Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two Whales Diner | Off-topic Chat

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
    Having characters like Quark, Garak and even Major Kira is a big plus.
    Meh, didn't like Quark at all. Granted, I didn't see all that many episodes of DS9, but his character always put me off whenever the show was on. Too sleazy.

O'Brien (season 1-7) and Worf (seasons 4-7) from TNG joined the Cast of DS9, though.
    Ah yeah I remember seeing O'Brien on DS9. Didn't know about Worf, though. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by zackdollars View Post
    Speaking of Doritos, there was a contest called "Unlock Xbox". You could submit an idea, and they would consider developing a game based on it. Doritos broke their own rules, and picked whatever they wanted. A huge waste of time. But, I thought my idea was cool. It was low budget, so I proposed an on-rails shooter with hot babes and a basic plot.

Here was my submission in 2007:

Nice drawing skills you have. Your work kind of reminds me of Heavy Metal, heh.

Have you done any TR art work?

Nice drawing skills you have. Your work kind of reminds me of Heavy Metal, heh.
    Have you done any TR art work?
    Thanks! No. I haven't done any TR fan art. I do love Lara though. I would enjoy drawing her. Maybe I'll try that someday.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Ah yeah I remember seeing O'Brien on DS9. Didn't know about Worf, though. Interesting.
    That's why Worf was in command of the Defiant at the beginning of First Contact. The Defiant, initially designed to fight the Borg and Starfleet's first true warship, was stationed at DS9 and used in the Dominion War (thank God, no Borg in DS9).

Just going to put this out there..... Game of Thrones

Winter is comming! It is back, the TV series at least... Still waiting the book.

I... I watched the first two seasons of Game of Thrones and don't think it was that good. I have no interest in watching the rest or touching the books. :x

Quote Originally Posted by Stellazira View Post
    I've been taking it slow so as not to stress myself out too much and go into debt, but I just really want to finish now and get a job that pays well. It's going to start getting annoying now since a few of the courses I need are only available once a year.
    I know how that feels. I wound up going to school every summer to get done in four years (though to be fair I did a dual major so I had more than the typical number of classes), even took a class at another college in the summer because it was a pre-req for a class in the fall.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

I... I watched the first two seasons of Game of Thrones and don't think it was that good. I have no interest in watching the rest or touching the books. :x
    I'm with ya, Stellazira. People kept on recommending Games of Thrones and it's constantly everywhere in the news, so a few months ago I decided to finally give in and check out the show. Well, I watched the first few eps, and it looked interesting but it didn't live up the hype so far. So then people were telling me "ahh just get through the first few introductory eps, then it gets REALLY awesome". Well, I'm well into the second season as of this point, and.... so far I'm still not getting that "hooked" feeling that everyone else who's raving about the show seems to be feeling.

So yeah... I really don't get what's the big deal about Games of Thrones :/

Gratuitous nudity and gore

I read the first book and generally like the show, but I agree, the hype is not really justified. Some storylines are great, but others just boring and overall the series feels too unfocused.

The nudity and gore does make GoT more interesting than if it were left out, but I'm starting to think that that is indeed the main reason why the show is so much hyped :/

Well, everyday we see this on tv... nothing really extraordinary.
    This is not the point here in this series. I watched the first episode when it came out and was scotched first by the generic that I find amazingly well done. Second, the photography is also incredible, lights and backdrops so perfect, and a surprising scenario. Yes, you see nudity and gore but it is for me contributing for the atmosphere, loud, strange and unhealthy.
    (oups, hope my English is understandable...)

One person I used to know on a different forum pointed out that GoT specializes in intrigue.

I wouldn't know, since I haven't watched it.

I'm with ya, Stellazira. People kept on recommending Games of Thrones and it's constantly everywhere in the news, so a few months ago I decided to finally give in and check out the show. Well, I watched the first few eps, and it looked interesting but it didn't live up the hype so far. So then people were telling me "ahh just get through the first few introductory eps, then it gets REALLY awesome". Well, I'm well into the second season as of this point, and.... so far I'm still not getting that "hooked" feeling that everyone else who's raving about the show seems to be feeling.

I got to the end of the second season with that cliffhanger and I said something along the lines of "yay! It's over and I can watch something else now!" instead of "gimme the next season!"

Gratuitous nudity and gore

I read the first book and generally like the show, but I agree, the hype is not really justified. Some storylines are great, but others just boring and overall the series feels too unfocused.
    Nudity and gore do not make shows good. These shows get attention because it's taboo to have these topics show up a lot in shows. Nudity is something for more mature audiences, and since you have to "age gate" these shows somehow through a channel subscription or parental controls. It's something that parents usually don't want their kids to see when they're young, which is understandable, but at the same time everybody knows 100% what's under clothes about half of the time, so really, is there anything really surprising under there? Nudity is this weird thing that people make too much of a fuss about sometimes. As for gore, excessive amounts is distasteful... in a medical situation it can be required for authenticity, but gore for the sake of gore is silly.

The nudity and gore does make GoT more interesting than if it were left out, but I'm starting to think that that is indeed the main reason why the show is so much hyped :/
    They don't need to be "shown off". The story should be the most important thing, and good stories are really hard to come by these days.

Game of Thrones is not one of those shows. It just feels like a fantasy soap opera.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCopy View Post
    You see nudity every day on TV? What kind of channels are you watching, Playboy TV?

I would definitely say it's extraordinary. Otherwise there wouldn't be such a huge controversy about GoT because of it's nudity.

This is not the point here in this series. I watched the first episode when it came out and was scotched first by the generic that I find amazingly well done. Second, the photography is also incredible, lights and backdrops so perfect, and a surprising scenario. Yes, you see nudity and gore but it is for me contributing for the atmosphere, loud, strange and unhealthy.
    (oups, hope my English is understandable...)
    U-huh, and people buy Playboy magazine for the interviews and photos of nice landscapes.

Let's be real here, GoT wouldn't be where GoT is today if it wasn't for the massive amount of nudity. Sure, the show itself has a high production quality, which surely helps sell it more than it was cheaply made. But I don't buy the idea that the nudity is just some accidental side thing.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post
    One person I used to know on a different forum pointed out that GoT specializes in intrigue.

I wouldn't know, since I haven't watched it.
    Hmm I think I would agree with that. GoT indeed covers a lot of fascinating conspiracies and scheming (which are the same thing, as Tyrion Lannister would say ) and taboos. Rape, incest, backstabbing, nudity, power abuse... all taboos which draws in a big crowd.

You could say it's basically a soap opera cranked up to 11.

I got to the end of the second season with that cliffhanger and I said something along the lines of "yay! It's over and I can watch something else now!" instead of "gimme the next season!"
    Ha, yes, they do get you with those nasty cliffhangers, don't they

Nudity and gore do not make shows good. These shows get attention because it's taboo to have these topics show up a lot in shows. Nudity is something for more mature audiences, and since you have to "age gate" these shows somehow through a channel subscription or parental controls. It's something that parents usually don't want their kids to see when they're young, which is understandable, but at the same time everybody knows 100% what's under clothes about half of the time, so really, is there anything really surprising under there? Nudity is this weird thing that people make too much of a fuss about sometimes. As for gore, excessive amounts is distasteful... in a medical situation it can be required for authenticity, but gore for the sake of gore is silly.

[...]

They don't need to be "shown off". The story should be the most important thing, and good stories are really hard to come by these days.

Game of Thrones is not one of those shows. It just feels like a fantasy soap opera.
    I myself don't mind that they "show off" either gore or nudity in GoT. I come from a country where there are little taboos; our TV shows have had nudity and many other stereotypically "controversial" content for decades and no one makes a big deal about it, so I guess it just comes naturally to me. But I think you're right; if it wasn't for society's prude (and often puritanical) view regarding nudity and sex, I'm sure the show wouldn't have become as big as it has.

You see nudity every day on TV? What kind of channels are you watching, Playboy TV?

I would definitely say it's extraordinary. Otherwise there wouldn't be such a huge controversy about GoT because of it's nudity.

U-huh, and people buy Playboy magazine for the interviews and photos of nice landscapes.

Let's be real here, GoT wouldn't be where GoT is today if it wasn't for the massive amount of nudity. Sure, the show itself has a high production quality, which surely helps sell it more than it was cheaply made. But I don't buy the idea that the nudity is just some accidental side thing.
    Well, just take a look at publicity on TV... There's a little confusion here between nudity and sex.
    This series is ultra realist, maybe too much for his detractors ? And like you, I don't think nudity is an accidental side thing, it is a part of the show, it couldn't be without it. I don't think people massively look at it just for this. And no, I'm not looking at it just for nudity
    I'm so angry to be so stupid when I try to express myself in English...
    I mean, you're right in what you're saying but what is boring me, really, it's that in 2015, we are always talking about nudity as if it was horrible and I do not understand why a so "normal thing" is so demonized. This society is in regression years after years.
    Free violence for me is more chocking then nudity.
    Last edited by WhiteCopy; 19th Apr 2015 at 10:18.

Well, just take a look at publicity on TV... There's a little confusion here between nudity and sex.
    This series is ultra realist, maybe too much for his detractors ? And like you, I don't think nudity is an accidental side thing, it is a part of the show, it couldn't be without it. I don't think people massively look at it just for this. And no, I'm not looking at it just for nudity
    I'm so angry to be so stupid when I try to express myself in English...
    I mean, you're right in what you're saying but what is boring me, really, it's that in 2015, we are always talking about nudity as if it was horrible and I do not understand why a so "normal thing" is so demonized. This society is in regression years after years.
    Free violence for me is more chocking then nudity.
    You're not stupid. English is not my native language, either. Miscommunication happens, it's normal

Oh I absolutely agree that there are crazy double standards when it comes to violence vs nudity/sex in society and in the media in particular. And you're right, it's completely backwards that something as normal and harmless as nudity/sex is demonized so much while something as harmful as violence (real violence, that is) is glamorized so much.

And I think you might be onto something about GoT perhaps being too realistic for its detractors. I didn't think of that. Good point.

I myself don't mind that they "show off" either gore or nudity in GoT. I come from a country where there are little taboos; our TV shows have had nudity and many other stereotypically "controversial" content for decades and no one makes a big deal about it, so I guess it just comes naturally to me. But I think you're right; if it wasn't for society's prude (and often puritanical) view regarding nudity and sex, I'm sure the show wouldn't have become as big as it has.
    Here in North America, nudity and gore aren't really seen in "mainstream" shows. They're either going to be on really late at night (if at all, on some channels) or you'll have to get a subscription to see that channel. I find it kind of weird here: people don't mind watching a show such as GoT to see this stuff, but to be shown it unexpectedly? "HOW DARE YOU DO THAT!!!" or something along those lines. I don't recall seeing many naked butts in NA programming. I find it weird that people here seem to say "OMG a naked butt" when it's something EVERYONE has. I feel that nudity shouldn't be a big deal, but society here makes it so.

Gore is another thing. I've taken a few first aid courses (lower level, minor stuff mostly) and there are some stories instructors have that they don't tell and they tell you this. People can be affected by gore so I don't think it should be everywhere. Bad stuff happens in wars; gore is a part of that. Glorifying it is not cool.

Gore is another thing. I've taken a few first aid courses (lower level, minor stuff mostly) and there are some stories instructors have that they don't tell and they tell you this. People can be affected by gore so I don't think it should be everywhere. Bad stuff happens in wars; gore is a part of that. Glorifying it is not cool.
    I don't think GoT is glorifying gore. But go on TV News... Difference is that here, this is the real life, real story with real people. Most of the time, truth can be stranger than fiction.
    GoT is just a fiction, a good one for me. Some can enjoy to watch it or some can find it disturbing and just cut their TV and do something more fun for them. We always have the choice. Here this series is forbidden for less than 12 years old. This kind of things makes me smile... Now they have to invent the TV who detects that you have less than 12 and stops immediately the program ! ... And it means nothing, you can have 60 and be shocked by this series!
    GoT doesn't make the apology of war, it's a fiction, a hard one, in a barbarian context with others considerations and values (hum... not sure about that ) The story is a drama, not a comedy. Images are cruel, hard, but it's not "Barbie at the beach"... it's GoT.
    At school here, History program, we see a documentary about Auchwitz, after that, you see GoT as a wonderful world... But GoT is a fiction.
    Talking of which, few games are more gore than GoT no?

English is not my native language, either.
    And now, I am highly complexed

I think the main appeal is that it's not your typical story where you follow the protagonist around and see how they make everything better. I really enjoy the story in that it's not so easily predictable, and perhaps that's the realism you mention.

There is no hero, there is no villain; there's just people, and they are all trying to survive based on their morals. For some it works out better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkor View Post
    I think the main appeal is that it's not your typical story where you follow the protagonist around and see how they make everything better. I really enjoy the story in that it's not so easily predictable, and perhaps that's the realism you mention.

There is no hero, there is no villain; there's just people, and they are all trying to survive based on their morals. For some it works out better than others.
    From what little I know (I don't watch television at all, I've caught a few shows here and there), "that" (no central protagonist changing the world) is not unprecedented. Look at all the vampire films and series', they're anti-heroes at best and they never "change the world."

I think a big part of it is the intrigue. It was twice called a "soap opera" above, and as a soap it's in a pretty unique position--political relationships instead of romantic ones--well, PLUS romantic ones :P, and with a larger-than-life "set"--rather than a few women in New York City, it's kings and queens or their equivalent. Combined with the so-called nudity and violence of course.

I enjoyed Xena: Warrior Princess. Joxer was a funny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimoire View Post
    I enjoyed Xena: Warrior Princess. Joxer was a funny guy.
    I've never watched it, don't know why... There's a new series in France that I enjoy it's "Peplum", a comedy, not serious at all but I like anachronisms inside it

Okay folks, since the discussion is all about TV shows, I gotta ask... who here has watched (or is watching) Breaking Bad? And what do you all think?

To me, BB was one of the best shows I've ever watched. Absolutely loved it

I find it kind of weird here: people don't mind watching a show such as GoT to see this stuff, but to be shown it unexpectedly? "HOW DARE YOU DO THAT!!!" or something along those lines. I don't recall seeing many naked butts in NA programming. I find it weird that people here seem to say "OMG a naked butt" when it's something EVERYONE has. I feel that nudity shouldn't be a big deal, but society here makes it so.
    Oh it's because of religion. I'm sure of it. We used to be pretty religious in my country, too, but religion has been able to naturally phrase out here, and now we're one of the most non-religious, secular countries in the world. But in America religion has likely stuck around for so long and so strongly because it has become big business and it's heavily politicized. And with religion always comes prudishness about sex and nudity.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by being shown nudity "unexpectedly", though. Can you give an example?

And do you mean that because people already know that GoT is full of nudity they are therefore okay with it? Because that sure isn't what I've seen. Just last year I've heard people lose their minds over GoT contents. And with the new season upon us, I'm sure we'll see a whole bunch of (fake) outrage again this yeah as well

The reason I don't have a problem with gore either is because as an adult I can differentiate between real life gore and movie gore. I watched The Human Centipede. Pretty disgusting, sure, but I'm not affected by it because my brain can tell it's fictional. I agree that it shouldn't be everywhere, though. But neither should nudity and sex. It would be inappropriate for a 7 year old to watch a porn movie, just like it would be inappropriate for a 7 year old to watch THC.

I don't think GoT is glorifying gore. But go on TV News...
    Well I guess "glorifying" is not the correct term. TV shows, films, or even news as you mentioned, aren't really glorifying sex/violence/gore/etc. Perhaps a better term would be "depicting".

GoT is just a fiction, a good one for me. Some can enjoy to watch it or some can find it disturbing and just cut their TV and do something more fun for them. We always have the choice.
    Gotta agree with that, yeah. If something is not your cup of tea, you're not forced to watch it, so no harm done and no reason to get all offended by it

Here this series is forbidden for less than 12 years old. This kind of things makes me smile... Now they have to invent the TV who detects that you have less than 12 and stops immediately the program !
    I think Microsoft is working on that, haha.

... And it means nothing, you can have 60 and be shocked by this series!
    That's true, but I do think it makes sense to have age limits for certain content.

GoT doesn't make the apology of war, it's a fiction, a hard one, in a barbarian context with others considerations and values (hum... not sure about that ) The story is a drama, not a comedy. Images are cruel, hard, but it's not "Barbie at the beach"... it's GoT.
    At school here, History program, we see a documentary about Auchwitz, after that, you see GoT as a wonderful world... But GoT is a fiction.
    Oh definitely. Watching GoT is nothing compared to some of real life's gruesomeness :/

Talking of which, few games are more gore than GoT no?
    I think there are a lot of gory videogames. There seems to be a trend lately towards gore in games. Even the latest Tomb Raider game has become pretty damn gory to the point where even I was put off by some scenes :/

And now, I am highly complexed
    lol, why's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkor View Post
    As EternalAmbiguity mentioned, GoT not having a central protagonist changing the world is not the thing that makes it so special, I think. Other shows have done this before GoT. But I think you have a point about the unpredictability. Characters are able to be killed off in an instant from what I've seen so far, which I think is less common in other popular shows. I for one certainly did not expect Eddard Stark to be killed off, especially already in the first season, heh.

That's true

Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post
    From what little I know (I don't watch television at all, I've caught a few shows here and there), "that" (no central protagonist changing the world) is not unprecedented. Look at all the vampire films and series', they're anti-heroes at best and they never "change the world."

I think a big part of it is the intrigue. It was twice called a "soap opera" above, and as a soap it's in a pretty unique position--political relationships instead of romantic ones--well, PLUS romantic ones :P, and with a larger-than-life "set"--rather than a few women in New York City, it's kings and queens or their equivalent. Combined with the so-called nudity and violence of course.
    Yeah I think that pretty much nails it in terms of why people watch it. Though, again, I still can't relate to people raving about the show like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. That credit would most definitely have to go to the aforementioned Breaking Bad, heh. That show was brilliant. Had me sitting on the edge of my seat nearly every single episode.

Okay folks, since the discussion is all about TV shows, I gotta ask... who here has watched (or is watching) Breaking Bad? And what do you all think?

To me, BB was one of the best shows I've ever watched. Absolutely loved it
    Never watched. I've read the pitch and thought "oh no, another depressive series"
    But it has won a lots of rewards and it must have reasons, so why, what are the reasons for you to find this series so great?

I think Microsoft is working on that, haha.
    I'm impatient to see that !

lol, why's that?
    Your English seems perfect.
    in fact, it makes me dream and hope after 10 years of forums, writing everyday (apologize in advance...) I get can align two sentences in understandable English!

Eddard Stark to be killed off, especially already in the first season, heh.
    Yep, the first of a long list of surprises...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast