Page 4 of 4 First First 1234

Thread: We're taking this whole thing too seriously.

We're taking this whole thing too seriously.

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    No one needs to meddle with his story in a reboot or otherwise.
    Gasp! No HD re-release with a free collectible bobble head??? Blasphemy!

Originally Posted by Le_Don
    Well, I have to correct some details. First I never said Nosgoth shouldn't be made - I'm just saying maybe this whole concept is a bad idea.
    Isn't that much of the same, though? Especially considering you actually said "horrible" earlier, which is much stronger than just "bad".

I'm a developer myself and I would fell bad, if their project may get cancelled or when the guys are getting death threads like the guys of Black Ops 2 and so on - that's a shame. But just because I'm a LoK fan doesn't mean everything is great, just because LoK is somewhere in it. Second I never dictated anyone, what they are supposed to do. I did mention it in a posting of mine, that it is absolutly fine when people support Nosgoth and even have fun with it - please, do it, if you feel like! I'm again just guessing, that it is maybe better not to so or at least not just silently accept it, as the developers won't never know what they customers want, if they don't speak up and that is the part, I tried to explain to you earlier (which I don't mean in an assaulting way). In the end all the people, who speak up against Nosgoth, want to make a sign of what they want and that is a new, "real" LoK game.
    Well I didn't say that you are *dictating* what people should think, but you cannot deny that you *were* trying to influence their opinions, suggesting that people shouldn't support it because that is supposedly "better" for the franchise.

But we can agree to disagree on that point. What I think is more constructive is to come up with alternatives to make people's opinions heard on the desire for a SP LOK game, *without* having to boycott NG

Beside that I guess I overwrote it in my previous post, but I want at least give Nosgoth a chance and try out. Still I'm very sceptical, but I guess nobody can blame me for being that.
    Great

You forgot a "not", didn't you ?
    Whoops, indeed I did. LOL, that makes quite the difference, doesn't it

I never said it would be - it just not *that* unique (which is not a bad thing, btw).
    Okay, so thus far people here were only able to come up with a *few* other games that may be getting close to NG. That tells me that while NG may not be super unique in some aspects, there is still not too much saturation in the market of vampire MP F2P games

Originally Posted by Dagren
    Okay add Brink to the list for the parkour stuff. But that's not my point.
    Be that as it may, my point stands that you can't say there are a million games exactly like Nosgoth out there. We can talk genre saturation, but I never find that a good argument, because if something is good, it's good, and to me it doesn't matter how many other games in the same genre may be out there; if people want to play it, that's all that counts, IMO.

I wasn't saying Nosgoth isn't unique or uninspired, it's just that MP arena games (especially designed around a F2P business model) is a genre that is kind of a bandwagon nowadays, where every publisher tries to have a hand in it.
    Which is not a bad thing, btw. Devs go where the interest of the gamers lie. If a particular market is doing well, why not try to get a piece of the action.

When I said that I was answering to Rexidus who said:

In that context I don't think the genre Nosgoth competes in is "anything new", as it is a crowded genre.
    That's all.
    Well, if you want to go full circle and go back to what Rexidus said, then my rebuttal would be that he didn't even *claim* that NG is using a unique genre.

He simply said that the devs want to try something new for the LOK franchise. And you definitely cannot claim that a F2P MP game is something the LOK franchise has been long known for, can you

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Originally Posted by Swagraven
    Gasp! No HD re-release with a free collectible bobble head??? Blasphemy!
    A HD re-release isn't a reboot as the only thing to change is the graphics quality.

To be honest the vitrol on these boards has turned away from the forums. I'm very interested in the game but there are only so many times I care about someone ranting and frothing at the mouth over the number of fingers someone has... I honestly feel badly for the developers that the reaction has been so overwhelmingly vile for fairly unimportant issues...

People need to realize that LoK was DISCONTINUED. Production on it was ceased, which I explain in my other topic exactly why. These developers are doing us all a favor by bringing it back into the gaming industry. There was never going to BE another LoK game until they came along. They are reviving the series as best they can, and they are giving it to us for free. I've been keeping an eye on this game since the speculations first arose about a War for Nosgoth domain. They even let out a statement before the announcement warning us that it wasn't your traditional LoK game. If you guys chose to ignore their warnings, perhaps that is your fault. This is a new era of LoK. Let's all try to keep an open mind here.

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    I think Nosgoth gives us a new chance to get a single player game in the future.
    finally someone who understands the world

I think the vitriol on this board has calmed down considerably. Mostly, people are offering constructive criticisms and when voicing about the vampires' looks, trying to do so because they care, not to lump on the developers.

Also, I wouldn't exactly call what the vampires do in the game "parkour." I don't think parkour is slamming your claws into stone and hurling yourself inhumanly on top of buildings. Using the body gracefully to climb things, yes, but no parkour person can climb a solid wall of stone 20+ feet tall without some other geometry around to spring off of, for instance. Nor is it jumping twenty feet in the air and slamming into the ground, or lunging the length of a city block from rooftops onto someone like lions pouncing on prey ... or swooping down from the air. Etc.

Originally Posted by Driber
    Okay, so thus far people here were only able to come up with a *few* other games that may be getting close to NG. That tells me that while NG may not be super unique in some aspects, there is still not too much saturation in the market of vampire MP F2P games

Be that as it may, my point stands that you can't say there are a million games exactly like Nosgoth out there. We can talk genre saturation, but I never find that a good argument, because if something is good, it's good, and to me it doesn't matter how many other games in the same genre may be out there; if people want to play it, that's all that counts, IMO.

Which is not a bad thing, btw. Devs go where the interest of the gamers lie. If a particular market is doing well, why not try to get a piece of the action.
    The thing is, I'm not sure Nosgoth has what it takes to keep people interested in it. A lot of the games I mentioned are pretty much dead as we speak. And they weren't bad. The audience they might have attracted have left for newer titles in the genre, not necessarily because they prefer the newer games, but because their friends/the hype train have moved on to them.
    There is tough competition. Granted there aren't many games like Nosgoth, but just as they weren't many games like Brink, War of the Roses and the other ones I mentioned.
    And there are games out there and coming up that have a lot more going for them than team deathmatch, like objective driven modes and so on.

At the end of the day, granted, I don't know much about Nosgoth (hell, I've seen one short trailer), so it might still surprise me.
    But as it stands, there are other releases that are coming up that have me a lot more excited to play with my brothers/friends over the internet. While I'm starved for a good action adventure game on my pc to play on my own

Originally Posted by The_Hylden
    Nor is it jumping twenty feet in the air and slamming into the ground, or lunging the length of a city block from rooftops onto someone like lions pouncing on prey ... or swooping down from the air. Etc.
    if it were, i would have started parkouring a long time ago. rofl
    signature image

While I'm starved for a good action adventure game on my pc to play on my own
    Please. Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, dmc, GTA V, Darksiders II, Mass Effect III, Far Cry III, Bastion, Saint's Row IV, Assassin's Creed III, Max Payne, all came out since 2012 — and these are just the popular, action focused, PC available ones, not even touching on more RPG or puzzle adventure games or console exclusive releases. Next year we'll have Castlevania: Lords of Shadow II, Thief, Batman: Arkham Origins, Watch Dogs, The Evil Within, and who knows what other awesome stuff. And don't tell me you've played all the great action adventure games of past years, either. I doubt there has ever been a period when awesome action adventure games haven't been made. Those experiences have always been popular. Find some new series to get absorbed into.

Originally Posted by Sam250
    Please. Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, dmc, GTA V, Darksiders II, Mass Effect III, Far Cry III, Bastion, Saint's Row IV, Assassin's Creed III, Max Payne, all came out since 2012 — and these are just the popular, action focused, PC available ones, not even touching on more RPG or puzzle adventure games or console exclusive releases. Next year we'll have Castlevania: Lords of Shadow II, Thief, Batman: Arkham Origins, Watch Dogs, The Evil Within, and who knows what other awesome stuff. And don't tell me you've played all the great action adventure games of past years, either. I doubt there has ever been a period when awesome action adventure games haven't been made. Those experiences have always been popular. Find some new series to get absorbed into.
    The only problem here is that we will play an online game. I don't see the connection between single player games and mmo's. A story ? Maybe, but in single player games you will try 100 times and finally you will pass the "boss, npc's" etc. , here i can kill you over 100 times and i will change my style every time.

I think you've misunderstood. Read what I quoted again. Dagren is looking for single player action adventure games.

Every single soul is talking about that. Why don't we just drop the subject and wait to see how things go on? That would be really nice... after nosgoth is finally release, I think it would be worthy to comment on the subject again, but for now, it's useless. They won't stop developing Nosgoth for another game like the original franchise. If we are lucky, after making nosgoth, they start over to work on the series.
    signature image

The thing is, I'm not sure Nosgoth has what it takes to keep people interested in it. A lot of the games I mentioned are pretty much dead as we speak. And they weren't bad. The audience they might have attracted have left for newer titles in the genre, not necessarily because they prefer the newer games, but because their friends/the hype train have moved on to them.
    There is tough competition. Granted there aren't many games like Nosgoth, but just as they weren't many games like Brink, War of the Roses and the other ones I mentioned.
    And there are games out there and coming up that have a lot more going for them than team deathmatch, like objective driven modes and so on.

At the end of the day, granted, I don't know much about Nosgoth (hell, I've seen one short trailer), so it might still surprise me.
    But as it stands, there are other releases that are coming up that have me a lot more excited to play with my brothers/friends over the internet. While I'm starved for a good action adventure game on my pc to play on my own
    Of course you don't know if NG has what it takes, you haven't played the game yet.

Games losing their hype train some time after release is nothing new. Happens with most.

NG isn't trying to compete with any of the giant MP titles I think, so there little point comparing it to them and saying "it won't be as popular as XYZ".

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Personally I find that their lore takes away from the theme of the narrative, especially with the Razielim. They were the stuff of fan legend and now--they look like a quickly redone version of the flying Vampire model from Dead sun. (I'm just saying...) and are brought out to dance for us on stage, loosing whatever mysterious dignity they had before being shuffled off back to oblivion again. Way too more effort was put in trying to make the lore fit rather than making it memorable, likeable, interesting, relevant or important which I think is a terrible precedent to set.
    Let me just state some things for the people who like the idea of this game, including the 16 who went down to London. Nobody asked for this game. Nobody wants to see another like it once its come and gone. The best most fans can hope for is to tolerate its existence in hopes that it might spawn a REAL LoK game somewhere down the line, which is the advise I see put out most often and advice think hopeless naïve.
    This game, if it wants canonability, needs a narrative that shows the story telling methods of LoK at its peek. Otherwise the casual gamer ain't gonna find the cut scenes, five minutes or more long, of a standard classic LoK endurable.

Originally Posted by Driber
    NG isn't trying to compete with any of the giant MP titles I think, so there little point comparing it to them and saying "it won't be as popular as XYZ".
    Look at games in the same genre, on the same platform, and/or with the same price model. A search on Steam for free-to-play, multiplayer games gives us Super Monday Night Combat, Team Fortress 2, Planetside 2, Warframe, Tribes Ascend, Awesomenauts, War of the Roses, amongst others. I wouldn't guess they are the best/most popular games in the genre overall, but I would consider them Nosgoth's direct competitors. Hmm... Nosgoth has an original, eye-catching theme/style compared to those games, and quite possibly the team that can make it work mechanically. Does it have a chance?
    Last edited by Sam250; 3rd Oct 2013 at 19:09.

Page 4 of 4 First First 1234