Page 6 of 90 First First ... 23456789101656 ... Last

Thread: Taffers' Tavern - WELCOME / INTRODUCTIONS - & General Random CHAT Thread

Taffers' Tavern - WELCOME / INTRODUCTIONS - & General Random CHAT Thread

Big Grin great news

Hi all, l,m Robert

The thief series is alive again.

Thanks for making another great game to keep hard core gamers busy!!

l,m old as the 8088
    and a great coder in that era

Hello!

Been a Thief Fan ever since I played "Dark Project" :-). I'm from Silicon Valley in California, USA :-).

--Thieffanman

Greetings, my fellow taffers, it's Klára from Hungary!

Reading all these posts make me feel bad about never being involved in the online Thief community, but I guess the announcement of Thief 4 is a good opportunity to join in the fun. Welcome another regular TTLG lurker on stage!

Everything began around 2000 with the Thief 2 demo... I couldn't believe a game level could be so vast, complex, full of secrets, so ALIVE. I fell in love with the City and its amusing inhabitants, with the atmosphere, and with the mysterious and witty master thief, not to mention the brilliant voice acting. It was perfect in every possible way and you could really feel the devotedness of the Looking Glass staff. Ever since then I've played Thief 1-2 so many times that I stopped counting after a while, it just became a habit, an addiction. Deadly Shadows also had its good points, but it was pale in comparison to its memorable ancestors.

I've come to this tavern for the same reason as most of you taffers have; to take part in the creation of another legend. : )

Good luck with the making of Thi4f (lolz, still looks so weird) and feel free to depend a lot on our tips and ideas!

Greetings everyone. I'm Jilly from England. And thiefobsessedgirl from the Looking Glass forums.

I've loved Thief ever since Dark Project back in 1998. Nostalgia >_<

Really looking forward to Thief 4, just to experience the dark and patient atmosphere that makes Thief so special to me.

Originally Posted by siklara
    Greetings, my fellow taffers, it's Klára from Hungary!

Reading all these posts make me feel bad about never being involved in the online Thief community, but I guess the announcement of Thief 4 is a good opportunity to join in the fun. Welcome another regular TTLG lurker on stage!

Everything began around 2000 with the Thief 2 demo... I couldn't believe a game level could be so vast, complex, full of secrets, so ALIVE. I fell in love with the City and its amusing inhabitants, with the atmosphere, and with the mysterious and witty master thief, not to mention the brilliant voice acting. It was perfect in every possible way and you could really feel the devotedness of the Looking Glass staff. Ever since then I've played Thief 1-2 so many times that I stopped counting after a while, it just became a habit, an addiction. Deadly Shadows also had its good points, but it was pale in comparison to its memorable ancestors.

I've come to this tavern for the same reason as most of you taffers have; to take part in the creation of another legend. : )

Good luck with the making of Thi4f (lolz, still looks so weird) and feel free to depend a lot on our tips and ideas!
    Sziaaa!

Originally Posted by tender19
    Sziaaa!
    Szia! I've read your introduction and was expecting you to be here anyways.

To be on-topic, it makes me sooo happy to see all these Thief fans gathered here!

A special welcome to all the Hungarian taffers!

But of course I'm happy for everybody else too, here is a little surprise to prove it:

I've introduced myself in the DX3 forums but I guess I should say some stuff here too, because I'll spend a lot of time on these boards as well. So, I'm a 25 years old guy from Hungary, from a small town near the Hortobágy. I work the night shift for an online company and write news articles for PC Guru Online (like the Thief 4 announcement ). I fell in love with the Thief games when the T2 demo came out, I loved it and played with it for many hours. But I have to admit I first met this legendary series when I was a bit younger, just really starting gaming with my first PC (yeah, I joined the club a bit late, didn't have the money before) and I'm ashamed to admit it but I found T1 boring and dumb at that time. I've only played with games like Doom, Shadow Warrior and Blood before, so I didn't know a lot about what gaming can offer. I installed Carmageddon 2 instead. But after some time I opened my eyes and saw that there's more to gaming then just shooting and blowing stuff up. And after Thief 2 I got DX1, T1, T Gold and started looking at other genres too, like RPGs, RTSs and so on.
    So yes, Thief was a big influence in my life too. Thank you Looking Glass and Ion Storm!

Sorry, I didn't want to write such a long post.
    Tabrett Bethell's films - a blog with all the info you need.
    signature image

Welcome, fellow Taffers.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Been taffing around since Dark Project. I was amazed by the athmosphere which this game created, this game is truly an artwork and i love it. I am from Austria, Vienna

I just realized I haven't said hello on here yet! I'm René, I live in Montréal, and I work at Eidos Montreal. (duh!) I'm a fan of Thief since the beginning. Here is a pic of my desk!

^
    Wow, the coolest desk... EVER!!!!
    signature image

Hi, I´m 22 and student of physics and philosophy.

The Thief games inspired me in so many ways (hehe not in the way you may think )

...through them I got interested in architecture/art history and even did some concept art.

I even think that the games brought me to philosophy because concepts like order and chaos, the ultimate failure of a single (narrow) worldview are major themes in the storyline.

In my opinion the DS plot finished this idea perfectly -the very philosophy of balance (of the keepers) failed because ultimately it was as narrow minded as the other two itself, while in the end Garrett brought balance by acting without suppporting any philosophy but with pure common sense.

Haha I´ve studied so many philosophy books (east and west) just to find out that computer games I´ve played years ago are containing a bit of the ultimate truth
    ORDER AND CHAOS TRANSCENDER
    New science: www.amitgoswami.org

Hey! My name's Kaelyn and I'm glad to join you guys. Unfortunately, it's been a long time since I've been able to relive Thief 1 & 2, but I must say, they definitely opened my eyes to a new gaming experience, particularly Thief 2. I also legitimately enjoyed TDS, despite its flaws.

Because of my financial difficulties I will probably not be able to play Thief 4 until it is already a rather old game, because I am unable to purchase a PC (I have a Mac laptop through my school--hey, it works well for composing!) However, I still want to see it be as great a game as it can be, so I'm happy to offer my suggestions, for what they're worth! Don't listen to the cynics--we as a community are thrilled to learn that there's going to be a Thief 4, and we're excited about the possibilities. I think with a franchise like this it is absolutely essential to listen to the fans, so I hope you take in all of our suggestions! Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by René
    I just realized I haven't said hello on here yet! I'm René, I live in Montréal, and I work at Eidos Montreal. (duh!) I'm a fan of Thief since the beginning. Here is a pic of my desk!

You are very lucky to be a part of this game's creation! i look very much forward to learning more about this game and finally getting a chance to play it! best of luck with developing it. So far I really like all of your group's energy and excitement... please keep it up! PS: I like your desk decorations

Originally Posted by VIKTORIA
    ^
    Wow, the coolest desk... EVER!!!!
    Except for DE2 and TDS

Mmmm, I guess I am inclined to agree.

Welcome new Taffers!
    signature image

Except for DE2 and TDS
    Nope, they look great all together.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Necros
    Nope, they look great all together.
    Well, maybe, but I'd be ashamed if I spent money on those Maybe as a gift I would welcome them, but... I only own Thief 1-2 and Deus Ex GOTY. Still in need of a T:Gold though.

I wonder if Eidos is planning to make a Thief trilogy box-set with T:Gold and extras, before T4 comes out...

I wonder if Eidos is planning to make a Thief trilogy box-set with T:Gold and extras, before T4 comes out...
    René, I hope you see this and will make it so!
    signature image

How rude of me to not introduce myself and I'm already at my 24th post exluding this one.

Greetings fellow taffers.

I'm 26 and I'm from Malaysia. That's the country above Singapore and yes, we do speak English.

Started with TMA meself. It was love at first sight. But seeing as how I started with the sequel I was a bit lost at the time.

I was working as a waiter in 2000 after my O-levels when I met a fellow taffer/waiter. That guy was totally in love with TDP and haven't played TMA yet and I just finished TMA and was looking to get TDP.

We ended up trading our discs and when the restaurant went bankrupt 9 months later, we stopped contacting each other. Neither of us bothered to call to get back our games. I guess the pain of seeing each other again would have too much or somethin. I dunno.

I must be going against the trend here when I say I enjoyed TDP more than TMA. The Trickster thing really spooked me honestly. The Industrial thing in TMA while not bad just wasn't as scary. Plus, TDP had the very, very hot Viktoria. Hubba, hubba.

Oh, you guys remember going through those caves with them Burricks around? It was the scariest ***** ever. I remember holding my breath when I was walking past a herd of them, listening to their heavy breathing, praying that they won't hear me. That is how you make a game people!

And people wonder why we love TDP and TMA so much.

^
    Better late than never!

Welcome.
    signature image

Hello all,

I'm a 22 year old from Houston, TX.

I'm a long-time thief player, and a long-time Eidos/TTLG forum lurker. If you've seen me around, it's been me asking how to jerry-rig TG onto my computer or to tweak TDS so that I can actually play it. My brother introduced me to TMA when I was 10, and I loved it, even though I was awful at the playing style. Thief got me started on stealth-based gaming and I've never looked back! Here's hoping the new game lives up to its predecessors.

Originally Posted by René

I hope you don't mind, may I show this? Who here has one? This is my hat. I would wear it, I look like a total dork and thug when I put it on. I've got the same games, same trapezoid boxes. Strictly Thief speaking that is.

*3790*

Originally Posted by BrokenArts
    I hope you don't mind, may I show this? Who here has one? This is my hat. I would wear it, I look like a total dork and thug when I put it on. I've got the same games, same trapezoid boxes. Strictly Thief speaking that is.
    Whoa, cool! Did you buy that years ago or did you make it?

Thank you! Oh no, that was not made by me. That is an original Eidos T2 hat. Years ago, one of the admins around here sent those hats out to people on the forums, Eidos and TTLG a few taffers that helped people, basically the hardcore members. I believe theBlackman, and probably Peter Smith also have one, there are others. I was very touched, and it was utterly cool to get it. I guard it with my life, lol.
    *3790*

Page 6 of 90 First First ... 23456789101656 ... Last