Thread: Discussing in-game mechanics/issues

Discussing in-game mechanics/issues

Question Discussing in-game mechanics/issues

Well, there are a few in-game mechanics/issues that kinda bother me and i'd like to discuss about them and feel how the rest of the community feels about them:

1. Humans out-running vampires
    Ok...so theoretically this has been "fixed" by only having the Scout capable of doing this (with his perk)...although this is happening with other classes as well (see #2 below).
    But the point is...should this be allowed, considering vampire main offense is melee?
    Suggestion:
    Remove any form of sprint buff (besides perk) and make vampire faster (i don't like being dependent on melee + dodge to catch up to the fleeing humans).

2. Melee + dodge
    If you watch any high lvl game, you'll see it's kinda dependent on this. Honestly though, this feels like an exploit.
    The devs took away the sprint perk from all classes (leaving it only for the Scout), but players adapted to use this instead. This used to be a problem when the vampire abused it and if im not mistaken the devs patched it.
    Suggestion:
    Add some form of cool-down after melee so you can't dodge (same as when you can't use melee right after dodging);
    OR introduce some form of stamina mechanic to limit abusing this...

3. Not being able to hit a human slightly higher than you
    So, this happens when humans are on top things such as boxes or stairs.
    There is even a famous "box" point in Freeport where you can sit there without any worry (aside projectiles, e.g. Air strike).
    It feels stupid when you miss a melee cause a human is on some stairs right in front of you.
    Suggestion:
    Increase the vampire's melee hit-box to include a small height area;
    OR implement an alternate melee strike that goes upwards.

4. Corners
    Yes...our mortal enemy...I'm probably not the only one that is sick of getting stuck on corners (and stairs).
    You try to make a sharp turn, but end up standing in front of a wall/staircase like an idiot...not to mention abilities such as Charge that get "denied" cause of this...
    Suggestion:
    Make the barriers* surrounding the corners into a curve, so you can't get stuck...this same idea could be applied to stairs btw, so humans and vamps don't get stuck on that first step.

*I'm not sure how you call the barriers that limit the player model from going through a wall, so i'll call them barriers.

---------------------//---------------------

These are some thoughts i had about the game, and i wanted feed-back from the community to discuss if this should be altered or left the way it is...

About #4...Couldn't you just not run into corners?

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    Well it's not like i want to get stuck on corners...i'm trying to get away, so i try to do the fastest get-away by going very near the corner.

There is a similar problem with stairs also, when you try to go up them from the side.

I personally feel this could be improved, but if you never suffered this problem...then maybe it's an isolated issue (that's why i want to discuss it...you agreed with the first 3 perhaps?)

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    There is the issue at times where you make a turn that's a little too tight and a (very) small part of your body touches a corner and you come to a dead stop. It can be irritating. The shack at the pier in freeport is where it happens a lot for me.
    My nosgoth referral link: http://bit.ly/1JPbc9B
    signature image

It's fine. Just be smart. Climb and jump, charge, leap, fly, throw grenade, etc.
    2. Melee + dodge
    Yeah, it making gap between newbie and veteran and should be nurfed. Nosgoth about tatcits and teamplay, not movement. But cooldown isnt good idea. Did you see alchemist melee+dodge? This is answer.
    It's not billiards, you shouldnt. It's fine. Can be catched by bird. Can be dominated. You can climb and hit. Human on box not changing position during fight -- easy to target.
    4. Corners
    Do you want to go through walls also, for players who cant go curved corner? You want to see hand inside wall waiting attack near corner? Want more unrealistic "collisions"?
    Imagene how corner feels in this game. Hit corner and stop is death in pvp modes. You not get speed in 1sec by pressing forward - it's dodges, jumps, and carefull strafe. And corners not curved. Because it corners, dont hit them, go carefully. It's part of mechanics.
    Sorry for my terrible English

Originally Posted by Khalith
    There is the issue at times where you make a turn that's a little too tight and a (very) small part of your body touches a corner and you come to a dead stop. It can be irritating. The shack at the pier in freeport is where it happens a lot for me.
    Exactly where i was getting at...thx for explaining it better than me.

Originally Posted by ButtCrusher
    It's fine. Just be smart. Climb and jump, charge, leap, fly, throw grenade, etc.
    So if you're on the ground and all your abilities are cooling down, just give up then right?
    That's pretty much what i do since it's not possible to catch him (sprint Scout)...especially if you're Deceiver and don't have DM.

2. Melee + dodge
    Yeah, it making gap between newbie and veteran and should be nurfed. Nosgoth about tatcits and teamplay, not movement. But cooldown isnt good idea. Did you see alchemist melee+dodge? This is answer.
    Yeah, it doesn't work so no one uses her melee+dodge...cause her range is meh, and her attack is slow.
    This is a possible fix yeah

It's not billiards, you shouldnt. It's fine. Can be catched by bird. Can be dominated. You can climb and hit. Human on box not changing position during fight -- easy to target.
    I think you never experience what im trying to say...it's not someone above you.
    They are in front of you, their legs being at the height of your vampire chest/waist...but if you attack, you miss.
    Some players exploit this, camping on top of boxes (most famous case is on Freeport, near the wooden bridge)...it's not too critical tho, you can use projectiles as i said...i find it a game flaw though.

4. Corners
    Do you want to go through walls also, for players who cant go curved corner? You want to see hand inside wall waiting attack near corner? Want more unrealistic "collisions"?
    Imagene how corner feels in this game. Hit corner and stop is death in pvp modes. You not get speed in 1sec by pressing forward - it's dodges, jumps, and carefull strafe. And corners not curved. Because it corners, dont hit them, go carefully. It's part of mechanics.
    Read what Khalith wrote, then if you still feel the same...well...ok then