Thread: I've Never Played a Dragon Quest Game

I've Never Played a Dragon Quest Game

For a gamer that is looking to get into the Dragon Quest series, what game should I start off with? I posted this topic in the original Dragon Quest forum because I assumed that many would answer that I should play the original. After hearing enough about the series over the years, I figured that it's finally time to give it a shot.

Originally Posted by Ksquall
    For a gamer that is looking to get into the Dragon Quest series, what game should I start off with? I posted this topic in the original Dragon Quest forum because I assumed that many would answer that I should play the original. After hearing enough about the series over the years, I figured that it's finally time to give it a shot.
    Hey ksquall, I'm glad you asked this, it's a very good question!

Personally, depending on what console you have, the first I'd recommend is Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2. It is easily one of my favorite games, period. Also it is probably the most inviting in terms of Dragon Quest games, which are very conventional (but near perfect in execution).

From there I'd check out DQIX on the DS and the DS remakes (IV, V, VI).

Let me know what your plan is, and of course what you think once you start playing!

I might start with Dragon Quest VIII or IX to act as a buffer to the older games. Sometimes jumping into a series at the first title can make everything feel a bit dated, but if you want an old school Japanese RPG experience (which most of these games offer) you could actually start anywhere. If you want to start with the first Dragon Warrior, more power to you.

Make sure to tell the queen you love her.

Definitely give it a shot, if you love RPGs you really can't go wrong. I'd recommend trying IX first and see if you like it, then work your way back to the older titles. Some people really didn't start to appreciate the series until they played IX for whatever reason.

After IX grab IV, V and VI on the DS if you can find them (there have been some great sales on Amazon for them lately). The spin-offs are solid (Monsters, Swords, etc) but Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime for the DS is a must play, it's one of my favorite games of all time. Though I have no idea how easily it can be found now. There's a sequel to it on the 3DS in Japan now, hopefully it makes it overseas as well.

If you don't like JRPGs and just want to get a feel for sort of the extended universe of the series, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime for the DS is a very fun platforming/stategy/rpg hybrid.

Also it's adorably cute.

Originally Posted by Wind

Personally, depending on what console you have, the first I'd recommend is Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2. It is easily one of my favorite games, period. Also it is probably the most inviting in terms of Dragon Quest games, which are very conventional (but near perfect in execution).

Let me know what your plan is, and of course what you think once you start playing!

Thanks!

Dragon Quest VIII works well because I have a system that I can play it on. I suppose that I can begin with that one and go from there. I'll be sure to let you know my progress as well. ^_^

Thanks Earth and TokoTamer as well. LOL, I had to avoid double posting. I appreciate your replies and advice.

Thanks!

Dragon Quest VIII works well because I have a system that I can play it on. I suppose that I can begin with that one and go from there. I'll be sure to let you know my progress as well. ^_^

Oh boy, I'm actually really happy to hear that! DQVIII is such JRPG bliss, I wish I could experience it for the first time again.

Thanks!

Oh boy, I'm actually really happy to hear that! DQVIII is such JRPG bliss, I wish I could experience it for the first time again.

Hehe, you're getting me excited. LOL

The DS ones might be a good place to jump in. They're pretty accessible while still keeping that classic feel. If those don't appeal to you, check out VIII.

Just looked it up out of curiosity, it's still very afordable new!

www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-VIII-Journey...

Originally Posted by TokoTamer

FTW!! Thanks. That is really affordable!!

Originally Posted by TokoTamer

I'd just like to add this game is VERY LONG. Especially if you take the time to explore the world and do the sidequests. So you'll get a lot of mileage off an aforadable purchase.

Also, can I just say that Jessica's character model has the best "physics"? You'll understand when you start playing.

That's perfect. I enjoy being very thorough with a game and I love long ones.

I need to finish playing this series. I played through DQ, DQII, and DQIII a few years back, and I went and bought all of the other games, but I still haven't started IV.

Probably DQVIII as suggested then move onto the DS titles.

I however am a sucker and would start with the first and move my way up if I hadn't played them all.

DQVII is one of my favorites and I personally hope we see a 3DS remake for it in the future.

I'm glad someone posted about VII.

DQVII on the PSX is by far, one of the LONGEST and HARDEST (kinda) rpgs I've ever played. Certainly the longest.

If you can find yourself a cheap copy on ebay or somewhere (You're going to be paying a good 25-50 dollars depending) get it. But do not do this as your first game in the series.

For your first try, go for one of the earlier ones to start out with, get a feel for the series. The DS games are all fantastic, I loved VI the most.

But seriously, when you're ready to invest a good 60-100 hours into your next rpg, get VII