Thread: Whoa! You guys have been playing this the whole time?!!!

Whoa! You guys have been playing this the whole time?!!!

Whoa! You guys have been playing this the whole time?!!!

Hello, I've been obsessed with the land of Nosgoth since 1983, years and years before it existed for any of you, and before many of you existed. When the first video game came out I took a copy of it and rubbed it around in my armpit to mark it with my musk. That's just some background info.

Then, Nosgoth the Game arrived, and you all jumped on it.
    Every now and then I'll remember this game exists, and I'll slap my forehead, overcome with an entire range of emotions.
    By now Nosgoth has probably even been officially released! (congrats)

Dying every 9 seconds is exciting, sure, yet it didn't really match up with the vampire stereotype of living for hundreds of years, so I had trouble staying fascinated by this game for more than about 3 days or the length of time Christ spent in the tomb, whichever you prefer. And all the running around used to lead to something for these LOK vampires---revelations that were considered the meat of the game and the main reason to play, but now the killing and running around is the entire game. So I got into the Simpsons mobile game to get that sense of accomplishment that comes from building something up and making progress and all that good stuff.

But now Nosgoth has been around for a while and I see some familiar people are still playing it! That's both hard and intense of you. At this point you must have suffered about 800,000 deaths or so. Which is commendable. And action packed..... with repetition. But it's a repetition of the thing you love doing. So that's hot.

If you've been playing the game since day one, what's your name? Any idea? And do you live for the thrill of the chase? You must, right? What is it about Nosgoth that keeps you absorbed and aroused? Because in Springfield the thing that keeps me going is the dream of building my monorail so it loops around the town efficiently and effectively. But for you daily players of Nosgoth I imagine it's the slaying and the resurrecting that keeps you going. Like Buffy. Or is it all the specific items and abilities and killing strategies that you can try out in this game? (all the stuff that to me looks too specific and obscure to get excited about. But once I was drawn into the game and my pulse was racing, would all that niche item stuff seem more vital?)

Anyway, if they ever drop more details about Legacy of Kain into the game, like important historical stuff, I'd like it if Eidos or a mod would PM me about it, so I can get the heads up when it's time to tune back in. Thanks.

It's coming on 2 years for me and Nosgoth; but I started with Soul Reaver back in the day, I'm curious as to what was in 1983 since Blood Omen came out in 1996.

The LOK series were action adventure games that were more about the adventure; and Nosgoth is an action adventure game that is more about the action. The lore is not the focus but it isn't nonexistent, in the next map we will finally be going through an area we visited in the series; and we are one vampire class away from have all 6 vampire clans present and accounted for.
    Last edited by GenFeelGood; 1st Sep 2015 at 19:58.

1983 was the year of Heart's self-titled album. The one with These Dreams on it, so I dreamt of a world where vampires tore out hearts. And I willed Nosgoth into being. It took a while for it to materialize, because I had to wait for the humans to do their part (hiring all the programmers and 'creators' to do my bidding), and you know how everything they do has to have a corporation behind it, etc., but in the end it came to me as requested. A summoning of sorts.

This entire post is a single-player fan trying to grasp the appeal of comeptitive multiplayer titles.
    Remove Nosgoth and replace it with Counter Strike and post it on their forums - you will get the same response.
    pointless thread is pointless

Soul reaver was my first console game (alongside tomb raider and tekken 3) and as nosgoth takes place in the time line right before sr1 it's always held my attention through the bits of lore and dialogue scattered throughout the game, I was infinitely excited when I unlocked the evolved Deciever skin because he looks almost exactly like those god Damn spider-vampires from sr1 that gave me so much trouble. But I also thoroughly enjoy the competitive side as I have nearly 300 hours in this game.

Btw, Ignore Da_wolv, he's a jackass.

Originally Posted by Da_Wolv
    This entire post is a single-player fan trying to grasp the appeal of comeptitive multiplayer titles.
    Remove Nosgoth and replace it with Counter Strike and post it on their forums - you will get the same response.
    pointless thread is pointless
    Interesting perspective, to say the least.

Good to see you back here, TheSquid!
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Hello ancient. Serious, by the way, about letting me know the moment Square's ambitions grow beyond bloodletting.

And that earlier response was totally fair since I provoked it with like 27 different things I said. Pointless is the word. Indeed. I feel this era of competitive focus is pointless, while he feels it's very pointy. So he's butting his head against the same brick wall I am, just from the other side. Together our shared efforts will keep the wall standing upright and in place. (German wall-related humor). The point was to check in again and say hi and to Razz the complacent (to remind Enix that story content is a fine thing while also expressing my amazement at the staying power of Nosgoth type games to really captivate people, ala candy crush).

It'd be so nifty if they dropped some solid history on us too along with their game updates, like beginning to lock in specific outcomes of some famous battles from this conflict, for the historical record. Or they could reveal some of "what was really going on with the Razielim in secret" (ramping up for the story of how they survived what looked like their extinction in Soul Reaver). Etc. Anything, really.. I'd like to see them do it like how George R.R. Martin uses short stories to advance his Game of Thrones world while people wait for the next book. He uses specific content that adds great insight into his world, but without giving everything away or painting himself into a corner or anything. They could manage something like that. Lil' nuggets. Drips and drops. Scraps of prophecy.

This era of competitive play feels so nebulous like nothing is really being said for sure about Kain's world. It's a fun bubble to "live" in (and die in repeatedly) and I did enjoy it and I'm glad they gave us something to enjoy and they got some LOK product out there at last on the scoreboard. It his however a bubble, a frozen snapshot in time that shows us Nosgoth at a pivotal moment in history but doesn't let us really be sure of anything. We're stuck in a state of not knowing, similar to how Raziel lived, actually. And yet outside this bubble time keeps ticking, doesn't it. And unless we master it it will master us. This style of game seems designed to grab you for a couple few months, while the others in the series were meant to captivate you for all of time.

This era is redundant, all LOK fans understood that from the beginning; but that doesn't mean it can't be interesting and informative. We have learned much more about clans and the humans that rose to challenge them; and before this, the humans were nothing more than common antagonists to me (outside of the Circle Guardians).

I havnt laughed this hard in a long time ha. good post.

however LOK although officially being relased in 96 and having been developed in the years before it actually came about in 1961...with the Elric saga. Dyack himself stated that Elric was a huge inspiration for LOK and even stated that it was his take on the it as well as just loving the saga...but with talk of Elric comes talk of The Witcher...and plagerism and things for another time.

back on topic.

Nosgoth has quite a bit of lore and LOK within it, be it various symbols and just he lore blogs are great for getting back into the LOK universe. and seeing as how Cabuco himself has been helping with the evolved skins as well as story elements im sure. its enough to tide me and keep me happy. Nosgoth is the first real MP game ive played this much and im primarily and story diven single player guy.

Originally Posted by diuqSehT
    This era of competitive play feels so nebulous like nothing is really being said for sure about Kain's world. It's a fun bubble to "live" in (and die in repeatedly) and I did enjoy it and I'm glad they gave us something to enjoy and they got some LOK product out there at last on the scoreboard. It his however a bubble, a frozen snapshot in time that shows us Nosgoth at a pivotal moment in history but doesn't let us really be sure of anything. We're stuck in a state of not knowing, similar to how Raziel lived, actually. And yet outside this bubble time keeps ticking, doesn't it. And unless we master it it will master us. This style of game seems designed to grab you for a couple few months, while the others in the series were meant to captivate you for all of time.
    As I have said before in many posts:
    This is a multiplayer title - get over it.
    Noone is forcing you to stay, just because it has ties to LoK. If you don't like the gameplay, thats fine, but don't complain about not getting huge amounts of new Lore from a game that does not care about furthering lore.
    While I agree that titles like this can very much have good lore (just look at what Valve did with TF2 - the lore there is insane for 'just' a class-based FPS), I doubt you will reach anyone at SqEnix by complaining on the Nosgoth Forums for the game not being story focussed.

Sidebar: What makes you think comparing Competitive Multiplayer games with Candy Crush is a valid point?
    By that logic, every competitive and recreational sport ist just that. Run up to ball and kick it, catch a ball and throw it, hit a ball with a bat - that all seems just as redundant and boring, but its the competition that makes it interesting.

Originally Posted by Da_Wolv
    As I have said before in many posts:
    This is a multiplayer title - get over it.
    Noone is forcing you to stay, just because it has ties to LoK. If you don't like the gameplay, thats fine, but don't complain about not getting huge amounts of new Lore from a game that does not care about furthering lore.
    While I agree that titles like this can very much have good lore (just look at what Valve did with TF2 - the lore there is insane for 'just' a class-based FPS), I doubt you will reach anyone at SqEnix by complaining on the Nosgoth Forums for the game not being story focussed.

Sidebar: What makes you think comparing Competitive Multiplayer games with Candy Crush is a valid point?
    By that logic, every competitive and recreational sport ist just that. Run up to ball and kick it, catch a ball and throw it, hit a ball with a bat - that all seems just as redundant and boring, but its the competition that makes it interesting.
    I don't think anyone's asking for the lore to take precedence over the gameplay, just that given that a lot of the players here were originally drawn in by the connections to the LOK series. Plenty of people came here for the lore and stayed for the gameplay, but would still like to see more lore as well. I haven't played TF2, but I assume you chose that example because it had good gameplay too. Surely that would be evidence that additional lore in this game wouldn't ruin the gameplay.

If someone has different motivations for playing than you, why would it made a difference as long as they're keeping up the number of players in the game and paying for stuff to keep funding the new features? If it's because you don't like playing with or against those less skilled or competitive than you, it wouldn't be a problem if the matchmaking was improved (more players only helps) or maybe the lore might keep that particular portion of players interested longer so that they improve their skill. If it's about the lore diverting resources away from gameplay features, that shouldn't be a problem either. It's relatively quick/cheap to implement if it's primarily in text form that you can read in the frontend between matches or is simply incorporated into the visual design of the skins and maps that are continually being added anyway.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 2nd Sep 2015 at 10:16.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Whoa...Nerdtime boyz...Nerdtime!

I must say, I surely can somehow understand that something like this, with such a nerdy part of community has people in it, that want more lore.
    Totally get that.
    But why do you attack the players that love to play it?
    No wonder some will feel offended.

I am new to this genre dude...and yeah it´s fun to me, even though it is always the same...sure...it´s what this kind of game is about.
    Not everybody is intrested in lore of videogames...and that´s totally fine...same as being intrested in it.

So no hating here, but I don´t really understand the point by doing it this way...
    it´s just a matter of intrest...but this felt kinda arrogant to me.
    That´s pretty strange man.

Oh, I come in peace. I just come in peace extra hard is all. It helps to make a splash or else this would have been boring.
    The 'insulting' portions were meant as a pranking or a razzing only, no hurt intended. 'Strange arrogance' pretty much sums it up. That used to be the norm. I don't know if that's changed recently.
    Don't some things make you say "Whoa!" ? Like when somebody tells you they've seen every episode of Grey's Anatomy.
    You don't mean it as an insult when you look at them like "REALLY???", you're just surprised and amused and a little dismayed, but you probably are still friends after that.

Originally Posted by diuqSehT
    Oh, I come in peace. I just come in peace extra hard is all. It helps to make a splash or else this would have been boring.
    The 'insulting' portions were meant as a pranking or a razzing only, no hurt intended. 'Strange arrogance' pretty much sums it up. That used to be the norm. I don't know if that's changed recently.
    Don't some things make you say "Whoa!" ? Like when somebody tells you they've seen every episode of Grey's Anatomy.
    You don't mean it as an insult when you look at them like "REALLY???", you're just surprised and amused and a little dismayed, but you probably are still friends after that.
    Aight, fine dude...sorry then.
    I can get kinda ironic myself I guess.
    Just felt like you´re kinda mad on the wrong end here... but yes, I can live with that.

Good evening sir.

Alright Squiddly Diddly! Aye, still ‘ere governor, playing, living, dying, resurrecting, you know the usual.

Hey there. I play the game since Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, been a fan of every game of the franchise since then. I was shocked when I saw the first images of Soul Reaver in EGM and it was 3d! Nice to see some old school fans here. About the lore in game, its fine the way it is, Nosgoth is just about multiplayer, let the solo games carry all the plot.

I'm a fan of LoK since the first game came out. I really enjoy this world, this characters.
    But Nosgoth (game) is something more like "filler" to me. I really like this game, but not bcz it is related to LoK. But bcz of it tense, tactics and battles. It's really a good game (nontheless it has some real problems as it appears now) even without LoK content.
    I'm still waiting for another game in LoK series, that'll comlete the story or show us some unexpected corners of it, but it's defenitly not the "Nosgoth".

It's been a while, The Squid. By the way, I used to post under the name of "Zulgbrtzchllha". A stupid name I pretty much thought up as a joke on H.P. Lovecraft's elder gods with their bizarre names, and really kind of regretted for years. I had my name changed to this when they moved over to this new board.
    I do enjoy Nosgoth, and I think that the people behind it genuinely want to stick with the lore, even if I have issues with some decisions they've made. It feels kind of weird without Amy Hennig, but then again, it's also kind of like how Soul Reaver lost a lot of people from the Blood Omen team. So I kind of feel like it's inbetween, like it's almost like fan fiction, but Cabuco being on board really helps. While I like seeing Legacy of Kain continue in some way, it's still not exactly the same, but it's not really the fault of the people behind this since it's beyond their control.
    In truth, I haven't played Nosgoth for a couple weeks. The Phantom Pain has been eating up most of my gaming time.