Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official forums exclusive dev Q&A session #27

Official forums exclusive dev Q&A session #27

Welcome to our twenty-seventh monthly* official TR forums exclusive developer Questions & Answers session!

We're holding one of these Q&A sessions every month* on this forum, where you guys can direct your burning questions to the dev team. During each session, the 5 best questions will be picked out by Meagan/Robin and answered by a CrystalD crew member. Just a few conditions:

- Maximum 2 questions per member per Q&A session.

- Read all previously answered questions in our official FAQ threads before posting. We don't want questions which are already answered!

- Until answers are posted, no off topic in this thread. Only posts containing questions for the devs. For everything else, use other threads like the Humble Abode. Once answers are posted, you can discuss freely and go OT here.

- Post only intelligent, well thought-out questions which are articulate, clear and to the point.

Example...

Good:

I really loved the music in the Turning Point trailer. Will it be the Main Theme of the game?

Bad:

omg omg omg this is awesome thank u guys for doing this im so stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! k my question is about the trailer! I really liked the music in it and its sumthing i listen to often because i play violin and stuff lol so i know u guys maybe dont wanna give too much info away already but i guess what else is the point of this thread, rite? lmao. so pleasssssssssseeeeeee tell me if the music is gonna be the main theme in the game. i sooooooo much loved it and i wanna hear it for all the time when im on the title screen lolololololololol

====================

This session will end on March 21, 2015

=== Forum Q&A session history ===

Session #1 - December 2011
    Session #2 - February 2012
    Session #3 - April 2012
    Session #4 - May 2012
    Session #5 - June 2012 (special E3 ambassador edition)
    Session #6 - July 2012
    Session #7 - August/September 2012
    Session #8 - October 2012
    Session #9 - November 2012
    Session #10 - December 2012
    Session #11 - January 2013
    Session #12 - May 2013
    Session #13 - June 2013
    Session #14 - June/July/August 2013
    Session #15 - September 2013
    Session #16 - November 2013
    Session #17 - Dec 2013/Jan 2014
    Session #18 - Feb 2014
    Session #19 - Oct 2014
    Session #20 - Feb 2015
    Session #21 - Mar 2015
    Session #22 - Apr 2015
    Session #23 - May 2015
    Session #24 - June 2015 (special E3 ambassador edition)
    Session #25 - July 2015
    Session #26 - October 2015
    Session #27 - March 2016

*Schedules permitting. For example, around Christmas and summer holidays, we may skip a month or span a session across multiple months.

1. are there going to be more locations or just one country/island again with several hubs?

2. is the survival theme going to be trimmed down or completely removed?
    signature image

1. While there are a vast number of unlockable outfits for ROTTR a lot of them seem to be within the same slightly narrow frame in contrast to something like the scope of TR Legend so will we get to see some more diverse attire that will let Lara be more feminine, stylish or quirky rather than just survivalist?

2. Is there a feedback response model towards the additional content such as season pass where you can build on the aspects that are being received positively or is it more the content is fixed at release?

1. I understand that Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider have taken a different path than its predecessors, but will we ever see another nod toward the older games, like Lara's classic outfit(s) added as unlockables or downloadable content? I think a lot of fans have asked for that and would irrevocably appreciate it.

2. While I did appreciate the location and setting of Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider, will we get to experience different and varying locations, like a city or metropolis, even if it's a short sequence like Syria in ROTTR? Tomb Raider was set on an island and Rise of the Tomb Raider, though set in Siberia, felt almost similar in environment to Tomb Raider (2013).

(click image to enlarge)

Great to have the monthly Q and A section back .

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    1. I understand that Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider have taken a different path than its predecessors, but will we ever see another nod toward the older games, like Lara's classic outfit(s) added as unlockables or downloadable content? I think a lot of fans have asked for that and would irrevocably appreciate it.
    Beat me to it .

1. Classic outfit has been the most requested additional content across this and other forums since ROTTR launch. There is a lot of passion out here for it's return so will you be bringing it back soon?
    Last edited by Error96_; 20th Mar 2016 at 18:00. Reason: Made it more question than statements

Are there plans to expand on the swimming mechanic? For example, in the next game, there could be sea/ocean levels or areas where Lara uses scuba gear with fins and wetsuit. It'll be nice to have sunken relics and to fight marine life such as sharks. On land, we can even have crocodiles. Of course if underwater then Lara's weapons would be either her knife from Rise of the Tomb Raider or a harpoon/spear gun.

1. Will the remaining outfits (pre-order and xb1 exclusives) eventually be released for the PC/Steam version of Rise? They're available for purchase on the xbox store page and I'd love to have them available as a PC user.

2. Would it be possible to create a free cam mode from within the game? There's some absolutely stunning scenes that I would just love to get screenshots of if I could only compose exactly where I want Lara to stand in the "photo".

1. Can you give us anymore details on the release time for the PS4 version of Rise?

2. As a big fan of all the generations of TR I wanted to know if you will be remaking any old game levels or outfits to mark the 20th Anniversary?
    Last edited by Steel_Wing; 8th Mar 2016 at 16:18.

1.) Will we be getting more locations in Endurance Mode?
    2.) Will we ever get an option to sport the Remnant Jacket with the hood?
    signature image

Would you consider releasing a vinyl for the soundtracks of the games? (Especially the older/original ones!) I collect vinyls, and the Tomb Raider main themes would be great!

1) Being devs, when it comes to the concept of a season pass, is there a serious consideration and debate about "Do we have enough planned to warrant this?" or is it "just a given nowadays" that you need to offer one regardless of what sort of plans for DLC there are?

2) Was there ever a moment when developing 'Rise' when everyone had to step back and say: "Ok, this is Tomb Raider we're working on and while this is a new timeline we still need to respect what's come before"? If so what was that moment in regards to and what changes (if any) did that moment bring about?
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

1) In Tomb Raider 2013 and ROTTR Lara's melee combat was a bit weak and lacked devastation to enemies. Will her melee combat ever be expanded on so she can deliver longer combos to show her strength and sharp edge?

2) In future installments, will Lara's acrobatic abilities increase such as climbing and moving faster or becoming more agile during combat?
    Last edited by JuditePrince12; 9th Mar 2016 at 00:55.

1) Puzzles weren't very prominent in TR2013 but their increased prevalence of puzzles in ROTTR has had a great reception. Do you feel that alters the way you now see the balance between the gameplay elements?

2) The Season pass has some good elements but there didn't seem to be enough to appeal to the oldskool players. Do you think this is something you could bring more to future SPs?

Loving the enthusiasm for this Q&A. Already making notes on some of these as there's a few topics mentioned I've been keen to dig into with you guys!

1/ There are many hardcore gamers out there. Survivor just wasn't challenging enough for such players, do you think it will be possible to introduce a new difficulty level in a future patch for ROTTR that will be really brutal to even the most experienced and hardcore gamer?

Just a few days left to get your questions in, folks

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

1. I am excited to get to play expedition mode. Will we be able to purchase this on PS4 from launch or will there be a further wait beyond that?

2. Lara's confidence really seems to be growing and I was a little disappointed to see the direction of the season pass clothes not appear to reflect that. Are we going to see more self-expression in how Lara dresses?
    signature image

Thanks for submitting your questions! This thread is now closed but we will re-open when we have answers available!

Hello all! Re-opening this thread with answers to your questions from the latest Q&A. A big shout out to you all for your patience. Read on for answers to Dev Q&A #27 with insights provided by Franchise Creative Director, Noah Hughes!

Scion_Light: Puzzles weren't very prominent in TR2013 but their increased prevalence of puzzles in ROTTR has had a great reception. Do you feel that alters the way you now see the balance between the gameplay elements?

Chaugmar: Is there a feedback response model towards the additional content such as season pass where you can build on the aspects that are being received positively or is it more the content is fixed at release?

Valenka: I understand that Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider have taken a different path than its predecessors, but will we ever see another nod toward the older games, like Lara's classic outfit(s) added as unlockables or downloadable content? I think a lot of fans have asked for that and would irrevocably appreciate it.

jd641_: Would it be possible to create a free cam mode from within the game? There's some absolutely stunning scenes that I would just love to get screenshots of if I could only compose exactly where I want Lara to stand in the "photo".

WinterSoldierLTE: Was there ever a moment when developing 'Rise' when everyone had to step back and say: "Ok, this is Tomb Raider we're working on and while this is a new timeline we still need to respect what's come before"? If so what was that moment in regards to and what changes (if any) did that moment bring about?

JuditePrince12: In future installments, will Lara's acrobatic abilities increase such as climbing and moving faster or becoming more agile during combat?

Thank you for the answers Robin and Noah. Some really interesting replies.

Awesome. Thanks, you guys!

(click image to enlarge)

Very interesting answers. I'm liking that CD are not just looking at trying to view classic elements through a modern lens as that hasn't been enough for the classic fans. It's awesome to hear that they are looking at how to directly celebrate this elements.

The gameplay balance answers seem quite informative. The idea of fans wishing for more combat related DLC seems at odds with most of the general feeling I have read after 2013 so I am a bit surprised as to where that came from. I hope we do get more puzzles for the 3rd reboot game and they strive to keep increasing the amount of this in the games.
    signature image

Thank you SO much for the remaining March answers Robin, very insightful. CD seem very confident in their direction of the franchise now, and I'm glad they're listening to the fan requests and balancing it with their own vision of TR to make it, well in the end, TR!

Good to get those answers. I agree very much that the puzzles are a real differentiator for TR as an adventure game and hope the pillar balance goes more to bigger puzzles.

So in a Nut shell

will we ever see Lara use her dual guns again ? No
    What about all her old cool outfits ? No those are Sexist
    Will we get to see her doing back flips & stuff ? No that is Not Realistic

Oh but killing over 100 people while bleeding to death in a lake of blood fighting Monster's Ripped off from Shadow Warrior without Dying of Blood Infection is ? that & how tombs now are nothing but big challenge rooms & not really tombs. this is just uncharted Mortal kombat style not tomb raider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast