Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Gamescom Q&A

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,566

    Gamescom Q&A

    Hey all!

    Going to do my best to record a new podcast early next week. Thinking a chat with Brian about content shown at Gamescom would be fun. So, if you have any questions about either of the two demos we highlighted, feel free to post here! Also happy to answer questions related to how we chose which content to show, and when.

  2. #2
    Looking forward to it!

    In the Syria demo, is there an easter egg / dev reference in the jeep's license plate? It looks like PB34514?



    (I don't know whether or not the license plate is an accurate Syria license plate. If you do a Google image search for "syria license plate," the jeep's plate looks very much like the first result, but it seems that none of the other results use that same style, which is why I question it )
    Last edited by Relight-TRHQ; 13th Aug 2015 at 01:37. Reason: Spoiler tag
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,624
    Could you address the physics of Lara's hair during the intro cinematic of the Syria demonstration? Inside the Jeep, her hair moved as if she were underwater.

    Quote Originally Posted by Relight-TRHQ View Post
    In the Syria demo, is there an easter egg / dev reference in the jeep's license plate? It looks like PB34514?
    Why, because Uncharted 4 had an Easter egg on a Jeep's license plate?

    (click image to enlarge)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Why, because Uncharted 4 had an Easter egg on a Jeep's license plate?
    LOL I didn't even know! Since I don't own a PlayStation, I haven't followed Uncharted at all.

    Valenka reminded me, another question:

    - The transition of going underwater - both in the visual appearance of the underwater environment (it just looks like a color change), and also that Lara's recent dirt/blood isn't immediately affected by the water as you'd expect - might not be as realistic as fans would hope. Are details such as these still being worked on/improved/adjusted prior to launch?

    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Relight-TRHQ View Post
    - The transition of going underwater - both in the visual appearance of the underwater environment (it just looks like a color change), and also that Lara's recent dirt/blood isn't immediately affected by the water as you'd expect - might not be as realistic as fans would hope. Are details such as these still being worked on/improved/adjusted prior to launch?




    (click image to enlarge)[/spoiler]
    You do realise how unrealistic that would be. That's like being full of dirt from playing football, then jumping in the bath and out again, only to appear clean... LOGIC?! Dried blood and mud stains being vanished by stagnant water. Who needs a washing machine, aye? LOL

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mIcKyByRnE View Post
    You do realise how unrealistic that would be. That's like being full of dirt from playing football, then jumping in the bath and out again, only to appear clean... LOGIC?! Dried blood and mud stains being vanished by stagnant water. Who needs a washing machine, aye? LOL
    Cover your hand in flour, and then dip your hand into a sink full of water. A ton of that flour is going to immediately leave the surface of your hand and cloud the water. I don't expect dried blood or caked dirt to vanish from Lara instantly, which is why I said "recent dirt/blood." Right now when Lara goes down into the water, it doesn't look as realistic to me as I had hoped it would. There's probably a lot of different effects elements that could play a role in that, and part of my question was suggesting that the reaction of recent blood/dirt (on Lara's skin) is one of those elements. (After Lara leaves the water, the dirt/blood simply fades away - that's also not as realistic as I had hoped.) I don't think this thread was intended to be a lot of discussion, but I hope that helps explain what I was thinking. I'm not all critique - Crystal have added some amazing details in Lara's interaction with water. I love that Lara wrings out her hair, and her wet appearance after leaving the water.
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

  7. #7
    1. For the stealth/combat demo - Is it possible to play this section of the game non-lethally ( no killing ) ?

    2. Can lara hide the body of a bad guy after finishing him off ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    197
    1. Will we be able to turn off the button prompts?

    2. Will we be able to turn glowing objects off? (For example, whenever Lara walks past an object she can throw, it glows golden)

    3. What will be the differences between easy, normal and hard difficulty?

    4. Is listening to Laras Dad's notes something you do manually or does it happen automatically?
    Last edited by Kxtniss; 14th Aug 2015 at 11:11.
    signature image

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,770
    Firstly I think the trailers and gameplay were totally fantastic and I am so excited for the game, however...

    What do you believe graphical effects like lensflare, water drops and mud spatters add to the visual experience of the game? For some it completely breaks the immersion and is seen as almost "showboating" what the devs can do rather than adding to the experience. Is this something that could be turned off via a menu option or that CD would consider removing completely?
    signature image

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Relight-TRHQ View Post
    Looking forward to it!

    In the Syria demo, is there an easter egg / dev reference in the jeep's license plate? It looks like PB34514?



    (I don't know whether or not the license plate is an accurate Syria license plate. If you do a Google image search for "syria license plate," the jeep's plate looks very much like the first result, but it seems that none of the other results use that same style, which is why I question it )
    It's very hard to see, but the licence plate is logically Turkish.
    For starters, you can see the European Union blue country indicator at the left side [TR].

    It's not perfectly clear (and may not be the number) but 12 B 3451 would be a legitimate Turkish plate.
    Syrian plates look very different.

    Why a Turkish vehicle? Stands to reason, you can see by the longitude and latitude on her Sat Nav that she's right on the border with Turkey.

    The logical way to reach that location would be via the nearest international airport, in Eastern Turkey.
    On Xbox One as SofaJockey. 30 years of computer RPGs.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    What do you believe graphical effects like lensflare, water drops and mud spatters add to the visual experience of the game? For some it completely breaks the immersion and is seen as almost "showboating" what the devs can do rather than adding to the experience. Is this something that could be turned off via a menu option or that CD would consider removing completely?
    I think I remember someone asked Brian on Twitter if they could give us an option to turn that off and he said something like 'Nope, can't do that.'
    signature image

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Kxtniss View Post
    I think I remember someone asked Brian on Twitter if they could give us an option to turn that off and he said something like 'Nope, can't do that.'
    Thanks. I would rather they just took them out to be honest. I am not watching a home movie or documentary. I don't need my fourth wall broken!

    Ok, sometimes it works....but this wasn't an integral part of the game.

    Last edited by Tecstar70; 13th Aug 2015 at 09:16.
    signature image

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    - The Syria demo was very linear (not a complaint, just an observation), and with the collapsing tomb aspect, I'd assume there would be no way to travel back to the first room with that pillar after finishing that section, is that correct? Or was there a camp that was purposely missed?
    signature image

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    2,845
    My questions:

    • The Syria demo sequence, how much into the game does it take place?
    • At some point in Rise of the Tomb Raider, will the Underwater section be explorable in some broad capacity? And does it happen without linear sequences?
    • Can we expect to see classic movements like Swan Dive and Handstand in Rise of the Tomb Raider?
    • Will Lara be always talking to herself like this throughout the game (not that I am complaining)?
    Last edited by Shaikh; 13th Aug 2015 at 17:09.

  15. #15
    Someone else noticed this in the demo thread I think, so I thought I'd ask it:

    In the Syria demo, we see four times (I think) that Lara has unlimited ammo - including a combat section. Was that just a debug-type option for the demo? Or does Lara's pistol have unlimited ammo? At first I thought maybe unlimited ammo was activated only when it was required for a puzzle, but the combat part ruled that out.

    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,050
    ^ yes, is it like the old TRs?
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

  17. #17
    In the trailer a the end of the Gamescom gameplay reveal, there where a total of 15 tomb locations; are they all the tombs within the game or are there more?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    67
    Hey all, thanks for contributing your questions so far. Just a heads up I just posted some answers from our July forum Q&A that may give you some answers and/or encourage additional questions about the Gamescom content.

    Looking forward to reading and answering more of your questions in the podcast!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    197
    Questions so far means we can ask more, right?

    Can you tell us more about how many different environments we'll see in Syberia? Will it mainly be snowy forests?
    Last edited by Kxtniss; 15th Aug 2015 at 18:44.
    signature image

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom, West Midlands
    Posts
    1,821
    Will there be a collectors edition?

    In the gamescom demo Lara took down an enemy in the water, is there a way she can get caught being underwater?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    4,673
    It's been mentioned that Siberia is the main location. How come developers decided to focus on one location per game making TR similar to open world games? Is it too early to ask whether this trend will continue in future games?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,566
    Thanks all! Hoping to record tomorrow and have it edited and up early next week!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    197
    I think we all got used to 'early next week' being monday, I'm craving for answers
    signature image

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    87
    I'm so excited!
    signature image

  25. #25
    Great news about the podcast, hoping we can get news if the outfits we choose will be viewable in cinematics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •