Thread: Colour/Texture problem!!!

Thumbs Down Colour/Texture problem!!!

I have a BIG problem. Yesterday I decided to play TR Legned again. I installed the game and had a very unpleasant surprise. As I watched intro, I noticed that the colours were way different than they're supposed to be and, when the start menu appeared, my first thought was "What the hell is going on?!"". Everything was flickering and changing colours all the time. Sometimes it would return to normal, but just for a few seconds, so I wanted to ask what do you think about these pictures. The last time I played Legend was a year ago and everything was perfect, but now...

P.S. I noticed similar problem when I played Bloodrayne 2 the other day and I deleted the game, but I'm also playing TR III at the moment and it works just fine. Got any ideas? What could have changed during this year?

Oh, and I'm not playing with next gen content, my PC is too...erm...stupid. I found threads in this forum about similar problems, but those were only when playing with next gen.

Hi,

Firstly it might be an idea to check the resolutions and such and ensure your PC is 'tweaked' to ensure that the game marries up with the setting requirements.

Try uninstalling the game and then reinstalling it after reading the manual so that you can adjust your settings. Just a thought

Lo
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I've tried reinstalling the game several times, but nothing changes. I doubt that my PC doesn't ad up with the game's requirements, because I've played it before... I don't know what's wrong..

If it's happening in other games, it probably isn't the game itself. It's more likely a driver problem or (pray it's not) a problem with your graphics card. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

Unhappy

Well I reinstalled the drivers, but now it's showing this message when I'm trying to launch the game: "Failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings". What does that mean? I'm getting tired...

Yes, it sounds like it's trying to say that your card doesn't support some function the game requires, but this can't be the case as it ran OK previously.
    The only other thing I can think of (and I was going to suggest this in my original reply) is to try reinstalling DirectX. You can't UNinstall DirectX but you can REinstall it. I have done this on many occasions and have often fixed problems by doing it.

You can download the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft here :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/

Make sure you get the full redistributable, not the websetup version. There is a link in the 'Additional Information' section of the websetup version's download page. This is important because the websetup version only upgrades out-of-date components, it won't 'repair' any of your existing components.

When you run the .exe, it will extract all the files to a folder of your choice. From that folder, run dxsetup.exe

Hope it helps.

BTW, I think it looks pretty cool. It looks like Lara has code tattoed all over her skin. I wonder what it says. And is it ALL over her?

Stop that now.

No, it's not ALL over her.

By the way, I used your link and I can only download that stuff if I pay over 100 euros.

What? That can't be right. DirectX is part of Windows and upgrades to it are free. You do have to validate your copy of Windows to use the websetup version, but the redistributable version is free and doesn't (yet) require validation.

Are you sure you're following the right link?

On the DirectX home page, follow the link 'Get the latest version of DirectX here'. This takes you to the page for the websetup version. Then, in the section headed 'Additional Information', click the link to DirectX Redist.

This should take you to a page headed 'DirectX End-User Runtimes' with a download button.

Oh, OK. I'm downloading right now.

Sounds feasible - let us know if it solves the problem will you? Just so we know what to suggest should anyone experience similar problems
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I downloaded that directx and then I extracted it. There was a DXSETUP.exe. I clicked and it showed me this message: "This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.". When I press OK, it starts/continues to install something, but it doesn't fix the game.

P.S. I managed to fix that problem above and installed DXSETUP.exe, but the game is still a mess. I'm starting to think I am not ging to be able to play Legend on this PC anymore... That's a shame, because I really wanted to do it before Anniversary gets released. And I have a very bad feeling, that it will be the same with the new game. Well, at least I'm getting a new PC at the end of the summer.

P.P.S The only thing I have in mind to fix this, is reinstalling the whole system, but that takes a lot of time so I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon...

Hmmm. Sounds like the problem goes a bit deeper. Framedyn.dll is part of Windows itself (it's part of the WMI framework) and should be in the Windows\system32\wbem folder.

Something has obviously damaged Windows. Odd that you're not seeing other problems.

You could try copying the file into the folder from another machine or extracting it from the i386 folder on your Windows CD using the expand.exe program in the same folder. For example, if your CD drive was your D: drive, the command would be D:\i386\expand framedyn.dl_ c:\windows\system32\wbem\framedyn.dll
    This could be problematic if your CD is original XP or XPSP1 and you have installed SP2 later, as the version of the file may be wrong. Also, the file may require registering using regsvr32.exe
    (regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\wbem\framedyn.dll)
    Apologies if any of this is a bit patronising but I don't know the extent of your technical experience.

However, if this file is missing or damaged, there could be others.

What I would do if this were my PC, would be to run a repair of Windows from my original Windows setup CD. Not Recovery Console, but a repair.
    Boot from the CD and follow the leads as if you were going to install XP from scratch. When it detects an existing installation of XP, it should offer you the option to repair it rather than install a fresh copy.
    This will recopy all the Windows files without losing your settings and data and stuff, hopefully repairing the damage.
    The downside again is that, if you installed SP2 at a later date, you will have to reinstall it as your setup CD will restore all the original versions of the files. Also, any Windows updates will have to be reinstalled.
    Still a lot better than a full reinstall, I'm sure you'll agree. At least you will not have to reinstall all your applications and stuff.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'll try it on Friday, because Wednesday and Thursday will be quite busy.