Thread: Best Starter for Dragon Quest?

Best Starter for Dragon Quest?

Considering how relatively modern this game is and how prevalent the PS2 is, do you think Dragon Quest VIII is sort of the pinnacle of the series in terms of bringing in new fans and being the best representation of what people can enjoy out of the series? I personally think this game got many things right and because of it, people were far more willing to buy into Dragon Quest IX and make it the best selling title of the series.

I'm not a big fan of the Dragon Quest series but when I saw that the game was illustrated by the guy who has drawn Dragon Ball it peaked my interest and I bought it. After playing it I really liked it, it is different but also difficult too but had alot of fun things to check out. DQVIII is my first but not sure if it would be my last or not.

Just so you know, Akira Toriyama has been doing the character design for the game since its inception. =]

This was my first introduction to the DQ series and I really liked how you could literally lose yourself in the game. Between the soothing soundtrack and the day/night transition it made for many happy hours of exploring.

Well, that and it had Yangus and Angelo. Oh, and Morrie: my first encounter with him was around 3 am during a late gaming session. Imagine the horror. ^_^'

Well last time I saw DQ it was on the Game Boy Color and I didn't like the gameplay lol.

Hah, you're comparing classic Dragon Quest to a modern interpretation! I highly recommend checking it out as it is probably one of the last great RPGs before we went into the lull we're experiencing today. If anything, do it for Munchie.

While VIII is fantastic, I believe that IX is the best entry point for the series

DQIX is definitley a great entry point, but if DQVIII got the gameplay right I see no reason of not being one as well.

Originally Posted by frostare

DQIX is definitley a great entry point, but if DQVIII got the gameplay right I see no reason of not being one as well.

True. 8 is so good, I can't wait to start the LP of that XD

VIII or IX definitely, not everyone can have played them since the originals on NES unfortunately and know the greatness of the series.

Originally Posted by Tiael
    VIII or IX definitely, not everyone can have played them since the originals on NES unfortunately and know the greatness of the series.

I know, it would have been awesome if we got the DQ Collection for wii. I would love to play the snes versions!

I know, I wish we had gotten it too.

Maybe if we get enough people interested they can translate it and put it on the wii u's eshop when it comes out

Let's spread our interest, starting with these forums!

Darn right, we want the Wii Collection And DQX and Rocket Slime 3, and Terry's Wonderland! Ect.

Originally Posted by Zachary
    Considering how relatively modern this game is and how prevalent the PS2 is, do you think Dragon Quest VIII is sort of the pinnacle of the series in terms of bringing in new fans and being the best representation of what people can enjoy out of the series? I personally think this game got many things right and because of it, people were far more willing to buy into Dragon Quest IX and make it the best selling title of the series.
    Even though Dragon Quest VIII is an amazing game, it's not the easiest Dragon Quest game for starters. I started playing Dragon Quest at Dragon Quest IX and it was a great game to pick up the basics of Dragon Quest. I suggest you try DQIX first and if you like it and have the feeling you're an advanced player, you should start playing DQVIII.

This is just my advice, you play what you like to play and only take my reply in cosideration, it's just an option. If you think my advice was great, then I can only say I'm glad I could help you.

You guys all talk about VIII, which is cool, but what about IV, V, and VI remakes for the DS? Those are pretty cool, and in my opinion, a good way to start. I did start with IX, though. I saw it in Nintendo Power mag and I just thought, "this looks so cool". And it was! IX was my launch point into the rest of the DQ series.