Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 42.86%
  • No

4 57.14%

Thread: Next-Gen Only TR?

Next-Gen Only TR?

So if we believe all the rumors the PS5 and next Xbox are only a year away or so and they sound like they're be quite a leap in terms of power over the the PS4 and Xbox One. Now do you think/want the next Tomb Raider to be only on next-gen to take full advantage of more powerful and capable hardware?

Nope. I want to be able to play and I can't if it's next gen only. Simple as that.

I voted no too.
    I can't envision that the next gen consoles are going to be so much more "powerful" than the current ones. It's not like we've had a major technology breakthrough in the past 5 years that would make a difference. Therefore, there would be reason no limit the game to a single gen console.
    signature image

If you look at what CD said in the end credits, it will likely be some time before the next TR. That would indicate they'll no doubt at least have versions that will play on the next consoles. Hell, by the time the next one is made there might even be a Stadia version.

Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    I voted no too.
    I can't envision that the next gen consoles are going to be so much more "powerful" than the current ones. It's not like we've had a major technology breakthrough in the past 5 years that would make a difference. Therefore, there would be reason no limit the game to a single gen console.
    The CPU alone in the new consoles will make a huge difference in terms of physics as well as 60fps gameplay, plus I'm sure both the PS5 and next Xbox will both be doing 4k. Bigger games also require more RAM, of course we have no idea when a new Tomb Raider will be released but I can't see Square Enix sitting on the IP for very long as it does make money for them and what else do they really have?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    ...I can't see Square Enix sitting on the IP for very long as it does make money for them and what else do they really have?
    "Can't", or can? Doesn't make sense the way you said it.

At any rate, putting TR on the back burner for a while will give them much needed time to overhaul or replace the game engine.

It's also not like SE doesn't have other big franchises. They have Final Fantasy, Just Cause, Hitman, Kingdom Hearts, and their Crystal Dynamics and Eidos teams are working on The Avengers Project.

Quote Originally Posted by Frag_Maniac View Post
    "Can't", or can? Doesn't make sense the way you said it.

At any rate, putting TR on the back burner for a while will give them much needed time to overhaul or replace the game engine.

It's also not like SE doesn't have other big franchises. They have Final Fantasy, Just Cause, Hitman, Kingdom Hearts, and their Crystal Dynamics and Eidos teams are working on The Avengers Project.
    Can't as in I don't think TR will be absent for very long. Also Final Fantasy takes a long time between games, Kingdom Hearts just released, Just Cause just came out last December and I believe Hitman is now a WB property.

I mean, I'm half and half. It's like when they tried to make ROTTR both next gen and 360/PS3. It didn't really work and a lot of the interesting features got removed. HOWEVER: If there's not that big of a difference and the consoles are similar then I don't see the point secluding a large portion of the fan base who can't afford to upgrade just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    Can't as in I don't think TR will be absent for very long. Also Final Fantasy takes a long time between games, Kingdom Hearts just released, Just Cause just came out last December and I believe Hitman is now a WB property.
    Again, The Avengers isn't even out yet, which is what CD has been working on. That's a pretty huge project on their plate right now, and a proper TR release, especially with a needed new engine, would take at least a few years after they're done with Avengers.

I'm of the patience pays off camp. I've seen far too many games ruined by being rushed to market just for $$$$.

Back on topic. I guess my vote for next gen only made it a 3/3 tie. Face it guys, the days of developing for the 360 and PS3 is pretty much relegated to indie titles now. They still serve their purpose for that, but any advanced AAA titles are only going to be held down by trying to keep them backwards compatible that many gens back.

I say no. The delta between PS4 and 5 will be raw power, not an entire programming API, so they can whittle away some of the processing perks and visuals more easily and get roughly the same game.

It's about timing though. Will we see one next year or the year after? Sure. But if we're waiting 5 or so years for the next one, supporting older hardware may not make sense.
    signature image