Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Question about the Lore of Prophets.

Question about the Lore of Prophets.

Question about the Lore of Prophets.

First off, do they have to be female? I see no where that you have to be female to embibe from the blood fount and get the powers.

Second, I can't seem to get a real hold on the actual mechanics of their pistols. Are they flintlocks, or revolvers?

Third, how exactly do they still see? I'm sure it has to do with either heightened senses or the ability to see in the spectral realm to a degree, but I'd like some actual dev confirmation.

Most of what we know about the Prophets comes from their lore blogs and the hints related to cut content from previous titles.

https://www.nosgoth.com/blog/new-hum...phet-out-today
    http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/new-huma...ers-of-avernus

1)It's not certain but it would appear on the face of it to be a female-only sect. They're apparently related to the witches removed from Blood Omen, which were similarly an entirely female on the face of it.
    2)Interestingly unclear. One source says flintlocks, the others says revolvers. I can't remember off the top of my head which description is in game, but I think it may be flintlocks.
    3)Again not really elaborted upon but it may be literally to do with their description as "prophets" and "a divinatory order". They do have a lot of dialgue about "seeing" perhaps seeing while their sight is covered is some kind of ritual? Speculation aside, ultimately unclear.
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

1) They are female for the same reason the alchemists are only female...it's a female only clan etc...

2) I think its both actually...the standard/default pistol looks like a revolver, while the heavy pistol, for example, looks like a flintlock...

3) It's not mentioned in the blog posts...but they are magical, perhaps they can sense blood magically? (I'm speculating from their Leech life ability)

I'd just say it's some combination of technologies that comprise their guns.

Was it stated that the Prophets are blind? I don't recall that...

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    Was it stated that the Prophets are blind? I don't recall that...
    It's not, but all the Prophet's are blind-folded or wear masks with no eye-holes

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    It's not, but all the Prophet's are blind-folded or wear masks with no eye-holes
    The default has eyeholes...Malus...Woods Witch has some small ones, if I recall...But yeah, I forgot the ones with eyeless masks.

Probably not a big deal for diviners though.

Originally Posted by LordPariah
    Third, how exactly do they still see? I'm sure it has to do with either heightened senses or the ability to see in the spectral realm to a degree, but I'd like some actual dev confirmation.
    Taken from The Prophet aka The Lost Seers of Avernus blog entry:

Imbibing potentially lethal doses of the black blood, the ranks of the Prophets put their bodies into a state of toxic shock from which barely half emerged alive. Those who do are permanently altered – blinded, their lips stained and their own blood tainted for as long as their hearts continue to beat.
    It has never been confirmed but I'd think it would either be from the black blood or through their practices much like mediums seeing dead people. I could be completely wrong there though!

The male counterparts to the Prophets might be followers of Mortanius, since he preached at the cathedral too and led the Cenobites etc. Perhaps they used a different method of prophecy. Necromancy is the art of predicting the future by communicating with the dead and perhaps that led them to distrust the Oracle and be unwilling to associate with him.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    The male counterparts to the Prophets might be followers of Mortanius, since he preached at the cathedral too and led the Cenobites etc. Perhaps they used a different method of prophecy. Necromancy is the art of predicting the future by communicating with the dead and perhaps that led them to distrust the Oracle and be unwilling to associate with him.
    Followers of the Guardian of Death taking offense at communicating with the dead, which Mortanius does in the very start of the series? Seems a tad...Silly. Or is that meant to say that they grew distrustful of the Oracle through things they learned while talking to the dead?

A sort of counterpart sect following Mortanius could give us that mage class people have been asking for...

Originally Posted by lucinvampire
    It has never been confirmed but I'd think it would either be from the black blood or through their practices much like mediums seeing dead people. I could be completely wrong there though!
    I'd always thought of the black blood operating akin to a sort of instinctual virus in seeking out pure blood to spread its own corruption. So ingesting a certain portion of it renders the Prophets able to 'see' other beings as the black blood in them is drawn toward the pure blood in others.

This would also solve the otherwise nonsensical CTB mechanic of exploding corpses. The blood presumably must be consumed to harm so just getting some blasted on your arm is nothing...But if it seeps in through your pores to try to reach your bloodstream...And the exploding itself could also be a result of this seeking, once the host corpse's pure blood is all gone.

A much more mundane but simple explanation may be that the particular fountain they drink from grants them this supernatural sight much as fountains throughout Nosgoth granted Kain various powers.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 30th Jul 2015 at 19:50.

I'd always thought of the black blood operating akin to a sort of instinctual virus in seeking out pure blood to spread its own corruption. So ingesting a certain portion of it renders the Prophets able to 'see' other beings as the black blood in them is drawn toward the pure blood in others.
    That’s some interesting theorising, it would make an interesting idea for their way of seeing, I like it!

A much more mundane but simple explanation may be that the particular fountain they drink from grants them this supernatural sight much as fountains throughout Nosgoth granted Kain various powers.
    I personally always just thought it would only apply to vampires. I’d be curious though for a definite answer, if drinking from a fountain as a human that contains a certain property would grant that property to some extent.

This would also solve the otherwise nonsensical CTB mechanic of exploding corpses. The blood presumably must be consumed to harm so just getting some blasted on your arm is nothing...But if it seeps in through your pores to try to reach your bloodstream...And the exploding itself could also be a result of this seeking, once the host corpse's pure blood is all gone.
    Yep it would indeed help make the mode have a little more sense, rather than just a black blood magical corpse bomb.

Followers of the Guardian of Death taking offense at communicating with the dead, which Mortanius does in the very start of the series? Seems a tad...Silly. Or is that meant to say that they grew distrustful of the Oracle through things they learned while talking to the dead?
    The version of Moebius communicating with them isn't dead though. It's him from the past when he was still alive. That's not the same as communicating with ghosts or spirits etc. And I meant because the actual dead people that Necromancers would communicate with would be more likely to know of Moebius's deceptions.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

I am not really excited, to tell the truth, by the cenobites turning up as some kind of mage class - seems a tad predictable. Dig the Prophets though. I'd like to see some kind of feral human, maybe with some kind of mutation, living in the Termogent swamp or lands of the Nemesis. I think a lot of humans,rebelling against Kain, would have to live in the sort of places where the vampires find it difficult to get through (swamps, wetlands), well fortified, impassable rocky places, or places where there were a lot of things that made life dangerous, and the humans weren't the only threat (Dark Eden maybe).
    signature image

Originally Posted by Sluagh
    I am not really excited, to tell the truth, by the cenobites turning up as some kind of mage class - seems a tad predictable. Dig the Prophets though. I'd like to see some kind of feral human, maybe with some kind of mutation, living in the Termogent swamp or lands of the Nemesis. I think a lot of humans,rebelling against Kain, would have to live in the sort of places where the vampires find it difficult to get through (swamps, wetlands), well fortified, impassable rocky places, or places where there were a lot of things that made life dangerous, and the humans weren't the only threat (Dark Eden maybe).
    Now you're just making me think of all of those feather-and-stick-wearing people who snarled at Kain in an alien tongue in Defiance. And now I want to see them in Nosgoth! ;'D

Think about it! They could totally be fun! Spry, ninja-like little human things that jump around and fling knives for their ranged weapons!

It´s unlikely any of the feral humans survived (they are already gone when Kain jumps 500 years ahead to go to Avernus).

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    It´s unlikely any of the feral humans survived (they are already gone when Kain jumps 500 years ahead to go to Avernus).
    That particular group of feral humans anyway. There are feral humans described in the SR1 manual, but they're a different culture from a different time and place.

KainitePriestess mentioned the ones from Defiance, hence the link.

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    KainitePriestess mentioned the ones from Defiance, hence the link.
    I was just pointing out that there are alternatives that don't break the lore.

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    I was just pointing out that there are alternatives that don't break the lore.
    But they have nothing whatsoever to do with "those feather-and-stick-wearing people who snarled at Kain in an alien tongue in Defiance" and "jump around and fling knives for their ranged weapons..."
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Originally Posted by Lord_Aevum
    But they have nothing whatsoever to do with "those feather-and-stick-wearing people who snarled at Kain in an alien tongue in Defiance" and "jump around and fling knives for their ranged weapons..."
    Isn't that what I said? - "Different culture from a different time and place". Also, 'feral' isn't a noun denoting that specific group, it's an adjective suggestive of certain traits that both groups would be expected to have. For example, simplistic weapons and clothes from hunting and tribal behavior.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 7th Sep 2015 at 16:52.

Then why even bring them up?
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Originally Posted by Lord_Aevum
    Then why even bring them up?
    Did you see the edit? 'Feral' has certain connotations that they might have a few things in common that KaininitePriestess might have liked about ones that died back in Defiance.

Oh man, I forgot about that, you're right! Ah well. XD It was an amusing thought anyway.

At the same time, the Prophets are technically Priestesses of Avernus who broke away and survived long after Avernus was destroyed, so maybe there are some groups that survived in that feral nature? Still, that doesn't change the fact that apparently the Feral humans were Vampire Worshipers, so they wouldn't fit into a Vampire team even if they had survived.

Maybe just something reminiscent of them as a nod? A group of humans who found the weapons and art and things of the Ancient humans and mistook them as Vampire Hunters and emulated them? IDK. It was just a thought, don't mind me. /shrugs/

Oh Kaininite you sent me on some crazy thinking now...

Not really keeping with the feral humans from previous games but a class based on a tribal/feral human concept. I’d love to play some sort of crazy tribal man/woman that shoots poisoned blow darts at vampires, throws pikes, jumps around and can climb stuff (like trees). Dressed in skins/furs, feathers and covered in tribal paint/tattoos/piercings/scarification.

Ok that isn’t in keeping with lore from what we’ve seen but it has been mentioned there’s unexplored locations where interesting people/classes could come from - there's probably be some kind of tribe that still exists, they do in the real world…so you know.

Seriously, it'd be an awesome class! Maybe they could have an ability similar to the Scout that allows them to get into high places by climbing! And then they could shoot them with poisoned darts that drain their health over time. Maybe their outfits help them blend into trees and foliage like the grasses and bushes that there are scattered around the maps so that they're standing there and the vampires don't notice until they're getting attacked!

There's nothing directly shown that it would be based on in this time period in the games, but that's true for a few of the things that we have on the Human side. The important thing is that it takes from things that are already there and expands on it to fit it into the lore.

Originally Posted by KaininitePriestess
    Seriously, it'd be an awesome class! Maybe they could have an ability similar to the Scout that allows them to get into high places by climbing! And then they could shoot them with poisoned darts that drain their health over time. Maybe their outfits help them blend into trees and foliage like the grasses and bushes that there are scattered around the maps so that they're standing there and the vampires don't notice until they're getting attacked!
    That’d be fun to play

Originally Posted by KaininitePriestess
    There's nothing directly shown that it would be based on in this time period in the games, but that's true for a few of the things that we have on the Human side. The important thing is that it takes from things that are already there and expands on it to fit it into the lore.
    Yes, the human classes might be loosely based around things, like the vampire hunters in SR with their hand cannons, but looking at it there isn’t load more shown in game, if the game just went by what is seen in that era, we wouldn’t have much to play with so I’m glad they have been branching out with all the other classes as little, as long as they don’t “break the lore” then it’s good and gives us something fun to play.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last