Thread: Matchmaking wager/betting system

Matchmaking wager/betting system

Matchmaking wager/betting system

I have been thinking of way to keep this game interesting, as much as I like playing, theres only so much you can do, of course new maps/classes will assist with this, but I feel it needs a little bit more.

One think I have been discussing with my clan, is a sort of wager system implicated into matches. A kind of challenge system. Initially i was thinking, like private matches, but with exp. that were official team vs team matches, monitored for hacks, maybe with spectators.

Well, will something like that in mind, a way to make the terms more interesting, adding gold, abilities, weapons, as a form of raising bets between two groups... ( I raise you one mysterious for two arcane weapons, or 1000 gold vs that stormbow ) Now this is a very vague idea i've been toying with, but adding a feature, something similar to this to keep things interesting. Obviously it would need to be adjusted in such a way where people dont just abuse it as a form of trade system.

I have never understood the concept that betting wagers inexplicably makes things "interesting". Risking some thing which can be easily replenished anyway seems a very flimsy way to generate interest. The game itself is unchanged. The gameplay is the same. Nothing's new.

Certainly not opposed to the idea but it does seem like the absolute weakest possible option for injecting interest into the game. More classes, abilities for more varied loadouts, melee options, maps, lore and game modes would all accomplish this purpose much more effectively than "WOO, GAMBLING!"

I couldn't agree more.
    I guess it's just a safe risk... no real downside, no real upside.

The only thing I'd be OK with gambling is gold, because I have more of that in game than I know what to do with. For anything else, the chests are already too much.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    The only thing I'd be OK with gambling is gold, because I have more of that in game than I know what to do with. For anything else, the chests are already too much.
    Re-reading the OP, it does mention abilities and weapons being used for betting. Short of an outright trade system (which would be preferable and render this concept obsolete), that could be an interesting way to get things that would otherwise require keys (which nobody should ever buy - and personally, I'd rather nobody buy anything until chests are fixed but people just hate to delay gratification.)

I wouldn't mind something else to spend gold on, I'm sitting at 35k right now with every item I wanted, really wanted, sort of wanted, kind of wanted, and wanted slightly already purchased.
    My nosgoth referral link: http://bit.ly/1JPbc9B
    signature image

Originally Posted by Khalith
    I wouldn't mind something else to spend gold on, I'm sitting at 35k right now with every item I wanted, really wanted, sort of wanted, kind of wanted, and wanted slightly already purchased.
    I vote keys.