Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theories? No! Just Sticky Toffee!

I think that Madsen was intentionally designed to be grating and dark in his personality to make people view him negatively. But right from the outset - back in episode one - I always thought that his heart was in the right place.
    My thoughts exactly. That and I've read/watched a lot of things about war so its easier for me to understand and be sympathetic to someone like David.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalXPredator View Post
    There are some making of of Life is Strange. I don't know if you mean these two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM5cLd-Zfw4 Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VZ9RQNlMHY Part 2
    I didn't see that so thanks. Bookmarked for later

When you consider the fact that some of the other main characters have not had regular 'air' time like Madsen has, ( I think he's been in every episode so far while others have not) it does indeed point toward his presence being heavily inclusive in episode five.
    signature image

Speaking of air time... Jefferson was present in all of the episodes, a reminder like "Hey, I'm here, don't forget me!" We know why now. But think about this: Victoria has been teased the same way, there was no other way but to interact with her. Which makes me think that the result of the choice whether she trusts Max about The Dark Room or not will also have a big impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tataboj View Post
    Speaking of air time... Jefferson was present in all of the episodes, a reminder like "Hey, I'm here, don't forget me!" We know why now. But think about this: Victoria has been teased the same way, there was no other way but to interact with her. Which makes me think that the result of the choice whether she trusts Max about The Dark Room or not will also have a big impact.

This is true. And regarding Victoria's fate, it may well depend on how Max interacted with her at the party. But given that quite a lot of time has now passed since "Dark Room" was released, it has given me lots of time to think about things in general. Right here and now, I don't think the climax of the series is going to be at all what everyone is expecting or anticipating.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post

This is true. And regarding Victoria's fate, it may well depend on how Max interacted with her at the party. But given that quite a lot of time has now passed since "Dark Room" was released, it has given me lots of time to think about things in general. Right here and now, I don't think the climax of the series is going to be at all what everyone is expecting or anticipating.
    Do go on...

Quote Originally Posted by LordBattleBeard View Post
    Do go on...
    I think I came across far too mysterious than what I intended to. It is nothing specific, nothing I can highlight and claim to be true or authentic - it is more an emotion, a feeling that I have about the game in general. It has been as much a learning curve for us as it has been for Max as we witnessed her growth as an young adult and the discovery of her latent power. And discovery is, and has been a very strong thread that has continually run through the entire game from the outset.

The discovery of her power; the rediscovery and rekindling of her friendship with a very changed Chloe Price. The discovery of the hidden truths of all the people around her at Blackwell; the portents which showed themselves as warnings for the future. The nostalgic elements of once belonging to something which resides firmly in the past and has been lost or neglected to the degree that not even yearning or desire can bring it back as it once was - it is passed and cannot be relived to make it seem more real and tangible - hence the rewind!!!? The inner dialogue we get to hear as Max battles with her own conscious whenever she needs to make a decision which she knows will have consequences, and in some cases dire ones, are all life lessons for Max to learn, to grow, and gain some wisdom from.

These discoveries are more a journey than an education, and that is the whole point - it is a journey that we are all being carried along on - willing passengers to watch as Max discovers her inner self. It would seem that Max has lived within an emotional cocoon for five years ever since leaving Arcadia Bay; only now is she coming out of her self imposed shell. The past is a scary place where all sorts of demons lurk silently in wait, waiting for you to finally discover that the past is dead, it is over and done with - only existing in the memory as a torment, a nostalgia.

For Max to grow stronger emotionally she needs to endure experiences that are outside of her emotional gamut and so expand it, to strengthen it. The events in Arcadia Bay are all designed to do this whether she realises it or not. And now we come down to it! What will be the final traumatic experience that Max will have to endure?

I will say no more simply because I do not want to. Draw your own conclusions, but like I said, the past is a scary and disturbing place that has no rightful place in the present - the here and now.
    Last edited by julietxjules; 28th Sep 2015 at 21:32.
    signature image

I think I came across far too mysterious than what I intended to. It is nothing specific, nothing I can highlight and claim to be true or authentic - it is more an emotion, a feeling that I have about the game in general. It has been as much a learning curve for us as it has been for Max as we witnessed her growth as an young adult and the discovery of her latent power. And discovery is, and has been a very strong thread that has continually run through the entire game from the outset.

The discovery of her power; the rediscovery and rekindling of her friendship with a very changed Chloe Price. The discovery of the hidden truths of all the people around her at Blackwell; the portents which showed themselves as warnings for the future. The nostalgic elements of once belonging to something which resides firmly in the past and has been lost or neglected to the degree that not even yearning or desire can bring it back as it once was - it is passed and cannot be relived to make it seem more real and tangible - hence the rewind!!!? The inner dialogue we get to hear as Max battles with her own conscious whenever she needs to make a decision which she knows will have consequences, and in some cases dire ones, are all life lessons for Max to learn, to grow, and gain some wisdom from.

These discoveries are more a journey than an education, and that is the whole point - it is a journey that we are all being carried along on - willing passengers to watch as Max discovers her inner self. It would seem that Max has lived within an emotional cocoon for five years ever since leaving Arcadia Bay; only know is she coming out of her self imposed shell. The past is a scary place where all sorts of demons lurk silently in wait, waiting for you to finally discover that the past is dead, it is over and done with - only existing in the memory as a torment, a nostalgia.

For Max to grow stronger emotionally she needs to endure experiences that are outside of her emotional gamut and so expand it, to strengthen it. The events in Arcadia Bay are all designed to do this whether she realises it or not. And now we come down to it! What will be the final traumatic experience that Max will have to endure?

I will say no more simply because I do not want to. Draw your own conclusions, but like I said, the past is a scary and disturbing place that has no rightful place in the present - the here and now.
    Tataboj's conclusion: The Past FTW!! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by Tataboj View Post
    Tataboj's conclusion: The Past FTW!! (sorry, I couldn't resist)
    I am not very good with abbreviations. . .what exactly do you mean by FTW???
    signature image

I am not very good with abbreviations. . .what exactly do you mean by FTW???
    That is an acronym that means, "For The Win."

Also, I'm impressed by that paragraph you wrote. Very spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_Forrester View Post
    That is an acronym that means, "For The Win."

Also, I'm impressed by that paragraph you wrote. Very spot-on.
    I wouldn't call that an acronym - it is pure abbreviation and therefore not a word, but thanks for telling me what it means because I was absolutely clueless!
    signature image

These discoveries are more a journey than an education, and that is the whole point - it is a journey that we are all being carried along on - willing passengers to watch as Max discovers her inner self. It would seem that Max has lived within an emotional cocoon for five years ever since leaving Arcadia Bay; only now is she coming out of her self imposed shell. The past is a scary place where all sorts of demons lurk silently in wait, waiting for you to finally discover that the past is dead, it is over and done with - only existing in the memory as a torment, a nostalgia.

Wow, love your summary of basically everything this game is. A deep understanding of the game coupled with an ability to put it into words. You could give those amateurs at IGN a run for their money!

With that said, as a person with nostalgia routed deeply in myself, that made for tough reading so excuse me while I proceed to put my fingers in my ears and shout loudly until I forget

I think what you're getting at, or if you're not, I just surmised from what you put.. Max is going to have to let go of the past and a big part of that is Chloe. Which actually makes a lot of sense.. though I wish it didn't.

I wouldn't call that an acronym - it is pure abbreviation and therefore not a word, but thanks for telling me what it means because I was absolutely clueless!
    Yeah, that's what I meant. It wasn't very deep anyway...

Wow, love your summary of basically everything this game is. A deep understanding of the game coupled with an ability to put it into words. You could give those amateurs at IGN a run for their money!

With that said, as a person with nostalgia routed deeply in myself, that made for tough reading so excuse me while I proceed to put my fingers in my ears and shout loudly until I forget

I think what you're getting at, or if you're not, I just surmised from what you put.. Max is going to have to let go of the past and a big part of that is Chloe. Which actually makes a lot of sense.. though I wish it didn't.
    Exactly my words.

Thanks. . .and I am glad that someone cares enough to leave thoughtful and considered comments like those that you have - it shows that you read me.

Reminiscing about the past is fine just so long as you know and understand where it belongs. We all have a past no matter how old we are; from the very young to the very old, we build and accumulate memories to protect the moment our memory has captured and etched into our consciousness from ever getting forgotten or lost - we regard them as being more than precious. That is why this game has resonated with so many people across all levels, it reminds everyone who plays it of the joys and sadness that life has to offer as we pass through it. Unfortunately, those memories of negativity such as hurt, pain, or loss and the like, are stored alongside the happier memories of times when innocence took precedence over experience. It is those memories - en masse, of our experiences in life that shape and define us into a quantifiable measurement when gauged against the emotional scale.

No one, no matter who they are can say they are without emotion. Some people can claim to be emotionally hardened, but it is emotion that has driven them to this state of mind in the first place - resulting in them living a denial that they are still capable to feel, or dare to feel. I see a bit of this condition in Chloe's character. When William died, a piece of Chloe died along with him simply because Chloe was so attached to him - she loved him dearly. The piece that died was the positive emotion of love, this was replaced with negativity - the principle of opposite attraction - which then developed into anger and remoulded Chloe into the young girl that Max caught up with when she returned to Arcadia Bay.

Chloe has only painful memories of loss which she carries inside of herself each and every day. Her memories of the past are all ghosts, phantoms which swirl about in her mind that constantly remind her of how things once were. She didn't only lose her father and her inner daughterly love; she also lost Max, too - her very best friend. Chloe's personality then devolved and a wilder, darker aspect of her psyche emerged which physically materialised itself into her punk persona. She then met Rachel Amber, a seemingly kindred spirit and, because she was so emotionally damaged, she latched onto Rachel like a leech needing some life giving blood. Chloe became overly attached to Rachel who filled the empty void in her soul. But suddenly, even Rachel vanished from her life leaving her feeling resolute in her belief that no one truly cares about her. This is a classic scenario of teenage angst and a good example of what it is that drives it forward.

Chloe is not to blame, she is victim of circumstances she had no control over. And is it not true that all of us can relate to this condition? Maybe not exactly as described above but, we all have had similar experiences as a teenager.

So the big question is whether or not Chloe can ever be truly happy again in her life. Max tried to remedy this by altering time but, we all know how that turned out and it wasn't good. In some ways death would be a blessing for Chloe because it would end her inner torment and lay her at rest, finally.

But no! Fate is conspiring to keep her alive for some reason only known to itself.
    There is no more!

That's all I want to say for now.

And once again. . .thanks for reading me.

JJ
    signature image

Words of wisdom. And I bow to your wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_Forrester View Post
    Words of wisdom. And I bow to your wisdom.
    Haha! Get up off your knees, I do not merit worship.
    signature image

Reminiscing about the past is fine just so long as you know and understand where it belongs. We all have a past no matter how old we are; from the very young to the very old, we build and accumulate memories to protect the moment our memory has captured and etched into our consciousness from ever getting forgotten or lost - we regard them as being more than precious. That is why this game has resonated with so many people across all levels, it reminds everyone who plays it of the joys and sadness that life has to offer as we pass through it. Unfortunately, those memories of negativity such as hurt, pain, or loss and the like, are stored alongside the happier memories of times when innocence took precedence over experience. It is those memories - en masse, of our experiences in life that shape and define us into a quantifiable measurement when gauged against the emotional scale.
    Indeed, what this game has done in that regard is simply incredible. It's broken from the straitjacket of thought in the games industry that for a game to succeed it has to be fast paced and action-packed in order for it to be exhilarating. It's exhilarating for the reasons you've described. I wasn't quite sure why it was I liked this game so much before. Its good to finally have a clear understanding of why it was, though sad because its also clearer to see that no other game I've yet discovered or looked into shares these same qualities.

No one, no matter who they are can say they are without emotion. Some people can claim to be emotionally hardened, but it is emotion that has driven them to this state of mind in the first place - resulting in them living a denial that they are still capable to feel, or dare to feel. I see a bit of this condition in Chloe's character. When William died, a piece of Chloe died along with him simply because Chloe was so attached to him - she loved him dearly. The piece that died was the positive emotion of love, this was replaced with negativity - the principle of opposite attraction - which then developed into anger and remoulded Chloe into the young girl that Max caught up with when she returned to Arcadia Bay.

Chloe has only painful memories of loss which she carries inside of herself each and every day. Her memories of the past are all ghosts, phantoms which swirl about in her mind that constantly remind her of how things once were. She didn't only lose her father and her inner daughterly love; she also lost Max, too - her very best friend. Chloe's personality then devolved and a wilder, darker aspect of her psyche emerged which physically materialised itself into her punk persona. She then met Rachel Amber, a seemingly kindred spirit and, because she was so emotionally damaged, she latched onto Rachel like a leech needing some life giving blood. Chloe became overly attached to Rachel who filled the empty void in her soul. But suddenly, even Rachel vanished from her life leaving her feeling resolute in her belief that no one truly cares about her. This is a classic scenario of teenage angst and a good example of what it is that drives it forward.
    I always thought it a bit strange how Chloe practically worshipped Rachel as though she was this flawless godlike person, though she was plainly the opposite of this. It makes sense when put like that.. though I would also add that some of us have this innate ability to remember and yearn for a past better than it actually ever was, so even if we were able to relive it, the end result would only be disappointment. I think Chloe fits into this category. So strangely, the thing Chloe wants most of all and thinks would make her happiest, would only serve to make her more miserable.

Chloe is not to blame, she is victim of circumstances she had no control over. And is it not true that all of us can relate to this condition? Maybe not exactly as described above but, we all have had similar experiences as a teenager.

So the big question is whether or not Chloe can ever be truly happy again in her life. Max tried to remedy this by altering time but, we all know how that turned out and it wasn't good. In some ways death would be a blessing for Chloe because it would end her inner torment and lay her at rest, finally.

But no! Fate is conspiring to keep her alive for some reason only known to itself.
    There is no more!

That's all I want to say for now.
    I think but mostly hope that Chloe can be happy again. Using the context you've given, I'd say this would only be feasible if she learnt to let go of the past, and the prerequisite for that would be understanding and acceptance of it, which in turn would require some form of closure with the Rachel Amber case. I've never much wanted Rachel Amber to be alive and much less now after discussing it further after which, I think both Chloe and Max are capable of forming new good memories together.

Thanks. . .and I am glad that someone cares enough to leave thoughtful and considered comments like those that you have - it shows that you read me.
    And once again. . .thanks for reading me.
    My pleasure
    Last edited by LordBattleBeard; 30th Sep 2015 at 10:14.

I always thought it a bit strange how Chloe practically worshipped Rachel as though she was this flawless godlike person, though she was plainly the opposite of this. It makes sense when put like that.. though I would also add that some of us have this innate ability to remember and yearn for a past better than it actually ever was, so even if we were able to relive it, the end result would only be disappointment. I think Chloe fits into this category. So strangely, the thing Chloe wants most of all and thinks would make her happiest, would only serve to make her more miserable.
    Yes. . .Rachel's whiter than white image is a fantasy, she too has flaws like everyone else. It seems that she explored the wilder side of life and it was that very thing that attracted Chloe to her. And maybe Chloe, if she got her wish to turn back the clock and relive the moments she feels are important to her would be disappointed in the sense that they wouldn't be exactly how she perceived them to be - but William, of course, would be an exception to this notion.
    signature image

It's like you can look into the future. Did you just seriously almost predict the ending of the game? Impressive, impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire87 View Post
    It's like you can look into the future. Did you just seriously almost predict the ending of the game? Impressive, impressive.
    I don't know about that; I was way off in places and hit the nail on the head in others. But as like all theories - they're not that reliable.

Thank you for your kind comment.
    signature image

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12