Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: What I Hope To See In This Next Installment...

What I Hope To See In This Next Installment...

What I Hope To See In This Next Installment...

If you are going to give more points for non-lethal take downs than lethal ones then at least make them more difficult and less effective. The non-lethal weapons were bar none the best weapons in the game. The dart gun and non-lethal finishing moves let you cakewalk all the levels (cept that one with the crashed vertibird) and you were rewarded with bonus points for using the easier system. The dart gun one shots everyone including heavily armored guys that take several rounds from any other weapon. Non-lethal take downs not only gave you the extra points but why would you bother using the lethal takedowns anyways? The NPCs were out the entire time you were in the level and they were silent because apparently in Eidos world grabbing someone and flipping them over and smashing them on the ground is less noisy than stabbing someone through the back with a blade.

No more forced third person takedowns. Leave it in first person view or at least have the option for it. Anyone who has played Skyrim with the Enhanced Camera mod can tell you that playing a werewolf in first person view is much more satisfying than in third person. First person takedowns work just fine in Dishonored, Dark Messiah and others. If I wanted to play a third person game I would choose an actual third person game. I don't care about how awesome you think your animations are, don't make me watch them over and over and over again and I don't need to see him climbing a ladder.

Why was the 10mm pistol a better sniper weapon than the actual sniper weapons? Once you got the armor piercing and laser sight upgrades you were a sniper God.

Where are my boob implants? I am half machine anyways so why not go all the way? Why the focus on just the legs and arms and head? Why not have boob missile launchers, DD cup please. Biomechanical testicles that drop exploding caltrops would also be cool.

Give me a reason to invest in extra energy bars. There was literally no reason at all to invest in extra energy bars because everything cost one bar including multi-takedowns. The only thing I invested in was the recharge rate and even that wasn't really all that necessary.

You know what I want to see? Conversations like these:

https://youtu.be/1b-bijO3uEw (Morpheus)

https://youtu.be/7aIXwMc20TE (Leo Gold)

https://youtu.be/FoTeWB7JWIs (Simons and the NSF prisoners)

That kind of mature, sophisticated, well-researched and well-written dialogue is what was sorely missing from DXHR (and most of the promotional material I've seen so far for DXMD). I want actual ideas, actual debates and real human conflict, not just a bunch of characters tossing out the word "transhumanism" a few times to try to sound intelligent before cutting back to another montage of 3rd person cinematic takedowns.

bro i hope that mccann will stop making boring music and will focus on dubstep instead this is the best combat track and it will suit action perfectly why mccann doesnt use it is beyond me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86khmc6y1yE

Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix
    You know what I want to see? Conversations like these:

https://youtu.be/1b-bijO3uEw (Morpheus)

https://youtu.be/7aIXwMc20TE (Leo Gold)

Dat voiceacting doh.

Originally Posted by Avenging_Teabag
    Dat voiceacting doh.
    I'm with phoenix on this. I played this game through and had no qualms about the voice acting. It kind of fits. The dude had a ed up life, he is bioengineered and groomed from birth to be an elite weapon. I didn't expect, or want for, a wisecracking renegade.

There was a lot more life in other characters too. Warrren Spectre said he actually told JC's VO to tone down emotion, less variation in tone. Less drama. It was a brave artistic choice, I think it worked even though some of it was hammy. Though they knew that, the russian sailor's 'I spilled my drink' sound bite in the volume slider menu is testament to that.

You could literally walk past that Morpheaus discussion and you could walk away at any point if you didn't keep talking to it. It went deeper and deeper down that rabbit hole. Same for Leo Gold, you could just blow him away and you would never know there was another way. It really rewarded people who wanted to try something different and think about their actions. You learned stuff, all of the dialogue in those links is legit; the science, the politics, the philosphy. Where was that in Human revolution. I don't think I learned anything new in that game.
    Password's enough, pal. Don't think you know something about the Lady I don't.

I like you, new guy. Keep the truth flowing! You have a lot of jaded worn-out revolutionaries to succeed.

The voiceacting was really, really bad, with occasional half decent bits and occasional slides into "so bad it's good" territory. In the terrorist leader convo they both sound ike cdr. Shepard from the original Mass Effect, only if he was zonked on prozac and also a robot. The conversations were okay, but really nothing more groundbreaking than some of the conversational duels in Human Revolution.

Originally Posted by CyberP
    I like you, new guy. Keep the truth flowing! You have a lot of jaded worn-out revolutionaries to succeed.
    Who's that now @CyberP? OP or myself?

I'm actually a bastard from the old forum. I'm fairly sure Wildcat, Teabag and I have danced this dance before. Maybe you too.
    Lost my moniker in the transfer and it since linked to my PSN gamer tag. 'Iron and Copper' they used to call me. Anyway to get that back? I miss it.

The voiceacting was really, really bad, with occasional half decent bits and occasional slides into "so bad it's good" territory. In the terrorist leader convo they both sound ike cdr. Shepard from the original Mass Effect, only if he was zonked on prozac and also a robot. The conversations were okay, but really nothing more groundbreaking than some of the conversational duels in Human Revolution.
    The conversation "duels" and the social aug were an interesting feature, one of the few truly innovative and groundbreaking aspects of DXHR's design. And the voice acting in DXHR is uniformly better than DX1 (even though, in my opinion, Jensen's constant Clint Eastwood growling gets stale in a hurry).

I'm not talking about voice acting, though. I'm talking about content. If you honestly think there is even a single moment in the entirety of DXHR that outshines the Morpheus conversation, or the Leo Gold discussion, or the interrogation of the NSF prisoners in terms of intellectual content....then I'm just going to have to walk away and do something else, because I can't help you.

And the voice acting in DXHR is uniformly better than DX1 (even though, in my opinion, Jensen's constant Clint Eastwood growling gets stale in a hurry).
    It's kinda sad that everyone except Jensen had life in their voices. Elias' voice is great for Jensen, but it shouldn't be like a straight line the whole time (it's like the crew was unfamiliar with the meaning of intonation).

Originally Posted by zwanzig_zwoelf
    bro i hope that mccann will stop making boring music and will focus on dubstep instead this is the best combat track and it will suit action perfectly why mccann doesnt use it is beyond me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86khmc6y1yE
    Sorry, but Skrillex music is generic. I get to hear the beat in every popular piece nowadays. HR or Splinter Cell music, on the other hand, I'm listening till this day with passion.

But how come you think HR had boring music? IMO it has a nice epic tune that suggest about the end of the world. Not to mention how the intro credit soundtrack can actually get you interested in the game (talking from personal experience).

Originally Posted by CHERNO-B1LL
    Who's that now @CyberP? OP or myself?.
    You. I was going to acknowledge OP's post but he started going on about augmented sexual organs that fire rockets and such.

You can get your old profile back if you simply scroll up.

The conversation "duels" and the social aug were an interesting feature, one of the few truly innovative and groundbreaking aspects of DXHR's design.
    It's depressing how impressed so many people are with the conversations in DXHR. Just look at the conversations in any Obsidian game (or any RPG in general) and you'll find far superior "duels" that require you to understand and read your "opponent" in order to be successful.

Alpha Protocol in particular.

And the voice acting in DXHR is uniformly better than DX1 (even though, in my opinion, Jensen's constant Clint Eastwood growling gets stale in a hurry).
    Well, it wasn't that hard.

I'm not talking about voice acting, though. I'm talking about content. If you honestly think there is even a single moment in the entirety of DXHR that outshines the Morpheus conversation, or the Leo Gold discussion, or the interrogation of the NSF prisoners in terms of intellectual content....then I'm just going to have to walk away and do something else, because I can't help you.
    This.

Originally Posted by 68_pie
    It's depressing how impressed so many people are with the conversations in DXHR. Just look at the conversations in any Obsidian game (or any RPG in general) and you'll find far superior "duels" that require you to understand and read your "opponent" in order to be successful.
    Never played alpha protocol and not a fan of RPGs in general. it doesn't matter anyway because Deus Ex is not an RPG and never has been.

Originally Posted by CyberP
    You can get your old profile back if you simply scroll up.
    Cheers. It's actually embarrassing how excited I get when I find people who know and love the original the way I do. Even Teabag who disagree's with me on everything seems to be a reasonable enough sort. I need a life.

Anyway 'scroll up'? What's this now? Scroll up where?

Originally Posted by CHERNO-B1LL
    Anyway 'scroll up'? What's this now? Scroll up where?
    Information For Eidos Forums Members

Up there, written in red colour

because Deus Ex is not an RPG and never has been.
    Then, what is it?

Sandbox action/adventure?

Never played alpha protocol and not a fan of RPGs in general. it doesn't matter anyway because Deus Ex is not an RPG and never has been.
    The original Deus Ex was an immersive sim.

I asked JFD what genre DXHR was and he said "action-RPG".

I asked JFD
    Who?
    what genre DXHR was and he said "action-RPG".
    Eh. It's an rpg to the same extent Far Cry 3&4 are, i.e., not very. It has some rpg ruffles, but what doesn't nowadays?

I wouldn't call HR an RPG, not because it lacked many features associated to tabletop, but mostly because it wasn't balanced to be one. Level designs, although more interesting than standard modern FPS, were not built for a customized RPG experience in the traditional sense.

Although not exclusively a size issue, the problem of small levels is the alternate path, or pillar, is always one step around the corner. I'm so used to exploring that by the time I tried to access "pillar B", I had already come across pillar A, C and D, rendering any kind of RPG element completely useless.

I like that they went out of their way to add more paths, but I maintain the "pillar" approach was a misunderstanding of DX's custom experience. In its own way, Far Cry 3 compounds gave more space for emergent gameplay, even by offering strictly a violent approach.
    Last edited by FrankCSIS; 10th Apr 2015 at 17:13.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Who?
    Jean-Francois Dugas. Executive Director at EM.

Yeah HR was definitely a Stealth/Action RPG-lite. And indeed DX1 was an Stealth/Action RPG Immersive Sim.

it doesn't matter anyway because Deus Ex is not an RPG and never has been.

(click image to enlarge)

I must be getting old, but these "someone is wrong on the internet" moments more often than not are seen as unimportant. Why should I bother correcting you, proving something to you? "I'm not a fan of RPGs" might as well mean "I'm not a fan of interesting games", at least to me. So be on your way, but do know that I disagree as well.

This is the best conversation in the game (specifically JC's).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_CUM6ocLTI#t=18m

I also like Paul's smart dialogue.

Originally Posted by AdrianShephard
    This is the best conversation in the game (specifically JC's).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_CUM6ocLTI#t=18m

I also like Paul's smart dialogue.
    I missed those conversations. It just seemed like there was a metric ton of voiced dialog. Nowadays you'd be grateful if they gave two different AI barks when you talk to them.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Originally Posted by xaduha3

(click image to enlarge)

I must be getting old, but these "someone is wrong on the internet" moments more often than not are seen as unimportant. Why should I bother correcting you, proving something to you? "I'm not a fan of RPGs" might as well mean "I'm not a fan of interesting games", at least to me. So be on your way, but do know that I disagree as well.
    Please tell me more how the only interesting games are the games you like. Jesus Christ.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last