Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: List of things people did not like/liked in DXHR - Thoughts & Suggestions

List of things people did not like/liked in DXHR - Thoughts & Suggestions

List of things people did not like/liked in DXHR - Thoughts & Suggestions

Let's get them all in one thread just to remind Eidos Montreal.
    I'm pretty sure they know about most of them but a little reminder won't hurt.

DXHR was still the best game of the last generation in my opinion which is why feedback will only make Mankind Divided even better.

1. Third person take-downs

1) Not only was playing non-lethal easier than lethal, you got more points for doing it.

2) Annoying third person takedowns. THe most annoying thing was that loud crunching, punching and tossing around and yet simply because it was non-lethal it was considered silent even if done right behind another NPC. I don't need to say your flashy animations umpteen million times. At least have the option to disable it. I don't care how awesome you think they are, any animation gets repetitive after awhile. I also don't need to see my guy climbing a ladder. Seriously, even the first Half Life game let you climb ladders without switching views just fine.

3) 10mm was the best sniper weapon in the game

4) I will reiterated, the non-lethal stuff. The entire point of the game is to play how you want to and not everyone in that game is worthy of leaving alive. The developers basically forced you to play that way with the extra points and by making non-lethal the most effective way to play.

5) Bigger levels. This isn't so much of a complaint since the last game was based on the old ty consoles but we have new consoles now with more horsepower. Utilize that and make bigger levels with more interactive stuff in the background. I want to just wander off and get lost sometimes.

1) Third-person takedowns, hands down. Why is it less natural than a game that came out in bloody 2000? Really, I'd even say everything that switched action to third person except for the dialog.
    2) Said takedowns taking away your energy. Sorry, if I'm just hitting a dude, why the heck does it lose the same amount of energy as does being invisible for 7 secs?
    3) Adam ditching his coat during misssions. His coat is awesome. His armor is lame as all hell. Keep the coat.
    4) Non-lethal being way more useful and actually easier than lethal. Sure, enemies could awake them, but how many times did that happen? And you could just bust a cap in their skull and keep the XP. More than that, non-lethal was actually more silent than lethal as well. They need to be on the same page, one should not be easier than the other.
    5) Linear augmentations - you didn't have to choose one or the other, you could just have your cake and eat it. Even Invisible War, as dumbed down as it was, forced you to choose between one of the good things.
    Last edited by JanusDominus; 10th Apr 2015 at 03:56.
    AKA RT on Steam and Count D on old Eidos forums

2. Black and gold cyber-renaissance palette
    3. Poor interaction with the environment
    4. Too little references to the first game
    Last edited by nexusdx; 10th Apr 2015 at 18:37.

1. The game was not challenging enough: Give us tougher choices to make. For example, it was way too easy to get more augmentations. It needs to be tougher and you should never be able to max out everything in one playthrough. You should have to really think into what and where to invest. This doesn't mean having enemies with more health. It's about giving more weight to your choices, those that effect the story and those that effect the gameplay. Any reward you get should feel rewarding, by making it much rarer and getting less of it.

2. The game "promised" a larger scope: I felt that the second act of the game was too short. I really want to travel to more places around the world. I think the original Deus Ex did this really well.

3. Not enough exploration and "world-building" interactions: I wanted to find more secrets in the game, not just by reading through e-mails, but by actually talking to odd people, finding secret rooms with interesting events - things that make the game's world feel larger than just the quest system.

4. As everyone here is saying: Non-lethal being more rewarding. Perhaps having a non-lethal takedown be the noisy one and the lethal being the silent one would have made a big change.

5. Technical: The character animation in DX:HR is all over the place. In conversations it's just bad, while in takedowns it's great.

I actually loved the 3rd person takedowns! They got you a bit more face time with Adam, which was pretty cool. But it was pretty funny that you can break a guys arm, smack him in the face, have him tumbling to the ground and everyone else around is completely oblivious like no sound happened at all.. More actions like the sleeper hold would have been better I think, at least for the stealth takedowns.

I also found it funny that punching a guy straight in the face costs one entire battery, while jumping from a 6 story building and landing safely on your feet emitting crap-tons of electricity doesn't even use any batteries! LOL A little more realism would have helped there.

That game was so damn good it's hard to nit-pick it..

Originally Posted by FarawayMusic
    I actually loved the 3rd person takedowns! They got you a bit more face time with Adam, which was pretty cool. .
    Sigh. Use a browser search engine and type "Adam Jensen images" if face time is what you desire.

I also found it funny that punching a guy straight in the face costs one entire battery, while jumping from a 6 story building and landing safely on your feet emitting crap-tons of electricity doesn't even use any batteries! LOL A little more realism would have helped there.
    Why desire realism here but not during takedown sequences? when it comes to DX, the only excuse I accept is gameplay reasons (most commonly balancing reasons) or technical limitations, but it seems you just want "cool face time".

- Maps were quite small.
    - Dumbed down RPG mechanics. It wasn't bad, just not as good as in previous installments.
    - Lackluster red-green-blue ending.
    - Getting exploration XP for e.g. simply crawling through an air duct feels awkward.
    - You get XP for hacking terminals but not for using keycodes that you found.

Originally Posted by nexusdx
    They were awesome. I loved watching Jensen give some suckers the smack down.

2. Black and gold cyber-renaissance palette
    Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. The art direction in DX:HR is excellent!

4. Too little references to the first game
    Human Revolution is a prequel... xD

I as well actually loved 3rd person take downs. As well I loved the cyber-renaissance feel. It was the 1st thing that caught my eye on HR trailer and I absolutely loved it. As well i actually love dhim not having the coat in missions as his shoulders and body gesture was badly designed for the coated version in game - making shoulders too wide and it annoyed me. Anyway much mentioned 3rd person portions gave a lot to my immersion and added the RPG element. But to the problems I felt being there.

1. 10 mm being only useful weapon. In later play troughs I've forced myself to use something else. Like crossbow, combat riffle, sniper riffle, but all-in-all, 1 weapon being too powerful and being also so tiny. Perfect weapon, when upgraded. Combine this with stealth take downs - game difficulty was not there.

2. really playing non-lethal being that more rewarding ? So to be play a bit more out in open I have to finish DC to end, and take new game with full augs, so i could not care of exp and play truly freely. I played original vanilla with lethal way because I didn't grasp that tap vs hold immediately. And after 2nd play, when I was skilled already, the amount of augs I had at end of game vs 1st game was amusing. Killing should have penalties, true, but the gap was too big, i think.

3. Enemies gave up too quickly looking for me as well their patrol/seeking paths were too short. I did not feel much in danger even in DX difficulty as after all stealth was THIS powerful. I could say even too powerful. And mine template vs. gas/emp grenades combo doesn't even make enemies hostile. *eyebeams*

Other than this i think HR was one of the most perfect games made at time. I do not have the DX1 nostalgia, so I do not want nor need anyone to remake the game in modern graphics. I want new and better modern games instead.

Originally Posted by dlux99
    They were awesome. I loved watching Jensen give some suckers the smack down.
    It's the game not the movie.

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. The art direction in DX:HR is excellent!
    No. No. No.

Human Revolution is a prequel... xD
    So what?

It's the game not the movie.
    So I guess that means you want 1st person cutscenes too because Deus Ex is a game and not a movie? Amirite?

No. No. No.
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Best art direction ever and I am happy that it is back for Mankind Divided! Love that trailer. More black and gold goodness.

So what?
    How can something from the future in Deus Ex (year 2052) that hasn't even happened yet in be referenced in DX:HR (year 2027)? xD

Dude. Seriously.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Best art direction ever and I am happy that it is back for Mankind Divided! Love that trailer. More black and gold goodness.

How can something from the future in Deus Ex (year 2052) that hasn't even happened yet in be referenced in DX:HR (year 2027)? xD
    It is pointless to argue, when people have made their mind about something. #cantkillprogress is what I would say during such moments and move along.
    Last edited by Dvaythavvar; 11th Apr 2015 at 18:04.

#cantkillprogress

Originally Posted by Dvaythavvar
    If i were you, i would not argue with him. Be it games, films or books, anything - for certain fans sequels or prequels are no go and if they accept one, then only as fancier remake in better wrap rather than another story. Evolution of a story or universe is a taboo. #cantkillprogress is what I would say and move along
    Classic "you only want the old game with better graphics" copypasta. That is a facile argument.

So I guess that means you want 1st person cutscenes too because Deus Ex is a game and not a movie? Amirite?
    I don't want any cutscenes. It's a game not movie. You should play not watching cool cutscenes.

Dude. Seriously.
    Paul Denton and his parents, Morgan Everett, Lucius DeBeers, Beth DuClare, Philip Riley Mead, Joseph Manderley, Juan Lebedev, Gunther Hermann, Tracer Tong and many more. You have tons of characters u can put on DXHR. And where they are?

i just hope the developers don't read anything in here .
    on one side we have nostalgia-boner people which they hate everything that made DX:HR Stand-out because it isnt like a 2000 game and on the other side we have people that didn't play the old games and only played DX:HR and they want it to look like other games they've played .

can't we just Enjoy this game for what it actually is ?

Originally Posted by MortalSaw
    i just hope the developers don't read anything in here .
    on one side we have nostalgia-boner people which they hate everything that made DX:HR Stand-out because it isnt like a 2000 game and on the other side we have people that didn't play the old games and only played DX:HR and they want it to look like other games they've played .

can't we just Enjoy this game for what it actually is ?
    And then there are "morons" like me who have played all games, and are likely hated by both camps - the hardcore original fans and HR fans. I like to see good in all 3 (and there was good in all 3 for me), and I just want that with each coming game developers bring the story and game-play to whole new levels without staying in loop of repeating themselves just for the sake of fancier graphics an cash in. I want entertainment in its purest form.
    Last edited by Dvaythavvar; 11th Apr 2015 at 11:33.

This can be said about your own reply as well. You disagree, so rely on some random "copy-pasta" expression. No, it's not facile argument if people go around places and keep saying "we want things exactly like place X, none different at all".
    No one on these forums has ever said "we want things exactly like place X, none different at all" which is why it's a stupid argument. In fact, even those of us who routinely criticise DXHR have leveled criticism at the original game and pointed out areas in which that formula could be expanded upon or improved.

Read this and then get back to me: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=154588

Edit : Very few actually explain why and what they liked on original. Most (see mainly FB DX pages) actually do say they want DX remake and say they dislike later games just because they are not about Danton.
    Again, something that has never been said here. I wouldn't really use Facebook as a bastion of informed opinion.

As for me, I don't really see where DXHR improved upon DX. I expect DXMD to be very similar to HR. I hope they improve upon it and recapture some of what made DX great but my expectations are incredibly low.

As for me, I don't really see where DXHR improved upon DX. I expect DXMD to be very similar to HR. I hope they improve upon it and recapture some of what made DX great but my expectations are incredibly low.
    And I respect that opinion. For me Each game has added something to the story, but of course it is a bit harder to connect dots, when it's a prequel that does not yet connect links. I like to see it as one full story about dilemmas and control, not just singular fragments. However what everyone finds 'great' is different from person to person.
    Last edited by Dvaythavvar; 11th Apr 2015 at 18:00. Reason: Removing off-topic.

Oh me. Please tell me we're not going to suffer through yet another wave of people saying all we want is DX with better graphics. 3000 posts and seven years of punctual discussions and design debate, reduced to "whaa whaa you're nostalgic". How *** condescending can you get?
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

These people are even making Frank lose his rag, no easy feat.
    You are aware you vets are looking in the wrong place for "advancement" of the ImSim-iteration of DX though right? All official DX's from now on are in EM/SE's vision, and their minds cannot be completely swayed it seems. Get back to me when you are ready for the majority of what you have beenfighting for the past 4+ years. Many years of feedback would also have been duly noted, feedback is very valuable to me.

Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    Oh me. Please tell me we're not going to suffer through yet another wave of people saying all we want is DX with better graphics. 3000 posts and seven years of punctual discussions and design debate, reduced to "whaa whaa you're nostalgic". How *** condescending can you get?
    This entire topic is doomed from the start because there is no universal "things people did not like about HR." Literally every point, from the third person takedowns to the complaints about the superiority of non-lethal, can be debated.

This topic serves very little value to Eidos. They're really better off ignoring it. At the very worst, we need some explanations as to why people didn't like whatever, before it is even considered.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

Originally Posted by CyberP
    These people are even making Frank lose his rag, no easy feat.
    You are aware you vets are looking in the wrong place for "advancement" of the ImSim-iteration of DX though right? All official DX's from now on are in EM/SE's vision, and their minds cannot be completely swayed it seems. Get back to me when you are ready for the majority of what you have beenfighting for the past 4+ years. Many years of feedback would also have been duly noted, feedback is very valuable to me.
    Maybe EM should play your gameplay mod (GMDX) and take notes so they can understand the concept and design of immersive sim.

Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity
    Literally every point can be debated.
    False. Games are made up of variables, data, values. Values can be greater than, or less than another value, objectively. Non-lethal/stealth was beyond superior (in terms of xp reward and piss-easiness of the playstyle) than lethal.

Originally Posted by CyberP
    False. Games are made up of variables, data, values. Values can be greater than, or less than another value, objectively. Non-lethal/stealth was beyond superior (in terms of xp reward and piss-easiness of the playstyle) than lethal.
    You're incorrect.

Whether non-lethal was superior to lethal is not the "point" being raised (although, again, you're still incorrect, because it IS debatable, considering that this is a GAME and not an accounting spreadsheet where higher numbers=better--the fact that something has less power does not mean it doesn't have other advantages. There are other reasons why lethal is better than non-lethal).

The point being raised is whether non-lethal being superior to lethal is a bad thing or not. Which is quite debatable.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last