Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is 'Next Gen' on Legend?

Question What is 'Next Gen' on Legend?

Here is a question for the tech guys at Eidos and CD. or anyone that knows the answers. There is enough conjecture going on in the forum, so NO guesses please.

• What exactly is 'Next Gen' on Legend?
    • What does it achieve?
    • Is there a video card available now that takes full advantage of it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thumbs Down

I am absolutly pissed at Eidos for not answering a simple question, but i'm not surprised, why should they....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The standard rendering mode is basically last generation with none to very basic shader usage... "Next gen" is just marketing name for Current DX9 level graphics coded poorly because they don't give a ratz ass about PC Gamers..

There is no single card available that can achieve a stable 30FPS in "Next Gen" mode... Perhaps with SLI/Crossfire its playable.. I don't know.

I get a stable 40-60 fps using next gen just fine, 7900 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by King_dbm
    Really? Are those the special nvidia only optimisation then or are they King_dbm only ?

Using 84.42. I dunno, In outside levels like the first level, i get 40 fps, in some RARE cases it drops to 35. Inside, i get a good 60, but drops to 50 sometimes, and in some really dark places, with little HRD i get 70 (like king aurther tomb.

Using 84.42. I dunno, In outside levels like the first level, i get 40 fps, in some RARE cases it drops to 35. Inside, i get a good 60, but drops to 50 sometimes, and in some really dark places, with little HRD i get 70 (like king aurther tomb.
    Do me a favour, get to the end of the first level, as you turn that last corner looking over the bridge and take a screenshot with framerate showing.. I just don't believe you . . Also on the second bike level would also be interesting that ran at less then 15FPS for me..

Sure, where is a good place to upload them, and how to i post them? I haven't posted pics on forums before.

Here are some screenshots, from the start of three levels to make it easy... I think they show how bad the framerate drops are..

Match them, enable next gen and AA, then post.. If AA gives your a performance hit then post 2 for each, oen enabled, one disabled..

Kazakhstan
    Bolovia
    West Africa

I dunno where you can uplad them, dont you have webspace from your isp ?

*EDIT*

Ok, so i can't be arsed going to the spots that you wanted, but i loaded up some levels, and went to some spots that were demanding, as well as some spots that weren't as bad, and i'll post a few pics for you to see. Granted, Some places i do infact get 34-36 fps, but they are rare cases, and still playable. On the other hand, there are rare cases i get 70 fps. Most of the time, it's around 40-50. This is with AA off ( i don't think it's really needed with next gen) but with it ON, i get a 10 fps hit, in some cases less, but never anything more then 10 fps, so just - 5 - 10 fps on whatever you see, to figure on AA

Foilage shot
    [img=http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9021/trlss6foilage0dt.th.jpg]
    Some HDR lighting, with out AA
    [img=http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3402/trlss25yq.th.jpg]
    Same HDR shot, with AA
    [img=http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1010/trlss2withaa3qk.th.jpg]
    Artic Shot
    [img=http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5247/trlarticshot4zu.th.jpg]
    Waterfall
    [img=http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6703/trlss3waterfall4ke.th.jpg]
    Large View - NO AA
    [img=http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6597/trlmaxview6vm.th.jpg]
    Large View - With AA
    [img=http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9792/trlviewaa2ig.th.jpg]
    Lol, this is with King_dbm drivers :-p

There right at the start of the levels, they couldnt be any easier to find..

How did you manage to mess up the links?, get in the same spots otherwise its pointless comparing. Also try and use the same resolution, 1280*1024.

How is that possibe I use 2 7800 Gts in SLI and the game is completely unplayable in Next Gen mode?
    I don't beleive you play that smoothly.

Link work for me, do you really need me to go look at ALL these demanding areas? I have one of your waterfall shots included. We are talking about general game play here, not "lets find the most demanding spots" I said, for the most part, I get 40-50 fps, those screen shots proove it. Even on that waterfall scene it's 41 fps. What more do you need? I included one AA off, and one AA on shot.

EDIT: I'm going to resize the images so they are more viewable.

you don't studder at all?
    If i'm sitting still my frames are good too.

Link work for me, do you really need me to go look at ALL these demanding areas? I have one of your waterfall shots included. We are talking about general game play here, not "lets find the most demanding spots" I said, for the most part, I get 40-50 fps, those screen shots proove it. Even on that waterfall scene it's 41 fps. What more do you need? I included one AA off, and one AA on shot.
    Match the shots or go away and stop wasting my time.

No studdering at all, smooth all the time. When i first bought the game, I had to do a 360 and it studdered the first 10 seconds, after that, smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky
    Match the shots or go away and stop wasting my time.
    Don't be sour because I get better FPS then you, you said prove it, i did.
    I just Added to new pics of the most demanding area in the game, that i know of. (one of the ones you wanted to make ss of) One is with AA, the other is with out, Scroll up. However i said before, This doesn't really show my NORMAL FPS through out the game, as i said before, running Fraps, my average FPS ends up being about 41 fps.
    I'd also like to add, as i said before, I don't play with AA, i don't think it's really needed in this game, and it's not worth the preformence hit, but in most cases the hit isn't that bad, i'd just rather have 40 fps, instead of 35-30

Don't be sour because I get better FPS then you, you said prove it, i did.
    I just Added to new pics of the most demanding area in the game, that i know of. (one of the ones you wanted to make ss of) One is with AA, the other is with out, Scroll up. However i said before, This doesn't really show my NORMAL FPS through out the game, as i said before, running Fraps, my average FPS ends up being about 41 fps.
    Argh, Grow up.. I want comparision shots I can save and present.. The West Africa shot is close but doesnt look right.. ..

But yes you are getting a higher FPS then I am but please match the shots as there useless to me otherwise..

Argh, Grow up.. I want comparision shots I can save and present.. The West Africa shot is close but doesnt look right.. ..

But yes you are getting a higher FPS then I am but please match the shots as there useless to me otherwise..
    Sorry, you just seem hostil, as I am doing this FOR YOU, and it's wasting my time, as I don't have a lot (I work fulltime). Sorry if i came off rude. Anyways, I posted one of the shots, and tried to match it up, hope it helps. I think it might be your ATI card, you know how ATI and Nvidia are picky about different games, as your ATI is much better in oblivion. Could be dual core aswell, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by puppeteer
    How is that possibe I use 2 7800 Gts in SLI and the game is completely unplayable in Next Gen mode?
    I don't beleive you play that smoothly.
    A 7900 GTX gets better FPS in a lot of cases then 2 7800 GT. In almost all cases actaully. (Not by a lot though)
    Look at these benchmarks. First look at this one, and scroll all the way down to the bottom, and look at the 7900 GTX, look at the FPS
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ance/page5.asp
    Then Look at your two 7800 GT's In SLI
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...nce/page11.asp
    20.2 (7800 GT SLI) vs 20.3 7900 GTX

Remember, Oblivion takes full advantage of SLI, much more then most games, so i doubt TRL takes as much as an advantage (just a guess though). However, since the FPS is still pretty close, TRL should be about the same. So maybe CPU limited? What is your CPU? is it dual core? Thats my best guess anyway. Probably a combination of all 3 ATI + dual core + bad SLI / crossfire support. this is just an assumption, and could be VERY wrong.

Sorry, you just seem hostil, as I am doing this FOR YOU, and it's wasting my time, as I don't have a lot (I work fulltime). Sorry if i came off rude. Anyways, I posted one of the shots, and tried to match it up, hope it helps. I think it might be your ATI card, you know how ATI and Nvidia are picky about different games, as your ATI is much better in oblivion. Could be dual core aswell, not sure.
    Thanks for the Bolovia shot, I was just annoyed as you pretty much ignored what I asked you to do and did your own thing.. Also whats you having a fulltime job got to do with this? You think I don't also have a fulltime job ?

Thanks for the Bolovia shot, I was just annoyed as you pretty much ignored what I asked you to do and did your own thing.. Also whats you having a fulltime job got to do with this? You think I don't also have a fulltime job ?
    A lot of people don't, but nah, my point was i just could be spending my time else where... because you said (stop wasting my time) I was trying to imply that it was also wasting my time :-p Ya, i did my own thing, I just didn't really know what areas you were talking about, your Screen shots helped.

I'm actaully just kind of happy I sold my 7800 GT, because i was going to SLI it, and after reading the previous posts, i'm glad i sold it and bought a 7900 GTX (cost about the same, sold my 7800 GT for 300 dollars which helped pay for it) So in the end, 7900 GTX cost me 300 bucks :-p

Ok, but you are cheating us, you are using the best graphic card available, i could do the same with that card

10fps vs 26fps @Kazakhstan

that's a huge difference...can you 2 plz post you system specs ?
    did you do some additional settings @graphics card options like AF ?

No, not really. People have been saying that in order to get good FPS you have to have crossfire or SLI, and that high end single cards wont do it. I was trying to adress that statement, i wasn't trying to wave in peoples faces the FPS i get. Also, it might help adress the problem which could be: Drivers, Graphics card, CPU limited, SLI not working correctly. I was just tryin to shed some light on what i got. I'd LIKE to see other 7900 GTX comment on the same FPS as me.

If I knew how to tell what my FPS is in TRL, I'd tell you
    AMD Athalon X2 4800+
    BFG 7900 GTX 512MB
    Corsair XMS PC3200 2GB
    Asus A8N32-Deluxe
    Raptor 10,000 RPM 74GB (x2)
    Logisys 550W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast