Thread: Observations That I have Noted Thus Far.

Observations That I have Noted Thus Far.

My write-up on episode two is now three parts complete. It is a long and arduous undertaking but I am slowly getting there. I originally intended to include at the end of it a section which I find to be of particular interest. It deals mainly with trivia and focuses on the many references made to film and television, myths, legends, and literature that can be found within the game. But because of the length of my episode two write, I have decided to post it independently of that and pool them all together here to give it its own dedicated space - so to speak.

I don't know if anyone took any notice of my previous two posts on the subject of mythology and symbology and how they have been incorporated in the game, but as I am now thinking, they might prove to be more significant than what I first deemed them to be. I have found many other examples besides ancient myth or legend that I want to share just to highlight a possibility that they may in fact be bona fide clues which points the finger of truth in particular directions or toward certain people.

See what you think.

The "All Seeing Eye"

I have found in three places.

1. Girls toilets at Blackwell.

2. Inside Chloe's truck.

3. On the wall in the building at the junk yard.

"Hole to another universe."

This graffiti I have also found in three places.

1. In the parking lot next to the diner.

2. In Chloe's bedroom.

3. Inside Chloe's truck.

There may be more, but if there are I haven't yet found them.

"I'd rather have a life of 'oh wells' than 'what ifs.'

This quote is from an unknown author. "Life is Strange" was originally going to be called, "What if." This graffiti can be found in Chloe's room, but I know for a fact that there are other examples scattered about here and there.

The name Arcadia comes from ancient Greece and was home to the Greek god, Pan, who lived in the forest. Inside the "Two Whales Diner" there is a poster just inside the doorway about a housing development whose headline reads. . .

"Welcome to Pan Estates. Prescott development invites you to live within the woods."

Mr. Prescott is certainly no god, but clearly he is a man of influence and power, just as Pan was.

Caulfield.

Max shares the same surname as J D Salinger's protagonist in his controversial 1951 novel, "The Catcher in the Rye." The story centres around Holden Caulfield and deals with teenage angst, alienation, and identity.

Frank Bowers.

A loose connection here. But Frank just happens to be the name of the six-foot bunny in "Donnie Darko."

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Inside Max's journal. A quote from "Lord of the Rings." Refers to the character of Aragorn, the only true heir remaining who can claim, by right, the throne of Gondor.

"Three meters above the sky."

Inside Max's journal. A Spanish film concerning the story of two young people who belong to different worlds! Hmmmm!!

And now for the best of them all! These are fiendishly simple to overlook, but heck! They might speak volumes of two particular people, or they are there just as a 'tip of the hat' reference. I still am not so sure, but sheesh! It's certainly food for thought.

There are many cars to be seen in the parking lots of Arcadia Bay. You wouldn't really take much notice of them would you? But if you stop a moment and study all the number plates, then suddenly things start jumping out at you and you kick yourself for not noticing sooner.

Let's start with Chloe's truck. This license plate reads. . .

TWNPKS.

As you can see, all the vowels have been removed leaving only the consonants. This is the same for all the other licence plates. If you then reinstate the missing vowels you come up with "Twin Peaks," which, of course, is a reference to David Lynch's serialised drama of the same name. The story centres on the murder of Home Queen, Laura Palmer, and the FBI investigation into her murder. As the investigation delves deeper it exposes and uncovers the seedier side of all the people who are under investigation. The result of all this was, people who initially were seen as innocent was revealed to have an inner darkness and actually lead double lives. Where have we heard that before?

In addition. There is also another reference to "Twin Peaks." This can be found in the ladies toilet inside the "Two Whales Diner" and as it happens, is an optional photo opportunity as well. On the mirror there is some graffiti which reads. ."Fire Walk With Me." This refers to the prequel of the drama series.

The parallels to "Life is Strange" are obvious to me. And incidentally. . .has anyone yet thought hard about why Chloe's hair and the butterfly seen in the toilet are both blue? Quite a stand out colour don't you think?

Oh come on now!

THXFLS.

Any takers on this one? This is the plate on Warren's car. Yet again the vowels are missing and if you put them back you get "The X Files."

TRDTCTV.

This is the plate on the car inside the garage at the Madsen household. Any ideas on this one? Remember the vowels? You work it out.

Clue: It's what Madsen probably sees himself as being.

Here are a few more examples before the big bang!

PRKSNRC: "Parks and Recreation."

THWR: "The Wire."

CRNVL: "Carnivale."

BFFVMPRSLR: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

TWLGHTZN: "Twilight Zone."

THSPRNS: "The Sopranos."

BRKBD: "Breaking Bad."

BRDCHRCH: "Broadchurch."

QNTMLP: "Quantum Leap."

THPRCTC: "The Practice."

SXFTNDR: "Six Feet Under."

As you can clearly see, they are all from popular television series' and most are based on either fantasy, or science fiction. In the case of the vehicles belonging to Chloe, Warren, and Madsen, they are all rather fitting and perhaps pertinent that their licence plates should reflect certain aspects of their character or personality. But as flip side it may well be opposite of who they actually are? Yikes!

And now for the finale!

First let me just mention that this particular licence plate is barely readable in the gloomy light it is set in, but nonetheless, and if I am right, it is a bit disturbing. At the end montage of episode two we see Principal Wells leaning into an open car window talking to Jefferson, who, we must assume owns the car which he is sitting in. When the car drives off we get a brief glimpse of the license plate at the rear of the car. Have a closer look the next time you play it and see what you think?

TPFTHR ?

The odd thing to note here, is I can see another letter that doesn't make much sense when it is added to the others.

TPFTH L R.

It looks like an L.

but it might well be an E.

TPFTHER ?

But like I said. . .it's fiendishly difficult to see it properly.

If we assume it is an (E) it will turn out to be the first inclusion of a vowel and therefore unique in this instance.

For now let's assume it is an (E) and try to make a word or words from what is there. I personally see this as representing the film "The Stepfather," with the exclusion of 'the,' at the beginning. If I am correct then it is the only reference across all the other licence plates that refer to a film instead of a television drama.

If you didn't know. The "Stepfather" is a horror film based around a son who returns home from military school to find his mother happily in love with a new boyfriend. But the boyfriend has a dark past. He murdered his entire family. The son gets more and more suspicious of him as the film progresses until he finally discovers the truth about his not so pleasant stepfather.

Now isn't that an odd thing to attach to Jefferson's car?

Red Herring or not?

While it is true that Dontnod have intentionally placed these 'easter eggs' all across their imaginary town of Arcadia Bay for people like me to find, I can't help but wonder if some of them are actual clues which, although mislead you and perhaps purposely point you in the wrong direction, but have very definite substance within the drama's arena of play.

Dontnod. I salute you.

I'm still not sure.
    Last edited by julietxjules; 20th Apr 2015 at 18:30.
    signature image

Good spots all around! Keep them coming, would love to see more from people on this thread.

Thanks Scott.

People will probably think me as crazy but, I spend hour upon hour just walking around within the game looking for things that have always been there but have gone unnoticed by myself. I know quite a bit about symbols and mythology - I read tons and tons of stuff about the subject in my younger years - so those things were easy for me to spot. But the other things required that your mind-set was in the right state to allow the recognition to take place.

I know there are more, and right at this moment I am trying to piece something together that is proving difficult.
    Last edited by julietxjules; 20th Apr 2015 at 16:37.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post

And now for the finale!

First let me just mention that this particular licence plate is barely readable in the gloomy light it is set in, but nonetheless, and if I am right, it is a bit disturbing. At the end montage of episode two we see Principal Wells leaning into an open car window talking to Jefferson, who, we must assume owns the car which he is sitting in. When the car drives off we get a brief glimpse of the license plate at the rear of the car. Have a closer look the next time you play it and see what you think?

TPFTHR ?

The odd thing to note here, is I can see another letter that doesn't make much sense when it is added to the others.

TPFTH L R.

It looks like an L.

but it might well be an E.

TPFTHER ?

But like I said. . .it's fiendishly difficult to see it properly.

If we assume it is an (E) it will turn out to be the first inclusion of a vowel and therefore unique in this instance.

For now let's assume it is an (E) and try to make a word or words from what is there. I personally see this as representing the film "The Stepfather," with the exclusion of 'the,' at the beginning. If I am correct then it is the only reference across all the other licence plates that refer to a film instead of a television drama.

If you didn't know. The "Stepfather" is a horror film based around a son who returns home from military school to find his mother happily in love with a new boyfriend. But the boyfriend has a dark past. He murdered his entire family. The son gets more and more suspicious of him as the film progresses until he finally discovers the truth about his not so pleasant stepfather.

Now isn't that an odd thing to attach to Jefferson's car?

Red Herring or not?
    Someone on the LiS subreddit made a post about this, and pointed out it was likely TPFTHLK and a reference to "Top of the Lake" which is a movie about a girl going missing and a town full of secrets (IMDB link). This is probably closer than The Stepfather since it fits the pattern of only vowels missing.

Ah! Thank you very much for the clarification. That letter was fiendishly difficult to see unless you could pause the game yet still see the picture. I couldn't decide what I thought that letter was. But "Top of the Lake" is certainly a better fit.

At least I was correct in thinking that it might be an L.
    signature image

The "All Seeing Eye" - Epsiode 1

4. On the Main-Campus -> behind the entrance to the swimmingpool

5. parking area -> backside of the shild "Staff and Visitor Parking Only" (from the entrance straight turn left)

6. in Cloe`s Room

REDRUM

-> MURDER
    Location -> Girls Dormitory, Room 217 slate
    this is from "The Shining"

TV in Victoria`s Room
    -> not a big thing, but can we watch the Movie "Final Fantasy: The Spirits whithin" from SE in a future Episode?
    i have this film only on dvd ^^

Excellent!

Thanks for the additions. I knew about the 'REDRUM' thingy and it's good to see that other people are noticing stuff.
    signature image

we want more of that stuff

license plate in Episode 2

THKLLNG

- The Killing

DNNDRK

- Donnie Darko

GRNDHGD

- Groundhog Day (in German: Murmeltiertag)

THFCLT

- The Faculty

NTHRRTH

- Another Earth

LPHNT
    - Loop Hunt ?? is a game, i think

"Hole to another universe." - Episode 2

4. Girls Shower

BUS 142 - Episode 2

Into the Wild (Book and Movie)

Train 1337

- leetspeak

"I'd rather have a life of 'oh wells' than 'what ifs.'

- in addition to julietxjules entire post, that can be found a second time at the Train-part (outside the small barrack on a wall)

Mystery Clock in Room 102

- in Episode 1, the Clock in Room 102 (Art Class) is ticking all the time
    - in Episode 2 (only 1 Day later) the Clock is not ticking... i hope this is a very mysterious part of the Plot
    .. maybe the time standstill in Episode 4

Funny Camera in the Girls Shower

- it is possible to "sneak a peek" into the righthand Shower
    go into the Shower (which you have use before) and adjust the Camera slowly -> view from above and the Camera goes over the Wall for a second an you can see ..... an invisible Ghost (because someone talks to you from the Shower if you put on the water)

Can we find more things in future episodes?
    Like talk with Warran in Ep 1, Help him in Ep 2, kiss Cloe in Ep 3 -> that gives you the only chance to kiss Warren to.
    You know what i mean ^^,

please please please please more sidequests/tasks/hidden objects
    Last edited by Nox_Dogma; 3rd May 2015 at 22:01. Reason: finished EP2 (again)

Thanks for your contribution. I've seen some of those myself since I posted this thread.
    signature image

"Hole to the universe."

this is NOT "Hole to another universe."