Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **SPOILERS** Alternate Max in the Dark Room??!!

**SPOILERS** Alternate Max in the Dark Room??!!

I don't know if I'm missing something or if anyone has already found this yet, but I'm slightly shocked right now.

The thing is, I was replaying episode 4 and I was taking my time to read all the small hints as I usually do. Since I have two different savegames with different outcomes, I decided to re-read all the SMS in the alternate reality to see if there was something different... and I ended up finding something much more disturbing.

Nathan's conversation goes like this:

"N- Yo yo Max, u Around?
    M- In the dark room, developing shots for the contest.
    N- Sweeet, so no Two Whales for U"

Could Alternate Max be so ed up to actually be the one taking Rachel's (or Kate's) photos? What do you think?
    Last edited by TrujaSanguinaria; 29th Jul 2015 at 16:08.

I don't believe so, but then again...we were only in the Alternate Universe for a short time; so anything in the Alternate timeline is possible.

I also noticed this message and I don't think that Max would be capable of doing this.
    We saw that the alternate Max is a little different but not that much.

Maybe she is talking about an ordinary dark room or she is just allowed to use the Prescott dark room now that she's in the Vortex Club.
    I don't think the string-puller behind the shootings would involve someone like Max into something this messed up though.
    This would be way to dangerous for them and so they probably locked the files if someone else uses the dark room.

I'm very curious about the real meaning of this message, this can't just be a misleading by the devs.
    Maybe we will travel to the alternate reality again in Episode 5 and find out ^^
    signature image

“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”

I think it can't be proved or disproved. But is really something odd in it. Max never used any camera besides polaroid. She can not have her own dark room, so... witch dark room she was talking about?
    I also noticed this message and I don't think that Max would be capable of doing this.
    And i think she is. She is an empty shell.

Yes, we navigate alternate reality for a really short time but I think that there's more to it that it might seem at the first glance. Here, another clue in her (alternate) diary:

"October 4 (The day Kate was drugged if i'm not mistaken):

Hey dear diary, remember me? Busy Max. Busy. Busy. Can't write now. Must shoot. Must live. Must befriend, but must Vortex first, Party time!"

Really ominous.

And yeah, I think she might be capable of doing that given the philosophy of the game itself. No one born 'bad' or 'good', but the events and decisions one make can completely change a persons life. We've seen that with Chloe, and I think it's the same with Max.
    Last edited by TrujaSanguinaria; 29th Jul 2015 at 16:28.

Quote Originally Posted by TrujaSanguinaria View Post
    Yes, we navigate alternate reality for a really short time but I think that there's more to it that it might seem at the first glance. Here, another clue in her (alternate) diary:

Hey dear diary, remember me? Busy Max. Busy. Busy. Can't write now. Must shoot. Must live. Must befriend, but must Vortex first, Party time!"

Really ominous.
    That was the only thing that I couldn't get myself to do was read the diary. I didn't want to figure out this little Alternative Max because I was scared that she was like Normal Timeline Victoria. [I did read all the messages though.]

Really ominous.
    The alternate Max just doesn't seem that different to be involved into this.
    I mean not even Victoria knows about the dark room or at least not what they are doing in there.

I think Max is rather just talking about the party and the contest within this diary entry.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Wambo_is_Strange View Post
    But we never saw alternate Max in action, didn't we? And we know as a fact that Victoria afraid of her.

Well, i hope that this is true. It makes the plot waaaaaay more interesting.
    Last edited by Xeva-q; 29th Jul 2015 at 16:42. Reason: re-formating

Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    But we never saw alternate Max in action, didn't we? And we know as a fact that Victoria AFRAID of her.

Well, i hope that this is true. It makes the plot waaaaaay more interesting.
    No we didn't but from what you could see within the text messages, letters etc it seems Max is more shallow but still not a bad person.
    Victoria was afraid because she seemed to bootlick Max now that she is popular, not necessarily because she really fears her.

Of course this is just what I'm thinking, I'm not saying it's the unconditional truth
    I just don't think this is where the story is going.

I would totally enjoy exploring the alternate reality though, I think this would be very interesting.
    signature image

I mean not even Victoria knows about the dark room or at least not what they are doing in there.

I think Max is rather just talking about the party and the contest within this diary entry.
    We really don't know -anything- about alternate Max, but the more I dig into all 'her' stuff, the more I see that she was nothing like the Max we already know. She seems really menacing and even scary.

Besides Nathan's message, there's more to it:

-Mom says she cannot pay her bills anymore, and she responds that she needed the money to buy film, not a camera. (that would be lots of film). And *when* does mom send that message? Of course, the day after Kate was drugged. Cannot be a coincidence.

-She contacted Chloe in August, and didn't came to see her until october 10th and that was because we altered time. Before Blackwell, she seemed that she cared about her, but not anymore.

-Alyssa is clearly scared of Max. Conversation goes like this:
    "M- Alyssa, I saw you throw that TP at me.
    A- OMG. I was not aiming at you. I SWEAR!
    M- Don't do it again."

- Victoria seems scared of her too, and she is clearly worried about Max being mad at her.

Woah, this game is getting truly fantastic (and creepy).

No we didn't but from what you could see within the text messages, letters etc it seems Max is more shallow but still not a bad person.
    Victoria was afraid because she seemed to bootlick Max now that she is popular, not necessarily because she really fears her.

Of course this is just what I'm thinking, I'm not saying it's the unconditional truth
    I just don't think this is where the story is going.

I would totally enjoy exploring the alternate reality though, I think this would be very interesting.
    Think about it. William life or death couldn't have huge impact on Max - she lived in another city, after all. And she returned in Arcadia Bay just two month ago. And yet, even with such little influence her personality was completely altered, so she become friends with people who originally disgust her.

And what is it means, when someone's personality altered dramaticly by very little change? I think it means that a person do not have much of personality. That a person have no solid "self". An empty shell.

If someone have no "self" isn't it suit such person well to take photo of their face over and over again?

We really don't know -anything- about alternate Max, but the more I dig into all 'her' stuff, the more I see that she was nothing like the Max we already know. She seems really menacing and even scary.
    Like I said before, this is just what I'm reading out of the small facts given in the alternate reality and not what I think is the unconditional truth.

-Mom says she cannot pay her bills anymore, and she responds that she needed the money to buy film, not a camera. (that would be lots of film). And *when* does mom send that message? Of course, the day after Kate was drugged. Cannot be a coincidence.
    The game happens in a small time frame, so it sure can be a coincidence that she received the message this day.

-Alyssa is clearly scared of Max. Conversation goes like this:
    "M- Alyssa, I saw you throw that TP at me.
    A- OMG. I was not aiming at you. I SWEAR!
    M- Don't do it again."
    Alyssa also said that it's a shame Max hangs out with those people because she thought she was different.

So it's very likely she was the same before and still is a good person but was majorly changed by her Vortex Club membership.
    Which is not very surprising if you look at the way all Vortex members act.
    She seems to be more like Victoria, Courtney or Taylor who all are not bad at heart (as we can see) but just adapt to their environment in a bad way.

- Victoria seems scared of her too, and she is clearly worried about Max being mad at her.

Think about it. William life or death couldn't have huge impact on Max - she lived in another city, after all. And she returned in Arcadia Bay just two month ago. And yet, even with such little influence her personality was completely altered, so she become friends with people who originally disgust her.

And what is it means, when someone's personality altered dramaticly by very little change? I think it means that a person do not have much of personality. That a person have no solid "self". An empty shell.

If someone have no "self" isn't it suit such person well to take photo of their face over and over again?
    I wouldn't overdramatize this. She is a teenager, she takes the chances she gets.
    I'm not saying this is particularly good or honest but it's how almost everyone would react.
    If the popular people invite you to their 'world', who would say no I'll stay a misfit because I have a strong personality.
    This may be a honorable thing to do but it's also highly unrealitic for a teenager.

Again, this is just my interpretation of Max's behaviour
    signature image

I don't know if I'm missing something or if anyone has already found this yet, but I'm slightly shocked right now.

The thing is, I was replaying episode 4 and I was taking my time to read all the small hints as I usually do. Since I have two different savegames with different outcomes, I decided to re-read all the SMS in the alternate reality to see if there was something different... and I ended up finding something much more disturbing.

Nathan's conversation goes like this:

"N- Yo yo Max, u Around?
    M- In the dark room, developing shots for the contest.
    N- Sweeet, so no Two Whales for U"

Could Alternate Max be so ed up to actually be the one taking Rachel's (or Kate's) photos? What do you think?

Nah. Alternate Max is (was, I should say, since our 'old' Max esentially took over) much more confident, and a member of the Vortex Club. People actually *do* use regular dark rooms, you know?! This was just Max feeling confident enough to submit a photo for the Everyday Hero contest.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by meimeiriver View Post
    Nah. Alternate Max is (was, I should say, since our 'old' Max esentially took over) much more confident, and a member of the Vortex Club. People actually *do* use regular dark rooms, you know?! This was just Max feeling confident enough to submit a photo for the Everyday Hero contest.
    But it is not a real world. "Life is strange" is work of fiction so it goes by fictional laws. And if something exist in fictional word it was put there for a reason. Well, not always, to be fair. But in this case it is certainly not just mere coincidence. Because "The dark room" it is one of basic conceptions of this fictional word.

So if it was put there it clearly was put there for a reason. What can this reason possibly be?

Well, here some possibilities :

- Just little foreshadowing.
    - To make a player feell a little chill.
    - To show what monster Maxine really is.

At this point you can choose whatever you like. I certainly prefer the last option. I see Maxin as a monster even without it.

Oooh, interesting. I think they need to either make the last episode really long, or bring out an extension. To many possible alternative realities. Of course, alternative Max could be messing with time too.

But it is not a real world. "Life is strange" is work of fiction so it goes by fictional laws. And if something exist in fictional word it was put there for a reason. Well, not always, to be fair. But in this case it is certainly not just mere coincidence. Because "The dark room" it is one of basic conceptions of this fictional word.
    You're trying to see too much into this. "In the dark room, developing shots for the contest." pretty much says it all: Max is in the dark room (at Blackwell Academy, most likely), developing shots for the contest. Nothing more. Much like Max saying, out-loud, "Bet he developed that in Jefferson's class... but why?", when finding Warren's photo of the two together, doesn't mean, OMG, that Warren is now a monster in a dark room too. Sometimes, to paraphrase Freud, a dark room is just a dark room.
    signature image

But she doesn't use film that needs developing.

Quote Originally Posted by BinnieBob View Post
    But she doesn't use film that needs developing.
    Maybe she didn't use her instant-camera for the project?!
    signature image

Maybe, guess we'll never know lol.

Quote Originally Posted by meimeiriver View Post
    You're trying to see too much into this.
    I see you still on a phase of denial. Do not worry. It will be over someday...

Just joking! Please, take no offence.

But, the very fact that this line it is a reference to the name of the game itself lies beyond any reasonable doubt. Sorry, but i can't even consider this as my opinion. It simply does not work another way.

Try to put yourself on the writer's place. If you does not want that reference you can simply choose other words. I just can't imagine that someone could put it there without noticing how it sounds. They not THAT stupid.

I'm not trying to say that this line necessarily means that Max became Jefferson's accomplice. On a contrary, it seems to me highly unlikely. Simply because it too good to be true. Themes like that lie much higher than level of this game.

It is can be just simple trolling, or joke, or foreshadowing. But the fact that this line was put there on purpose just can't be denied.
    Quote Originally Posted by BinnieBob View Post
    Maybe, guess we'll never know lol.
    Well, if it is not just a joke, we'll know. But unfortunately it is highly doubtful.

But, the very fact that this line it is a reference to the name of the game itself lies beyond any reasonable doubt. Sorry, but i can't even consider this as my opinion. It simply does not work another way.
    Oh, they definitely wanted to put that there. But simply, IMHO, to show that Max, in this reality, was way more confident and willing to enter the Every Day Hero contest.

It is can be just simple trolling, or joke, or foreshadowing. But the fact that this line was put there on purpose just can't be denied.
    Nor is it being denied.

As for Max using a film-camera, remember how she saw that fancy camera in Nathan's room? They're friends in this reality now, so maybe she borrowed one of his? Who knows?!

P.S. And no, dear Max is not evil, LOL. Sorry, but i can't even consider that as my opinion.
    signature image

And no, dear Max is not evil, LOL. Sorry, but i can't even consider that as my opinion.
    And i never said that she is evil. She is an empty shell. And this is much, much worse.
    But simply, IMHO, to show that Max, in this reality, was way more confident and willing to enter the Every Day Hero contest.
    They had no reason to use this words, didn't they? It's simply this: If words "dark room" is used, the reference to the Jefferson's dark room is made. It is freakin' game's title. In any work of fiction if title is used it is a reference to something. Or you have some counter-examples? Feel free to share. ^__^
    As for Max using a film-camera, remember how she saw that fancy camera in Nathan's room? They're friends in this reality now, so maybe she borrowed one of his? Who knows?
    And it very well might be. And it is even most likely. As i told, the reference might be mere joke or simple foreshadowing. But denial of existence of the reference itself seems very strange for me.

And i never said that she is evil. She is an empty shell. And this is much, much worse.

They had no reason to use this words, didn't they? It's simply this: If words "dark room" is used, the reference to the Jefferson's dark room is made. It is freakin' game's title. In any work of fiction if title is used it is a reference to something. Or you have some counter-examples? Feel free to share. ^__^

And it very well might be. And it is even most likely. As i told, the reference might be mere joke or simple foreshadowing. But denial of existence of the reference itself seems very strange for me.
    I not exactly think she's empty. She's young and is simply discovering herself. That's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by RaulRoque View Post
    I not exactly think she's empty. She's young and is simply discovering herself. That's fair.
    Well, as i see it it is not enough to be just young to act like she does.

Well, as i see it it is not enough to be just young to act like she does.
    In what way, for example?

For me, she's introverted. One thing that I find strange is that her eyelids are always red. Doesn't she sleep? :P
    Last edited by RaulRoque; 1st Aug 2015 at 02:10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast