Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your style of playing

Your style of playing

I'm really interested in how you all play your games, especially Tomb Raider. Do you try to stick to the story line at first and go back to collect things later? Do you just play the game without trying to collect all collectables?

Myself, I always try to collect everything possible in that area before going on with the story.

Also, do you use the instinct mode? I'm not a fan of it, but quickly got used to it and sadly find myself using it all the time. I cheat on myself. But if there will be an option to turn it off in the next game, I probably will.
    signature image

^ Well, when it comes to Tomb Raider, I'm gonna tell you how I played the reboot. First time I played it, I was all into the story. Sure, I tried to find as much secrets as I could, but the story was my main goal. For example, I didn't do much backtracking to other areas when I got better gear. But the second time I played it, it was all for that 100%, and I did it Now, when I finish my finals, I plan on playing it the 3rd time, which is probably be a mix of 1st and 2nd playthrough :P

Hmm, I only used instinct-mode once or twice, when I was in a hurry and just wanted to be done with a level, that was on my first playthrough Bu for RotTR, I'm not gonna use it, there's no need, I think

Also, if there's stealth possible in any game, I try to do it, usually well, but if I mess up, I just go guns blazing So, I'm glad we have stealth, I just hope the AI is smart, so you have a sense of accomplishment when you take them stealthily
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

If the story is really good I quickly 'forget' the collectables too. I didn't use the travel-back option once when playing TR9 the first time.

To be completely honest I'm a person who NEEDS to use the stealth way if there is one. If I got caught in TR9 while trying to sneak, I simply reloaded the last save. Again - lying to myself. Well, sorry not sorry. Some people call that cheating, but I enjoy the game more this way. Even if I needed 10 tries for it, afterwards I'm proud that I made it to kill them silently/sneak around them.

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    so you have a sense of accomplishment when you take them stealthily
    That's what I'm talking about.
    signature image

^ Hey, it's not a competition, you play how it makes you happy, and that's awesome There are times when I reload saves too, but those are games like Skyrim where you have quicksaves and quickloads Also, I'm glad that the "game autosaves when you pick up any little thing" is back
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    Also, I'm glad that the "game autosaves when you pick up any little thing" is back
    YES! Because I'm such a lazy person when it comes to saving. My way of playing wouldn't have been possible if they didn't save the game for me every 5 seconds.
    signature image

I go through the story. When I really love a game I like to stall a bit and play the sidequests. But I usually skip the collectables, I haven't finished all the challenges in TR9 either. But I think Rise might be a different story, I look forward to exploring the world for its collectables and everything

''It blows my mind; you can really feel the mass effect.'' - Camilla Luddington

Quote Originally Posted by Kxtniss View Post
    I'm really interested in how you all play your games, especially Tomb Raider. Do you try to stick to the story line at first and go back to collect things later? Do you just play the game without trying to collect all collectables?

Myself, I always try to collect everything possible in that area before going on with the story.

Also, do you use the instinct mode? I'm not a fan of it, but quickly got used to it and sadly find myself using it all the time. I cheat on myself. But if there will be an option to turn it off in the next game, I probably will.
    With TR games it depends on how much into the game I am. With some of the classics I tried to collect all secrets, but with the LAU games not so much, and there I just stuck to the main campaign, really.

It's different with GTA style games. There I'm usually encouraged to collect everything and go for 100%. I'm playing GTA5 right now and I'm trying to not finish the main story before collecting everything; having completed the story kind is then kind of discouraging to stick around and do all the side-missions.

I've never used instinct mode. That is, only one time when I had to as part of the story, but after that, I just tried to figure things out on my own. I really dislike hints and helper icons in TR games; it can really grind my gears when Lara has a freaking crowbar in her hand, and she's 5 meters away from a freaking valve, and the game is already yelling at me USE IT ON THE VALVE, USE IT ON THE VALVE!!! Ugh :/

Oh and as I just posted in another thread - I'm a medipack hoarder

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I scour, if the game is not forcing me forwards. I even tried walking around and jumping up the TR2013 radio tower (which consequently uncovered a massive bug, go me) to see if there was anything there.

I generally try stealth, shock tactics or environment manipulation for combat. I like clean kills, so it's not uncommon to clear a section, pause a moment, then save (e.g. F.E.A.R). If I take damage that's not persistent, I don't mind so much.
    If a game allows it, I'll generally carry a sniper rifle and a shotgun - ranging and closing distance when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    I'm playing GTA5 right now and I'm trying to not finish the main story before collecting everything; having completed the story kind is then kind of discouraging to stick around and do all the side-missions.
    There's too much to do! /cries
    signature image

it depends. if i enjoy a game a lot, i sure take my time to collect everything i can get my hands on. if possible of course when i need a certain skill to reach an area. but if the game doesnt grab me as i hope it would, then of course i dont bother looking around and just go for the story only.
    so far with legend and underworld i went all the way and got a 100%. same as with TR9.
    signature image

With LAU I just went on with the campaign but I always tried to find the relics because I wanted outfits and unlockables, I only collected everything else when replaying levels.

With TR:2013, I tried to 100% all of the areas first, I never usually do that tbh but I wanted the game to last as long as possible

I went for 100% on my first playthrough.

I play the story 'til I get bored, then go back and look for stuff usually, although I do stray from the story occasionally
    signature image

I like taking my time when I play a game, I'm never in a hurry to finish. I'll explore everywhere I am able to explore, just to see if something is there or not. If it takes me 60+ hours to complete my first play thought, I don't care, I'm satisfied.

Generally I prefer to take my time and not rush through a game, but it greatly depends on how invested I am. Some games I don't care and will just stick to the plot points, but for a majority I like to get my money's worth and play that game for all it's got.

For TR9 the story wasn't enough to make me feel like I needed to blaze through everything and rush on to the next plot point. The collectables and challenges were honestly the highlight of the game for me. Then again, I think it's definitely a personality thing. I love loot and exploring and will scour game environments for every random thing that catches my attention. I also just like the extra challenge.

If I were a game dev I would be the type to have 5 doors and only put in 4 keys. I would want the player to explore the game for that 5th key and make up elaborate fan theories about it all the while knowing that 5th door was a dud. Because in a way the last key was never to unlock a door, it was to discovering and unlocking all the little details throughout the game in search of a key that didn't exist. That's just how I roll.

Combat-wise I liked the light stealth elements in TR9 but I am very much an in your face with a shotgun kinda gamer. I loved the brawler skills and favored melee when I could just to break up all the gunfighting. The survival instinct was something I dabbled with at the beginning of the game but I dismissed it and stuck to figuring things out on my own. I think it's a good idea to include but I like that its use is optional.

On first playthrough I will just play the story but if I discover areas where there is a set of jumps or a puzzle I see of the main path will spend the time to explore it even if Lara doesn't yet have the way to manage it. I played hardest mode straight off, using bow and arrow, only switching when I got low on arrows. I also avoided using any upgrades unless automatic. While Shanty Town was by far the toughest part of the game would rather play the game at its toughest 1st time to lengthen completion time as after waiting so long for it not wanting to rush through. After finishing it was then about going for 100%.

First of all, let me clarify that I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to playing games -- meaning, generally, I've never completed any game 100% because I don't have the time and patience to do that.

That being said, I personally despise collectibles in games as well.

For example, in the original Prototype game, there were 100 ground collectible orbs(?) around the city and I was almost close to having them all; but eventually gave up because they were scarce and I did not know where to go.
    Then, I became aggravated and frustrated and I realized it was too much traveling and a waste of time so I stopped collecting.

So, back to TR.
    When I played the reboot, I played straight through the story, and whatever items I was able to collect or wanted to collect, I have. Then I just finished the game. I have tried to return the second time and attempted to collect all upgrades, and only those, but I just didn't.

And that's how I play it, I just play through the story and don't really care about collectibles, etc.

I have obviously used Lara's Instinct mode a lot. It's there for players to use or not.
    But, for me, I've utilized it because I did not want to waste time being lost.
    Last edited by NightRain'06; 19th Jun 2015 at 03:50.
    signature image

I am more a replayer so I play sections of games or full games ad then do again trying to be more efficient with resources and be faster to complete. Is a pity it doesn't give you times at the end of each section like the old games or time trials but playing with the bow and arrow only is cool way to make it harder.

first playtrough i always go for the story and when anything comes on my path or i feel like exploring some areas deeper i do that. any next playtrough i try to explore more of the maps and search all areas for secrets

I pushed my way through story mode first. But also attempted to find those hidden treasures. I am currently trying to upgrade all weapons. Not an easy side quest. I have however completed story mode. Just picking up things i missed along the way.

It depends on the game. 'TR2013' I did my best to find everything before completing the story, and then go back and get what I missed later. Actually, I do that with all TRs.

Something like a GTA, where you can go back for stuff in a free roam mode, I'll let stuff wait. GTAs have so much stuff in them to do it's easy for me to get caught up and forget what's going on in the story.

'FF12' was like that as well. There was so much to do as far as monster hunting, weapon hunting, leveling everyone up, and side quests I literally forgot what the Hell was going on in the story. And there's no free roam mode once that game is over, so I felt compelled to do it all before completing the story. It was a long playthrough.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

My gaming style is kinda erratic . My intention playing the reboot was to explore as much as possible as and when I came into a new hub for relics and journals and only continue the story path when I was satisfied I'd done as much as I could. Then once I finished the game, go back and find the other collectables, complete the challenges. Of course hubs like Shanty Town and areas like the palace force you forward with combat, so I got distracted. Plus, a couple of times, once in ST and again in Mountain Village I actually lost the campsite and so got bored and then lost my way briefly re-finding the main path . So I ended up giving up and sticking to forward, only to change my mind and explore again.

Playing Legend and TRA, I had no such troubles. I didn't try too hard with TRU either. As for the Core games, my play style was similar to the reboot. I'd look for secrets, then stop, then continue. I tend to tire easily and feel ill if I'm running around aimlessly, so that's why I give up sometimes.

Depends on the game, but generally i'll try to do a certain amount of side stuff as I go. That way I don't have to trawl through collectibles etc at the end which could feel like a drag.

Batman AK is a little fluid in that way, so you can break off easily and do other things and come back to the main story. Certainly waiting till the end to pick up 200+ Riddler trophies would be boring!
    signature image

The first time I played the first TR remake I just played the story and picked up collectables as I found them. After I travelled to the different areas via campsite and grabbed the ones I missed.

I also play Metal Gear Solid games and usually I try to sweep the area I'm in to pick up rations and things like that before I leave.
    signature image

Nice thread!! Glad I'm back again!!

How I play TR.... First , I take a moment to admire the graphics. Then , I usually follow the story , and I once I've completed the game ( TR2013 ) , I go back and collect all the relics!!
    I am also a big fan of Metal Gear Solid series , but I'm a total noob , lol.... It takes me about 10 minutes to sleep all the guards in one area , because I'm so bad at close combat!!!
    Last edited by CroftManiac; 16th Jul 2015 at 14:36.

My style of playing is often diffuse. I tend to stick to one area for a long time for many reasons. Collecting everything I can is one of them because it doesn't feel the same after completing the storyline. The other reason is admiring to the effort developers put into the game. Little things like wrinkles on characters, textures on the ground... I even go as far as trying to figure out what is a 2D image in the landscape and what are actual 3D models of trees, mountains, building or whatever. Side missions, if there are any, are also something I like to complete before main storyline.

Too often I find myself going in random directions, especially when it comes to open world games. That's why I've rarely thought that any game I play is too short, I make it longer myself without realizing it because that's how I play - no stress, no hurry. Only at the second play I realize whether the game is short or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Oh and as I just posted in another thread - I'm a medipack hoarder
    Admit it, you had at least 45 of large and 45 of small medipacks at the end of TRA, right?
    How would I know? Let's just say I was so very angry that in TRL you could only have a maximum of 3 medipacks.

Quote Originally Posted by pandy5 View Post
    I am also a big fan of Metal Gear Solid series , but I'm a total noob , lol.... It takes me about 10 minutes to sleep all the guards in one area , because I'm so bad at close combat!!!
    Sounds exactly like my brother and me. I like to call us perfectionists - you wait until you're 100% sure, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast