Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The devs are quiet?

The devs are quiet?

Okay, first of all, sorry about the title. I do suck at naming them...

Anyway, Life is Strange's final episode was released a couple of days ago. Before that release, the devs were fairly active (at least those who I follow on twitter), posting stuff and interacting with fans. But after the release, all I've seen is retweets of other people. Am I missing something? Am I following the "wrong" people? Why aren't they answering questions?

I know it may not be common practice for companies to engage with fans over social medias, but that was the image I got from Dontnod. Please don't be quiet. Interact with us!

There may be several reasons for that.

1. There is a lot of fallout regarding the end. The hate spewing on social media and in forums must be pretty harsh from what I've seen. And you know even one negative comment can completely ruin your day, so the people on social media might either not be willing to comment on those posts at the moment or they have even been told by PR to not comment, until they have agreed on a unified answer. There is nothing worse in PR than different people voicing their opinions, when those opinions don't align with the message the company wishes to send. It may be honest, but in the end it will put more people off than it'll help, as these comments are often made in "the heat of the moment" and with things like this you want to think about what you're going to reply.

2. They might be reading and gathering everything for an official post instead of replying to every message now.

3. Game finally finished, I guess lots of folks are going to be on a short vacation

Just some reasons I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire87 View Post

1. There is a lot of fallout regarding the end. The hate spewing on social media and in forums must be pretty harsh from what I've seen. And you know even one negative comment can completely ruin your day, so the people on social media might either not be willing to comment on those posts at the moment or they have even been told by PR to not comment, until they have agreed on a unified answer. There is nothing worse in PR than different people voicing their opinions, when those opinions don't align with the message the company wishes to send. It may be honest, but in the end it will put more people off than it'll help, as these comments are often made in "the heat of the moment" and with things like this you want to think about what you're going to reply.

2. They might be reading and gathering everything for an official post instead of replying to every message now.

3. Game finally finished, I guess lots of folks are going to be on a short vacation

Well spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire87 View Post

Perhaps you're right.

I wonder if they're in some sort of "damage control" mode? Some responses found in different social medias are quite... vile and angry.

I would not be surprised if they are just discussing how to deal with "internet outrage", witch is no easy task given how some people behave online when they don't get what they want, or if something doesn't live up their expectations.

I've always wondered why people think buying a product that would be considered an art (like this game) entitles the buyer to make demands about it not meeting their standards, I wonder if people do with books as well...
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    I would not be surprised if they are just discussing how to deal with "internet outrage", witch is no easy task given how some people behave online when they don't get what they want, or if something doesn't live up their expectations.

I've always wondered why people think buying a product that would be considered an art (like this game) entitles the buyer to make demands about it not meeting their standards, I wonder if people do with books as well...

Yes KristaD, they do it with books as well. Just recently, there was a "big" (I put it in quotes just in case someone has a different perception of big than me) controversy within the Divergent fandom about how Allegiant ended. (I will spare the details just in case there's another fan on here that hasn't read the ending yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerThanFiction View Post
    Yes KristaD, they do it with books as well. Just recently, there was a "big" (I put it in quotes just in case someone has a different perception of big than me) controversy within the Divergent fandom about how Allegiant ended. (I will spare the details just in case there's another fan on here that hasn't read the ending yet.)
    Oh, I think know that, but then I just read my books and leave it at that.

I personally that things lose some of their meaning/value if the creators start catering too much to their (target) audience, just look at the crap Michael Bay spews out....
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

How's that saying go. . ."you can please some of the people some the time, but not all the people all of the time."

And with freedom of choice in mind: none of us had to buy this game, but we did so in the hope (or belief) that we would get to experience something different. There have been many games that, in the past I have bought and ended up being hugely disappointed with but, I made that choice to begin with and have only myself to blame for buying them in the first place.
    signature image

It's been pretty much confirmed that time and budget were an issue by the end, why not simply release an Extended cut DLC to improve the ending? If it would cost 1-2 dollars, I am sure most people would buy it and be happy. Heck, at this point it would be enough to announce such a release at some point - most raging would stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Forest View Post
    It's been pretty much confirmed that time and budget were an issue by the end, why not simply release an Extended cut DLC to improve the ending? If it would cost 1-2 dollars, I am sure most people would buy it and be happy. Heck, at this point it would be enough to announce such a release at some point - most raging would stop.

A main part of the reason why is that they're already working on another game; Vampyr. Dontnod is a small indie developer, so they most likely don't have all the resources to allocate to more than one project at a time (though I do agree with you).

Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    How's that saying go. . ."you can please some of the people some the time, but not all the people all of the time."

And with freedom of choice in mind: none of us had to buy this game, but we did so in the hope (or belief) that we would get to experience something different. There have been many games that, in the past I have bought and ended up being hugely disappointed with but, I made that choice to begin with and have only myself to blame for buying them in the first place.
    True that.

Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post

Truth.

You can't please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerThanFiction View Post
    A main part of the reason why is that they're already working on another game; Vampyr. Dontnod is a small indie developer, so they most likely don't have all the resources to allocate to more than one project at a time (though I do agree with you).
    I understand that and I think, in this case, even a number of still shots would be enough. Besides, doing something like that would really help Dontnod's reputation, resulting in better sales for their next game (or even for Remember Me).

Well, I think first of all Dontnod should simply ignore all people who just rant and post rude comments. Those people are not helping at all. Then Dontnod should focus on people/comments who are tyring to give some constructive crtiticism. And then they should make a final decision based upon all the feedback/constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Forest View Post
    I understand that and I think, in this case, even a number of still shots would be enough. Besides, doing something like that would really help Dontnod's reputation, resulting in better sales for their next game (or even for Remember Me).
    Yes. I agree. As I already mentioned before in several other threads, it would be an very easy task (which doesn't need that many resources) to just polish and flesh out the existing endings up a little bit. Especially the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" ending. Just add a few additional shots (e.g. showing survivors of Arcadia Bay, etc.) here and there, add a few lines of additional dialogue and maybe an epilogue photo slide show, and the ending would be much better. This could probably be done by just one or two programers in about two weeks or so.

For example that one guy over at youtube, who added the "Max & Chloe kiss" scene to the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" ending. He added that shot to the ending in what? Two days? So I don't see why the devs couldn't officially add such a scene to the ending as well. Not much work needed to do so, and this ending would IMO be way better.

So, I'm really, really hoping that the devs decide to flesh out the existing endings a litte bit at least . Add a bit more explanation and closure. That's all I would like to see.

We never know until they announce something. Maybe they are perfectly happy with how ep5 and the end turned out, despite the "budget and time constraints". Remember that these constraints are NORMAL in any "artsy" industry. It's the same with movies or books as well. There are budgets to adhere to and deadlines to meet. That being said... all the haters, who spew out that vile bull on social media or on forums. It's so irritating. This entitlement. People here are "asking" nicely and providing constructive feedback, while comments elsewhere are all like " them, I want my money back, cry cry, never buy a game from them again, the betrayed me..." WTF is wrong with people? Just because they didn't get what they wanted?

Where it's confirmed that they have problem with time and money? In any sites i read this, and in others that they did make the game how they write at the beginning.

If it right and they state it during the NYCC I think thats the truth. Now after the episode it´s out they try to lower the damage and maybe are contractual bond to "official" comment´s like stay loyal with your employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadiagamer View Post
    Where it's confirmed that they have problem with time and money? In any sites i read this, and in others that they did make the game how they write at the beginning.
    I guess it's something of both. I think that the major plot points and final outcome/decisons were planned all along. But because of time/money they had to cut some things out at the end. I assume the actual conent didn't change a lot (possibly some details were cut), but the way how it was presented to us might have changed (I would guess the "Sacrfice Arcadia Bay" ending was supposed to show more content/details at the end).

Maybe there was an additional third ending planned as well (Max sacrifices herself?), which was cut. But that's just pure speculation on my side.

Uh common... "you can't please anyone" is a very weak statement.
    You will never please all. That is kinda "Cpt. Obvious" and not worth mentioning. But that shouldn't stop you from trying your best to deliver a great story (that makes sense and evokes emotions that make the audience happy/sad/like they want to come back and get some more of it...)
    I'm sorry, but somewhere this story here went off the tracks. And now it ends with an emotional trauma for many players. This is not "some like others don't". This is really horrible for many.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFrog View Post
    Uh common... "you can't please anyone" is a very weak statement.
    You will never please all. That is kinda "Cpt. Obvious" and not worth mentioning. But that shouldn't stop you from trying your best to deliver a great story (that makes sense and evokes emotions that make the audience happy/sad/like they want to come back and get some more of it...)
    I'm sorry, but somewhere this story here went off the tracks. And now it ends with an emotional trauma for many players. This is not "some like others don't". This is really horrible for many.
    From Ep 1 we were expecting it's not gonna end with "happily ever after"

There was a tweet that either was fake or has now been deleted since I cannot find it. I know nothing anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lifeisstran...f_the_endings/ it's the only link I had found now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tataboj View Post
    From Ep 1 we were expecting it's not gonna end with "happily ever after"
    mhhh...dont compare the one with the other...

Well we know and the game told us it can go all wrong but to rush-end a game has nothing to do with the story. And if you compare the first 4 episodes with the last, special the two endings you see there is something wrong totaly indipendendly from the question are that good, bad, horrible, sad or anything else choices you are forced to make at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalXPredator View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/lifeisstran...f_the_endings/ it's the only link I had found now.
    Sounds a little bit cheap...we want do it right, now "its good like it is" the smiling is enought, use your own imagination...but we are under time and money pressure and do the best we can...Sorry if this wasn't showed enough though.

Its what Lehkeri told us about to write a story and what every author should had in mind. "Dont think Show!" The audience didnt know what you have in your mind if you dont tell it and dont show it...

I cant belive that these ppl can make pure gold over four episodes and than fall so deep and forgott all about story telling!?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast