Thread: Tomb Raider: Legend lagging on next-generation for high-end pc's

Tomb Raider: Legend lagging on next-generation for high-end pc's

This thread is dedicated to discussing problems with next-generation on the computer.

I have a pc with a Pentium D processor, 3 gigabyte RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra video card. The video card is powered by a 650 watt power supply. My monitor has a refresh rate of 60. The game's settings are on high. All settings are at maximum except for the refresh rate (see above) and the resolution (1024X768.) I am not running sli (just one 8800 ultra) and I have all the latest drivers for my devices. (latest forceware and creative drivers) I have a Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio video card in case that is relevant. I am experiencing lagging on certain parts of the game (Peru, Ghana and Croft Manor in particular. The game is running on Vista. (I played it on my XP with a Geforce 7950 GX2 and it still lagged.) I have checked that the game is running under a normal priority in task manager, and that only one processor is dedicated to it. (I have checked priority and affinity.)

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem and/or has a solution.

Thank you.

Tried it on XP

Hey,
    I recently reinstalled my OS's and programs, and I am now dual-booting with XP and Vista. Legend only runs a little smoother but may be lacking a very small amount. The main point, however, is that Legend must have been made for future high-end PC's if an Nvidia GeForce 8-series cannot run it completely smoothly. Anyway, I guess I'll just attempt running this in the future in Sli or perhaps on a GeForce 9-series.

Before I formatted my PC, I had Legend running at 'full tilt' in terms of graphics & display options, including next-gen content and a 75hz refresh rate. I use an NVidia 7600GS card with the latest drivers on an XP OS with only 1GB of RAM, nothing I'd class as special.

The only time the game ever lags is when entering new areas, where I assume all that info is being shifted about. Like when you arrive at the temple on the first level, the frame rate goes choppy for about 5 seconds, then all is perfectly fine after that.

Your PC is far more powered than mine, I have no idea what's causing you problems.

135Tom when you were running on Vista and XP:
    Did you apply patch 1.2?
    Did you disable EAX?
    Did you disable your antivirus(some of them cause the game TRL to stutter in some sections of the level)?
    Did you try running with only 2GB of System RAM(Trying to run with more than 2GB of RAM on 32bit Vista and XP will cause errors)?
    Did you try the latest beta Forceware drivers?

I updated to patch 1.2
    I ran it a while ago with 2 gigs of RAM, but now do it with 3 since I received more memory cards. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how to run it using just 2 (should I remove a 1gig memory card or is there a simpler way)
    I did not try running it without EAX, thanks for tip
    I did install the latest Forceware and often update
    I disabled my antivirus, but to no avail

I am curious to know what qualifies as a lag. Once in a while the game stutters. Is this what the rest of you experience when its not doing too well? I want to know if what I am experiencing is normal, if their is an error with my computer, or if the game is merely so advanced (it really does have nicer graphics than most) that it requires a more powerful pc

The easiest and safest way is to remove the 1Gig RAM from your mainboard. Some of the lag can be caused by antivirus checking the files as the game streams data to the RAM.

I visited a few sites and got these benchmarks:
    Source 1
    Source 2

New Monitor

I just received the Samsung model 245BW monitor I ordered. I am now running all my games on 1920X1200. I felt like I wanted a good laugh, and therefore decided to see how badly TRL would lag on such a setting. I was now able to select higher resolutions (I of course chose the maximum as I suggested I would) and was also surprised to see I could change the refresh rates, which I put on the maximum I was allowed, 75. I used FRAPS to see the framerate (FRAPS is a video capture program, but to avoid lagging, I never use it in TRL, I just look at the frame rates it always gives) and I was surprised to see that the game ran much better than before! The settings were on maximum and next gen was on! There were a few places where it dropped to noticeably low framerates (15) and would be evident. I am wondering if anyone now has a suggestion about what would further improve gameplay. (Turning of Vsync or changing some other setting)

Thank you.

Stunning

By the way, I would also like to add, that having put the graphics to those maximums, those rare lags are not really bothersome. Especially not when the game is more beautiful than ever. I can honestly say that this is better than The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and the Half-Life series.

Maybe it's an issue with the game itself. If you read Gamespot's review of Legend on the 360 you see even on that machine it had lags. By the way, the places you mention that lags.....are these the quick time events section?

Lag Locations

I do not experience much lagging in the quick time events (occasional) but rather in places such as Ghana, Croft manor and other highly-detailed locations. It does not only occur at the start of these, however. Its an interesting issue. I may remove 1 gigabyte of memory to see if that is the problem. It was interesting to see that someone running it with a Geforce 7600 and 1 gigabyte of memory could run it seamlessly. I did manage to try the game on xbox 360 and found the game's graphics to be lacking much of what I see on PC, yet it too lagged.
    I'll be trying to disable vsync and other options as well. I think I recall a solution offered by technical support a while ago which involved going into the game's directory's files and editing a configuration file. Of course, when I go into the directory these days, I only see .BIG files. I have contacted technical support about this, but they only suggested running it under certain priorities and affinities, which I then tried, but to no avail.

Now that I'm looking at Croft Manor again, I see that it lags even on lower resolutions without vsync. Are there any other suggestions? (I am planning on trying the game with just two gigabytes of memory later this week)

Interesting Dilemma

I've searched this forum and have found several people who have resolve this issue or have never experienced it. (lagging issue) Curiously, many have used GeForce 7600 cards and other older hardware. I'm now convinced that this game will not run on high-end pc's, well, almost convinced.

GeForce 7600 GS

I am thinking about purchasing a 7600 GS graphics card (temporarily downgrading to play trl). I want to know if that is likely to help seeing as how many people had such cards and were able to run the game. Could people viewing this post who are running the game seamlessly tell me what technical specs your computer has? (CPU, graphics card, RAM)

Does someone know if one's motherboard could cause problems? I do not have one from Nvidia, but have the factory one, a Phonix ROM BIOS Plus Version 1.10 A03?

Memory Card Results

I removed 1 gigabyte of RAM yet found that it slowed gameplay. I have the game running at a higher rate due to less startup and troublesome programs. However, there are still low frame rates and problems. Also, I found the game to run at a much higher frame rate on XP then on Vista.

So basically th game still lags. By the way, if you ask me it's the drivers. There's no insurance that using a GEForce 7600 will make the problem disappear.
    I forgot to ask this.....what programs are running in your taskbar and did you defrag before and after TRL's installation? Did you try running it without the patches?

Yeah, I'm beginning to thing that the Forceware drivers are faulty. I hope they release a new one or that these ones will be good for Tomb Raider Underworld (apparently TR8's official name). I'm sorry, but what do you mean by taskbar programs? The task manager shows only the very basic programs were running, (msconfig helped me cut down on startup programs). However, I now set up the internet for my XP and have full internet security and anti-virus software. Thank you for the tip about defragmenting, I will try that tomorrow if not today.

By the way, did anyone start a forum for the new tomb raider yet? I wonder if there will be a press release.

I tried defragmenting an it helped quite a bit, thanks. However, this program and I will never be completely at peace. Anyway, I'm hoping the tech support guys will be able to give me some more advice.

I have googled the hell out of this subject and pretty much come to the decision that the games engine is pants in Next-Gen. And this usually is the result of a game that's been ported across from console rather than developed independantly.

Like the Original Poster, I can run Crysis very smoothly at high res so my PC should eat thru this games "next-gen" for breakies!! but I too continue to suffer ....

I just hope we port get a ported version of the upcoming Underworld but knowing our luck we probably will due to development costs and deadlines !