Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Gay Final Fantasy Character?

Gay Final Fantasy Character?

In 2010, as one might recall, a rumor came forth that Noctis, the main protagonist in the upcoming game Final Fantasy Versus XIII, was gay. Those rumors however were soon quelled as they were unjustified and false. However, would such a character make a difference to the series? Mass Effect have successfully included gay romance options in their video game franchise, of course the move was controversial as some deemed it too risky and claimed that it would shed negative light on the franchise.

What is your take on this? Do you believe Final Fantasy should opt for a gay character? Would it be bad for the series to make it more ''gay-friendly''?
    There are no right or wrong answers and no trolling, these are only discussions [img]/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif[/img]

no. no no NO!!! we don't need to add fuel to the fire. i'll admit it hasn't done well lately. but it just does'nt feel right. i can see it working good for mass effect snice it was made spcifcly for a mature audience but FF?? that's just not right.. suppose that was to happen it would really change the franchise.but for a more mature adudience. and it would lose it's younger fans. and on top of that.there you go. you have another mass effect or dragon age. we already have enough mature rpg's to go around. let's not change FF as well.

Noctis being gay would be awesome. I'd love to see how Square would handle and craft a character that wasn't heterosexual. Screw the audience that would have a problem with it.

Also, I'm not sure how having a gay character changes the franchise. I mean, it's not like there's anything concretely different between people of different sexual orientations. Similarly, I don't think a gay character necessitates a mature audience.

... a bad egg..

As long as it's tastefully done, and not "let's stop in the middle of an apocalypse to make out" like in M.I.T.H. or trying to hit every demographic at once like the teenaged Spiderman that's part Latino and African American and alleged to be gay.

If it's a well written character and story, sexual orientation is the last thing on my mind. BUT it does better shape them, and easier to relate too. I like how King writes giant backstories for all of his characters -- including the minor ones with a few lines. Not sure why the serial killers always end up liking redheads though.

That's my thing too, really. If seems pandering and out of place, there's no need to do anything. I'm just interested to see if Square could effectively pull off a well-written and believable character that's gay.

Yeah, if they want to put a gay person in there, more power to them... just don't make it pandering or super over the top....

...besides... with all the yaoi/ yuri shipping running rampant in the fandom.... do we really think putting a gay relationship as canon will change anything??

I'm not anti-gay or anything, but please don't ever make a main character gay. If you want to make a side character gay, go for it. But I agree with the post that said it could harm the franchise. When people play FF (at least me), I want to experience playing the role of a super-badass main character with a great story plot. I don't want to play the role of a gay badass because so far I've yet to meet a badass gay person and it just doesn't seem real to me. Not anti-gay, I know I might get a lot of hate for this, but let's just keep things the way they are as far as final fantasy goes. There hasn't been a gay character and there really shouldn't be one. I get that this is a fantasy world and ANYTHING is possible but come on people.... really? Can you actually perceive that outcome to be a good one? Seriously?

If you're gay, I don't mean to offend you. And I'm sure there are badass gays out there. I'm just saying... I would like FF to go back to it's roots of making awesome games with a great gameplay experience and that just would not do it for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Imagine if Cloud was gay. Or Squall. Even Tidus... It just wouldn't benefit the story, even if you change it around. People want good ol' fashioned Romance, if they want romance at all.

Originally Posted by Gaialei_Strife

Yeah, if they want to put a gay person in there, more power to them... just don't make it pandering or super over the top....

...besides... with all the yaoi/ yuri shipping running rampant in the fandom.... do we really think putting a gay relationship as canon will change anything??

According to Toriko manga , The numbers of Fangay in japan is increased day by day so It may increase the sales

Originally Posted by Enoc

I'm not anti-gay or anything, but please don't ever make a main character gay. If you want to make a side character gay, go for it. But I agree with the post that said it could harm the franchise. When people play FF (at least me), I want to experience playing the role of a super-badass main character with a great story plot. I don't want to play the role of a gay badass because so far I've yet to meet a badass gay person and it just doesn't seem real to me. Not anti-gay, I know I might get a lot of hate for this, but let's just keep things the way they are as far as final fantasy goes. There hasn't been a gay character and there really shouldn't be one. I get that this is a fantasy world and ANYTHING is possible but come on people.... really? Can you actually perceive that outcome to be a good one? Seriously?

If you're gay, I don't mean to offend you. And I'm sure there are badass gays out there. I'm just saying... I would like FF to go back to it's roots of making awesome games with a great gameplay experience and that just would not do it for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Imagine if Cloud was gay. Or Squall. Even Tidus... It just wouldn't benefit the story, even if you change it around. People want good ol' fashioned Romance, if they want romance at all.

First, I'm not gay, but hey, if I was, there is nothing wrong to it. My gay friend brought the subject up and thought it was an interesting one to post. I don't agree with some of your thoughts however. Claiming that you don't want to play a gay badass character is in a sense homophobic but I am sure its bad wording on your end as you have clearly stated that you are not anti-gay. Furthermore, saying that there shouldn't be a gay character is harsh as well. Despite this, I agree that it would be a major departure for the franchise and that a gay side character at the moment, would be the best option for SE to remain 'neutral'.

... Is it the idea of having a gay character that bothers people or is it the possibility of having to role play out a character who is gay and having to pursue a romantic interest in-game that bothers people?

Because if you take out the romance, when and how and why would the main character's sexuality ever become a matter to bother with otherwise when they have much bigger fish to fry such as a world that needs saving?

There ARE gay people in Real Life and in positions of authority, power, what-have-you who ARE BADASS and who ARE heroes. Just because they don't scream it from a building at the top of their lungs that they are gay doesn't mean they don't exist and just because their sexuality is known doesn't mean that the things they have done are discounted in comparison to the things heterosexuals have done.

Being gay doesn't = a gigantic red stamp on the forehead which says, "I'M FLAMING GAY - EVERYTHING I DO AND EVERYTHING ABOUT ME SCREAMS OUT LOUD MY SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND MAKES ME RATED R!" Stereotyping and people playing out stereotypes encourages that line of thought, but that isn't the actual -TRUTH- when you look at the whole picture.

Just because a character is conceptualized to be gay in their orientation doesn't mean that EVERYTHING about them revolves/has to revolve around them being gay, you know, and a character being gay doesn't automatically = PG-13+ unless the game creators and the players themselves decide to make it into a PG-13+ issue.

Originally Posted by Aith

... Is it the idea of having a gay character that bothers people or is it the possibility of having to role play out a character who is gay and having to pursue a romantic interest in-game that bothers people?

Because if you take out the romance, when and how and why would the main character's sexuality ever become a matter to bother with otherwise when they have much bigger fish to fry such as a world that needs saving?

There ARE gay people in Real Life and in positions of authority, power, what-have-you who ARE BADASS and who ARE heroes. Just because they don't scream it from a building at the top of their lungs that they are gay doesn't mean they don't exist and just because their sexuality is known doesn't mean that the things they have done are discounted in comparison to the things heterosexuals have done.

Being gay doesn't = a gigantic red stamp on the forehead which says, "I'M FLAMING GAY - EVERYTHING I DO AND EVERYTHING ABOUT ME SCREAMS OUT LOUD MY SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND MAKES ME RATED R!" Stereotyping and people playing out stereotypes encourages that line of thought, but that isn't the actual -TRUTH- when you look at the whole picture.

Just because a character is conceptualized to be gay in their orientation doesn't mean that EVERYTHING about them revolves/has to revolve around them being gay, you know, and a character being gay doesn't automatically = PG-13+ unless the game creators and the players themselves decide to make it into a PG-13+ issue.

Absolutely agree.

I'm neither gay nor am i anti-gay, but from an rpg point of veiw a homosexual character at any level would be an interesting twist to take.

But if final fantasy did create a gay character they wouldn't be the first one by a long shot. After all microsoft's series Fable has given that option since the very first game and it was made back when being gay was compleatly unacceptable. One of the antagonists in fable 2 & 3 , reaver, is openly gay on camera after all.

Probably going to get some hate for this post but fair warrning, I don't read hate mail even when I do get it.

Noctis being gay would be interesting since he shows all types of badassery in the trailers.

don't yall remember Venn from FF12 he was closet gay.

I believe it would be too much for SE to attempt at a time like this, they don't need to push boundaries to include a fanbase of a different sexual orientation. Characters in the series are adrygenous in their design nearly and thus why it has a large hetero/bi/gay fans as it is. And to tell a good story, they would have to include something as new as a homosexual main character, it wouldn't make sense to just say "he is gay" and say nothing else for it. Wars or certain destruction have not stopped FF characters from making out before ^_^ Persona 4 touched on it already with one of its characters, but he was no more 'homosexual' than he was 'iffiminate'. He seemed more like he was a crossdresser than gay and presented in that light.

As for Mass Effect and its sexuality...trashy when it came to promiscuity (IMO) and only good homosexual relationship was with the one character in 3 who lost his lover. That was realistic, but Shepard just came of as a whore with being able to sleep with multiple people! XD But I digress...With Japanese culture, though it is prominent with yaoi fanbases, you also have to consider the negative side it has shown on it with popular gay relationships with older men and underage boys. Not that FF creators would do that, but I don't think they want the franchise that steeped in pop culture. SE Europe subtetly added an incest relationship in Drakenguard and that turned a lot of people I know of when they discovered it.

I guess I'm trying to say it would work for their more mature titles, just not Final Fantasy. It has always been light on blood and other material, and loved despite sexual orientation of characters. It would add a new take on things to explore, but it would be hinted at or not stated. The Japanse has androgyny and gay community, but it is still taboo as a whole, so I don't think they will be going that route too soon or with FF.

GILGAMESH is probably bi. Cuz you know Enkidu.

I knew I would get people jumping down my throat for my comment on this. I'm not homophobic, I have gay friends. And to the guy who asked if the problem was role playing a gay man with a love interest of another male. I'd have to say that's probably what turns me off from having them make a gay main character. That's actually probably the MAIN reason why I wouldn't even buy it. I'm not gay, I don't like guys, and I wouldn't want to play a dude who falls in love with another man and pursues that in-game. I agree, there are badass gays out there, I just haven't actually met one. Is all that I was stating. I'm not thinking the main character is going to be flaming or any of that stuff. It's just that when I play a Final Fantasy game, I try to put myself in their shoes, and it just wouldn't work with me. It's not going to ruin the story for me or anything, I just wouldn't personally like that.

Everyone has their right to an opinion, and this is mine. If they decide to actually make a character gay, they should just make Noctis gay. He may be able to pull it off.

And as for the Venn FFXII closet-gay comment, that made me lol.

Gay or not, as long as the character is done well, then I'm good. I think that if the company does choose to have gay characters, or the main romance being a gay one, there shouldn't emphasis on the fact that it's, you know, gay. Just treat it with the same normalcy as a hetero pairing, and just focus on the same progression as any other pairing in the past games.

I mean, these FF universes are so different from ours-why should there be such a big deal in the game's context that the love interest of the main character is the same gender? That there's a same-sex pairings in the game at all?

Though I agree with others. More than likely, characters or even possible pairings will just be left ambiguous. I mean, I heard people saying Lightning is gay because she has no love interest. Really?

If that's all it takes to decide sexuality in a game, then they should remove the phrase "I love you" and any scenes of kissing in games, because all we need is ambiguous dialog and a couple of scenes of too much touching that will be enough for anyone to interpret things, lol.

(and then start huge flame wars about love triangles/pentagons that I admit I laugh over, fufufu...)

No no no no no no gay guys or gay girls that would ruin everything and plus if you want that your either bi or gay or pevert

I have a question, why is this even an issue or a question?

This is Final Fantasy we are talking about. How many times do characters talk about their sexual orientation or show it. The only time they do is when it best services the story ex: Final Fantasy VII, VIII and X.

I hope Noctis isn't gay because then the whole Stella as an important character thing would be pointless. I wa under the impression that they would develop a relationship.

I'm not pro or anti gay but I do not see why this is an issue. If it doesn't serve the overall story than why include it?

Final Fantasy was never made to make political statements or be politically correct.

Just saying this right now square enix has done gay work before from what I know never seen it though or read but still if you want gay read those Final Fantasy should stay in the stright or bi zone

We already got one, sephiroth his obssession with cloud gets him killed.

Originally Posted by Zack the jerk.

…………Exactly what I wanted to say......I mean ……forget it………

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last