Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did Dontnod go too far?! [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by mysterycycle View Post
    Show some basic decency, Xeva-q. It's not a joke.
    You guys make it looks like exactly as one.

with the psycho killer stuff i don't think they went too far, but killing Chloe, the second most important character in this game, within the last two seconds as if it was nothing, THAT's where they went too far in my opinion.

yeah maybe there is a possibility to go back saving her with another polaroid, but that's not guaranteed.

i loved the whole episode but turned away in disgust about that creative decision in the end and am not sure if i want to continue playing episode 5 after this.

Hey Xeva-q, if you're going to be purposely antagonistic towards fellow forum members, you're not going to remain one yourself for long. Please tone it down.

Regarding the rape topic, I'd advice everyone to keep in mind that opinions on rape are naturally going to differ from person to person. What may make sense to one person, may not make sense to another. We'd all do best to discuss different views in a respectful and tolerant way towards other members. No one is "right" or "wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Hey Xeva-q, if you're going to be purposely antagonistic towards fellow forum members, you're not going to remain one yourself for long. Please tone it down.

Regarding the rape topic, I'd advice everyone to keep in mind that opinions on rape are naturally going to differ from person to person. What may make sense to one person, may not make sense to another. We'd all do best to discuss different views in a respectful and tolerant way towards other members. No one is "right" or "wrong"
    There was no any purpose, honest. It is cleary not my fault that everyone is wrong and i am right.

So, please, do as you see fit. It is your forum, after all.

The forum is for everyone to enjoy. Back to the topic.

It has exactly the mood and atmosphere I wanted. I want things to go darker but the same atmosphere that got me to this game to remain. That's exactly what happened in Dark Room.

Pushing boundaries is a good thing when done for a good reason. I detest games or any form of media that do it for shock value. This isn't the case here. The story was woven from the start to come to this end. It wasn't just inserted mid-story as a way to shock people. It's all been done very tastefully. A lot has (so far) been left to the imagination and I hope they continue down this track.

As I have mentioned in previous threads, if I keep receiving multiple reports for a specific individual it may result in their posting privileges being removed.

Please be considerate of others when posting on these forums.

Thank you

After a few days, I have recuperated a bit from all the shocking stuff in Ep. 4. Whether Rachel actually got the things done to her that I think, there's no 100% proof, although it looks pretty bad.

Mari (Geek Remix) had a beautiful theory:

Fan Theory: A Baseless Accusation

It involved Jefferson drugging girls and taking black & white pictures of them, at the height of their beauty, That would have sufficed for me. It would still have still been 'psycho', but 'accpetable', story-fitting wise, as part of a semi famous black & white photographer taking his ideal too far. Yet, instead of capturing women at the height of their beauty, Dontnod let Mr, Jefferson go for outright sick torture (see photos on bunker wall): capturing them 'in a moment of desperation' -- as he literally announced, btw, in Ep. 1.

And now I feel the horrid psycho stuff basically overshadows everything, leaving hardly any room for the 'normal' stuff, like speculation about spirit animals, two moons, possible confluence of multiple realities, etc.: the pervy stuff just grabs all attention. And I have to admit I am saddened by that. In that sense alone even I think they went too far: the story simply didn't need to go this extreme. LiS would have set itself apart, showing you can go 'slightly psycho', and be wonderfully engaging, without going for full depravity, like they did.
    signature image

I actually think they got it perfect with the pictures. They had to communicate the horror of what happened to these girls somehow, but they managed to do that without actually showing explicit sexual things etc. The pictures were horrifying without being overtly exploitative towards the player. No one could look at them, say that they thought they were "hot" or whatever and not be put in their place by other people. Because that would be completely messed up (but would totally be the case if this were another run-of-the-mill AAA title; so much sexual exploitation of female characters in those). While I agree that the photos were upsetting, they were meant to be upsetting, and it's up to you to determine whether you're still along for the ride or not. But I don't think they "failed" as you say, not at all. It just might be too dark for you or not up your alley. That's okay.

Also there is no actual evidence that sexual abuse was involved. It's implied, but at the same time it could be that Jefferson kidnaps & drugs these girls just to photograph them as he wants (which is bad enough, sexual abuse doesn't need to be involved to make him an irredeemable piece of who exploits girls). Like, it's supposed to make us think about sexual abuse and pedophilia (and the glorification and sexualization of "innocence") definitely and it does give off that vibe but I just want to remind you that in the context of the story it doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by spoopyskellyton View Post
    I actually think they got it perfect with the pictures. They had to communicate the horror of what happened to these girls somehow, but they managed to do that without actually showing explicit sexual things etc. The pictures were horrifying without being overtly exploitative towards the player. No one could look at them, say that they thought they were "hot" or whatever and not be put in their place by other people. Because that would be completely messed up (but would totally be the case if this were another run-of-the-mill AAA title; so much sexual exploitation of female characters in those). While I agree that the photos were upsetting, they were meant to be upsetting, and it's up to you to determine whether you're still along for the ride or not. But I don't think they "failed" as you say, not at all. It just might be too dark for you or not up your alley. That's okay.

Also there is no actual evidence that sexual abuse was involved. It's implied, but at the same time it could be that Jefferson kidnaps & drugs these girls just to photograph them as he wants (which is bad enough, sexual abuse doesn't need to be involved to make him an irredeemable piece of who exploits girls). Like, it's supposed to make us think about sexual abuse and pedophilia (and the glorification and sexualization of "innocence") definitely and it does give off that vibe but I just want to remind you that in the context of the story it doesn't necessarily have to be the case.
    For the record, I don't think I ever used the word 'failed' somewhere: I just thought they went too far with it (for my taste, at least). And, like I said in my last post, even if nothing sexually happened to these girls, which is unlikely, tbh, torture is bad enough (the capturing them 'in a moment of desperation' thingy). And one can seriously ask oneself whether the torture is't sexual for Mr. Jefferson to begin with it.

All-in-all, I wanted LiS to remain, well, like my sig pic.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by meimeiriver View Post
    Well, for one thing, I thought certain photos were waayyy too explicit. That wasn't necessary at all. It's one thing to engage your audience, it's quite another to just go for 'as shocking as possible.'
    Honestly, LiS from episode 1 has been all about just how real life is, and that's scary. From bullying, to social clicks to class warfar. It was clear from the get-go that things were going to get just worse and worse.

The Kate stuff was okay: some things were implied, but it never got gross or disgusting.
    I'd argue that the Kate stuff was far more explicit than anything else going on in LiS. The difference being that, Highschool bullying is so standard and pervasive that we don't see it as explicit. We get to see every aspect, angle, emotion, and carelessness that leads to Kate's attempt to jump. The alarming thing is that people were surprised at their inability to save Kate because we all just ignore bullying and hope it goes away.

I tell you, in truth, this game may have gotten too dark for me. And I'm kinda disappointed they took it in this direction. The problem is, that all the pervy stuff is so overwhelming, it kinda makes everything else insignificant. Like who cares now what Samuel's spirit animal is? Or why birds are dropping dead (on weird magnetic fields).
    Perfectly acceptable, not every story is for every person. The assault is dark, but i'd argue no darker than social clicks driving a girl to suicide. Or the class difference that allows a kid that's disturbed and drugged to hell carry a gun. The biggest difference between the two is one is deemed unacceptable and the other is deemed inescapable.

Episode 4 certainly gave me a kind of "Lovely Bones" Vibe if you've read the book (which was much darker than the movie.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12