Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is 'Next Gen' on Legend?

Quote Originally Posted by marx1848
    If I knew how to tell what my FPS is in TRL, I'd tell you
    http://www.fraps.com/download.php

running 1280x1024 at 75 MHz refresh with all graphics settings set to max, I get a constant 30 FPS in England.
    AMD Athalon X2 4800+
    BFG 7900 GTX 512MB
    Corsair XMS PC3200 2GB
    Asus A8N32-Deluxe
    Raptor 10,000 RPM 74GB (x2)
    Logisys 550W

Thumbs Down

Well thanks very much for the chat guys, all very interesting an all, but it doesn't answer my question.

Now if only Eidos would give some customer care for once, I wouldn't get so damned frustrated. I've done a lot of work here to help other members over the years, but I'm the one that gets treated like a spammer.

To Eidos, if you don't want me here and don't want to answer my questions, why don't you just ban me and get it over with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Sumpfmolch
    10fps vs 26fps @Kazakhstan

that's a huge difference...can you 2 plz post you system specs ?
    did you do some additional settings @graphics card options like AF ?
    Sure..
    X2 4400+@2800MHz
    2GB G.SKill DDR500@560
    X1900XTX 690/800 CAT 6.4
    X-Fi Music
    etc..

It's a ATI related bug clearly, very dissapointed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by dhama
    Well thanks very much for the chat guys, all very interesting an all, but it doesn't answer my question.

Now if only Eidos would give some customer care for once, I wouldn't get so damned frustrated. I've done a lot of work here to help other members over the years, but I'm the one that gets treated like a spammer.

To Eidos, if you don't want me here and don't want to answer my questions, why don't you just ban me and get it over with.
    Do you really expect them to list every single DX9 feature there using and how they implemented it ?

Its the difference between no complex shaders and with complex shaders, Next gen uses SM2.0/3.0 where as the (standard rendering) Last gen mode appears not to..

Try this.... they might help you. .

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winhec...30_nvidia.mspx
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA5
    http://www.elitebastards.com/page.ph...d=1&comments=1

Isnt google great..

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky
    Do you really expect them to list every single DX9 feature there using and how they implemented it ?
    This is an Eidos forum, What I expect is for someone in the know, to explain exactly what Next Gen is, As far as TR Legend is concerned.

Not sure what you are trying to say about DX9 features? What's that got to do with my question?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is an Eidos forum, What I expect is for someone in the know, to explain exactly what Next Gen is, As far as TR Legend is concerned.

Not sure what you are trying to say about DX9 features? What's that got to do with my question?
    What exactly dont you understand? What are you asking?

Next Gen in very simply terms is DX9 mode ! Is that hard for you understand?

Sure..
    X2 4400+@2800MHz
    2GB G.SKill DDR500@560
    X1900XTX 690/800 CAT 6.4
    X-Fi Music
    etc..

It's a ATI related bug clearly, very dissapointed with them.

Drool...

Nice rig dude.

Hint on the cost?

King DBM, do you have 256 or 512 MB on your card?

I have one asus 7800 gtx 256 MB. Besides frame rate textures are not perfect. Did you have transparent snow textures in Nepal? I find Next Gen also very dark I'm still running 81.24 drivers as they are steady. I can see that some of your screens are very dark too.

Dhama, Next Gen is just a graphical improvement option (at least that is how it supposed to be). The card must support shader model 3.0 to enable it. You get bump mapped textures and more shadows from objects in the environment. This is sometimes very cool like the smashing walls in Bolivia. You see the shadows moving on the walls. You dont get any extra's in the game. When you can enable it there are no options what you want enabled. It is on or off. I think Next Gen is not that great. It looks unfinished and I hope there will be a major update to get it better on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Piega
    King DBM, do you have 256 or 512 MB on your card?

I have one asus 7800 gtx 256 MB. Besides frame rate textures are not perfect. Did you have transparent snow textures in Nepal? I find Next Gen also very dark I'm still running 81.24 drivers as they are steady. I can see that some of your screens are very dark too.
    512 MB, yes i have transparent textures, but only in a few spots, like the bike level. I have other weird things like, weird self shadows, and flickering black textures on some things.

My specs are:
    AMD 4000+ OC to a 2.9 Ghz
    2 GB OCZ Plat rev2
    7900 GTX (512)
    74GB raptor Drive

My frame rate is about 15 to 20 with drops to 1. When I dont move it becomes 30 and it stays that way until I play a few seconds. I have the patch installed (it also deletes the naked titty ) Maybe I'll get a second card in a few months but only to play Legend is a bit sorry for my money. I have dual core but the patch seem to use that. Here some texture bugs.

Screen 1. Blocky waterfall parts on the left.
    Screen 2. Fast flashing pillars (ofcourse not on the pic but you can see there is something wrong with them)
    Screen 3. Transparent snow textures and not only on that spot.

I'll bet there are many many more but I have not played Legend entirely with next gen because of poor frame rate. The frame rate is not what bothers me but the quality is!

What exactly dont you understand? What are you asking?

Next Gen in very simply terms is DX9 mode ! Is that hard for you understand?
    Obviously i'm asking something you can't answer.

@Piega. Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obviously i'm asking something you can't answer.

@Piega. Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
    He didnt say anything that hasnt already been said..Actually he didnt add anything..

First of all it increases polycounts on many objects in the game. Second it introduces normal mapping on everything - that doesn't sound like much, but realize you're essentially doubling the number of textures in the game. Everything that normally just has a plain old color texture now has that plus a depth map texture. Then of course you need to add in all the complex lighting algorithms that goes with normal mapping.

Of course most of this is done via the shaders thus why it requires a SM3.0 card to run in Next Gen mode..

Maybe you should try reading the links I posted.

Of course most of this is done via the shaders thus why it requires a SM3.0 card to run in Next Gen mode..
    hm the "gold versions" which was sent to game magazines for their reviews allowed next gen with shader 2.0....

hm the "gold versions" which was sent to game magazines for their reviews allowed next gen with shader 2.0....
    Both are capable of the same visuals, SM3.0 is just easier for developers..

Both are capable of the same visuals, SM3.0 is just easier for developers..
    right but programming next gen with SM2.0 and then disable it in the release version is

right but programming next gen with SM2.0 and then disable it in the release version is
    Well thats their choice, retail requires SM3.0.. that doesnt mean SM2.0 based cards arent capable of the same visuals.. But I agree, if they have a SM2.0 path already then they should let people use it even if it is unplayable.

He didnt say anything that hasnt already been said..Actually he didnt add anything..

First of all it increases polycounts on many objects in the game. Second it introduces normal mapping on everything - that doesn't sound like much, but realize you're essentially doubling the number of textures in the game. Everything that normally just has a plain old color texture now has that plus a depth map texture. Then of course you need to add in all the complex lighting algorithms that goes with normal mapping.

Maybe you should try reading the links I posted.
    It was the first I saw of anything.. I havn't the time to trawl all posts. But Thanks for adding some info.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well thats their choice, retail requires SM3.0.. that doesnt mean SM2.0 based cards arent capable of the same visuals.. But I agree, if they have a SM2.0 path already then they should let people use it even if it is unplayable.

If they did that, then you have threads on people complaining about the lag on next gen, running Sm2.0 cards. I guess they felt it was better left off since they weren't going to support it on nextgen.

Is the 'Next Gen' feature compatible with NVIDIA GeForce 8800? With drivers up to date.

I have Windows 7, 64bit (if it matters)

I had the feature enabled from the begining, and it was working ok ( it was 'stucking' from time to time, but it was playable), but then when I got to Kazahstan the gane froze and crashed to desktop.
    Now I'm playing the game with 'Next Gen' disabled.. but since I got the taste of it, I want it back! :P and working!

Is that possible? If so, how?

Thanks for your answers.

p.s. which DirectX should i choose from this list? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...D-85FC422D1388

I don't remember exactlly which one I chose, but I did install one of them.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12