Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So is Rise of the Tomb Raider going to get a Collector's Edition?

So is Rise of the Tomb Raider going to get a Collector's Edition?

Nothing has been said. How are we supposed to preorder if there are no notification ahead of time whether to get the standard edition or the collector's edition (if any).

I would be pretty amazed if there wasn't. Battlefront has no collectors edition announced either, but Assassins Creed Syndicate has. Guess we'll just have to wait. I have pre-ordered the standard edition for now.
    signature image

Absolutely it will. It's hyped so much and those things sell.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

I'm almost expecting a custom console edition...

I hope that there will be a collector's edition for PS4, even though it's not originating there. That would kinda be a bonus slap in the face for PS4 peeps if there isn't.
    signature image

I do believe we might see a special Rise of the Tomb Tomb Raider Xbox One bundle. Not sure if that rules out a regular Collector's Edition for the game though. Let's see what they have in store for us this time around...

Well, either way you know there's going to be a 'Rise' Xbone bundle. If they do put out a collectors edition with a statue or toy or something, I wouldn't mind if they go the 'L.C.T.O.O.' route and sell it separate from the game, or at least give the option. For obvious reasons. But even if it's "with game only", how many of us haven't entertained the idea of: "Yeah, I could buy that and then sell the game."? I know I did for about 10 minutes.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Treeble View Post
    I do believe we might see a special Rise of the Tomb Tomb Raider Xbox One bundle. Not sure if that rules out a regular Collector's Edition for the game though. Let's see what they have in store for us this time around...
    Honestly, I'm also expecting a TR XBox One bundle as well -- perfect for me since I still don't own an XBox One.

I would not be surprised if there will be Collector's / Limited editions-- as many of these high budget games have been receiving in the past several years.

Although I'm a long-time TR fan, I probably won't purchase multiple versions.
    But maybe purchase a season pass if that's something Crystal Dynamics and MS will offer.
    signature image

I doubt they'd do an Xbox One RotTR bundle since they already have Fallout 4 and Fallout 3 (backwards compatibility) Xbox One bundle console on the same day as RotTR. It boggles my mind that MS would release RotTR on the same day as Fallout 4 ... I wanna know about the CE though

Quote Originally Posted by levyjl1988 View Post
    Nothing has been said. How are we supposed to preorder if there are no notification ahead of time whether to get the standard edition or the collector's edition (if any).
    Upgrade?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Upgrade?
    That's a problem if they, like Bethesda, make it an EB Games exclusive. No opportunity to upgrade if you pre-ordered it elsewhere.
    signature image

I expected an announcement at E3 tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Upgrade?
    One cannot simply upgrade their standard copy to a CE especially online.
    You select a sku add in you credit card information and you have it preordered.

In retailers one should be able to upgrade, if and only if there is availability.

For online it's either you select it or you don't.

Oh well I'll be getting Fallout 4 Pipboy Edition and regular copy.
    It's strange there isn't any announcement considering the date is already near.

I guess the CE will be underwhelming. A Square Enix Lara figure can easily be bought separately much like an Artbook, soundtrack, and DLC bonuses will only incite rage towards fans. I guess a standard copy as the only copy would be the best option.

You are able to cancel a preorder until it's available. So can't you just cancel if/when the Collectors Edition is announced and preorder that?

Square Enix is having a poll to determine what goes into the Collector's Edition of Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Maybe they could extend this concept this to Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Fans rank three of the options in order of preference.

^^^ Oh, that's both cool and a bummer at the same time. Cool because they get to pick, bummer because you know they want everything. I would.

EDIT: I just hope Square is ready for loads of "I didn't ask for this"s from fans when someone's fave option gets left out.
    signature image

Square Enix is having a poll to determine what goes into the Collector's Edition of Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Maybe they could extend this concept this to Rise of the Tomb Raider?
    Unfortunately I've kind of lost faith in collector's editions

Things like a mini art book are pointless because an art book is all about celebrating the art, not about reducing gorgeous high resolution concept art onto these small pages where all detail and grandeur and awesomeness of the art is completely lost. You need a full size art book to do it justice.

I see no soundtrack in that Deus Ex poll, so hopefully that means the soundtrack will have a physical release as game merch. One of the things that gets into collector's editions are soundtracks or soundtrack samplers. I'm more than happy to see a soundtrack in a collector's edition, but I'd rather it wasn't included because I believe the soundtrack is important enough and has enough widespread appeal to be a piece of general merchandise. As for the idea of soundtrack samplers, not a fan. It's the same concept as the art book. Don't put into a collector's edition a poorer version of what something would be if it was a piece of general merchandise.

What should go into a collector's edition is something really special that would not otherwise be a regular piece of merchandise. The pin set or the Praxis Kit lunch box in the Deus Ex poll is the perfect example of good items. Also, the other reason they are good is because they are high quality items and they have general collectibility. Not everyone collects or likes statues, for example. Statues are a very specific type of gaming collectible that a lot of people like, and so that type of item should be separate merchandise.

And then there's just the way that the collector's editions are sold. They're snapped up in hours by scalpers and the real fans can't get them because the publishers create such a limited quantity. Scalpers make money, the publisher doesn't make money, and lots of fans are sad because they didn't get one or they paid way too much to a scalper, because they really wanted it. If the publishers manufactured enough - or better, what I really think would work would be if collector's editions were ONLY available by reservation directly from the publisher (and thus the publisher could gauge numbers for manufacturing) - the scalpers wouldn't be able to take advantage of their fellow gamers (shame on them), the publisher would make more money, and all the fans would be happy.

Sorry for the small rant on this subject... I don't mean to be negative... I just think there has to be a much better way to do collector's editions in today's market that really puts collector's editions back into the hands of the fans, in every aspect, from what's included to how they are sold.
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

it will depend on sales.. if it doesn't sale well (Which currently it's not doing so well on the pre-order side since it is limited to one brand) then their likely wouldn't be a collectors edition. If it sales well, which is up in the air..(If PS4/PC , if there is a release, comes out more than 4 months after xbone, then demand will be pretty low as Uncharted fro PS4 will be right around the corner and a huge portion have vowed to wait until it is bargin bin or used before making the purchase)... they could I suppose try to recoup sales losses late 2016 with a super definitive edition or some such...they certainly won't put out a collectors editon early on on only one system...

Quote Originally Posted by medievil1 View Post
    if it doesn't sale well (Which currently it's not doing so well on the pre-order side since it is limited to one brand)
    Yes totally agree re: only one system, so pre-orders will be lower. But I can also imagine that people are waiting for collector's edition to be announced before they pre-order It's always good to kick off pre-orders with the collector's edition, if you are doing one, otherwise I think you have a lot of people who are waiting to find out. And I do think that Xbox will want a collector's edition. With all the support they are giving the game because it's their exclusive, I can't imagine Microsoft/Xbox not making a collector's edition for the game's debut. After all, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a major part of their current campaigns.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Relight-TRHQ View Post
    Yes totally agree re: only one system, so pre-orders will be lower. But I can also imagine that people are waiting for collector's edition to be announced before they pre-order It's always good to kick off pre-orders with the collector's edition, if you are doing one, otherwise I think you have a lot of people who are waiting to find out. And I do think that Xbox will want a collector's edition. With all the support they are giving the game because it's their exclusive, I can't imagine Microsoft/Xbox not making a collector's edition for the game's debut. After all, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a major part of their current campaigns.
    M$ may, I just don't see CD doing it...but then who knows, I would have never thought they would make the asinine deal they made to begin with... lol

And then there's just the way that the collector's editions are sold. They're snapped up in hours by scalpers and the real fans can't get them because the publishers create such a limited quantity. Scalpers make money, the publisher doesn't make money, and lots of fans are sad because they didn't get one or they paid way too much to a scalper, because they really wanted it. If the publishers manufactured enough - or better, what I really think would work would be if collector's editions were ONLY available by reservation directly from the publisher (and thus the publisher could gauge numbers for manufacturing) - the scalpers wouldn't be able to take advantage of their fellow gamers (shame on them), the publisher would make more money, and all the fans would be happy.

Sorry for the small rant on this subject... I don't mean to be negative... I just think there has to be a much better way to do collector's editions in today's market that really puts collector's editions back into the hands of the fans, in every aspect, from what's included to how they are sold.
    Amen to that. And if it's not bought by scalpers it's by mom and pop game shops who break it up and sell everything in it individually, which can make getting the full set either hard to get or even more expensive. I've seen that a lot.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by medievil1 View Post
    I would have never thought they would make the asinine deal they made to begin with... lol
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    And if it's not bought by scalpers it's by mom and pop game shops who break it up and sell everything in it individually, which can make getting the full set either hard to get or even more expensive. I've seen that a lot.
    Yup, definitely, seen that too.
    signature image

(...) Don't put into a collector's edition a poorer version of what something would be if it was a piece of general merchandise. (...)
    In a way, I totally agree with your post, but then again what should go into a Collector's Edition? Like you said yourself, I too would rather have full blown artbooks and soundtracks available for sale separately, much like action figurines, so that doesn't really leave a whole lot of options for CE items.

The replica weapon in that DXMD poll makes me a little worried though if it's fullsize, I'm not sure we could get away with importing something like that. Customs are very obnoxious and not only I'd be taxed for kingdom come, I'd probably also have to fill in a lot of paperwork to get clearance on something that looks like an actual weapon. That is considering they would not simply confiscate it, of course...

I will also say I wasn't too fond of the TR2013 CE as a whole, but looking back I don't think any of the previous TR CE's were amazingly impressive.

what should go into a Collector's Edition? Like you said yourself, I too would rather have full blown artbooks and soundtracks available for sale separately, much like action figurines, so that doesn't really leave a whole lot of options for CE items.
    Yeah, good point.

I will also say I wasn't too fond of the TR2013 CE as a whole, but looking back I don't think any of the previous TR CE's were amazingly impressive.
    I LOVED the tin

My favorite CEs are the Blizzard CEs because they have my favorite stuff in them. They always have a full art book (printed very nicely, not like the cheap quality Witcher 2 art book - my CE on that got damaged, so I returned it and never looked back) and a full soundtrack CD. What more could I want? And they were doing this long before art books started receiving more widespread general release by publishers like Dark Horse and Titan in the last few years, which is a trend I'm so thankful for. As an art book and soundtrack lover, I used to buy just the WoW CE contents separately on eBay, but I've now taken to buying them on release because the boxes are so pretty. I don't actually play WoW but Blizzard is amazing in their branding, their packaging and their artwork, so top marks all around. What was the question?
    signature image

I'm so surprised they still haven't announced a CE. I'm waiting on it before I preorder the game and a nice Yes or No would be very helpful, CD.

Ya know, that was the first CE that ever caught my eye. Not only because it was TR, but because to me it just seemed loaded. It looked like you got a lot of bang for the buck. It seemed cheaper to get that for all the merch in it (which is all stuff I'd buy separate) than to track down every piece of merch in it and purchase them individual. Maybe they should've called it "Bargain Box" as opposed to CE.

I never did get it (currently eyeing it online, tho), but it's the first one that made me take an interest in CEs.
    signature image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast