Thread: Is this an MMO or just a PVP platform?

Is this an MMO or just a PVP platform?

Is this an MMO or just a PVP platform?

I am curious about this game because i always had hoped for Legacy of Kain to be revived in the form of an MMO RPG or something. And as announced it has been, only after looking at the footage reveal it looks far too lack luster to be a true MMO.

Does it look this way because it is in fact just a PVP platform for players to fight against each other in Nosgoth? Or is it just that it looks to be less than it is because it is still in its Alpha phase?

PVP platform is closer. Players go into a deathmatch map. One team (vampires) uses melee attacks and the other team (humans) uses ranged attacks. You can customise your character's appearance and abilities between matches.

Everything they've said so far paints this as a PVP arena game, in the same vein as TF2.

Looking forward to the Q&A on Monday to get more details.

That is what i feared, i was hoping for more of a story focus

Originally Posted by Benjy-of-McGinn
    That is what i feared, i was hoping for more of a story focus
    A few of us have been pushing for SE to include unlockable pieces of story in between matches. I think George might have hinted towards that being the case, but I can't find the quotes to confirm it. SE are basing future content on the feedback we give, so it might be worth it to keep asking.

I would hope that they would include that because Legacy of Kain has always been a very big story focused series, seems a waste to just use it for a PVP Platformer. Fingers crossed on my end

Just arena battles? ONLY arena battles?? Please tell me that's just one aspect of a much larger game. You'd be missing out on the epic success you could be getting out of using this world. I don't care if you make it pay to play, if you make this 10 times deeper and an open world, with the potential for leveling up and roleplaying, yes I'm serious, this game could take over the irl world. I would stop playing Wow, no lie, but I'm not doing it to be restricted to 3 ugly vampire races and a couple of pvp boards everyone has memorized.

The launch trailer states clearly that there will be story missions where you side with either humans or vampires.

There is leveling up, we're just not sure what the reward for it is yet. Hopefully it will be explained tomorrow.

That's a little better.

I love this series as much as the next fanatic, but a LoK MMO would cater to approximately 0.05% of gamers out there right now. It would not succeed in the least, no matter how much we would want it to. Part of the reason WoW was so popular is because Warcraft was already a popular series and many people knew the lore. Even in LoK's golden age it was still a pretty niche game. I'm just glad the series isn't forgotten, and would be perfectly happy with just a cameo voice appearance by Simon Templeman or something to announce rounds starting and such in game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Simon refused.

He was asked recently if he's in the game and he said no and hadn't heard about it, but that he'd love a chance to reprise Kain. So, if they asked him to voice Kain for some reason (cutscenes are apparently currently outside the budget, and probably so is his salary, but maybe some future voice over by Kain might work) then he would do it.

Originally Posted by AlterRequiem
    I love this series as much as the next fanatic, but a LoK MMO would cater to approximately 0.05% of gamers out there right now. It would not succeed in the least, no matter how much we would want it to. Part of the reason WoW was so popular is because Warcraft was already a popular series and many people knew the lore. Even in LoK's golden age it was still a pretty niche game. I'm just glad the series isn't forgotten, and would be perfectly happy with just a cameo voice appearance by Simon Templeman or something to announce rounds starting and such in game.
    Part of the problem here is that Nosgoth is a bit different and maybe something of a genre-buster (or maybe a genre blender?) - it crosses a few lines, so it's hard to describe exactly what it is. But Nosgoth isn't an MMO - Massively multiplayer games have thousands at once, Nosgoth has 8.
    Most of the genre acronyms given by people are a bit inaccurate - there is a reason they plumped for the words "online multiplayer" as to how they originally described it. Its perhaps not as descriptive as people would like, but it's more accurate than any of the other terms.
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

well nosgoth is kinda like forge but with better mechanics and gameplay

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    A few of us have been pushing for SE to include unlockable pieces of story in between matches. I think George might have hinted towards that being the case, but I can't find the quotes to confirm it. SE are basing future content on the feedback we give, so it might be worth it to keep asking.
    I would love to see that. Personally I think it would be great to have little scenes or pieces of narration accompanied by art here and there using the in game assets showing what happened around that time and filling in or showing some of the lore. I wouldn't expect it incorporated into the main game, but it could be a cool treat in the extras menu (if they have one).

I would love to see things like the various clans killing humans (maybe some vampire worshipers) and raising them like Kain did with them. That and maybe get Simon back and show what Kain did during those times. I know George more or less said he skips ahead (which I think many expected anyway), but we also know Kain spoke with his Lieutenants even though he didn't bother with his empire for the most part then. It would be great if we could see Kain talking with them and using the chronoplast etc.

I know, I know. I can dream though. lol
    signature image

I wouldn't say Forge is a good comparison - something like Unreal championship 2, or Left 4 Dead 2 are much closer. Thing is that Nosgoth has elements of lots of things - you might see MMOs or MOBA (though it really isn't by genre definition), I'd see closer to FPS, (but it can't be that because it's third person) etc etc. It's genuinely is just a little bit different to the usual genres.
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia