Page 3 of 11 First First 1234567 ... Last

Thread: So, what are your thoughts on FFXIII-2?

So, what are your thoughts on FFXIII-2?

what boss is that

Originally Posted by Sixus

has anyone beat the boss on XII?

I beat every boss on 12

Originally Posted by Zench
    You got something wrong, the Cie'th, not the fal'Cie, are the monsters. The were l'Cie who couldn't fulfill their focus.
    I knew something was wrong, just have not played it in a long time

The gameplay in 13 was a brilliant idea, but didnt require enougn shifts to make me do anything other than mash X most of the time... 13-2 seems to have remedied this, for as little as I have played.

The story of 13 was confusing. The character's did things that, in their shoes, I would not have done. There was no human villain to antagonize them, and not just the final boss; there really wasn't any "foil" to Lightning at all. I thought Cid was the most interesting enemy, but he kinda didn't last long..

That said, they aren't terrible games. Shoot me FF13 fans, for being a notsalgic fan or whatever, but I don't think FF13 is as good as the past games. I would argue that this has nothing to do with nostalgia, because I think some Square games recently are just as good as the older ones (Dissidia and Crisis Core, for example) but I don't think FF13 is as good as them. I won't be bought with shiny graphics or the fact that it is new. And I think they can do better. But, its not a terrible game, and indeed its one of the better samples of JRPG's this generation.

FF 13 had a bad script and the lamebox gutting the game did no favors for its story nor direction.

i think ffxiii was actually a good game. not as good as the first ten but still it wasn't as bad as everyone says it is. I liked the gameplay and the story which could've been better.

The FF13 games may not be horribly bad, but there's just WAY too much focus on them. (Same with FF7.) Some fans just want Square to release a whole new Final Fantasy already instead of working on yet another sequel.

Originally Posted by ZERORAPTOR

The FF13 games may not be horribly bad, but there's just WAY too much focus on them. (Same with FF7.) Some fans just want Square to release a whole new Final Fantasy already instead of working on yet another sequel.

this is something I can respect.

^^^ I agree.

Love reading these comments, I just recently bought both XIII and XIII-2 Collectord Edition (Don't ask me why, i'm just that 'type' of person) I definetely did hear a lot about the storyline being very linear compared to previous FF titles. But ofcourse the critisizing of that came from the westernized community diving into the new title (I'm sure there were Eastern FF players who may have shared the same opinion but it came mostly from the west).

I definetely look forward to getting in on the games soon!

I love the game (It's my fav) but wish it had been a one and done kinda deal. XIII-2 kinda ruined what I loved aboot the first with it's story. Same with VII just let them be.

Since the release of Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 and the horrid reviews the games got, I just hope Square Enix learned from the mistakes they made and go back to what Final Fantasy was all about. I believe the game could have been better, but in a way they made it into a hack/slash I have played all of the Final Fantasy's and the really messed up when the came out with XIII/XIII-2.

Well Yoshinori Kitase did state in an interview that Final Fantasy XIII was not exactly an typical RPG title, it was more so like a FPS, with a linear gaming system. I've yet to come across any dissapointment with these titles....I could have not asked for anything better with the battle system, and I am glad they cleaned up a little so that way there isn't so much going on.

The players have asked for something new from Final Fantasy Game Developers, and that's what they gave us with these titles. I don't disagree with you in any way, because I can understand how hard it is for someone who has played multiple Final Fantasy titles that this would either be a hit or a miss. But you should at least give the game developers credit for trying something new?

It's funny though that most of the people who are arguing about this are from the western players (Canada, America, Brazil, etc). Almost everyone in Asia seems to like it [img]/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif[/img]?

Wrong place to create the thread, there's an area to discuss XIII/XIII-2 and there are already threads about this.
    One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

Even in North America, XIII and XIII-2 did critically well. It's the fans who don't like the direction Final Fantasy is heading in that are overblowing the criticisms.

^^ I wouldn't go that far. XIII was by no means a masterpiece. Grated they get credit for trying something new. However when a majority of the fan base don't care for it you dont go and make two sequels. You move on. That's the disconnect between the devs and the fans.

It's funny though that most of the people who are arguing about this are from the western players (Canada, America, Brazil, etc). Almost everyone in Asia seems to like it ?

Sorry I did not put this thread in the right area You gotta remember when they release games for different contries they do change alot of stuff on them before the rerelease them again, and I believed they did way way to much change to the franchise all I can say is they needed to take baby steps when making a change

The games have gotten pretty good reviews for the most part to my knowledge. Fan criticism is another thing.

Originally Posted by Chas_XV

The games have gotten pretty good reviews for the most part to my knowledge. Fan criticism is another thing.

Agreed. Just look at games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Mass Effect 3. Critics like these games very much, along with XIII. A lot of fans don'

here is a peice of the review from Game Informer in Final Fantasy XIII

It may be an excellent RPG, but Final Fantasy XIII’s right to bear the Final Fantasy name could be called into question. Many of the series’ conventions are either highly modified or simply thrown out the window; there are no sidequests to undertake until about 30 hours into the adventure, no towns to explore (all of your shopping is done from save points), and no revisiting old areas via airship. It’s game over if your party leader is knocked out (regardless of how much health your other allies have), and the summons’ ability to turn into drivable racecars and motorcycles is bizarre. None of these things are necessarily bad, but they are certainly drastic deviations from Final Fantasy’s established traditions.

And I wouldn't necessarily put Call of Duty or Mass Effect in the same catagory as Final Fantasy, the franchise was doing awesome, when they came out with VII,VIII,IX,X they added new stuff little at a time which was awesome. They went a little too far with XIII.

Each game in the Final Fantasy franchise had always kept something from older games in addition to adding something new to the series. In addition, by creating a Final Fantasy title, SquareEnix also had to deal with established expectations from an already existing fanbase.

The main issue is that FF13 was essentially a Final Fantasy title in name only; they ripped out everything that made the Final Fantasy games what they are. If they had gone with creating an entirely different franchise, there wouldn't be so much backlash from established fans. There wouldn't be certain expectations to deal with and they'd still get a hit if the game does well. Now they're scrambling to turn what wasn't a Final Fantasy in content into a Final Fantasy; a mess of a compilation. Would it have been so hard to just give the FF franchise a break and do something completely new? Were they so disappointed in World Ends With You sales that they've fallen to relying on the Final Fantasy name to sell anything?

Each game in the Final Fantasy franchise had always kept something from older games in addition to adding something new to the series. In addition, by creating a Final Fantasy title, SquareEnix also had to deal with established expectations from an already existing fanbase.

The main issue is that FF13 was essentially a Final Fantasy title in name only; they ripped out everything that made the Final Fantasy games what they are. If they had gone with creating an entirely different franchise, there wouldn't be so much backlash from established fans. There wouldn't be certain expectations to deal with and they'd still get a hit if the game does well. Now they're scrambling to turn what wasn't a Final Fantasy in content into a Final Fantasy; a mess of a compilation. Would it have been so hard to just give the FF franchise a break and do something completely new? Were they so disappointed in World Ends With You sales that they've fallen to relying on the Final Fantasy name to sell anything?

I disagree with this statement. There's a mass of common elements between Final Fantasy XIII and its predecessors.

The battle system is largely ATB like previous games, and you have items, magic, and eidolons. I like to think of it similar to Cyan's Bushido/SwordTech in how the bar fills. The more it fills in FFXIII, the more you can do in one turn. Despite the thousands of "Press X to win" comments I've seen across the internet, this in no way accurately represents the battle system at large. Surely there are battles in which you press one button a few times and are victorious, but I've done the same thing in all other Final Fantasy games. There is definitely strategy involved, and the Paradigm Shift system adds a whole new level.

As far as plot, you have a world called Cocoon that is governed by the Sanctum. The Sanctum and its Primarch, Galenth Dysley, are deemed evil, and the resistance group NORA comes to act out against the Sanctum once the Purge of many people on Cocoon begins. Eventually, the main cast is branded by the fal'Cie, and the plot begins to grow from there. The premise is quite similar to that of FFVII, don't you think?

There is no main character, per se, much like FFVI. All of the characters have an equal share of the spotlight. You can deny it, but many of them are dynamic. For instance, Lightning is at first enraged and distrustful and comes off as rather arrogant. When the characters are split up and she is traveling with Hope, someone she more or less loathed, she slowly begins to form a bond with him, showing him the ways of battle and survival. At this time, Hope also becomes more understanding and later on forgives Snow. In this process, Lightning herself finds the errors in her ways with Serah and Snow and over time begins to trust her l'Cie companions. This is just an idea of some of the dynamics that are actually in the game, despite what many people believe.

So much of the game isn't exactly non-linear. That doesn't mean it's not a Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy X is very linear itself. Sure, you can revisit places later in the game with the airship, but the lack of this relatively irrelevant feature is not cause to say that FFXIII merely had the name Final Fantasy tacked on.

Okay, I normally don't even humor posts like these, but I am REALLY getting sick and tired of this "Square needs to get back to what Final Fantasy is all about" nonsense. Do you even KNOW what Final Fantasy is "all about?" I know. I know what Final Fantasy, from the very beginning, has always been about: change. Innovation. Trying new things. Breaking the rules. Being different. Final Fantasy has never been about following the typical JRPG tropes, even if they often did, even if they have been known to stick with what they know works (and they still manage to incorporate old tricks in new ways), and even if they actually created many of those tropes - in fact, that only really serves to prove my point, because they most certainly did: many elements that are now practically standard in JRPGs only exist today because of Square's innovations in the genre.

In that sense, even though it may not be a particularly great Final Fantasy title, or even a great game for that matter, because I'm definitely not the first to admit that it has a lot of flaws, FFXIII is actually one of the most "true-to-its-roots" titles in the entire franchise. And, according to the inane backlash that it has received from a certain camp of "fans," that's apparently not what fans actually want. So what do you want? Well, they did totally just release FF7 on Steam, so why don't you go play that instead?

You can criticise FFXIII for being a bad game all you want, but don't sit there and complain that it's "not a Final Fantasy" or that it strays too far from its roots, because that could not possibly be any further from the truth.

Now with all that being said, SqEx does need to focus on recapturing the magic that games like FF6 and FF9 had, though. It certainly wouldn't hurt them to look backwards for some inspiration - after all, that kind of backwards-thinking is what spawned FF9 in the first place.

I have played every final fantasy game from the beginning aswell, including Legends and Adventure for the gameboy. I am going to put this out there that everyone is entited to they're own opinion.

It's useless to get into the debate over the definition of an RPG, but even Square Enix once told 1up that Final Fantasy XIII wasn't designed using the RPG template. Final Fantasy XIII is the only Final Fantasy title that seems to be pushing away a huge segment of the hardcore audience that would have at one time supported it vehemently. Even games like Mass Effect 2, which has been criticized for losing some traditional RPG elements, feel more like RPGs lately than Final Fantasy XIII due to the choices players can make with regards to their own characters. Years ago, I doubt anyone would have predicted that Final Fantasy XIII would fall off of the RPG ladder to any extent, let alone become something that doesn't even feel like one to some players.

One of the reasons this isn’t an RPG is that role-playing games have some degree of variety. Previous games in the series, for all their differences, have been set in large, open-ended worlds that players can explore leisurely. You could find new towns and locations on the map, talk to people, buy new equipment and spend time hanging around the town fighting low-level monsters to raise your stats before tackling the next big dungeon.

The fact that Final Fantasy designers are so willing to experiment is a good thing, because it&rsquo;ll keep the genre from dying off. Bu<cite></cite>t Final Fantasy XIII should be considered a failed experiment. We can only hope it&rsquo;s a stumble on the path to a brighter RPG future.

It's failed from your point of view, you've played most of the Final Fantasy titles you declared you have played but that's coming from a very experienced point of view, i've played many Final Fantasy titles myself but I was not dissapointed to say the least about this title. Maybe I'm just the type of person that enjoys a straightforward game (with the exeption of Skryim). But I was so entertained with this title from the beginning, everyone can critisize the battle system not being true to previous FF but it is.

It's not like everyone bought this title knowing what to expect, the sales obviously did well because Square-Enix can advertise their games very well. I'd say if someone was playing this as their first or second final fantasy game they would hands-down fall in love with it.

Page 3 of 11 First First 1234567 ... Last