Thread: Lost to the ages.... [Suggestion towards lore injection and item unlocking]

Lost to the ages.... [Suggestion towards lore injection and item unlocking]

Lost to the ages.... [Suggestion towards lore injection and item unlocking]

Just a thought for some additional activities in the game and combining them with the unlocking system for gear and cosmetics.

Players get a "temple" (or respective dwelling) in which they can view their stats, customize their classes, and unravel the mysteries of nosgoth. This doesn't necessarily need to be a 3d navigatable area, but a well designed thematic interface like a book or armor stand, book, trophy plaque describing your victories (Stats) and so forth.

Amongst the temple, a player has a section for "mysteries" or "plots" or some such in which they piece together bits of evidence ranging from scraps of armor to pages of books or even spoken phrases to unlock lore tiddbits AND new gear and/or cosmetics.

A player obtains these items either through random chance, OR by killing someone with one of the items pertaining to a mystery. For instance, you kill a hunter with a massive tome chained to his back and receive a scrap of one of the pages, starting your mystery to earn one for yourself as well as learning its significance and something about the greater nosgoth.

One bit that comes to mind

Probably my favorite part of that game
    Last edited by Kriegson; 28th Sep 2013 at 11:01.

It certainly would be an interesting way to add a story without lavishly animated and voiced cutscenes. I'm not too keen on the whole "Kill someone who has it equipped", as that would open the possibility of hardly anyone equipping certain unpopular items, and leaving them to stagnate without hope of spreading. Maybe they could be tied into level progression?

not overly convinced. A lot of the Nosgoth lore seems like random name dropping and I think this would only continue it

Originally Posted by CountEyokir
    not overly convinced. A lot of the Nosgoth lore seems like random name dropping and I think this would only continue it
    Names are not significant without events they took part in or caused, this could rectify that by giving meaning to a name rather than simply name dropping.

@PoppaKain
    You could tie in unlocking more bits (Cosmetics or weapons) from mysteries once you have solved previous ones, also a random chance for something to drop regardless of what people are wearing or using just to ensure you progress.

I suppose - so long as the items and relics are not just randomly dropped in there without reason. Some random Turelim for instance has no business just coming into battle with the Nexus Stone

Originally Posted by CountEyokir
    I suppose - so long as the items and relics are not just randomly dropped in there without reason. Some random Turelim for instance has no business just coming into battle with the Nexus Stone
    No, but after the battle you may uncover a cache within a collector's home which is in ruins with exception of the artifact, mysteriously unscathed...etc.

I don't think you should just find things lying around randomly. You should have to earn it either leveling up or meeting special requirements. It would add more depth to the gameplay that way. It can get frustrating to keep relying on random chance.

EDIT: Imagine you're Kain in the chronoplast returning after centuries to see what happened or maybe right before throwing Raziel into the abyss. He sees that his empire is going to fail and makes his descision to challenge the fates for a better throw.

I think that would make a great theme in which to showcase the lore as it gets unlocked.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 28th Sep 2013 at 12:23.

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    I don't think you should just find things lying around randomly. You should have to earn it either leveling up or meeting special requirements. It would add more depth to the gameplay that way. It can get frustrating to keep relying on random chance.
    The idea is that you might (randomly) find something that starts, or helps to piece together a mystery, but completing it requires anything from active puzzle solving skills, to acheivements. I could see a couple different things like:

Tome of the clans:
    A massive book bound in leather tanned from the hides of unfortunate human slaves upon a time, and written in their blood. Though the pages remain intact, the words cannot be read. Perhaps if you bring it with you into combat, more will become clear...

-After killing humans in a match with tome equipped-

Blood spattered upon its surface seeps into the pages themselves, filling in the words long since crumbled to carbon and dust. Some of it is legable, but not enough to make sense. It will require more blood to reveal its secrets. (Kill 50 humans with tome equipped)

Which in turn may unlock another mystery requiring you to actively do something to the book (re-arrange phrases? Glyphs?) to solve a mystery which unlocks further content (and more mysteries!).
    In essence, very simple and time tested system of advancement, but with a flair and theme fitting for nosgoth that sets it apart.

I'm down with all of that Keep suggestions like this coming. They're looking for the community's input.

Originally Posted by The_Hylden
    I'm down with all of that Keep suggestions like this coming. They're looking for the community's input.
    I hope so

Actually using the lore and grand exposition rather than tossing names around could make all the difference between this being just an arena fighter with the LoK theme, and a LoK game merely of a different stride.

Perhaps in the style of Achievements on Xbox or Playstation. They could unlock a codex. Items could also be unlocked. If you played Fable 1, a lot of lore was attached to items.
    Example:
    Kill X Vampires: (Learn the history of the Sarafan)
    Killing Spree: (Learn how Vorador slew most of the circle)
    Re-Kill someone shortly after they respawn: (Learn about William the Just --Kain killed his other incarnation-- *leave me alone, that's relevant lol* below)
    Drop X enemies to their death: (Learn about Raziel's 'trip' to the abyss.)

I had other ideas, but some take place in other timelines. (William the Just, I originally thought of Moebius being killed by Kain/Raziel in Defiance).
    That isn't unreasonable when one considers that Kain did warn his Lieutenants of Raziel's return *Rahab and Melchiah * so learning of other events could be somewhat reasonable.

I could see it done most realistically in this way ^

While I love the idea of getting artifacts and solving some puzzles, more likely the game will simply be an arena shooter and only just -_-.

I love the idea of bringing the Dark Chronicle (the encyclopedia that Soul Reaver 2 had) to the game. The menu thing can be anything well implemented, a book woul be good and an effortless method.

Also, the idea of discovering bits with achievements, like, for example, killing a number of vampires playing as any human to unlock knowledge about the Sarafan and the almost extinction of the vampire race. Or an about page for Anarcrothe by doing stuff with the alchemist.

Also, it shouldn't just be text. It could include images from the previous games and cutscenes. It could also bring upgrades and new weapons from other games with their information, like Kain's iron sword or th flaming one, or Kain's jump ability from Blood Omen 2 to upgrade the vampire jump/leap.

Also, the vampire's "upgrade menu" could have stuff like the cocoons they go into when they are through the "state of change".

Just some ideas out of my skull