Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75

Thread: Inconsistencies in episode 4 *spoilers*

  1. #1

    Inconsistencies in episode 4 *spoilers*

    There was plenty of inconsistencies in previous episodes of ""Life is strange" and episode 4 of course is no different. So, let us begin.

    -Alternate Chloe and Max was walking on the shore, having their bitter-sweat conversation, and looking on the golden sunset... near the bunch of DEAD WHALES. It must be terrible stench there! "Oh, that golden hour... that smell of rotting fish"...

    -The fact that Chloe asked Maxine to kill her pretty much means that Maxine would go to prison for murder. And Chloe wasn't care. Like, at all.
    It can't be count as inconsistency though. She always was a selfish <censored>.

    -After failing of her attempt to save William Maxine decided not only turn everything back but even destroy the photo. Why do not try again? Why at the very least keep the photo to try again latter? True, the first time was a failure. But Maxine clearly have not any single reason to think that task is impossible. "I never liked William anyway... He can go and <censored> himself" or something like that?
    But, it can't be count as inconsistency as well. It suits Maxine character perfectly.

    -Code panel to the vault was rubbed enough to guess the code, but..why? That effect can be achieved only if tens of people use code panel every day... But in our case have three people at the most that hardly visit this bunker than once at the week. So, we must conclude that is impossible for panel to be in this state.

    -Owners of the bunker went through so much trouble to be sure that no one can enter that bunker without their approval, and yet, they do not give a damn about rubbed code panel.

    -Nathan have to write down code 3-digit code to the bunker (that was used very often). He have not only rage problems but also rather bad memory.

    -What on Rachel's photos made Chloe think that Rachel is dead? They not that different from Kate's photos!

    -Even if we assume that she looks like she is dead on the photos and we simply can not see it because of game artistic design, why Chloe and Maxine decided that Rachel was buried on exact same spot where photo was made? Clearly, burying a corpse and making a photo is very different tasks. It is only natural if they made in different locations. There is absolutely no cause-effect relation. Assumption that Rachel's body was buried on the same place with location that pictured on photo - is nothing more than baseless, stupid wild guess.

    -And yet, baseless, stupid wild guess turn out to be true. >_>

    -Maxine and Chloe managed to disentomb Rachel's body by their BARE HANDS (!)

    -A depth of Rachel's improvised grave was small enough for Chloe and Maxine to digg her up with their bare hands. That makes near impossible the fact that wild animal was not take some of Rachel's bones for a dinner. If dead body is so close to the surface, a stench of rotting body would be rather strong. The soil can even be flushed out by rain. With passage of time soil would bent.

    -No one can tell if that body was Rachel's and yet Chloe is completely sure about it. It is highly unnatural for anyone to believe in death of their loved ones without strong confirmation. You can trust me on this.

    -Chloe and Maxine went to junkyard to meet a person who, as they thought, have a gun and already killed someone. But, it can't be count as inconsistency either. Both of them seem pretty stupid to me.

    -Why they even bothered if Nathan hide Rachel's body or not? They planned to kill him and not go to the police. If they succeeded on this it would be better for them if Rachel's body would disappear forever.

    -How Jefferson managed to come to the junkyard prior to Maxine and Chloe or right after them? He can time travel to?

    If you think that i make a mistake and some of those inconsistencies can be solved - fell free to share.

    If found more inconsistencies - fell free to share on double)

    UPDATE:

    -If Chloe would kill Frank she would never ask Maxine to rewind or even ask Maxine why she wouldn't rewind. Despise her ostentatious remorse she seems to be actually completely okay with Frank's death.

    -And about Frank. To get Frank's keys in episode three we should take the keys and then rewind. After that Maxine would still have Frank's keys. This occasion could even be mentioned in conversation with Frank in episode four. And yet if we kill Frank and take his note, the note would magicly disappear if we try to rewind. This inconsistency pretty much destroys workings of the world of "Life is strange" and i see no way around it.

    -For Chloe and Maxine was unbelievably stupid NOT to watch Kate's viral video. I do not care how unpleasant it might be, they in a middle of investigation and this video - it is one of the most important clues so far.

    UPDATE2:

    - Nathan have to move his sofa every time when he needs to write a sms?

    - As we all know Nathan wanted so badly to hide his phone. And yet, he kept it together with a PUK code for it.

    - Frank moved his trailer to the beach. He, too, enjoys the smell of a rotten fish.

    - Prescott's bunker contains a lot of food. But have no toilet of any sort or bed.
    Last edited by Xeva-q; 18th Aug 2015 at 13:56.

  2. #2
    Not sure if its an inconsistency or I missed something. But David lost his job in my game and I either looked away at a wrong moment and somehow missed it but I dont recall that at all. Reading the emails that detail this made it feel like an oversight for people who chose to get David the blame at the end of ep2 as it wasnt really mentioning WHY he got suspended. I like most people blamed Nathan....so im not entirely sure why David would lose his job.

    Max also when talking to Frank....will claim to have tried to shoot him even if you didn't.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by PHub07 View Post
    Not sure if its an inconsistency or I missed something. But David lost his job in my game and I either looked away at a wrong moment and somehow missed it but I dont recall that at all. Reading the emails that detail this made it feel like an oversight for people who chose to get David the blame at the end of ep2 as it wasnt really mentioning WHY he got suspended. I like most people blamed Nathan....so im not entirely sure why David would lose his job.

    Max also when talking to Frank....will claim to have tried to shoot him even if you didn't.
    I blamed Jeff without knowing who he is! I was just scared of the other two that I had confronted before, so to blame Jeff was the "secure" option.

    About inconsistences, there are a couple of ones, yes. But it's a fun game, nonetheless.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by PHub07 View Post
    Max also when talking to Frank....will claim to have tried to shoot him even if you didn't.
    You pointed a gun at him but you didn't pull the trigger.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by RaulRoque View Post
    But it's a fun game, nonetheless.
    Why, of course it is. I can even say that it is <censored> hilarious.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    134
    -Alternate Chloe and Max was walking on the shore, having their bitter-sweat conversation, and looking on the golden sunset... near the bunch of DEAD WHALES. It must be terrible stench there! "Oh, that golden hour... that smell of rotting fish"...
    Made me laugh. I didn't even think of that. But umm maybe they had only recently came to shore?

    -The fact that Chloe asked Maxine to kill her pretty much means that Maxine would go to prison for murder. And Chloe wasn't care. Like, at all.
    It can't be count as inconsistency though. She always was a selfish <censored>.

    Not necessarily. With the right defence she could get the lesser charge of manslaughter
    Besides, the timeline was being erased. I like how it posed a real world dilemma but in a "without consequence" sort of way.
    I refused her request at first, not because of the legal or moral ramifications but because I didn't accept her reasoning. It seemed she wanted to die more for the reason of what it was doing to her parents and being a burden on them than because she was genuinely unhappy about her paralysis. But when I figured the timeline was ending afterwards, it seemed prudent to accept her request, so as to not have Chloe rot in a possible alt reality.

    -After failing of her attempt to save William Maxine decided not only turn everything back but even destroy the photo. Why do not try again? Why at the very least keep the photo to try again latter? True, the first time was a failure. But Maxine clearly have not any single reason to think that task is impossible. "I never liked William anyway... He can go and <censored> himself" or something like that?
    But, it can't be count as inconsistency as well. It suits Maxine character perfectly.

    I was happy that she destroyed it. The outcome was always going to be the same and I think destroying it was Max's way of symbolising that she had learned a lesson from it. If she had kept it, she'd always have nagging doubts over what might or could be if she just did something a little different. She would always be looking backwards.

    -Code panel to the vault was rubbed enough to guess the code, but..why? That effect can be achieved only if tens of people use code panel every day... But in our case have three people at the most that hardly visit this bunker than once at the week. So, we must conclude that is impossible for panel to be in this state.
    It wouldn't make sense but it's by design to help with game difficulty. I figured out the code but seems some people had more trouble and needed alternative routes.

    -Nathan have to write down code 3-digit code to the bunker (that was used very often). He have not only rage problems but also rather bad memory.
    He was on some pretty heavy medication. Can short-term memory loss count be a side affect?

    -Even if we assume that she looks like she is dead on the photos and we simply can not see it because of game artistic design, why Chloe and Maxine decided that Rachel was buried on exact same spot where photo was made? Clearly, burying a corpse and making a photo is very different tasks. It is only natural if they made in different locations. There is absolutely no cause-effect relation. Assumption that Rachel's body was buried on the same place with location that pictured on photo - is nothing more than baseless, stupid wild guess.
    Although I think she is dead, I think they could have done a better job in making that clear with the picture.
    As for how Chloe figured out where Rachel was buried. This was hers and Rachels hangout and where they spent a lot of time so its fair to assume she knew the ins and outs of it. The picture contained part of a distinctive sign so I figure this is how she knew where to look.

    -Maxine and Chloe managed to disentomb Rachel's body by their BARE HANDS (!)
    Proper burials have guidelines to follow like how deep in the ground the body has to be buried. This was a murder and disposal. Neither Nathan or Jefferson wanted to get their hands dirty and only dug a shallow hole enough to conceal?

    -A depth of Rachel's improvised grave was small enough for Chloe and Maxine to digg her up with their bare hands. That makes near impossible the fact that wild animal was not take some of Rachel's bones for a dinner. If dead body is so close to the surface, a stench of rotting body would be rather strong. The soil can even be flushed out by rain. With passage of time soil would bent.
    True. An oversight or Rachel was only killed a few days prior.

    -No one can tell if that body was Rachel's and yet Chloe is completely sure about it. It is highly unnatural for anyone to believe in death of their loved ones without strong confirmation. You can trust me on this.
    Given that the picture of a dead looking Rachel was taken in the same exact spot, its not much of a jump for Chloe to reach this conclusion. But since we never really saw for ourselves or anything more conclusive was said, it does however leave room for a plot change.

    -Chloe and Maxine went to junkyard to meet a person who, as they thought, have a gun and already killed someone. But, it can't be count as inconsistency either. Both of them seem pretty stupid to me.
    It's definitely in Chloes character to do something this irrational and stupid, but I was disappointed with Max at this stage.

    -Why they even bothered if Nathan hide Rachel's body or not? They planned to kill him and not go to the police. If they succeeded on this it would be better for them if Rachel's body would disappear forever.
    I don't think Chloe would want to leave her friend without a proper or dignified burial, less so never knowing her final resting place. By this stage, Chloe wasn't thinking rationally and was clearly consumed with rage. Max had less of an excuse and just made her character come across as naive.

    -How Jefferson managed to come to the junkyard prior to Maxine and Chloe or right after them? He can time travel to?
    They waited for the results of the every day hero contest before leaving. I believe Jefferson sent the text not knowing precisely what they knew but as a way to bate them into action, so as to follow them and find out. Jefferson appeared behind Max.

  7. #7
    Made me laugh. I didn't even think of that. But umm maybe they had only recently came to shore?
    Half a day would be more than enough.
    Besides, the timeline was being erased.
    But Chloe had no way to know that. And that means she was okay with Max going to prison, or, at the very least do not give a damn what consequences it might have to her.

    But as i say, this is not an inconsistency at all. It is not out of character for Chloe. She always was like that - when she put the blame for her joint on Maxine, for example. And, with all honesty, for real i think that that kind of person deserve nothing else than scorn and disgust.
    The outcome was always going to be the same
    Why? No, really, WHY?? There wasn't a single clue to make that conclusion. Not a single one. You have to try at least twice to form a pattern. And without any solid reason (or any reason) to think that that unfortunate outcome was inevitable we can drive only to one conclusion - Maxine just gave up.

    Or, if you think that i did overlook that reason, please, point it out to me.
    It wouldn't make sense but it's by design to help with game difficulty.
    Well, i think you right about that. But it looks soooooo stupid, i just can't stand it!..
    He was on some pretty heavy medication. Can short-term memory loss count be a side affect?
    Why, of course it can.
    As for how Chloe figured out where Rachel was buried. This was hers and Rachels hangout and where they spent a lot of time so its fair to assume she knew the ins and outs of it. The picture contained part of a distinctive sign so I figure this is how she knew where to look.
    Well, of course she easily could recognise the place, but it not what i meant. The very assumption that body was buried on exact same spot as it placed on the photo is highly unlikely. Why someone would think that?
    Proper burials have guidelines to follow like how deep in the ground the body has to be buried. This was a murder and disposal. Neither Nathan or Jefferson wanted to get their hands dirty and only dug a shallow hole enough to conceal?
    Yes. it is pretty much can be but it wasn't my point. It almost impossible to dig a hole in raw ground even as big as Maxine and Chloe was managed to dug. And specially on a junk yard. One's hand would be highly damaged after that.

    And i found some more inconsistencies . So more to come! ^__^
    Last edited by Xeva-q; 3rd Aug 2015 at 12:51.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tataboj View Post
    You pointed a gun at him but you didn't pull the trigger.
    she claims to have pulled it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    -After failing of her attempt to save William Maxine decided not only turn everything back but even destroy the photo. Why do not try again? Why at the very least keep the photo to try again latter? True, the first time was a failure. But Maxine clearly have not any single reason to think that task is impossible. "I never liked William anyway... He can go and <censored> himself" or something like that?

    Because retrying would have been insane. No, seriously. Max may not be an Einstein, but I'm pretty sure she heard of his saying:

    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    signature image

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by meimeiriver View Post
    Because retrying would have been insane.
    WHY? Can anyone give me a straight answer?
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    And what makes you think i suggesting her to do exactly a same thing?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    And what makes you think i suggesting her to do exactly a same thing?
    Different methods, per chance, but essentially trying to accomplish the same thing: trying to save Wlliam. Max understood, the first time around, that attempting so would be futile.
    signature image

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by meimeiriver View Post
    Max understood, the first time around, that attempting so would be futile.
    WHY?

    If you do not have this reason, you do not have the case.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    WHY?

    If you do not have this reason, you do not have the case.
    For starters, it's pretty common theme in time-travel stories that 'fated' events will always happen, one way or the other. So, if the universe has a horrible accident on the agenda, someone *will* suffer: if not Chloe's father, then Chloe herself. Max realized that.


    Also, I suggest you watch Star Trek Voyager's double-episode, 'The Year of Hell.' It explains very well how there are simply waay too many permutations (the butterfly effect) to try and correct something the way Max tried: removing element X of history from the equation in hopes of result Y. It simply can't be done: remove one element here, and you'll inevitably have not taking something else vital into account.


    Mind you, performing 'reconstructive surgery' on time, the way Max tried, is an order of magnitude more complex than doing a just quick rewind when you said or did the wrong thing.
    signature image

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by meimeiriver View Post
    For starters, it's pretty common theme in time-travel stories that 'fated' events will always happen, one way or the other.
    No! You can't say that! For example, there is a game called "Ghost trick". Main theme of the game - time travel. With main message: the fate can be defeated. What exactly can it say about "Life is strange"? Well, what a shocker - NOTHING.

    You can't prove something about "life is strange" using "Star trek". Simply because i can prove the exact opposite using "Ghost trick".
    Max realized that.
    Exactly how? Without Star Trek? Pretty please?

    If you do not have this answer, you do not have the case.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    If you do not have this answer, you do not have the case.
    Oh, I have a hella good case. What I don't have, however, is the will to accommodate you endlessly.
    signature image

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by meimeiriver View Post
    Oh, I have a hella good case. What I don't have, however, is the will to accommodate you endlessly.
    Suits perfectly for me, you know.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    No! You can't say that! For example, there is a game called "Ghost trick". Main theme of the game - time travel. With main message: the fate can be defeated. What exactly can it say about "Life is strange". Well, what a shocker - NOTHING.

    You can't prove something about "life is strange" using "Star trek". Simply because i can prove the exact opposite using "Ghost trick".

    Exactly how? Without Star Trek? Pretty please?

    If you do not have this answer, you do not have the case.
    One of the underlying themes of Life is Strange is that every action has a consequence (whether it be good or bad).

    For example, we don't know exactly WHAT would happen if Max tried to save William's life again. Something good could've came out of it, or something terrible. We cannot know exactly all of the possibilities that one action (saving William's life) could cause for the future. Max already saw one timeline in which she saved William and it ended up being one of the worst alternatives. That probably was enough for her to not try again.

    You can argue that she could keep trying until she found one that was either desirable or at least one that is more desirable than any of the other alternatives. Plus, Max has already shown that the more she uses her power; the more it takes a toll on her.

    Simply, we all don't think like Max. We all have different opinions on what Max should've done. Let's all agree to disagree okay?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    WHY? Can anyone give me a straight answer?

    And what makes you think i suggesting her to do exactly a same thing?
    To use the same photo would cause the same events to unfold because Max has no control over the events that happen once she alters Williams fate. At this point, she is brought back into the present day, and only then are the consequences clear. She can't stay until Chloes 16th birthday to stop her from getting in the car because she has already altered the timeline with William prior to that. What is the alternative action which Max can take that stops William from getting in the car but prevents him giving Chloe a car for her birthday?

  19. #19
    She could end up in a timeline with worse consequences and without the possibility of coming back (the photo could be lost or destroyed in that timeline)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangerThanFiction View Post
    One of the underlying themes of Life is Strange is that every action has a consequence (whether it be good or bad).

    For example, we don't know exactly WHAT would happen if Max tried to save William's life again. Something good could've came out of it, or something terrible. We cannot know exactly all of the possibilities that one action (saving William's life) could cause for the future. Max already saw one timeline in which she saved William and it ended up being one of the worst alternatives. That probably was enough for her to not try again.
    And that was exactly my point with 'The Year of Hell' example: that trying to perform 'reconstructive surgery' on time is of an entirely different order of magnitude than just doing a smal rewind; and that such an attempt is, basically, mathemathically undoable, considering the amount of variables, and the almost infinite amount of resulting permutations that such an attempt would yield.

    Plus, like you say, Max does not have an 'endless' reservoir of tries at her disposal. She tried *once*, and then simply realized the futility of such an endeavour, and decided a different approach was needed.
    signature image

  21. #21
    an she realize that power have limitation. nose bleeding. its blood presure or worse. and she observe it serious. not like Chloe.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by UveProblematique View Post
    She could end up in a timeline with worse consequences and without the possibility of coming back (the photo could be lost or destroyed in that timeline)
    Good point! Max even mentioned to Chloe (Ep. 1) that she must be careful not to wind up getting stuck in time.
    signature image

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBattleBeard View Post
    What is the alternative action which Max can take that stops William from getting in the car but prevents him giving Chloe a car for her birthday?
    Prior she managed to convince Chloe that she can do some time travel. Why not to try to do exactly same thing one more time? She could simply predict some events that would occur in Chloe and William future and give them a warning about crashed car. And that would be enough. Why not to try?
    Good point! Max even mentioned to Chloe (Ep. 1) that she must be careful not to wind up getting stuck in time.
    So, you should save someone's life only if it's completely safe? That's weak.

    And yet again, she could do some preparations for avoiding situation like that.
    That probably was enough for her to not try again.
    And i completely agree with that. It only brings very sad conclusion about her personality.
    And that was exactly my point with 'The Year of Hell' example
    And could you remember the very last episode of "Star Trek Voyager" named "Endgame"? Where Admiral Janeway devises a plan to alter history, when she travelled through time, and actually succeeded? Where she managed to change time exactly how she wanted?

    And, for example, the "Timeless" episode?

    See, the very same show, saying exactly my point.
    Last edited by Xeva-q; 11th Aug 2015 at 19:03.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    Prior she managed to convince Chloe that she can do some time travel. Why not to try to do exactly same thing one more time? She could simply predict some events that would occur in Chloe and William future and give them a warning about crashed car. And that would be enough. Why not try it?
    That could work. Or they could freak out and turn her into some science lab. Worse case senario is that she completely changes the course of the future, and some consequences could be worse than the original.

    You can really argue both sides for this. And you guys have great points. However, it all depends on the narrative that the developers want to create. They seem to follow the cliche about fated events. Either way, something like this can generate good discussion and debate. No one's wrong in this case. It's opinion based on fictional events in a fictional universe. Probably what Dontod wanted to do in the first place. Isn't it great how a video game about time traveling generate such great debate topics?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    -After failing of her attempt to save William Maxine decided not only turn everything back but even destroy the photo. Why do not try again? Why at the very least keep the photo to try again latter? True, the first time was a failure. But Maxine clearly have not any single reason to think that task is impossible. "I never liked William anyway... He can go and <censored> himself" or something like that?
    But, it can't be count as inconsistency as well. It suits Maxine character perfectly.
    Try again later? For all she knew, it wouldn't be possible to come back the next time. For all she knew she could end up changing the timeline and get herself killed. She learned that the outcome was and will always be something completely out of her hands, she felt the overwhelming realization. Not everything has to be said to be understood. This is one of these things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    -No one can tell if that body was Rachel's and yet Chloe is completely sure about it. It is highly unnatural for anyone to believe in death of their loved ones without strong confirmation. You can trust me on this.
    I say it was censored. If Rachel isn't actually that body, then I'm wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    -Chloe and Maxine went to junkyard to meet a person who, as they thought, have a gun and already killed someone. But, it can't be count as inconsistency either. Both of them seem pretty stupid to me.
    Em, and what would be your great plan? They were already in danger, and the police could be against them (something I wouldn't be eager to find out in their position, they would be risking a lot). Not only that but, their enemy clearly knew who they were, and where to find them, even if they didn't go to the junkyard. Besides, Chloe was shaken, rightfully so, and with a gun, how do you expect Max to stop her? The best she can do is go with her so she can be by her side the moment something happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    -Why they even bothered if Nathan hide Rachel's body or not? They planned to kill him and not go to the police. If they succeeded on this it would be better for them if Rachel's body would disappear forever.
    Eh, yes, why would Chloe care about Rachel's body?
    Planned to kill him? No way Max would want that, she needed to do something but she most likely didn't know what. Just what the moment required of her. And try to do her best in doing the right choices. As for why she decided to go with Chloe to "kill him", it's completely obvious. To avoid it, and everything wrong that might happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •