Player Characters (from here on noted as NPC's) will be of good quality and including the following:

------1. AI shall not give the NPC's abilities that would be denied them, assuming that they were controlled by a person including: explicit knowledge of the Player Character 's (from here on noted as PC) location.

------2. AI shall not have the NPC react unusually to a given stimulus. For example: In Prototype, civilians panicking while the PC is driving a tank around the town, will actually dive bomb down in front of the tire treads, as opposed to running to the perfectly open sidewalk.

------3. AI shall give NPC's (or at least some) the ability to make logical decisions. For example: If the NPC is hit by a blackjack on the shoulder, they will be able deduce that the perpetrator is probably behind them, and act accordingly, as opposed to searching the open street in front of them.

------4. Quality of AI shall exceed that of the AI found in TDP and TMA.

2. When designing the levels for Thief, they will be of good quality, meaning the following:

---A. Levels shall take full advantage of all 3 dimensions, and allow for access to various areas not simply by a single straightforward path. Sewers, rooftops, balconies, rafters, ropes, etc, should all be found within levels where they make sense.

---B. Levels will not be split into loading zones, but still be large. For example of what to do, see missions in TMA. For examples of what not to do, see missions in TDS.

---C. NPC placement in levels will be both logical and tactical. Logical, meaning for example, that there will be plenty of Guards found in a Barracks, and servants found in servants' quarters, and deviations should be explained (such as a guard courting a servant may be found in her quarters). Tactical meaning, for example, that an item of great worth will probably be guarded by one guard, or at least have a guard's patrol go by there.

---D. Levels shall not just contain loot and quest items, but also plenty of flavor text, meaning text which is not essential to the story or the game, but is included simply for the enjoyment of the player. For examples of flavor text, see writings found in the First City Bank mission in TMA.

3. The story and plot in Thief must be of good quality, meaning the following:

---A. The story remains faithful to the story originally told through the TDP, TMA, and TDS. An example of a story that would be unfaithful would be one where the keepers have gotten the power of the glyphs back and are exacting revenge on the city.

---B. The plot must not be perfectly straightforward, or easily summarized, but must contain necessary branches and or twists that keep the player engaged in it.

4. The game shall be properly tested as to expose glitches and should any be found afterwords, they shall be patched as promptly as possible. For an example of what not to do, examine the situation with EA and Bioware with regards to the Xbox 360 version of Dragon Age Origins, which was ridden with glitches and bugs but was not patched even a full month after release.

Should I, Hypevosa, find that the developer has complied with these demands, I will purchase Thief at full retail price when the opportunity affords itself, and I will keep the game indefinitely. Should the game break, I will purchase another, at full retail price to show my support for the developers.

Should I find that the developer has not complied with these demands before purchasing Thief, I will not purchase Thief unless it is pre-owned, meaning that the developer will not receive any profits for my purchase.

In the event that I should come into possession of Thief, and then discover that the developers have failed to meet my demands, I will sell the game to gamestop, allowing others to buy it used so that the developers will not profit from their purchase of it.

Hypevosa

I, Hypevosa, reserve the right to add or detract from this letter should I deem it necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Felt like writing it as formally as I could for some reason.
    signature image
    signature image

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we're in the position to issue demands... Howsoever much I agree with yours.
    A burrick is for life, not just for Buildermas!

I'm with you Hypevosa!

@Herr_Garrett: We are in a position to ask demands. Because Hypervosa's demands will only have effect on what he (Hypevosa) would do when EM does not meet his demands. EM however won't be effected by this contract(?) in any means accept they will make 1 (maybe 2) less sale per taffer who agrees with this list o' demands.

I do!
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

I agree with the statements in hypervosas letter.

I, ToMegaTherion, hereby decree that if it ain't got water arrows, someone's due a right good slappin'.
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

An interesting post. Perhaps one suitable for submission to the OotS Challenge?

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=98414
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

While I'm a little flattered, and would be willing to put it in there, I'd be the only person who's put a post in there. I already feel like a jerk being the only post in it as is (I thought at least JTR and platinum would post something there as well >_>).

As for your responses, thanks, feel free to add your own as was originally intended!

Originally Posted by ToMegaTherion
    I, ToMegaTherion, hereby decree that if it ain't got water arrows, someone's due a right good slappin'.
    and this made my day.
    signature image
    signature image

I make my demands known daily, heh heh. In long and short form.

Since people are already voting thumbs up for your post, it really is a good candidate for the contest. I'm never happy with how my manifestos turn out, though I like pieces of them. Anyway, I know they've been seen by the devs already, since before this forum was created.

To be more serious, my only real demand is for honesty. If it turns out that lots of things are different from previous games, as long as I'm told about it that's not a big deal, since I can decide if the changes sound interesting. If instead I hear a bunch of stuff about being "true to the series" and then find out that there's lots of stuff that I wasn't told about that's corrupting my Thief game, I'll be unhappy.

There's lots of things I'd like, but I don't really make demands about particular elements, since I'm only one person and don't have the right to issue demands.
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

Actually, you do have a right, and this forum was made for demands and general discussion, since no development company in their right mind opens a forum without knowing what that's going to lead to in general, which includes the extreme views that get people banned or mocked mercilessly. What's more important is to get all the information out of our systems and put it all on the table, and then they have the right to take from it whatever it is they will that we cannot predict. We have been granted a privilege to be vocal, and they can abstain from taking any of it to heart. Tact is something else, though.

Yeah, honesty would be greatly appreciated. Agreed. False hype, playing on hopes, and even patting themselves on the back for their work without us having a reason to agree is gonna make it very hard for me to care about any ol' T4 game.

I think that the degree of arrogance displayed in the opening post is gut-bustingly hilarious.

Buy the company, invest your own millions of dollars, Euros, Pesos or whatever, and then make your idiotic (at least at this point) DEMANDS.

This inanity and crass idiocy is to be applauded for its excessive peaks of stupidity.

touche!
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Originally Posted by theBlackman
    I think that the degree of arrogance displayed in the opening post is gut-bustingly hilarious.

Buy the company, invest your own millions of dollars, Euros, Pesos or whatever, and then make your idiotic (at least at this point) DEMANDS.

This inanity and crass idiocy is to be applauded for its excessive peaks of stupidity.
    Always the antagonist, and where would we be if everyone felt the same about everything?

I, along with every taffer in this forum, am the potential consumer, While I may not fund the project as it stands, I fund the future of those who make it. While my 50 dollars may not make a large difference, I can assure you if I choose not to spend my money, there will be many others just like me who will make the same decision. While I individually am unable to make a significant difference, the many represented by me will

Just because I wanted to write a formal statement of my feelings that does not make me an idiot. The intent of this thread was not that there be a single statement, but many. My intent, was to have everyone post their demands that they may be sifted from the desires, that my post might be drowned and go from becoming the words of one to becoming the words of many. That includes yours, theBlackMan. Authors will eventually drown in obscurity but their works are what lives on.

Your opinion of my pride doesn't matter, you're just as insignificant and unable to cause change as I am, and that's why I made this attempt to band us together. I want it to be seen that we taffers aren't here to boost our ego, to entertain ourselves, or just to network with other people. We're here because we care. That's why I want other people to post letters/statements akin to the one I gave. The tone of this thread isn't joking, it's completely serious, and so I intend to have all the posts deleted which are off topic, like this one.

Note: If either viktoria or theBlackMan reads this, could you please delete posts 3,6,8,9,10,14,15, 16, 17, and 18 as they all are off topic.
    signature image
    signature image

Originally Posted by Hypevosa
    and so I intend to have all the posts deleted which are off topic, like this one.

Originally Posted by Hypevosa
    Hello, this thread serves one purpose - an express written warning to the developers of Thief 4, by every person who cares enough to write in it. This thread isn't meant as a means of suggesting new ideas, or arguing about them, but solely as a public, easily found display to any who should read, that by using the title: Thief 4, Eidos Montreal has come into contract with the fans of the former games to uphold certain standards. Every post should be a simple letter or statement, and it should be what you demand as a thief player above all else. Please post your needs when it comes to thief 4, not simple desires (for example, in my case I'll make no mention of having the game be open world, though I would enjoy it, because it's not needed for thief 4). If you (future poster) are serious about Thief 4, please obey these simple requests. I will draft the first note, if you are feeling lazy, or feel the same as I, feel free to just replace my name with yours.
    Anything not falling in line with this basically, is off topic, and should be deleted, though I'm allowing "I agree" like statements to still count (though they probably shouldn't)

Imagine someone having a thread where everyone counts up by one with each post. If someone posted "B" it would be off topic and deleted. Good example?
    signature image
    signature image

Page 56 of 101 First First ... 64652535455565758596066 ... Last