Thread: does SE USA no longer care about DQ?

does SE USA no longer care about DQ?

does SE USA no longer care about DQ?

i hate to say it but Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Star Ocean are big Square and Enix titles, and it seems SE is giving more love to SO than DQ outside of japan.

it is obvious when you have to actually look for the DQ forum under additional titles, and it not being seen right from the get go on the main forum page.

the last time we had any DQ games released outside of japan was the DQ4-6 ds trilogy, and way back when there was word that DQ7 would be a 3ds title, from what i have heard since, there hasnt been any news on the jp release of DQ7.

and now we have a Theatrhythm DQ game out in japan. do you think we will get it as SE hasnt bothered release DQX out of japan? i mean we got the 2 3ds Theatrhythm FF titles.

SO only has 4 games, and DQ has a TON more, so why is SO getting better treatment? both are Enix titles.

They wouldn't release DQ1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8 on mobile very recently if they didn't care (note that DQ1, 2, 3 have brand new translations). Plus DQH for PS4 (To be released).
    I think they just don't think DQX or the 3DS ones are suitable for localization for some reason.

They don't care enough to localize anything that takes more than a bare minimum of effort and dedication.

Localizing the excellent Dragon Quest 3DS games would require spending a modicum of time and money on something that's NOT a gritty, super-high-production-cost cinematic "western" game that would most totally and doubtlessly earn them billions in revenue.

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander

Dragon Quest Heroes is nice, but it's not going to cut it on its own. It's just a spin-off, a gimmick game. It's not the meat of the DQ series.

Anyone else a Legend of Zelda fan? Imagine if Nintendo of America just completely skipped over Wind Waker HD, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, and Link Between Worlds, and acted like the upcoming Zelda U didn't exist. Imagine the only things they localized were Hyrule Warriors and some cheap, low-effort phone ports of older games like Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, which were inferior to the versions you could get via the Virtual Console.

Because that's how Square-Enix has been behaving with Dragon Quest lately. "Oh, you guys don't really need these wonderfully-made Dragon Quest remakes and new games on the Wii U and 3DS, right? These phone ports of DQ games you can already get better versions of for the DS and a spinoff game that plays nothing like traditional Dragon Quest are enough for you, right? We just don't know if the other games, or you, are worth the effort."

1- Im not sure if they dont bring them because they dont have any faith in DQ or because they just aknowledged the WiiU and 3ds outside Japan (they werent on that survey until people complained about that fact).

2- Dragon Quest Heroes is coming because its a Tecmo Koei game, and TK brings all their games. I'm 99% sure they will bring the newly announced DQH2 too.

3- Theatrhythm DQ still has chances of getting here. Its not a Theatrhythm-styled DQ. Its a DQ-based Theatrhythm. Theatrhythm is a separated series, and we've gotten all the previous titles of that series.

4- They dont care much, but they re-transalted DQ1-3 to fit the post 2004 naming of the series. (eventhough the mobile ports and remakes are only in english, not Multi-5 like we were used to in Europe :< )

My conclusions are that they dont care much because DQ doesnt sell like KH and FF, but they do care a little... just a little to release the mobile ports, not enough to bring actual games fans would buy (as far as i know only we -hardcore fans- are buying the mobile ports).

i personally dont agree with mobile ports for the old FF games or DQ, they dont belong on a tablet or phone! these games were made specifically for an actual video game system. the fact is that video game companies keep porting games to these devices cuz they are supposedly "more" popular, well, the vita would be more popular had SE put out type-0 on it, instead of the ps4/xb1, the vita would be more popular had SE put the DQ collection onto it, as well as the FF collection, the vita would be popular if SE put out Lord of Apocalypse, the sequel to Lord of Arcana on it.

but nope, all either get the mobile treatment or never get ported at all!

i would like to point out, that a lot of older Square/Enix have pretty much been a no show outside of japan lately: take the oddball SaGa series, each game in the series has been a little different from the last, and yet the FF Legend titles were very popular, yet yrs later, when Square started releasing their FF games in the proper titling sequence on the PSX, we find out that the Gameboy FF Legend games were actually the first 3 SaGa games. and then yrs later, word hits that SaGa 2 and 3 got ds remakes... only we never got them. japan did, we didnt, as a result we have to import em, play fan translations of them or play the original black and white, dot matrix gameboy titles which call the games by the incorrect name, just because Final Fantasy was popular back then.

i did hear that there is a new vita SaGa game in the works, and a pc game too. that is great and all but not if they dont make it over here.

as for DQ, i dont think DQ10 really needs to be released over here, i dont consider online games to be part of a series and thing FF11 and FF14 shoulda been called by something other than a numbered title, what this does is reduces the actual main series by 2, and now with the versus 13/ff15 debacle, we have lost a 3rd, as ff15 was supposed to be the next ff game, and not connected to the FNC mini-series in any way, versus 13 was supposed to stand alone with type-0 and ff13, i dont mind if they change the name of versus 13 to something else, they did it with renaming agito 13 to type-0, but to call ff15 the NEXT ff game, when all it really is the fact they spread themselves too thin and caused a lot of drama in the company which caused a LOT of employees to quit their jobs, is just a stupid idea.

they didnt have to do the ff13 sequels, they didnt have to do ff dimensions, they didnt have to do theatrhythm FF (woooo! that they did!), they didnt have to spend time and money fixing FF14, it is nice they wanted to fix it but it cost them time money and manpower and they should left the game in the garbage. they spend all their time on doing all these dumb choices, lose money, and then decide "oh, well we cannot do another DQ or SaGa release anywhere outside of Japan right now), they aren't as popular as Final Fantasy, so who cares...

yet star ocean has 4 games in the series, and all 4 have been released here on the psx, psp, ps3 and 360, have we seen the old dw1-7 games released as dq yet? nope, just dq4-6. and we didnt even know we were gonna get the ds trilogy until a few weeks prior to its release!

i remember when we had release dates for FF that were a good 6-8 months out from the actual release date. back when FF9 got released in japan we had a street date for international release within a couple months. and they used to put out a new FF every couple yrs, now we get sequels, a lot of sequels that are somewhat sub par at times.

i want to play Dragon Quest 7 AND Theatrhythm Dragon Quest on the 3ds, heck they could be releasing that game while we whittle away the days, months and yrs waiting for FF15 to actually be called truly alive and have a street date and release!

Originally Posted by slime_fan
    1- Im not sure if they dont bring them because they dont have any faith in DQ or because they just aknowledged the WiiU and 3ds outside Japan (they werent on that survey until people complained about that fact).

2- Dragon Quest Heroes is coming because its a Tecmo Koei game, and TK brings all their games. I'm 99% sure they will bring the newly announced DQH2 too.

3- Theatrhythm DQ still has chances of getting here. Its not a Theatrhythm-styled DQ. Its a DQ-based Theatrhythm. Theatrhythm is a separated series, and we've gotten all the previous titles of that series.

4- They dont care much, but they re-transalted DQ1-3 to fit the post 2004 naming of the series. (eventhough the mobile ports and remakes are only in english, not Multi-5 like we were used to in Europe :< )

My conclusions are that they dont care much because DQ doesnt sell like KH and FF, but they do care a little... just a little to release the mobile ports, not enough to bring actual games fans would buy (as far as i know only we -hardcore fans- are buying the mobile ports).
    they acknowledged the 3ds, we had KH3d, theatrhythm FF and bravely default after all.

Originally Posted by moooka
    They wouldn't release DQ1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8 on mobile very recently if they didn't care (note that DQ1, 2, 3 have brand new translations). Plus DQH for PS4 (To be released).
    I think they just don't think DQX or the 3DS ones are suitable for localization for some reason.
    and yet they gave us DQ4-6 and 9 on the ds. weird huh?

Ah, wait that's true, they aknowledge the 3ds here. But 3 of the 4 games they brought us are FF or KH games. The other game, Bravely Default, got localized because Nintendo helped.

And no, they gave North-America DQ4 and DQ5. (Ubisoft is the distributor of those two in Europe.) And NINTENDO brought DQ6, DQ9 and DQMJ2 to the West.

What's weird is that they decided to give us the mobile ports/remakes (some are ports like DQ1 and some are remakes like DQ8, which was rebuilt in Unity). Its even weirder seeing them re-translate DQ1-3 (it was indeed needed, not
    expected)

EDIT: reminder that DQ1-3 were first released here in Europe as mobile ports. They had never come here before :/ (DQ7 has never been here yet)
    Last edited by slime_fan; 18th Apr 2015 at 22:24.

this is indeed sad. i wish i still had my copy of dq8.

btw, did anyone ever find and get the dq8 slime ps2 controller? is it odd to use?

I think DQ is a title that has a lot of potential in the US/Europe markets but isn't being given a chance. Bravely Default was a big success in the same genre but going for mobile gaming which seems to be an SE trend is a waste of time with DQ. The platform to hit for best results is the 3DS and get a run of titles there rather than keep switching. I also feel there is too much focus on the side titles of this series in US/Europe than the main series games.