Page 4 of 13 First First 12345678 ... Last

Thread: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided -Announcement/Gen Discussion - NEW: DXMD @ No1 UK Charts

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided -Announcement/Gen Discussion - NEW: DXMD @ No1 UK Charts

Originally Posted by 68_pie
    I liked Legacy quite a bit although it had too much combat. Underworld had some great environments but it was a bit wonky. Something about Anniversary didn't click with me and I have never figured out why. Maybe just that it is a remake.

2/1/3/L/4/U/A/C/TR/AoD
    It's Legend. Too much combat with humans or generally?

So you like TR classics more, nice. Are you a fan of TR or did you just play games?

Originally Posted by IvanaKC
    Too much combat with humans or generally?
    Both.

I wouldn't say I was a fan but I like the majority of them.

New TR's are inferior to the technically-simplistic first few games, which had good design yet much room for improvement, much potential that was never met as the series went on, instead quite the opposite. The latest TR game is barely TR at all.
    I quite liked Guardian of Light for what it was though, I'll give CD/SE that.

The new Tomb Raider game was outstanding. The mechanics feel very different, but damn is it good. Also VERY Tomb Raider-y, once you get over the controls. Lots of weaponry, exploration, combat, puzzles, and... tomb raiding.

But I know some will never accept it. And that's cool. I like it when folk's prejudices make them unable to enjoy wonderful things.
    signature image

Both.

I wouldn't say I was a fan but I like the majority of them.
    Thought so, to be honest.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your fav games? Or maybe there still aren't any?

Originally Posted by CyberP
    New TR's are inferior to the technically-simplistic first few games, which had good design yet much room for improvement, much potential that was never met as the series went on, instead quite the opposite. The latest TR game is barely TR at all.
    I quite liked Guardian of Light for what it was though, I'll give CD/SE that.
    The game mechanics had to be changed and LAU trilogy has it superior. Just like any new 3rd person game. There was no camera control at all. The rest actually stayed pretty much the same. And adding physics to the game is definitely an improvement.

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    The new Tomb Raider game was outstanding. The mechanics feel very different, but damn is it good. Also VERY Tomb Raider-y, once you get over the controls. Lots of weaponry, exploration, combat, puzzles, and... tomb raiding.

But I know some will never accept it. And that's cool. I like it when folk's prejudices make them unable to enjoy wonderful things.
    I see that most people either hate the new TR or they adore it. I'm in between. While I enjoyed the control over aiming, there were too many sequences where player doesn't have full control over Lara. Also, tomb raiding is definitely missing.

The latest TR game is barely TR at all.
    Care to explain why?

Thought so, to be honest.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your fav games? Or maybe there still aren't any?
    1 - Fallout 2
    2 - Shenmue
    3 - Grim Fandango
    4 - Day of Defeat
    5 - Deus Ex
    6 - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    7 - Baldur's Gate 2
    8 - Alpha Protocol
    9 - Outcast
    10 - Planescape: Torment

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=124540 or
    http://forums.na.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=124540 (I guess, whichever)

That was 4 years ago, maybe it's time to do it again?

We're gonna need a new copy+paste argument thread.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Originally Posted by Shralla
    We're gonna need a new copy+paste argument thread.
    I reposted the old one. I'm happy to keep it up to date.

Originally Posted by xaduha3
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=124540 or
    http://forums.na.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=124540 (I guess, whichever)

That was 4 years ago, maybe it's time to do it again?
    I think that would be a good idea.

Also, tomb raiding is definitely missing.
    I traversed hundreds of deep dark places, and there were always many human remains. Therefore I call them tombs. As tomb-y as any found in the archives of the series.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    I traversed hundreds of deep dark places
    Please elaborate.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Your...

*tries to hold it back*

Your...

*struggles harder*

Your mom.

*sighs in relief*
    signature image

Ayyyy LMAO. #rekt #scrub

I wish they had killed Jensen. So boring.

I wish they had killed Jensen. So boring.
    The only problem I have with a dull protagonist is the idea that you need to anchor your entire game/franchise around his personality. EM/Square is clearly trying to build their next brand icon (Laura Croft, Agent 47, Kane & Lynch, etc), so future installments in this series are going to be all about how "cool Adam looks!!! omgzorz!" in his trendy jacket or while skewering goons.

Let's face it: DX1 and Invisible War didn't have incredibly compelling protagonists. JC was almost a complete blank slate, with a vaguely filled in backstory that you pieced together from conjecture and throwaway lines of dialogue. But the difference is this: with JC, the developers explicitly stated that they wanted to the player to impose his/her own self on to the character. They wanted you, the player, to immerse yourself in this universe and make your own choices. The idea was to put players in JC's shoes and let them shape his personality (Is he a cold-blooded killer, like Sgt. Kaplan says? A merciful pacifist who gives credits and food to homeless bums? A brilliant, reclusive computer hacker? You decide).

Instead, we now get EM's vision of Jensen crammed down our throats with cutscene after cutscene. They also sold us on 3rd person by telling us we needed to see Adam's augmentation choices changing his body. Okay, I have no problem with that part...except it didn't happen. With guys like Jensen, there is absolutely no need for nanoaugmentation. He can blend into the general populace without a hitch. Meanwhile, the duller aspects of his personality are just emphasized even further by "tough guy" dialogue and idiotic behavior in canned cutscenes.

And as I've said before, JC had much more personality in his dialog options than Jensen ever did. Yeah his character was not as defined from the beginning as Jensen's but as you said that was because JC was supposed to represent YOU in the game world. JC could be a nice guy, a calm guy, a guy about to fly off the handle, a sarcastic ***... Adam is just a tough guy with a heart of gold no matter what options you pick. Even the "***" options are still boring and non-impactful.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

There were FPS games with more than one protagonist, right? Now that would be something. Jensen is here to stay, but a storyline branch, with female protagonist? One can dream...

There were FPS games with more than one protagonist, right? Now that would be something. Jensen is here to stay, but a storyline branch, with female protagonist? One can dream...
    Only if she'd be more like Netanya Keitner. I like badass women in games, but not kind that fantasy games tend to deliver.

Originally Posted by Grimoire
    Thank You from the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Team [video]
    The puppet master marketers at work. Absolutely fascinating.

If this is not the conceptualization of the marketing team and truly something the MD team wanted to express, no catch, then do accept my apologies. I am one doubtful cynical bastard though.

Anyway, too much futile negativity. I'll just wait and see this so-called "progress" when the time comes. I hope I am pleasantly surprised. Thank you for producing a game in this day and age that isn't absolute garbage, but there is much progress to be made.

So far I can safely say the marketing doesn't speak to me one bit, including this friendly stunt. I'm hoping we won't continuously be ignored in their communication plans, but I can recognise it works with a chunk of their hopeful audience.

Edit: BTW, the team has every right to be happy and proud of the viewcount and the reactions they've witnessed so far. If it energises them for the long, devastatingly harsh final months, good for them. I'd just like to reiterate, because I can, that while millions have viewed the trailer, roughly 15 people have been actively discussing the series in the past 60 months. You'd think the company would free some time in the community manager's schedule for him to properly update this place when news are released. Some of the spybots have a higher post count.
    Last edited by FrankCSIS; 30th Apr 2015 at 02:34.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    So far I can safely say the marketing doesn't speak to me one bit, including this friendly stunt. I'm hoping we won't continuously be ignored in their communication plans, but I can recognise it works with a chunk of their hopeful audience.
    You do remember the marketing for HR, right? From what I have seen so far the plan isn't that different. Carefully controlled marketing Q&A sessions, release of info in rounds to the major gaming press (making all previews read like they were written by a single guy), and the odd video. It worked pretty well for them last time and it won't be different this time around.

In fact, because of last time, I'm getting the feeling that everything is even more controlled by marketing. It feels like the game is much further along the development path and the marketing has been totally planned already.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

The puppet master marketers at work. Absolutely fascinating.

If this is not the conceptualization of the marketing team and truly something the MD team wanted to express, no catch, then do accept my apologies. I am one doubtful cynical bastard though.

Anyway, too much futile negativity. I'll just wait and see this so-called "progress" when the time comes. I hope I am pleasantly surprised. Thank you for producing a game in this day and age that isn't absolute garbage, but there is much progress to be made.
    This post was moved from another thread. Here's the video for context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj9Y...ature=youtu.be

That would be dumb. Are you forgetting that YOU are meant to be the protagonist, the plot influenced by YOUR choices? Are you forgetting that this is meant to be an RPG, with an inventory, aug system and more?
    Last edited by CyberP; 30th Apr 2015 at 13:49.

A great video and I recommended viewing. Love the enthusiasm and passion from the devs and fans alike.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

That would be dumb. Are you forgetting that YOU are meant to be the protagonist, the plot influenced by YOUR choices? Are you forgetting that this is meant to be an RPG, with an inventory, aug system and more?
    I think you forgot we're talking about HR/Mankind Divided, not the original Deus Ex or the ideals it supported.

Page 4 of 13 First First 12345678 ... Last