Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Problems with disabled Chloe.

  1. #1

    Problems with disabled Chloe.

    Am I the only one who found disabled Chloe disturbing?
    Why would she be so different, why would she not dye her hair, or see bands or whatever? Yeah the financial issues were valid, but life really doesn't stop because you're in a wheelchair. That was the most disappointing thing in the game so far for me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81
    She can't dye her hair, she'd need someone to dye and maintain it for her and it's a bit of a silly thing to ask for when you spend most of the day in bed high on painkillers. As for bands, she still listen to it, and Max makes a comment about Chloe still being a punk rocker at heart, but concerts are for people who dance to music.

  3. #3
    Hmmm I have a friend with a similar level of disability who dyes her hair and has a social life, including being married for years. She's taught me a lot about how damaging perceptions can be, that your life becomes worthless in the eyes of so many. It was interesting to see so many people decide to kill Chloe, tho the long wait with nothing happening may have meant they didn't realise it was a choice.
    Not everyone who goes to see bands dances, it's more than that. There have always been disabled punks, it's always been about outsiders.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by BinnieBob View Post
    Am I the only one who found disabled Chloe disturbing?
    Why would she be so different, why would she not dye her hair, or see bands or whatever? Yeah the financial issues were valid, but life really doesn't stop because you're in a wheelchair. That was the most disappointing thing in the game so far for me.
    Chloe only went 'rebel' as a direct result of the anger over losing her dad, rejecting step d o u c h e, and resenting Joyce over having brought him into the family. In this timeline, however, she still has William, and all the love between them. Wheelchair Chloe was actually the way she was meant to grow up: with 2 loving parents (sans the wheelchair, of course).

    The only thing 'off' about wheelchair Chloe, is that they slightly overdid her paralysis in Ep. 3. The 2 head-holders, to the side of her head, on her wheelchair, suggested she couldn't even hold her head up without support. Yet turned out she could move her head just fine.
    signature image

  5. #5
    Yes, there is that, but it kind of felt like a missed opportunity to me. She said she always wanted blue hair, like Pris. I couldn't work out how she moved the wheelchair lol.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by BinnieBob View Post
    Yes, there is that, but it kind of felt like a missed opportunity to me. She said she always wanted blue hair, like Pris. I couldn't work out how she moved the wheelchair lol.
    Yes, she did say that. Wonder why she didn't go thru with it.
    signature image

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    "We’re meant to pity Chloe, and disabled people being the object of pity or being the victim of a tragedy is incredibly common."

    Geez, that article is totally trying to see things that aren't there, at all. Of course Max is horrified about seeing what she had done to Chloe! We're not meant to pity Chloe here, but Max!
    signature image

  9. #9
    Chloe wants to die, that's definitely there. As well as the idea that being dead is better than being disabled. The article doesn't discuss anything that isn't there, tho different interpretations are always possible. There's been a lot of discussion on that topic in the UK, so maybe on my mind too much.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by BinnieBob View Post
    Chloe wants to die, that's definitely there. As well as the idea that being dead is better than being disabled. The article doesn't discuss anything that isn't there, tho different interpretations are always possible. There's been a lot of discussion on that topic in the UK, so maybe on my mind too much.
    I see where you're coming from with this. But I honestly believe the article is working from an inherently unreasonable position. Because, if we say they're right, then that basically amounts to having to be in total denial about Chloe's plight. It would boil down to pretending the life of a quadriplegic young women, who can't even breathe on her own, with failing lungs, is of the same quality as if she had not been disabled. Yet the article sets it up as 'disabled people being the object of pity' being a bad thing on our end. That's an untenable stance: nobody is saying disabled people, in general, ought to be pitied. But to go ahead and turn this around, and say we should therefore pretend Chloe's life is all hunky-dory, that's silly. Chloe's life has, effectively, already ended: if her lungs won't fail her today, she'll suffer an even more painful death tomorrow. And there's no shame in being horrified over having caused all that.
    signature image

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    64
    She's not giving up because of her disability, but because she's getting worse, her respiratory system is deteriorating and she uses morphine to ease her pain. Plus, her parents are trying really hard, monetarily, to overcome the situation.

    I think she was already vulnerable when she met Max and recalling her past only made things worst. She was actually impulsive telling Max to overdose her medication. There's the possibility of the event to be recent, so it takes plenty of time to adapt to the new way of living.

  12. #12
    The life of a quadriplegic is of a different quality, it is not worthless. Chloe has overheard doctors conversations, even if they told her directly, they don't have crystal balls, many people alive and aging who were told they wouldn't survive childhood. Impulsive suicide attempts are something that worry many people, on a bad day you want to end it. Euthanasia is something which really needs to be thought about, tho there is the implication it has been discussed with her parents in the past.
    My own feeling, a real friend would be there, enjoying life with you, however much you have left of it, or at least try that first.
    I don't know why they went down that path, why it couldn't be another dead Chloe, conversations with William and Joyce. Or else been clearer, more thought out, less open to negative interpretation.
    It actually really spoilt the whole episode for me. Really didn't enjoy it much. It's stayed with me because it references people I know.

  13. #13
    I get what the author of the linked article is saying, and I think his points are good ones, but I don't necessarily agree with all of his criticisms. What he says is true - disabled people are far too often portrayed in entertainment as helpless, a burden on others, and objects of pity - but within the context of Life Is Strange, what has happened to Chloe is tragic, indirectly the result of Max's meddling with time. It would be callous of Max to disregard all of the differences between timelines, though perhaps Chloe's loneliness and isolation was exaggerated a bit much (she doesn't have any friends at all, really?). While Alt-Chloe's condition is indeed a financial and emotional burden on her family, her parents love her and would do anything for her. It seemed more that criticism was directed at the government and insurance companies' failure to support people with such disabilities. And as to the lack of agency that Alt-Chloe experiences, I would argue that her asking Max to end her life is asserting her agency, or at least, as much as she is able. She knows she's going to die anyway, so she's making the conscious decision to do it on her own terms, in a time of her own choosing. Yes, it is in part to release her family from their responsibilities to take care of her, and there is likely no small amount of depression and desire to be free of pain behind that decision, but it's something.

    All that being said, I found myself wishing things weren't so bad for the Prices financially, because I could see Max and Chloe continuing to have a great friendship and life in the Alt-timeline. I wished that Warren had gotten Max into roleplaying games; Alt-Chloe would probably really dig them. Frankly, I liked Alt-Chloe as a person far better than the original able-bodied Chloe. If only there was some way to get her personality into the blue-haired body...

    As for Nathan's mental illness, I found that more worrying, as people with psychological disabilities are constantly vilified in media. I agree that it was probably enough that he was just a spoiled rich kid for the purposes of the story, but at the same time, one of the common themes I've seen and appreciated in Life Is Strange is that of compassion, even for people who at first blush seem like villains. Max is witness to Principal Wells' impotence in the face of the Prescotts' influence, but we also learn he has a drinking problem, perhaps as a result of guilt. We see moments where Victoria drops her "popular girl" bullying persona and expresses genuine remorse for the things she's done. Even David seems to be beaten down by his failures as much as he rages against the world. I expect that Nathan, for all of his utterly despicable and hateful deeds, will turn out to be a multi-layered human being.

    I would find it refreshing if we were to discover that Nathan is a colossal jerk who just happens to have a mental illness. I don't know exactly how to write such a scene, but hopefully Dontnod can figure out a way to show us that Nathan's mental illness isn't actually responsible for his bad behavior, but is in fact somewhat incidental to it.

    Perhaps Dontnod's next game could feature a disabled protagonist as the character you play? That would be awesome.
    Last edited by mysterycycle; 1st Aug 2015 at 17:25.

  14. #14
    I still love the game but I do have some misgivings about this storyline.

    I didn't see Chloe's disability as a punishment but the person who wrote the article describes themselves as disabled and as an able-bodied person I don't feel that I have the right to contradict or dismiss their viewpoint as some people have done here.

    I love mysterycycle's idea of a disabled protagonist. Many games very much focus on physical strength and agility so it would be an interesting challenge to have a physically disabled protagonist and come up with realistic ways of navigating the game environment.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Hey Xeva-q, I don't mind you sharing your opinions, as harsh as they may be, but you'll have to do it in a more civil manner. I don't want any forum fights to break out here. Also, do not circumvent the forum auto-censor; it's against the ToU.

    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/ann...?a=1&f=1#rule3

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by BinnieBob View Post
    The life of a quadriplegic is of a different quality, it is not worthless. Chloe has overheard doctors conversations, even if they told her directly, they don't have crystal balls, many people alive and aging who were told they wouldn't survive childhood. Impulsive suicide attempts are something that worry many people, on a bad day you want to end it. Euthanasia is something which really needs to be thought about, tho there is the implication it has been discussed with her parents in the past.
    My own feeling, a real friend would be there, enjoying life with you, however much you have left of it, or at least try that first.
    I don't know why they went down that path, why it couldn't be another dead Chloe, conversations with William and Joyce. Or else been clearer, more thought out, less open to negative interpretation.
    It actually really spoilt the whole episode for me. Really didn't enjoy it much. It's stayed with me because it references people I know.
    I see what your point is, but you are overlooking the fact that in real life some people are fighters and some or not. While your friends with disabilities might fight with all their strength to live a life as normal as possible, there are others for which such a condition would be impossible to come to terms with. They become depressed,isolate themselves willingly from the outside world and ultimately consider suicide. I do believe Max has no right to honor Chloe's request, but you can't blame Chloe for asking it. In her opinion death is better for her and her family. Of course the game makers could have portrayed a fighting, optimistic Chloe, but to be honest I don't think that would have fit with her personality. Chloe is a very vulnerable person,prone to making harsh decisions, despite her tough bad-girl facade. She has nowhere near the strength Max does. You can see from the way she coped with her father's death that she is not the type of person that can come to terms with tragedies and move on with her life. I believe they went in this direction with the game not because they believe disabled people are to be pitied, but because it fits Chloe's personality and the way she reacts to the world around her.
    Last edited by Jesodoth; 2nd Aug 2015 at 10:32.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    204
    Hello, I've gone ahead and removed Xeva-q's posts. As Driber has already mentioned, please be wary of how you share your opinions on these boards.

    Due to a number of people reporting these posts, I felt it was necessary to remove them. Any further reports may result in your posting privileges being removed.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by BinnieBob View Post
    Am I the only one who found disabled Chloe disturbing?
    Why would she be so different, why would she not dye her hair, or see bands or whatever? Yeah the financial issues were valid, but life really doesn't stop because you're in a wheelchair. That was the most disappointing thing in the game so far for me.
    Definitely found it disturbing, It was an uncomfortable change to what we were used to seeing. I really do hope that some how Chloe is still alive after the ending of Episode 4. I was speechless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •