Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Two Whales Diner | Off-topic Chat

I can't comment on Breaking Bad, having never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Well I guess "glorifying" is not the correct term. TV shows, films, or even news as you mentioned, aren't really glorifying sex/violence/gore/etc. Perhaps a better term would be "depicting".

I think there are a lot of gory videogames. There seems to be a trend lately towards gore in games. Even the latest Tomb Raider game has become pretty damn gory to the point where even I was put off by some scenes :/
    Regarding your first point here, it IS a step beyond mere depiction when that's the focus of television--and it often is, at least the news which WhiteCopy said.

And for the second part I selected here, what scenes did you find gory? I find it incredibly interesting that you wouldn't be bothered by The Human Centipede (which I have not watched, but have heard about) but would be by Tomb Raider.

The only times I felt that way were when Lara was impaled by something (which happened more often than I would care for it to).

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCopy View Post
    Your English seems perfect.
    in fact, it makes me dream and hope after 10 years of forums, writing everyday (apologize in advance...) I get can align two sentences in understandable English!
    Apologies for butting in, but let me say your English is perfectly understandable. You don't need to worry about that.

Obviously it gets better over time, but you can communicate just fine.
    Last edited by EternalAmbiguity; 25th Apr 2015 at 02:09.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

Never watched. I've read the pitch and thought "oh no, another depressive series"
    But it has won a lots of rewards and it must have reasons, so why, what are the reasons for you to find this series so great?
    The characters are spot on. The acting is superb. The story is original and very compelling. Dramatic and clever plot twists that you don't see coming. You're swept into Walter's world and you constantly feel on edge for a fear of him getting caught or killed (so many a time I genuinely went "how the hell could he possibly get out of this one?!"). Super tense atmosphere between him and his wife, which grows episode by episode. A strange dynamic of not knowing whether to love or to hate the protagonist. I could go on...

Your English seems perfect.
    in fact, it makes me dream and hope after 10 years of forums, writing everyday (apologize in advance...) I get can align two sentences in understandable English!
    Heh, I see. Yeah, practice makes perfect. At least that's how the saying goes; I'm not implying my English is perfect

I'm sure that with enough motivation, you'll improve in no time! You're not doing bad, though

I myself have always had a liking for English, even when I was kid, so learning it has always been fun for me.

Yep, the first of a long list of surprises...
    I've heard there are many deaths of main characters still awaiting me. Well, except for Daenerys apparently

Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post
    Apologies for butting in, but let me say your English is perfectly understandable. You don't need to worry about that.
    Obviously it gets better over time, but you can communicate just fine.
    Thank you ! It would be great for me when I'll arrive to put correct English words on my non-English's thoughts and expressions !

The characters are spot on. The acting is superb. The story is original and very compelling. Dramatic and clever plot twists that you don't see coming. You're swept into Walter's world and you constantly feel on edge for a fear of him getting caught or killed (so many a time I genuinely went "how the hell could he possibly get out of this one?!"). Super tense atmosphere between him and his wife, which grows episode by episode. A strange dynamic of not knowing whether to love or to hate the protagonist. I could go on...
    Producers should have ask you for the pitch ! I'll watch the first episode as soon as I can.
    I had the same feeling with "Dexter", always thinking "Now, it's impossible, he's getting caught" and no...

Heh, I see. Yeah, practice makes perfect. At least that's how the saying goes; I'm not implying my English is perfect
    I'm sure that with enough motivation, you'll improve in no time! You're not doing bad, though
    I myself have always had a liking for English, even when I was kid, so learning it has always been fun for me.
    I started learning English there's a long time ago, with "Abba" (no... you can't laught !) and "Everything but the Girl", I was a little, little, girl and (tried to) translated lyrics, I was listening and writing what I heard (... funny things sometimes), took "Harrap's" and searched for similar words... You see the results today
    Promise, I will never do it again !

I was just reading this thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...1037455&page=3) when they mentioned that "Dontnod" is a palindrome.

Oh, snap! I never noticed that before.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by being shown nudity "unexpectedly", though. Can you give an example?
    I've been trying to remember who was involved in that incident during a live music event and a pair were singing on stage and the guy "breaks" the wardrobe of the female singer, revealing a breast. Granted, live is not the same as scripted, but there was WAY too much flipping out after that incident IMO.

I was just reading this thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...1037455&page=3) when they mentioned that "Dontnod" is a palindrome.

Oh, snap! I never noticed that before.
    Hey, that was the first thing I noticed about them. There logo makes it rather obvious if I recall correctly.

School is finished! I'm not practicing with worbla.

Regarding your first point here, it IS a step beyond mere depiction when that's the focus of television
    The focus of television is to glorify things? I think TV is whatever the program that happens to be on is about. I watch a lot of documentaries on TV. Those rarely are about glorifying things.

--and it often is, at least the news which WhiteCopy said.
    I don't have the feeling watching the news that it's about glorifying things. The news is about reporting the facts. At least over here it is; I know that in America a lot of news is about sensationalism, heh.

And for the second part I selected here, what scenes did you find gory? I find it incredibly interesting that you wouldn't be bothered by The Human Centipede (which I have not watched, but have heard about) but would be by Tomb Raider.

The only times I felt that way were when Lara was impaled by something (which happened more often than I would care for it to).
    You just named an example, heh. Yeah, those scenes didn't sit well with me, either. Especially the river one, where the big metal spike went through her throat. Ugh. Had to eventually look away with that one.

Why I'm bothered by TR gore but not THC? I suppose because I'm a long time fan of the TR series and to some extend I care about Lara, whereas THC was just a one-off movie with characters that I didn't really feel a connection with.

Producers should have ask you for the pitch !
    Ha

I'll watch the first episode as soon as I can.
    Cool, let us know what you think of it when you've seen it!

If you're like me, you'll be addicted (pun intended ) within the first few episodes, heh.

I had the same feeling with "Dexter", always thinking "Now, it's impossible, he's getting caught" and no...
    Ah yes, Dexter had some really awesome "how will he get out of this one?" scenes, too. I actually started watching Dexter because of Breaking Bad; I was looking for something similar to watch when I finished Breaking Bad.

If you liked Dexter, you'll love Breaking Bad!

Did you finish all seasons of Dexter? I'd love to hear what you think about some parts, but wouldn't like to spoil anything for you.

I started learning English there's a long time ago, with "Abba" (no... you can't laught !) and "Everything but the Girl", I was a little, little, girl and (tried to) translated lyrics, I was listening and writing what I heard (... funny things sometimes), took "Harrap's" and searched for similar words... You see the results today
    Promise, I will never do it again !
    Heh, nah, I won't laugh. I myself learned English like that when I was a kid, too - for example watching Inspector Gadget with Dutch subtitles

And it's kinda ironic that you learned English by listening to Abba songs; the singers themselves were terrible at speaking English, haha.

"Harrap's"? Is that a dictionary?

Quote Originally Posted by Stellazira View Post
    I've been trying to remember who was involved in that incident during a live music event and a pair were singing on stage and the guy "breaks" the wardrobe of the female singer, revealing a breast. Granted, live is not the same as scripted, but there was WAY too much flipping out after that incident IMO.
    Ah you mean nipplegate. Justin Timberlake popping Janet Jackson's breast out during the superbowl halftime show.

Yeah I remember that 'controversy' well. America lost its collective .

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

The focus of television is to glorify things? I think TV is whatever the program that happens to be on is about. I watch a lot of documentaries on TV. Those rarely are about glorifying things.

I don't have the feeling watching the news that it's about glorifying things. The news is about reporting the facts. At least over here it is; I know that in America a lot of news is about sensationalism, heh.

You just named an example, heh. Yeah, those scenes didn't sit well with me, either. Especially the river one, where the big metal spike went through her throat. Ugh. Had to eventually look away with that one.

Why I'm bothered by TR gore but not THC? I suppose because I'm a long time fan of the TR series and to some extend I care about Lara, whereas THC was just a one-off movie with characters that I didn't really feel a connection with.
    No no, when the "focus" of television is sex, violence, and gore, it does glorify them, that's what I'm saying.

And I'm from America, so that may color my viewpoint :P

Through her THROAT? Gosh, I don't remember that one. Kind of glad I don't...

We all react differently to the information that media send to us. Our sensibility, experiment, brings us all to translate differently the same information with tools into our possession... I am "passive" when I watch a series, there's no implication. It's different with a game. There I am in total immersion and when I have to "kill" someone, I feel bad, even if I know that's it's just a game. It's certainly the reason why I only play "stealth game" or in stealth mode, even "Quake" We're often going to "Laser Quest", for fun, with a friend's team, and I'm the only one who have a negative score They hate me
    That's crazy, I'm always going in all directions !!! I mean, if someone want to see a glorification of gore in GoT, let's go, you're only doing with your tools... Truth is everywhere.

Did you finish all seasons of Dexter? I'd love to hear what you think about some parts, but wouldn't like to spoil anything for you.
    Yes, I've finished all seasons of Dexter. I enjoy to watch series where I don't know what's going to happen in the next episode and Dexter was great for suspense ! Subject was original and unexpected. I understood the controversy when this series came out but I like judging by myself. And ban something, whatever it is, takes away the right to think critically.
    Being or trying to be in the head of a serial killer was original, not politically correct maybe but interesting. What was disturbing me, it's the "code" as we know that they do not...

"Harrap's"? Is that a dictionary?
    Yes, and I thought it was known all over the world !

No no, when the "focus" of television is sex, violence, and gore, it does glorify them, that's what I'm saying.
    Hmm, not sure if I would agree with that, but I get what you're saying

Through her THROAT? Gosh, I don't remember that one. Kind of glad I don't...
    Yeah it was pretty gruesome. I remember the scene was also featured in an episode of Clueless Gamer, and Conan had to look away as well, haha. Plus the whole audience went crazy, lol.

Here's a clip, if you dare to stomach it :/

[gore warning]

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Hmm, not sure if I would agree with that, but I get what you're saying

Yeah it was pretty gruesome. I remember the scene was also featured in an episode of Clueless Gamer, and Conan had to look away as well, haha. Plus the whole audience went crazy, lol.

Here's a clip, if you dare to stomach it :/

[gore warning]

Gosh. That's terrible.

I never witnessed that. I bet that only happens right there if you don't dodge that stuff. Though I agree it's pretty awful.

We all react differently to the information that media send to us. Our sensibility, experiment, brings us all to translate differently the same information with tools into our possession... I am "passive" when I watch a series, there's no implication. It's different with a game. There I am in total immersion and when I have to "kill" someone, I feel bad, even if I know that's it's just a game. It's certainly the reason why I only play "stealth game" or in stealth mode, even "Quake" We're often going to "Laser Quest", for fun, with a friend's team, and I'm the only one who have a negative score They hate me
    That's crazy, I'm always going in all directions !!! I mean, if someone want to see a glorification of gore in GoT, let's go, you're only doing with your tools... Truth is everywhere.
    Heh, it sounds to me that you're a pacifist. Would that be an accurate description?

Yes, I've finished all seasons of Dexter. I enjoy to watch series where I don't know what's going to happen in the next episode and Dexter was great for suspense ! Subject was original and unexpected. I understood the controversy when this series came out but I like judging by myself. And ban something, whatever it is, takes away the right to think critically.
    Being or trying to be in the head of a serial killer was original, not politically correct maybe but interesting. What was disturbing me, it's the "code" as we know that they do not...
    Too right; banning works of art just because they are dark isn't the way to go. I don't really get why there was controversy in the first place, though; Dexter isn't the first show with a "baddy" as the protagonist, not by far. You'd think people are used to it by now.

I just had to laugh during that scene where that videogame developer created a game where the protagonist is a serial killer and he showed it to Dexter and Dexter was all offended, saying that that is sick

The code sure brought a very interesting element to the story. It was fascinating seeing Dexter struggle with the code at times.

Who were your favorite side characters of the show?

One of my favs was Trinity. John Lithgow really knocked it out of the park with his character.

Hello..... *slowly looks down* Dexter Morgan. So much suspense!

Yes, and I thought it was known all over the world !
    First time I've heard of it, heh. I usually use merriam-webster or dictionary.com for English, Prisma for Dutch and google translate for anything else.

Gosh. That's terrible.

I never witnessed that. I bet that only happens right there if you don't dodge that stuff. Though I agree it's pretty awful.
    Yeah it happens when you fail to dodge at certain points in the river scene. So you managed to get through it without fail on your first attempt? Nice skills!

Yeah it happens when you fail to dodge at certain points in the river scene. So you managed to get through it without fail on your first attempt? Nice skills!
    Thanks. I've got experience I guess with other fast-paced games.

And to be off-topic per the thread, I'm currently playing Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Pretty amazing game in some ways. I love how much freedom you have in completing your objective.

I am back from my holiday!

I played through the third episode with my boyfriend but have yet to play it through myself. I have lots of catching up to do.

So what did everyone think of E3?

Any big surprises? Any disappointments?

So what did everyone think of E3?

Any big surprises? Any disappointments?
    It seemed like Microsoft had the best showing. Backwards compatibility was nice. However, they are relying on old franchises. Tomb Raider looked good, but nothing particularly surprising.
    signature image

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234