Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two Whales Diner | Off-topic Chat

Thumbs Up Two Whales Diner | Off-topic Chat

Following the tradition of SE game boards having their own off-topic/random threads, I thought it would be nice if Life is Strange had its own thread.

You can discuss anything you like here with fellow Life is Strange players (obviously within forum rules! ).

To get the ball rolling, what other games are you playing when you're not playing Life is Strange?

Well, let's see...I just booted up SimCity 4 Deluxe, before it crashed and I scurried to get a few choice modifications like a launcher with custom resolutions and such.

I recently began a new playthrough of The Witcher 2 in anticipation of the third game.

I recently finished DMC4, managing to protect Kyrie in the "epilogue."

I jumped into ME for a little while and finished up one of the random worlds (the one with the Thresher Maw trap + dead bodies lying around), before moving onto the map and mission where you recruit Liara.

Over the past week or so I've played a bit of Railroad Tycoon 3, the campaign on Hard, advancing through around ten missions so far (haven't beat them all, but I'm going through everything at least once first).

Also reinstalled Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 to try to get into that game, I never got into it when it came out.

I bought Jet Set Radio on Steam quite a while back, but after migrating to a new hard drive what little save info I had was lost, I only in the past couple days tried to play for a little while. However, when I returned to it, my progress hadn't been saved properly...

Also, played a few races of Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed yesterday evening.

That's all within the last week. Most of them I only dabbled in for an hour or two. I'll be honest, Life Is Strange is the only game I have capturing my attention right now. It's a terrible place to be in, with nearing-200-games on Steam (most given to me by a friend, bought cheap), but I'm a teensy bit bored. Little of what I have right now is capturing my attention.

I need another good Eidos third-person action-adventure title (or Deus Ex).
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

Quote Originally Posted by Stellazira View Post
    Following the tradition of SE game boards having their own off-topic/random threads, I thought it would be nice if Life is Strange had its own thread.

You can discuss anything you like here with fellow Life is Strange players (obviously within forum rules! ).

To get the ball rolling, what other games are you playing when you're not playing Life is Strange?
    Well, I play Broforce to make myself laugh because Life is Strange just messes up my emotions and THAT'S HORRIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post
    I need another good Eidos third-person action-adventure title (or Deus Ex).
    I am a HUGE fan of Human Revolution, which got worse when I went to FanExpo Vancouver two years in a row and Elias Toufexis (he voices Adam Jensen) recognized me the second year. I really like it and have played through it at least four times. I'm ashamed to say though whenever I try to play the first Deus Ex I keep getting stuck. I've been told that there's this trick to understanding the AI to be sneaky, but damned if I can figured it out.

I am a HUGE fan of Human Revolution, which got worse when I went to FanExpo Vancouver two years in a row and Elias Toufexis (he voices Adam Jensen) recognized me the second year. I really like it and have played through it at least four times. I'm ashamed to say though whenever I try to play the first Deus Ex I keep getting stuck. I've been told that there's this trick to understanding the AI to be sneaky, but damned if I can figured it out.
    Well that's pretty neat.

I've only played the first level and a little bit of the "open map" of New York in the original Deus Ex, haven't been able to get into it. Never been too keen on first-person games. Human Revolution was a real exception though, marvelous game. I'm looking forward to where they go next with that (Dawn Engine looks gorgeous as might be expected).

Bacon Omlette or Belgian Waffle?

signature image

I can't decide. The omlette for breakfast and the waffles for lunch.

I can't decide. The omlette for breakfast and the waffles for lunch.
    Wise choice.
    signature image

Not a big bacon fan, so it's Belgian waffle for me.

Star Trek or Star Wars?

Answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Not a big bacon fan, so it's Belgian waffle for me.

Star Trek or Star Wars?
    I've always felt that Star Trek would have never succeeded without William Shatner. So the internet has created a marriage made in heaven:
    signature image

^ I lol'd at that pic.

I was never a Star Trek fan, I stopped liking Star Wars, but Babylon 5 means everything to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zackdollars View Post
    I've always felt that Star Trek would have never succeeded without William Shatner. So the internet has created a marriage made in heaven:
    Ha, nice one

^ I lol'd at that pic.

I was never a Star Trek fan, I stopped liking Star Wars, but Babylon 5 means everything to me.
    I've always liked Star Wars more than Star Trek. The uber PC stuff in Star Trek was annoying.

If you haven't watched Star Wars: The Clone Wars, I've been addicted to it. Great series:

signature image

I've always liked Star Wars more than Star Trek. The uber PC stuff in Star Trek was annoying.
    Star Trek was uber PC?! When?

If you haven't watched Star Wars: The Clone Wars, I've been addicted to it. Great series:
    I tried watching the CG Clone Wars. I couldn't stand the dialogue because I thought it was so bad. XD

Star Trek was uber PC?! When?
    I don't know what PC means. PC means computer as far as I know.

^politically correct I'm assuming.

Oh I see. I didn't watch a lot of Star Trek, but I could see it trying to be politically correct. You have a group of a bunch of different species all trying to respect each other, you don't want to be offending anyone.

I did mean politically correct. Star Trek themes are mostly "learning how insensitive humans can be". Star Wars is more of a battle between good and evil. I think the main difference is that Gene Roddenberry doesn't believe that evil exists, and George Lucas does.

I tried watching the CG Clone Wars. I couldn't stand the dialogue because I thought it was so bad. XD
    Sometimes Obi Wan and Anakin Skywalker sound dry in the first season, but the series just gets better and better. If you like Samurai Jack, you will like Clone Wars.
    signature image

Oh I see. I didn't watch a lot of Star Trek, but I could see it trying to be politically correct. You have a group of a bunch of different species all trying to respect each other, you don't want to be offending anyone.
    So a diverse group of characters is by definition politically correctness?

I did mean politically correct. Star Trek themes are mostly "learning how insensitive humans can be". Star Wars is more of a battle between good and evil. I think the main difference is that Gene Roddenberry doesn't believe that evil exists, and George Lucas does.
    The notion that we often see in Star Trek that we all are capable of doing good things as well as evil things is far more interesting than George Lucas' black-and-white cliche approach of inherently "good" vs "evil". With Star Wars the character roles are pretty much straight forward - Han is inherently good (although Han shot first, Mr Lucas! ) and Dark Vader is inherently evil. After a few films that theme just becomes repetitive and boring. Star Trek on the other hand has a wide gradient of good and evil, and often the usually perceived "good" characters turn evil. That's nothing to do with politically correctness, but just a different way of story-telling.

At least that's how I see it

Political correctness is probably the wrong term, but Star Trek is sometimes pretty direct at telling you what's right and what isn't, especially TNG. And Roddenberry's concept of an improved humanity isn't particularly interesting either. That changed only after his influence on the franchise diminished. DS9 wouldn't have been possible with Roddenberry at the helm.

So a diverse group of characters is by definition politically correctness?
    Not at all. I guess I'm doing a poor job of explaining. I guess more groups means more opportunities to be politically incorrect, making it more difficult to be respectful to everyone. Finding ways to respect everyone could provide useful lessons.

Idk. I never really watched Star Trek so maybe I should just be quiet.

Star Trek or Star Wars?
    I've never watched either, but Star Wars always seemed like the more realized universe to me.

And KotOR. That really says it all.

Finished the day at FanExpo!

I wanted to learn how to make armour so I went to a panel. I wish I had the time and the funds to start tackling something like that. I want to learn how to make Legion Commander:

More pics in album: http://imgur.com/a/prcfH#0

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
    Political correctness is probably the wrong term, but Star Trek is sometimes pretty direct at telling you what's right and what isn't, especially TNG.
    Star Wars doesn't try to tell the audience what's right and what's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
    And Roddenberry's concept of an improved humanity isn't particularly interesting either. That changed only after his influence on the franchise diminished. DS9 wouldn't have been possible with Roddenberry at the helm.
    I don't really place any importance of who was at the helm (in the figurative sense that is, heh). I'm not sure I'm following you regarding "improved humanity"; the characters still had many flaws and shortcomings. I think TNG and Voyager were the best series in the franchise. Tried watching a bunch of DS9 episodes but just couldn't get into it. It had little appeal to me.

Not at all. I guess I'm doing a poor job of explaining. I guess more groups means more opportunities to be politically incorrect, making it more difficult to be respectful to everyone. Finding ways to respect everyone could provide useful lessons.

Idk. I never really watched Star Trek so maybe I should just be quiet.
    No, please, do join in. Love to hear as many opinions as possible

Though I am afraid I'm still not sure what you're trying to say

Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post
    I've never watched either, but Star Wars always seemed like the more realized universe to me.

And KotOR. That really says it all.
    What exactly do you mean by "realized"?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast