Thread: This game made me cry, but not from what you might expect. (Spoilers)

This game made me cry, but not from what you might expect. (Spoilers)

Yea there were all the emotional scenes that can make you cry, and they did. But there was also something deeper and more subtle. Like a beautiful way to see life including all its mystery and sorrow. The tone of it all, it felt good for the soul and teared me up.

The dialogue, unforgettable and relatable characters. and the camera angles, mixed with that incredible music made such a sincere emotional atmosphere. Like I could really feel the emotion pouring through the screen. I haven't felt this kind of emotional atmosphere anywhere in anything else. Is there anything else like it?

The supernatural mixed with the extremely realistic and relatable story and the art direction gave the whole game a magnetic magical feel. The game made me feel more alive and more like there are people out there that can understand me. It impacted me enough to have me post on a game message board for the first time in years. I don't play games much anymore but this seemed like a special one and it sure was.

When the song Mt. Washington hit at the end of either episode 1 or 2 (can't remember), and you see all the characters doing whatever it is they are doing at that moment, you just feel like they are all going through something that they can all relate too and the camera and lighting was fantastic.
    Other amazing tracks were Obstacles, To All of You, Santa Monica Dream, Mountains, The Sense of Me, and Kids Will Be Skeletons, and I am sure I missed some. Whenever these songs came on, mixed with the visuals, it was so deep. Idk if words can describe it. Like life is strange, and short, and sorrowful and delicate, but wonderful and special.

The game def changed me for the better.
    Unfortunately, I feel as though the game has very superficial amounts of replay value, with the overall only decent final episode (very interesting but too much supernatural not enough closure/emotion), and disappointing ending I can't see myself being impacted the same way again knowing already how it all goes down. The wonder and mystery was a big part of it. Now when I play it I will just feel nostalgic and melancholic emotions for the first time I played the game.. Especially since i make it tedious on myself because I just have to examine everything in every single room.

I loved the character Max and feel like she is a best friend I won't see again.. which is the saddest part of it all. Especially with the little closure we got. I feel like there is so much left to tell, but I know part of the reason the game was so good was because how concise and focused it was. I do wish Max was a little more assertive and less modest. I especially wish she would have talked about her really deep feelings at some point. I know you can read her whole journal but wish you found what her real raw emotions were. OK yea I also know you can sit down in many places and hear her think too which was actually one of my favorite features in the game. Maybe I just wish I could have a conversation with her in real life haha.

I am sure the devs also wanted us to use our own thoughts to think how Max truly feels and also to fill in the blanks on the ending but it doesn't make me not wish I could experience more.

All in all, it seems this game was completely designed to be the most cute, relatable, beautiful, artsy thing ever made?? Idk but it seems that way. The depth of emotional overtones and depth of perceiving and exploring the characters (as the mind of the player) was superb. Hard to see how a Season 2 could live up but I'm sure they are thinking of it.
    Last edited by Dmax28; 4th Nov 2015 at 08:07.

Hey there.

I think it is easily explainable why this game doesn't really have much in the terms of replay value, all the things you felt during the first play though you will only feel once, it's like a drug in that sense.

I found that Maxine expresses her raw emotions through her behavior, facial expressions and reactions in a way no words can.

I have given the ending some serious thought and I'm thinking that it is driving home the point that you failed with almost everything you try to do. It does give you a choice though between Chloe and Arcadia Bay, both endings focus on showing you the effects of failures. I'm also betting that doesn't sit well with people.

I find that this game is quite unique in the way it tells it's story, and has the potential to bring about changes to the person playing though it. It requires you as a player to put some thought into it, I had similar experiences with Shadowrun Dragonfall, that games does ask you some moral questions now and then.
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

I have to say that playing twice didn't have a negative impact on the intensity of the feels. Just less dread because I knew what is coming. But the good stuff is still there when you re-visit.

I played through the game twice.

First game I let kate die and I cried. I let Chloe die and I cried.

Second game; I saved kate, and I cried, I let Chloe die and I still cried.

Each time, after finishing the game, it made feel depressed for a few days. It safe to say, that this is the only game I've ever played that has made me feel like this, most games try way too hard to make you like a character and be sad when they die, but most, if not all of them fail badly at this, LIS on the other hand, succeeds very well to connect you to the characters emotionally.

Yea forsure I hear you guys. I don't want to be mistaken for someone mad about the ending. It makes me a little upset, but I think the worst part about it is just that the game ended.. I would have hung out with Max for the rest of the school year...and after...and maybe to the point to then see her have a family... haha. Blacklash happens when a game is so impactful on so many people.

Yea, I mean once I played it I felt like a part of myself was touched that hadn't been for a long time and not to this degree.

For me personally, the whole part about the bullying towards Kate really got to me. Kate's character is such a sweet quiet girl, she doesn't deserve that sort of treatment : (

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_collapsed View Post
    I played through the game twice.

First game I let kate die and I cried. I let Chloe die and I cried.

Second game; I saved kate, and I cried, I let Chloe die and I still cried.

Each time, after finishing the game, it made feel depressed for a few days. It safe to say, that this is the only game I've ever played that has made me feel like this, most games try way too hard to make you like a character and be sad when they die, but most, if not all of them fail badly at this, LIS on the other hand, succeeds very well to connect you to the characters emotionally.
    Tears of joy and tears of sadness ?

Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    Tears of joy and tears of sadness ?
    When Chloe died, tears of sadness, even the second play through, as annoying as Chloe got, it's still sad when she dies.

Tears of sadness when kate commits suicide and tears of joy when i saved her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_collapsed View Post
    When Chloe died, tears of sadness, even the second play through, as annoying as Chloe got, it's still sad when she dies.

Tears of sadness when kate commits suicide and tears of joy when i saved her.
    I felt similar things, though most of my tears got reserved mostly for the time Chloe got killed in episode 4.

I felt similar things, though most of my tears got reserved mostly for the time Chloe got killed in episode 4.
    Interestingly, this one didn't hit me that hard as EP3 the ending or "save Arcadia Bay" (no, i didn't, i just had to watch it!).
    Jefferson shooting Chloe was to me just like "OMFG NO THIS IS NOT REAL!".

Quote Originally Posted by codemasher View Post
    Interestingly, this one didn't hit me that hard as EP3 the ending or "save Arcadia Bay" (no, i didn't, i just had to watch it!).
    Jefferson shooting Chloe was to me just like "OMFG NO THIS IS NOT REAL!".
    I think my reaction to this was because I can relate to Chloe is so many ways, I was like f0ck this did not happen, put my hands in front of my face, let the game run though the cutscenes and closed it, checked my FB account for a bit, opened up Payday 2 and ventilated my feelings on some pixelated cops...

Believe me, i can probably relate to Chloe as much as you do
    But that scene just left me in utter shock as it was so unreal that it felt already clear that this isn't Chloe's end, so i was more like "Oooookay, lets see what comes next..." followed by months of uncertainty...

I shouldn't have watched the "sacrifice Chloe" end though, damn, that almost felt like losing my best friend and left me weeping for some time.

But that scene just left me in utter shock as it was so unreal that it felt already clear that this isn't Chloe's end, so i was more like "Oooookay, lets see what comes next..." followed by months of uncertainty...

I shouldn't have watched the "sacrifice Chloe" end though, damn, that almost felt like losing my best friend and left me weeping for some time.
    I was devastated after watching the "sacrifice Chloe" end, I felt like I was watching myself die in the bathroom and watching my own funeral. Watching that is still giving me hours lying in bed, and it also forced me to come to some sort of terms with my own mortality.

I think this is without any doubt the single most power experience I have had trough a video game every, and some of the "difficult" movies I have watch do not even come close to this level of immersion.

Edit : I can understand your view of the ending, I've attended a funeral of friend many years ago, and it certainly reminded of that day.
    Last edited by KristaD; 5th Nov 2015 at 10:41. Reason: more stuffz!

Yeah, same here. I was so sure that Chloes is too important. What a shock it was that it turns out that they'll go through with in the end after all... if you let them, that is

Why nobody talks about the music? *^* oh my glob, I cry like a little boy with the soundtrack. The music melts with the images and animations so good that is engraved in my mind. This is something that gets to me so easily, I have that music memory, I remember every single though and feeling I had when I first listened to a particular song. This story mixed with that music = perfection. It has this naive sound of hope in this far away town, away from all the rest of the world, like an independent universe. And Max being her innocent self and nice, wanting the best for everyone...I actually met someone just like her, all the feels in the world crumble =(

I think this is without any doubt the single most power experience I have had trough a video game every, and some of the "difficult" movies I have watch do not even come close to this level of immersion.
    Well said. The emotional level is on par with Cast Away or even Titanic. Bravo. No film has ever depicted a kiss that swept me away, but the kiss between Max and Chloe was absolutely jawdropping. Great job writers