Thread: Gay Final Fantasy Character?

Gay Final Fantasy Character?

Originally Posted by Kuja9001

We already got one, sephiroth his obssession with cloud gets him killed.

Just as an aside to this...

I always assumed it was Cloud who was semi-obsessive with Sephiroth for the most part. He's always the one talking about Sephriroth. To me, it seemed like Sephiroth thought Cloud was no one to him, just some foot soldier that couldn't make the cut but happened to be the guy to toss him into Mako after his mental breakdown. It's only in the movie do we see some actual dialog between them, but even that doesn't really indicate Sephritoh's obsession for Cloud. He taunts him, sure, but I think it could have been any other character and he would've treated them the same. I could imagine if Sephiroth and Vincent faced off, there'd be MAJOR emotional tension there xD

Sephiroth getting obsessed over Zack it more likely due to his relationship with Angeal, but even then, Sephiroth obsessing over anyone but his not-mommy is a tad OOC, lol

If I was to pick at ambiguous male-male relationships, I look at FFVIII's Squall and Seifer. Regardless of the fact Rinoa and Squall hook up, it's kind of implied Seifer's the only one that sort of "got" Squall in the beginning, plus Seifer confides in Squall quite a bit. Then there's the matching scars, both young men using the same weapon, and the implication they trained together when Squall starts off as a loner, and Seifer's kind of a ...In another universe, it could add up xD

You know, now that I think about it, it's really easy to twist male relationships to make it seem more than what it is. The only female/female pairing I can think of is Fang/Vanille, but I can understand it being more along the lines of sisterhood (and not because they have the same last name; I assume the whole tribe shared the same name without blood relations)

Once again, it all comes down to fan interpretation.

...Oh whoa, really went off topic, lol. My bad.

Originally Posted by Crimson King
    No no no no no no gay guys or gay girls that would ruin everything and plus if you want that your either bi or gay or pevert

Care to extrapolate on how that woud ruin everything? Digging your label-dropping in the latter half of your post, by the way. That's effective argumentation.

Because kids play final fantasy and ever since the begin of final fantasy characters aways had a boy and girl thing going on. And no taking this hard but I hate gay couples and so do alot of other people square enix would lose alot of fans ( mostly from moms and dads not allowing there kids to see that ). And if they did do that they would feed off lesbain/yuri ones because there are really guys who just bought mass effect for that and there are alot of guy peverts who will buy that. I mean they did that with dragon age and again what I said played in effect to that.

Just to end it plain and simple people who hate gays like me will never buy it and will just leave square enix if they start doing gay in final fantasy.

Nice.

Nice for what ? And thank you

Originally Posted by Lumina
    Originally Posted by Zack the jerk.

…………Exactly what I wanted to say......I mean ……forget it………
    ^^

In spite of all of the arguments against gay characters in which many are talking about things like how gay characters don't belong in games that are directed towards a 'younger' audience rather than a more mature one...

People are cool with magic (ALL of the FF stories) and storylines involving things like: mind control and related manipulation (FFVII, FFVIII), someone torching a village and about to destroy an entire Planet (FFVII), being enslaved to magic and magical beings and fighting for redemption or risk facing a sentence worse than death (FFXIII), 'children' killing or having to kill their own 'parents' and/or parental figures/guardians (FFVII - Crisis Core, FFVIII), crazy scientists who perform abominably unethical experiments on live people and on unborn fetuses (FFVII), having to infiltrate a whore house (FFVII)... etc.

Quite frankly speaking, NONE of -THOSE- plotline and storyline situations save for 'magic' (in a broad sense) sound like they are situations geared towards a younger audience... and yet each and every one mentioned (and ones unmentioned) has appeared very prominently in the FF games and I don't hear anyone complaining about it. In fact, what is heard most is how great a lot of these FF storylines are that involve those plotpoints.

So, please.

If you're going to argue about the whole 'it isn't for the kids' bit, realize that there are plenty of plot points in all of the FF stories that would not traditionally be geared towards younger crowds (Disney wanted to down-rate KH's rating as it was and remove actual gun/firearms references and drinking references, etc if anyone recalls) as it is.

Unless of course, you want to say and are trying to say that having a character who is gay and whose 'gayness' is NOT going to be the highlight of the game is WORSE or is going to be worse than any of those plot points mentioned above.

Some of the comments on here are disappointing and people need to smarten up, but there are some good ones on here. I'm going to keep it simple and leave the rant of wall out. Who cares? Gay doesn't equal a age audience, gay shouldn't equal politics, and this goes for any other taboo in our game industry (blacks, females, etc...). There is no need to exclude and limit things in a art form and entertainment medium. Unless to obtain more money, present a challenge, gain more fame, increase the effectiveness of project, send out a message, pressure from others, lack resources, or/and be flat out ignorant. Obvsioulsy, some reasons can end up being more negative than positive.

Choose wisely Square Enix

I agree.

I think SE will not put in gay characters because it might produce negative feedback from the overall audience.

Honestly, all the characters they have created have androgynous appearances as it is (in my opinion) so I don't see how it would matter. Personality wise, SE is really good at differentiating between the men and the women so I'm kinda surprised this is an issue all of a sudden. Then again, Belzeber from Star Ocean: Till the End of Time did have me wondering....

Since the game is "rumored" to have real-time events that in which the player can choose his decision, I'd figure that Noctis could be....bisexual? Just an opinion. Square Enix could go the ways of Mass Effect and Dragon Age and do that. That way, it won't have to appeal to just the gaymers (gay gamers).

Originally Posted by CorvoAtano
    Since the game is "rumored" to have real-time events that in which the player can choose his decision, I'd figure that Noctis could be....bisexual? Just an opinion. Square Enix could go the ways of Mass Effect and Dragon Age and do that. That way, it won't have to appeal to just the gaymers (gay gamers).
    "Gaymers". I like that.

Originally Posted by Castiel

Honestly, all the characters they have created have androgynous appearances as it is (in my opinion) so I don't see how it would matter.

Eh, I don't think appearances should matter much when it comes to a character's sexuality.

I mean, the closest character I can think of that it might relate to is Kaine from NieR who was a hermaphrodite, and part of her back story was that her village was superstitious of "abnormalities" and the prejudice passed onto the children who cruelly bullied her for her androgynous appearance. But as far as I know, she was still attracted to men and identified as a woman.

However, I won't deny both Amano and Nomura (heck, even Yoshida at times) tend to draw really pretty male characters, lol.

Originally Posted by Enoc

I knew I would get people jumping down my throat for my comment on this. I'm not homophobic, I have gay friends. And to the guy who asked if the problem was role playing a gay man with a love interest of another male. I'd have to say that's probably what turns me off from having them make a gay main character. That's actually probably the MAIN reason why I wouldn't even buy it. I'm not gay, I don't like guys, and I wouldn't want to play a dude who falls in love with another man and pursues that in-game. I agree, there are badass gays out there, I just haven't actually met one. Is all that I was stating. I'm not thinking the main character is going to be flaming or any of that stuff. It's just that when I play a Final Fantasy game, I try to put myself in their shoes, and it just wouldn't work with me. It's not going to ruin the story for me or anything, I just wouldn't personally like that.

Everyone has their right to an opinion, and this is mine. If they decide to actually make a character gay, they should just make Noctis gay. He may be able to pull it off.

And as for the Venn FFXII closet-gay comment, that made me lol.

I know what you mean. Let's be honest here people, the main character mostly has a guys want to be him and girls want to be with him vibe. Having the main character being gay is just not cool. Screw the PC Police, come on, come lock me up for hate speech. I'm just saying what is on most people's minds.

Originally Posted by CorvoAtano

LOL, I highly doubt Nomura will give you the option of kissing Stella or Ignis.

I'm not really going to offer much opinion on this subject. Personally, I don't think that Square would risk something like that at this time. If this thread shows anything, it's that the opinions are divided on the subject and I imagine that's how many of the other fans will be as well.

Gay is still an issue? How sad! Have a gay side character - they can't have the spotlight (sarcasism btw!). Other characters werent/couldnt be gay cause they were not written that way. Now...how many "gays" in real life are your idols who refuse to come out? Read a gay magazone sometime and you will be shocked at how many are not "Adam Lambert - so what" gay people. Final Fantasy has destroyed dictators, religions, and races in thier stories. This is a GAME!! remember that next time your own "feeliings" are being influenced by a STORY.

I have to say that I grew up with Final Fantasy, I am gay and I always was curious to why all of the characters in the stories were always straight, I did feel like some of the characters were like Kuja (FFIX) was. I really don't see how a gay main character would/could ruin Square at all, I mean that straight people playing a straight guy but don't want to play as a gay guy cause they don't want to fall in love with another man or cause gay heroes can't be awesome and save the world, well why not? I mean I play as 'straight' main characters before and I just look past that sort of thing cause I really love the gameplay and ignore the straight aspect of it, I was upset in FFVII when Aeris died, cause I knew Cloud had feelings for her, I was upset for Squall in FFVIII during the space scene where you're trying to get Rinoa as your oxygen was depleting and thinking that she could die. I'm just saying, gay audiences have played Final Fantasy dealing with straight heroes, but some of you straight people think it's perverted and go into rage and quit if they decided to make the hero gay. Just keep an open mind.

What's the deal anyway?I thought that there were GAY characters in FINAL FANTASY.Look at KUJA,SEYMOUR(guess that's his name from FFX) some of these guys seem pretty gay to me,and could kick major BOOTY.Reason why a STRAIGHT guy would'nt want to play as a GAY character is because it goes against all that he is.Like some guys don't like much to play as women characters due to the lack of strength they possess.As an LIGHT SKINNED african-american male I would love to see a black guy in a game that's not so dark.All black people are not all dark complected,but hey at least we're represented.What i'm saying is GAY or STRAIGHT,these are only video games don't throw politics in it.Be happy they have fem-type guys in them like KUJA and some others,oh and VAN from FFX he's a main character and he looks FEMININE to me.Whattaya know I like a gay looking character,but he'll never replace my beautiful wife.

Originally Posted by ant-1

What's the deal anyway?I thought that there were GAY characters in FINAL FANTASY.Look at KUJA,SEYMOUR(guess that's his name from FFX) some of these guys seem pretty gay to me,and could kick major BOOTY.Reason why a STRAIGHT guy would'nt want to play as a GAY character is because it goes against all that he is.Like some guys don't like much to play as women characters due to the lack of strength they possess.As an LIGHT SKINNED african-american male I would love to see a black guy in a game that's not so dark.All black people are not all dark complected,but hey at least we're represented.What i'm saying is GAY or STRAIGHT,these are only video games don't throw politics in it.Be happy they have fem-type guys in them like KUJA and some others,oh and VAN from FFX he's a main character and he looks FEMININE to me.Whattaya know I like a gay looking character,but he'll never replace my beautiful wife.

This. I dont understand why people are trying to push these things into entertainment. If it serves the story then whatever but if it doesnt than dont. I dont understand why that is so hard for people to understand.

Doesn't anyone here remember they already had Mukki from FFVII?

I don't believe any of the characters you listed are gay. I don't believe they should ever make a gay character just for the sake of it either.

Originally Posted by RoyalJam

I don't believe any of the characters you listed are gay. I don't believe they should ever make a gay character just for the sake of it either.
    Never said they should make one just to satisfy a group of people,but even you have to admit,some of these characters do look like they're prettier than the prettiest female.And let me re-phrase what I was trying to convey.They're not gay,but their actions don't scream MANLY BEHAVIOR either.

Hell NO! I would never play, recommend, consider, or enjoy playing a game where the main character was gay! It's bad enough with the gym in 7 and the dollet bar in 8 with that guy, but an actual main character who was gay in FF would be outrageous!

Not to hate on homosexual people, but I wouldn't think that making the main character of a game gay would help a company a lot. Most people would think that it would be targeted towards homosexuals, or being an idea to support homosexuality.

Most people, though, might not object to a gay or lesbian supporting character. That's what makes things interesting.

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last