Thread: Why is Airstrike OP rip-off's of Sticky Grenade?

Why is Airstrike OP rip-off's of Sticky Grenade?

Why is Airstrike OP rip-off's of Sticky Grenade?

As the title says, why is it that Airstrike are stronger rip-offs of Sticky Grenade?

It has twice the blast radius, deals damage close to the normal Sticky Grenade and it actually sticks onto a human if it lands on them, wouldn't it make sense if it just explodes on impact, since it is called Airstrike? No matter how I see it, it is just a lazy copy of Sticky Grenade but much easier to use and has a higher chance on hitting enemies due to its large radius, the bomb looks like a human grenade as well, couldn't there have been a better alternative? Now Sentinel's are getting a somewhat similar skill like Charge but for Aerial assaults.

Why are any abilities similar to any other?
    Why is Marathon literally just a longer Charge? You want to talk about rip-offs...

The lore makes some mention of Sentinels stealing enemy supplies if that helps. And it actually has less chance to hit due to the detonation time and being easy to spot with the Sentinel hanging in mid-air. Exploding on impact would arguably make more sense for the name but it's hardly necessary.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 31st Jan 2016 at 18:55.

Air Strike isn't OP...

From the distance they are usually cast, it's quite rare they stick on a human...so considering that, plus their detonations time, it's quite easy to avoid them.

Regarding it being rip-off of sticky-grenade, I do hope they make a blue-fire AOE bomb for the sentinel in the future to make them more unique.

I don't think Air Strike is OP, it can only be used in the air, long cd, and it's not really effective against a team looking out for it. Although it can be effect for humans in combat with the rest of the vampires and standing near each other.

Although, I will add this, while I assert it's OP, I also think that it's vastly superior to all current choices for that slot to the point where you are gimping yourself if not using it. That does make it OP? No. But I do believe that it means the other abilities are inferior.
    My nosgoth referral link: http://bit.ly/1JPbc9B
    signature image

Originally Posted by Khalith
    I don't think Air Strike is OP, it can only be used in the air, long cd, and it's not really effective against a team looking out for it. Although it can be effect for humans in combat with the rest of the vampires and standing near each other.

Although, I will add this, while I assert it's OP, I also think that it's vastly superior to all current choices for that slot to the point where you are gimping yourself if not using it. That does make it OP? No. But I do believe that it means the other abilities are inferior.
    It is a very handy ability but, I have to admit, that after using Takeoff so frequently with Abduct, Puncture, and Killing Spree talent it's hard to let go of Takeoff. Other than that, only Sonic Shriek still has some merit if it's used with opening an attack for the vampires because sound is pretty essential to avoiding a lot of attacks in this game. Divebomb though... meh. Honestly, being able to use Divebomb and Takeoff alongside each other would make for a pretty high energy playstyle with sentinel.

Originally Posted by TheDreamcrusher
    It is a very handy ability but, I have to admit, that after using Takeoff so frequently with Abduct, Puncture, and Killing Spree talent it's hard to let go of Takeoff. Other than that, only Sonic Shriek still has some merit if it's used with opening an attack for the vampires because sound is pretty essential to avoiding a lot of attacks in this game. Divebomb though... meh. Honestly, being able to use Divebomb and Takeoff alongside each other would make for a pretty high energy playstyle with sentinel.
    I run what I consider the "standard" sentinel loadout. Abduct, Puncture, Airstrike, and either the bleed perk, the cooldown perk, or the attack speed one depending on my mood. I don't use Takeoff or Divebomb because they don't fit with my playstyle. I tend to wait for my group to engage and then air strike or air strike to soften them up or use it on the surviving humans as my team finishes them off.

My current tactic is this, once my team engages I dive in with abduct, grab a human, drag them along the ground, then immediately land and do the unavoidable puncture, one or two regular attacks after usually nets a kill, that's where the bleed or attack speed come in handy. Then when I fly back I can air strike whichever humans are left. Then again, I could probably do the same tactic with the screech or takeoff. The way the game is right now, that Abduct drag to unavoidable Puncture combo might be a little too powerful.
    My nosgoth referral link: http://bit.ly/1JPbc9B
    signature image

Originally Posted by Khalith
    I run what I consider the "standard" sentinel loadout. Abduct, Puncture, Airstrike, and either the bleed perk, the cooldown perk, or the attack speed one depending on my mood. I don't use Takeoff or Divebomb because they don't fit with my playstyle. I tend to wait for my group to engage and then air strike or air strike to soften them up or use it on the surviving humans as my team finishes them off.

My current tactic is this, once my team engages I dive in with abduct, grab a human, drag them along the ground, then immediately land and do the unavoidable puncture, one or two regular attacks after usually nets a kill, that's where the bleed or attack speed come in handy. Then when I fly back I can air strike whichever humans are left. Then again, I could probably do the same tactic with the screech or takeoff. The way the game is right now, that Abduct drag to unavoidable Puncture combo might be a little too powerful.
    The combo is very strong, no doubt. I try to play without it, but if my team is getting hammered I'll use it a few times to try to keep pace. I use Takeoff because I like to use Killing Spree in the following way: silently swoop behind the human team, cancel flight, land next to someone, Puncture, and Takeoff. Usually by that time I've cause enough distraction and hopefully not been gunned down, depending on how quick my team is to move in, and I can return to Abduct my target and activate Killing Spree. I would say this is a moderately situational loadout, but the style is fun to me and if I get killed too much I switch. Sometimes the team will play more hit and run than brawl and that's when I get killed a lot. I brawl.

On-topic: Air Strike should get a visual overhaul to differentiate it from Sticky Grenade. This might be an opportunity to show off Razielim sorcery. I do like the functionality of having the bomb stick somewhere, but an alternate would be welcome. Tossing a handful of bomblets to carpet bomb an area would be cool, say 5-10 mini-explosions 35 damage each that detonate on contact.
    Last edited by TheDreamcrusher; 1st Feb 2016 at 04:35. Reason: added on-topic response

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    Regarding it being rip-off of sticky-grenade, I do hope they make a blue-fire AOE bomb for the sentinel in the future to make them more unique.
    Wouldn't that make them less unique by basically just being Airstike-but-blue?

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    Wouldn't that make them less unique by basically just being Airstike-but-blue?
    I disagree...it would be like a blue napalm bomb. At least that's how i'd envision it.