Thread: Siding with David

Siding with David

I sided with David and shocked at the number of people who chose Chloe so out of hand in all the playthroughs I watched afterwards.

There's a valid argument for both but I feel siding with Chloe was the short-termist and instant gratification option of the two. Chloe is happy to see the back of him, but what for Joyce's happiness? When Joyce is alone again, will Chloe be happy then? David makes Joyce happy however bad he is at expressing it. Chloe will always hate because he's not William.

Granted some of his actions are pretty questionable but the motives behind his actions are not and his heart is in the right place. Nothing about him is malicious. He cares for Joyce and Chloe; a lot of the little anecdotes about the house will tell you that.

I took note of the depression tablets in the bathroom drawer. I suspect he is still dealing with the aftermath of his military service. It doesn't excuse his behaviour though does explain it.

It's also easy to forget that without his paranoid behaviour, the tracking coordinates he collected wouldn't have been there to help with finding Nathan.

Indeed, most of his paranoid behaviour was right even if not handled with grace. There were drugs at the Vortex Club Party (though Kate wasn't supplying them -- sorry Kate). Chloes friend Rachel introduced her to drugs and was hanging with a drug dealer. He was right about Jefferson being dodgy as fudge. He tells you and Chloe to stay out of it because its his job and wants you out of harms way (Note the knife in the garage with the engraved message likening him to an angel. He sees it as his role to protect others).

Bit of a pain because I thought Chloe and Max made a better pairing than her and Warran, but if that means agreeing with every stupid thing Chloe does and destroying her family to get there, Max is destined to be alone.
    Last edited by LordBattleBeard; 1st Aug 2015 at 12:02.

I also sided with David. I respected him from the start and after all,
    Chloe was wrong about David. If you've took a good look at his files you'd notice. Guess a lot of players were blinded by Chloe's ignorance. Of course, after ep4's ending now everybody opens their eyes. It's almost funny. I hope Dontnod makes it so that David won't come to find Max in time because of him kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvare View Post
    I also sided with David. I respected him from the start and after all,
    Chloe was wrong about David. If you've took a good look at his files you'd notice. Guess a lot of players were blinded by Chloe's ignorance. Of course, after ep4's ending now everybody opens their eyes. It's almost funny. I hope Dontnod makes it so that David won't come to find Max in time because of him kicked out.
    I'm not alone
    As for the files, you mean the reference to Jefferson?
    It would be cool if David came to Max's aid

Way back in February when it all started I wrote my thoughts on episode one, and under David Madsen's section I said similar things about him. You can read it here if you like.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if David Madsen has a pivotal role to play in the finale either.
    signature image

Yeah, I hope Max gets the chance to call Frank or David for help. But I'm afraid all her belongings get taken away and that she's tied up. Dunno, seems unlikely, but maybe we're all wrong about Jefferson's intentions, even if he killed Chloe in cold blood. We'll have to hear him out. I suspect he's still 100% evil right now.

Frankly, I still don't trust him. There's something strange about him, although I agree that he tries to protect Chloe.

Quote Originally Posted by s-jay2676 View Post
    Frankly, I still don't trust him. There's something strange about him, although I agree that he tries to protect Chloe.
    What's strange about David? He's trying to protect Chloe as if it's his own daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvare View Post
    What's strange about David? He's trying to protect Chloe as if it's his own daughter.
    Well, there's still the message "David M. helps me folllow those he follows" or something like that. I can't quite remember. Whom does he follow, I wonder. I sounds like some sort of a cult or something. I also think, that he knows more than he admits. He might know that Rachel is dead and maybe that's the reason he tries to keep Chloe away from Blackwell students. And in the first episode there is his message on the answering machine and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he tell Chloe to stay away from the junkyard? I admit, that's a pretty weak connection, though.

Hm some pretty good points there. Some questions might be left unanswered.

Wait, what? I don't understand how anyone can side with David. He put surveillance cameras inside his own house to spy on his wife and step-daughter. That is unforgivable. How would you feel if your partner or step-parent did that to you? Could you ever trust them again?

Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    Way back in February when it all started I wrote my thoughts on episode one, and under David Madsen's section I said similar things about him. You can read it here if you like.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if David Madsen has a pivotal role to play in the finale either.
    detailed and some good early observations. right on quite a few too

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadpersephone View Post
    Wait, what? I don't understand how anyone can side with David. He put surveillance cameras inside his own house to spy on his wife and step-daughter. That is unforgivable. How would you feel if your partner or step-parent did that to you? Could you ever trust them again?
    The question of whether that was right or acceptable behaviour is not disputed; it was not, period. But the world isn't black and white. What he did in that instance was wrong but what were his motives for doing so? were they malicious? I suspect his paranoia led to the surveillance, not to spy on, but to protect his family. Much like his wish for surveillance at blackwell. In both cases he was looking to protect people. Could I forgive someone for this? yes because I could see that the motives were good even if the ends were not.
    Last edited by LordBattleBeard; 1st Aug 2015 at 17:48.

You have to look at David from his perspective. He knows a lot about the bad stuff in the world. He wants to make sure everyone is save. In his spare time, he works on his car. But more importantly, he collects proof on Blackwell's school, because he knows there's something ominous going on there.. (Maybe that's one of the reasons he forgot to close the door to the roof.) Just when he had enough surveillance, someone signed a petition to take off the cameras. Because he was in war before, he's a bit paranoid and he's taking medication for that. I can imagine him thinking:

-Why does Chloe always feel the need to blast that music that high on volume? Can't it be less louder? Can't even hear her responding to me! Got to go upstairs to talk to hear about it.

-Chloe shouldn't smoke weed. It's bad for her health.. got to stop her from doing that.

-Max keep showing up everywhere I go.. and then something bad happens. She doesn't seem to like me and I have the feeling she's there to manipulate Chloe and ruin my family.

But what's wrong with that? He's protecting his family.
    People aren't perfect. Chloe sure as hell isn't either. She got mad before at Max for taking that phone call with Kate. For which she apologized later in ep4. She had no idea Kate was going through that. Chloe is selfish sometimes. Like when she scared Max after the day Kate jumped.
    Last edited by Alvare; 1st Aug 2015 at 18:57.

If you side with David and didn't tell him off at the Principal's office, there's a little HAWP reference when you go get his files in the locker in Ep. 4, I take that as a sign that you did the right thing xDD
    I think the dude's got a stick up his butt, but his heart is probably in the right place (there's even the little notes he writes for Joyce, he's not that bad), he is a little paranoid (remember: combat will do that to you xD) and because of that he ends up approaching things the wrong way, but I'm not 100% convinced yet, we'll see.

he is a little paranoid (remember: combat will do that to you xD)
    Rofl. That face he makes when saying that. xD

Well, i do not understand why it is even an option! Of course David. How can anyone choose that <censored> blue-haired <censored> over him?

I also sided with David. I didn't like him but I tried to side with Chloe first and - who am I to disrupt a family? Plus I was feeling sorry for David. He doesn't deserve that.

I had a hard time disappointing Chloe like that, but I really enjoyed the scene from choosing to side with him. His sadness in the option of kicking him out vs. how happy he is in the other option. I still thought it was SUPER amusing that he was the Bus Driver in the alternate World.

Quote Originally Posted by OHWceta View Post
    I had a hard time disappointing Chloe like that, but I really enjoyed the scene from choosing to side with him. His sadness in the option of kicking him out vs. how happy he is in the other option. I still thought it was SUPER amusing that he was the Bus Driver in the alternate World.
    Indeed, it definitely wasn't easy.. but doing what is right hardly ever is. Maybe we will be rewarded with the good ending whereas those who confused friendship with worship will not. I doubt it.. but you never know

It seems like I never took Chloe's side.....she always seemed to be in the wrong (haha). It got to the point that towards the end of Episode 3 when she was crying in the truck and had the "screw the world" attitude I was worried that she was gonna hurt herself or something.

I will def be siding with David when the confrontation happens in the house, in my current playthrough. . I have a new appreciation of him knowing what I now know. It will be interesting to see if it has any effect in the last episode.

Chloe can be quite selfish and a bit of a butt.... A lot of her reactions satisfy the "I want good things now" desire but are they really the best option in the long run?

David can be an ass but it looks like Chloe never really gives him any chances at all.

I mean, I like Chloe but DontNod did fantastic at showing her flaws and making her seem human.

I know David is trying to take care of her, but he's the step-father, he should realize Chloe's feelings and try to make things better in the family. Chloe has every right to feel how she feels, she lost her father too soon. Joyce and David should be more supportive, patient and be there for her, and she should too. Secrets in a family, that never works.
    Anyways, friends are supposed to show you what you don't see about yourself and others, right?

I felt terrible siding with Chloe against David because while David is an ass and is going about his investigation totally the wrong way, I had already snapped the picture of him and blamed Kate's suicide attempt on him so I needed to keep my story straight. I understand Chloe's circumstances but she does push a lot of buttons helping to add to the whirlwind of mess that is her family.