Page 3 of 13 First First 1234567 ... Last

Thread: DX:MD - COLLECTORS EDITION & MERCHANDISE-NEW:Unboxing the Collectors Edition!

DX:MD - COLLECTORS EDITION & MERCHANDISE-NEW:Unboxing the Collectors Edition!

Originally Posted by Lady_Of_The_Vine
    Is this a hint that we may see another DX novel from James Swallow?

Hehe, good to have you back, Mr Swallow.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

As previously mentioned, Musterbrand clothing isn't overpriced - its fairly average.
    Being the same price as your "average" designer clothing doesn't make it not overpriced, because other designer clothing is also overpriced. I have vaguely noticed the RRP on some items, but it's not like I go looking for it because unlike the people who generally buy this kind of stuff, I'm not trying prove something or fill a void in my life with prohibitively expensive clothing. Given that the average US citizen barely makes over $500 a week, these things are unrealistically and obscenely expensive. It's kind of hilarious that they would make it for Deus Ex, a game about the wealthy trodding on the poor and disenfranchised. Especially hilarious given that all this stuff is made in China like everything else, and probably isn't any higher quality than all the stuff on those cheap Asian fashion websites. It certainly looks like the exact same stuff.

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/wizikorea...pid.1033976400

EDIT: LOLOLOLOLOLOL, this is listed under the features of every Deus Ex item on that site:

Originally Posted by Musterbrand
    Deus Ex Access Pass - Unlock exclusive game content with the DXU companion app
    What is brand integrity? Clearly nobody at Eidos Montreal knows. The worst part is this kind of stuff is exactly the sort of subtle, fashionable merchandise I wish more games would have. But the prices are a laugh and a half.
    Last edited by Shralla; 12th Jul 2015 at 19:15.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

If your argument is that ALL designer clothing is over-priced, then that is a fair pov - though perhaps you wouldn't consider it overpriced if you were earning a higher income. When we have plenty of spare cash, we spend it. When we don't, we're more thrifty. When I mentioned the RRP on the labels, it was in response to you comment that you hadn't taken any notice of what designer clothing costs in department stores. TK Maxx always has the original price on their tags so I was surprised you had no idea.

I'm not sure why you think people who choose to buy branded clothing are doing so to "prove something" or "fill a void in their life". What a strange conclusion to make. Again, I imagine most people buy clothing with the intention of wearing it. This means they're making a purchase based on the fact that they like the design.

The clothing may look the same but the quality can be different on the cheap fashion sites you speak of. It all depends, of course. You can find this clothing on eBay too. My friend purchased a couple of items a while back and was very disappointed with the material and the stitching.

I'm also not sure why you find it hilarious to see DX merchandise available based on the wealthy vs poor argument. It is a video game, not a political party. It is product merchandise and it's there if you fancy it.
    signature image

Fyi, everyone!!!
    If they put the entire story in alternate media again I shall be beyond miffed. I shall have to be cross with Squeenix.

That was annoying enough the last time. We got saddled with a load of underdeveloped characters that all had only the flimsiest of justifications for being in the game. Nothing about any of the main enemies was ever really explained. Barrett got the most development in the form of e-mails in the FEMA facility.

Originally Posted by JMSwallow
    BTW, the above rant was not directed at you personally. You were cool about this book thing the last time around. I hope to see you return to field more book-related questions in the future.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

I don't want to get into a huge debate, but the gist of my issue is that Deus Ex was art. Now, it's a product. There is a noticeable difference between the way the two are treated, and while I understand the nature of the modern gaming industry, it doesn't keep me from disappointment.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Originally Posted by Irate_Iguana
    If they put the entire story in alternate media again I shall be beyond miffed. I shall have to be cross with Squeenix.

BTW, the above rant was not directed at you personally. You were cool about this book thing the last time around. I hope to see you return to field more book-related questions in the future.
    *looks at wristwatch* Well, that didn't take long...

For the record: the "entire story" of Deus Ex: Human Revolution appears in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The additional narrative elements that I wrote into the Icarus Effect novel are exactly that - additional - as they will be with the new novel and its relationship to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Just like the stuff in the comic, the Missing Link DLC, The Fall mobile game and so on.

Nothing is deliberately cut out of the main narrative to force you to purchase other media. Everything other than the game itself exists as a satellite product that orbits around the game, to support and enrich its storyline and world.

Everything other than the game itself exists as a satellite product that orbits around the game, to support and enrich its storyline and world.
    Marketing!

Originally Posted by Shralla
    I don't want to get into a huge debate, but the gist of my issue is that Deus Ex was art. Now, it's a product. There is a noticeable difference between the way the two are treated, and while I understand the nature of the modern gaming industry, it doesn't keep me from disappointment.
    I don't wish to get into a huge debate either, but some of your comments are so utterly ridiculous that I find myself questioning what you're saying in an effort to see if I can understand where you're coming from.

So.... you're saying the original DX was art and now it has become a product? Hmm, I agree the original DX is art, but it was a product also, obviously. Times have changed, for sure, but I think its fair to say that if the original was released today, we would see plenty of merchandise to go with it. What would be so disappointing about that? I would have loved to have got my hands on some original DX goodies back then... other than a poster.

Originally Posted by 68_pie
    Marketing!
    And your point is....?
    signature image

some of your comments are so utterly ridiculous
    Pot. Kettle.

And your point is....?
    It would be nice if he spoke like a human being.

Originally Posted by 68_pie
    Pot. Kettle.
    Such as?
    EDIT: What's taking you so long to back up your statement? This thread only contains 3 pages so far.

It would be nice if he spoke like a human being.
    Afaik, he is a human being.
    Last edited by Lady_Of_The_Vine; 13th Jul 2015 at 16:38. Reason: added edit
    signature image

*looks at wristwatch* Well, that didn't take long...
    Of course not. It's kinda in the name. Fury only works when it's fast. You need to vent anger while the iron is hot.

Nothing is deliberately cut out of the main narrative to force you to purchase other media. Everything other than the game itself exists as a satellite product that orbits around the game, to support and enrich its storyline and world.
    Then why do Barrett, Fedorova and Namir exists as giant question marks in the game while their wiki pages are pretty detailed? You have to agree that it is quite odd that most of your antagonists receive no background information and character building in the game. I'm not suggesting that marketing has some sort of plot to force us to buy other products (they'd totally do it; most marketing people are evil enough for that). You should never attribute to malice what can be accurately contributed to laziness. It all came across as "that stuff is already explained elsewhere, why should we bother writing it again?" It makes everything after your visit to Hengsha weird and disjointed.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Originally Posted by Spyhopping
    I was given this when I visited EM a while back. Thought it was pretty fun and didn't cry out "I'm a DX fan".

Well... clothes are great for me as collector but this thing, definitely NO. I expect something a little more extraordinary for DX. And obviously a Art Book, not digital please, I like real books.

EDIT: What's taking you so long to back up your statement? This thread only contains 3 pages so far.
    An explanation seemed kinda superfluous.

You mean you are unable to provide any explanation.
    signature image

There's so much tenacity on this thread! Sheesh!

I just think, overall, the Collector's Edition should come with something totally badass and unique. Not something that can easily be replicated and mass-produced for a cheaper price. That would be very poor on the public's behalf to choose non-quality items.

And I'm totally going to get the Rider Jacket and one of those nifty scarfs on the clothing site. Hate on it.

Everything there is badass and unique.
    Anything can be replicated and mass-produced for a cheaper price... but they won't be officially endorsed, thus rendering them worthless to a collector.
    Every individual can vote, meaning that it is the public who choose the items.
    I don't believe any of the merchandise can be described as non-quality.
    signature image

But surely you can make a simple observation and conclude that an actual life-size replica weapon from the game is in every way a much more unique and badass, not to mention someday valuable prize. That's what you're missing!

The huge fans such as myself are dying to get something seriously worth-while.

I'm just trying to get you to see my point of view and understand the simplicity of which I'm saying.

Of course I get your point of view; I'm not sure why you think I don't.
    I like the life-size replica weapon too.... as I said earlier, I would like to own everything.

The simple fact is; not everyone will vote for an item because of its potential monetary worth. Some things of less value give just as much pleasure. Its subjective and that's why everyone has the opportunity to vote.

I am fairly certain that the majority of people here and on other DX forums will consider themselves 'huge fans' too. If they didn't choose the life-size weapon; that doesn't mean they're any less of a fan than you consider yourself to be.
    signature image

ahh...'huge fans' -> 'huge emotions' ! one can't simply measure the size of 'devotion' or 'taste' of fans...a life-size replica would be awesome; but a bummer when expensive or otherwise; cheap in the making...i often tend to point out, that most CE additions are not that useful ( how many lanyards do i really need ? ) and my proposals are still ingnored: tachikoma usb-hub, fullmetal alchemist spice rack, etc. ! the most useful item by now would be the lunch box option...but, what about some nice 'DX:MK EMP Grenade - Power Banks' to fuel your phones or likewise stuff?
    signature image

Originally Posted by handgriffsorgfaeltig
    the most useful item by now would be the lunch box option......but, what about some nice 'DX:MK EMP Grenade - Power Banks' to fuel your phones or likewise stuff?
    As the Omar would say; great minds think alike. I would totally love an EMP grenade phone charger.
    signature image

DE:MD Merchandise You'd Like to See

What Deus EX merchandise are you hoping for? For HR I got a shirt and bracelet, and have always wanted the Adam action figure.

Would love to see more for MD-especially that Comic Con Adamu lol. A series of Funko Pops would be super cool.

And leggings. All about them leggings.

Originally Posted by GameOfJones
    A series of Funko Pops would be super cool.
    :|

Those things are super lame. They're what grandmas get for their grandkids when they only vaguely know what they like, because they can walk into a store that carries them and be like "My granddaughter likes, what is it called? Broken Bad?" and not have to put any more thought or effort into it. It's the minimal amount of effort a company could possibly put into producing licensed merchandise as well, and they sell them for a ridiculous price because aforementioned grandmas are only getting one gift anyway. It's the epitome of cheap, mass-produced, pop culture crap.

That said, whatever floats your boat, opinions, etc.

Look. The good stuff isn't going to be cheap. You can't be a cheapskate and expect to get something completely and utterly badass.

If it's of serious worth to you, you're going to be willing to throw down a little extra.

What can I say? I'm more than willing to do what's necessary to get that combat rifle!

I want the MORE badass of all of the options. I get that there's going to be a cost, but I'm not necessarily here to put a limit to my desires. The artwork for Deus Ex is beautiful. That's putting it lightly too. I want something that could be of worth some day.

Like I said; why would I want something I could have made on eBay for a smaller price?
    Last edited by LiteralMaggot4Life; 17th Jul 2015 at 22:37.

(click image to enlarge)

If you desire something that might be valuable some day, the last thing you would do is buy a fake on ebay.
    And let's face it; the most valuable items are the one's that are extremely limited, unique/rare. Several thousands of CEs will be sold, so it seems unlikely than any content will be as valuable as you anticipate.

Good luck with your vote though. I have voted for what I like best - the Praxis lunch box and the pin set.
    Last edited by Lady_Of_The_Vine; 18th Jul 2015 at 10:44. Reason: punctuation
    signature image

Page 3 of 13 First First 1234567 ... Last