Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Life Is Strange - Feedback and Suggestions

Life Is Strange - Feedback and Suggestions

Post your feedback and any suggestions you might have in mind here in this thread (or feel free to create your own thread on the subject!)
    You never know who might be reading.
    Last edited by Grimoire; 4th Feb 2015 at 01:50.

I'm just glad not all have to be done via time travel, some can be done in the first go.

I just hope to see more awareness of Max choosing not to use her powers.

Like telltale noticing our choice of being silent they add some references and awareness to the dialogs of it.

Let's get started: I enjoyed this chapter. The art is good, cosplayable characters, nice ost, things to explore, not only the objects but actions as well when you rewind.

I used to play like "I will be a nice person." but sometimes I thought it wouldn't bring me a good ending, that's rewind work for. See and talk and back in time and pretend that it never happened and use what you learned, OK this is cheating, I know, but can help to resolve a crime.

There are some precautions I took: not warn the ball coming, not sign the petition about camaras at school mostly because her "teletransport" power. I wonder how no one noticed she is in a place then suddenly she is in other. Is the main chara so not noticed? Maybe this camera worrying will make me not get an important evidence about something... I don't want all school knows she has powers, it may be troublesome.

Question There is just one thing that bothers me about the game.

I'm really enjoying Life is Strange so far but, why isn't there an option to disable the "This action will have consequences" thing?

In my opinion, it brings down the great immersion feel that you achieved, it's like a reminder to the player that everything is programmed and that only X choices will trigger something. Why don't you let the player to guess by himself what may have an effect, to question everything he choose to do even if it looks tiny? It's much better, because the player doesn't have a clue about what will matter in the end, and it feels much more natural that way.

Ok, if you think it's a good idea to have this by default, fine, but why not an option to turn it off for people like me? It can't be that hard to add and I know there is more people that don't want those notifications.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by CTCCoco; 8th Feb 2015 at 01:05.

Hello CTCCoco.

I think you might have more success with this thread if you had posted it in the 'feedback and suggestions' section. Your thread is primarily based on suggestion and may be automatically moved there by the moderators anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    Hello CTCCoco.

I think you might have more success with this thread if you had posted it in the 'feedback and suggestions' section. Your thread is primarily based on suggestion and may be automatically moved there by the moderators anyway.

Oops, sorry. I only see "General", "Episode 1" and "Technical support". Where can I find the "suggestions" section?
    Game Developer, Modder & Webmaster.

LOL! No need to apologise to me about it. I'm just helping out.

The feedback thread is in the very same section where you posted this thread, (look down a couple lines below your thread and you will see it) but I don't think they like people to 'double post' - so to be safe I would leave it where it is for now and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    LOL! No need to apologise to me about it. I'm just helping out.

The feedback thread is in the very same section where you posted this thread, (look down a couple lines below your thread and you will see it) but I don't think they like people to 'double post' - so to be safe I would leave it where it is for now and see what happens.

Oh, lol, I see now, thanks.

Yea, I shouldn't doble-post now, so I'll just leave it here.
    Last edited by CTCCoco; 8th Feb 2015 at 01:35.
    Game Developer, Modder & Webmaster.

Well, I did say that...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimoire View Post
    Post your feedback and any suggestions you might have in mind here in this thread (or feel free to create your own thread on the subject!)
    You never know who might be reading.
    So you did nothing wrong, CTCCoco.
    (However, I decided to merge the threads since the subject was brought up and, as julietxjules points out, it's more practical to have these kinds of things gathered in one and the same place.)

I absolutely loved the first episode. I love interactive games like this, Game of Thrones and Heavy Rain in which your decisions influence the story. The nostalgic elements and atmosphere drew me into the game. The only aspect that I didn't like was the rewind feature. I like having to make choices and sticking with them and dealing with the consequences. Having the ability to change choices I made pulls me out a little. Strange saying that as I loved the game. I guess I would have loved the game even more without the rewind feature.

It's so good, I find the waiting time for Episode 2 so difficult.
    Last edited by TwoTonTom; 8th Feb 2015 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTonTom View Post

It's so good, I find the waiting time for Episode 2 so difficult.
    Yes, TwoTonTom, the wait is excruciatingly long! And what! You didn't like the rewind feature!?!? Bad Boy!

One thing I am noticing is the very restrictive field-of-view. Now, I understand that it can increase the "intimacy" of the gameplay, but for me it's a little inhibitive when I'm trying to look around.

Additionally--

This isn't a huge deal, but Max's walking is kind of poor. She glides rather than walks. Now, it seems like when she runs it isn't this way. But her walking is not good.

Additionally, one thing you should really, REALLY consider taking out is Max second-guessing herself after every one of those "big" choices where time freezes (like comfort/make fun of Victoria, help Chloe/don't help, etc.). Once you've played through both sides--once you've rewound to play through the other side--it sounds very disingenuous for her to always question it. I get that you did this to make it clear to the player that they could go back, but seeing as how literally the premise of the game is the time-reversal mechanic, you can justifiably expect players to understand that you can go back.

One more thing: The pre-rendered, 30 FPS ending video has got to go. I play on PC, with 60 FPS at all times, and it's totally jarring to be forced down to thirty, it's a touch jerky. There's no reason to lock it at 30, because this is not a huge game (and it's digital), you've got plenty of space. And since all it is is a pre-rendered scene, you could have easily rendered and recorded at 60. Please do so in the future (or alternatively don't make it pre-rendered at all).

I hope I don't come off as a jerk, I really really like this game and pretty much every day since I played episode 1 I've looked for info on when episode 2 is coming out.

Since we don't have a forum yet, I'll do it here...

At the ending "teaser" photos I saw a link to the website, which seems to link to help phone numbers or websites. Very good idea--it's a part of the story (and a pretty darned realistic part too), and promoting that is good.

Edit:
    Last edited by EternalAmbiguity; 24th Mar 2015 at 05:14.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

Made an account just for this, even on the off chance my voice might be heard.

First off, I love the game. I really do. I find the attempt to tackle certain themes in such a multi-faceted (and often realistic) way is terrific. And I really enjoy the weirdness of the game...the best characters are by far and away the ones with distinct personalities, and this has several of those.

To @TwoTonTom, who dislikes the rewind function, aside from it being an in-game mechanic, you can just choose not to rewind. Seriously, if you don't like the option to change major choices, just don't. I've started doing something where I use a mandatory self-imposed amount of times I'm "able" to rewind - barring major plot parts where I know I'll get stuck otherwise. It limits your choices and makes you realize that you can only use your gift sometimes, which I find really fun and it makes me really think about my choices more often.

I do agree with @CTCCoco, who suggests adding a toggle to remove the top left bit suggesting your choices will have an impact, as well as the music indication (if possible). My experience with scripting is limited but I've done similar things before and it's not very difficult to add a option in the settings for that sort of thing. But it's preference, not a huge factor on enjoyment of the game.

To @EternalAmbiguity, I agree, but I think that

Time for my own criticisms and opinions...I'm not going to criticize the lip-synching, as technical things don't bother me, though I do understand the concern. Honestly, my biggest issue is by far and away the inconsistency of the dialogue. There are some times where I feel like it's appropriately "high-school-awkward," but other times, it comes across as way too forced and fake...like non-American late-teens trying to write American late-teen dialogue. Which is exactly what this is, but I feel like it can be so, so much better than that.

For examples of what was done well, I really enjoy certain levels of awkwardness - for example, Warren is well written, even though he says a lot of goofy stuff. He does come across as someone who doesn't pick up on social queues. It fits his character perfectly.

Other characters, like Daniel, make use of the awkwardness well. Samuel is great, he reminds me of a character from Twin Peaks or Deadly Premonition, which I'm sure you all love to hear. I like hearing Max say "Wowser" since it's kind of a trademark for her, and I like how Kate was mysterious enough to intrigue. Even Victoria and Mr. Jefferson have their moments.

As for what was done poorly, I hate to say it, but this last episode was worse than the first episode overall, in terms of dialogue. Certain characters, like Chloe, are so all over the place. She'll say some things that fit really well for her character, but then she'll try and force certain language and lingo that doesn't fit her character at all. She isn't a tryhard.

Then characters like the skater boys are just...over the top. Kids don't talk like that, late teens definitely don't. The jocks come off as awkward really often too. Often Max will say things that just aren't reasonable for her character to say...at least, given what I've been told of her.

I just feel like you really need more feedback from Americans, especially people who study the language and how people speak, since it doesn't really come off as actually being set in Oregon sometimes. Which sucks, because other times, it fits really well. It's not even the acting, a lot of it is great, even though there is some weird delivery occasionally. But one of the biggest complaints I constantly see about this game is the dialogue being "forced" and how "people don't really talk that way."

I hate that, because you're all trying to tell such a good story, with strong female characters (a real rarity) tackling underrepresented but very real topics, and some people write it off just because it's "cheesy." I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to assume I could write better than you all necessarily...but I really do think having the dialogue be reviewed by a decent sample size to pick out things that sound "awkward" before the voiceovers are recorded would be a good idea. It's all pretty easily fixable.

For example,

I dunno. I just see so much potential for the dialogue, and potential for this game to be recognized as something groundbreaking, but right now the forced and cringe-worthy bits are holding it back. See? Say cringe-worthy! That's something that works. But a lot of the lingo is just five years too late, or overdone.

That's my piece anyways. Not sure if anyone notable will read it, but worth a shot!

In terms of dialect, something like this may be insightful:
    http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/SurveyMaps/
    This is how people in the US describe a "sweetened carbonated beverage" (#105):

On one hand I find some of the dialogue weird and dated, but it's been a while since I left high school and I live north of the border. It kind of makes sense that some of the dialogue would be weird to some people. I'm still not a fan of it personally, but if the devs wondered the halls of Oregon high schools and colleges/universities for a bit prior to writing it, then that's probably not far off the mark.

I know that DONTNOD have made Chloe and Max's relationship deliberately ambiguous as to whether it could be romantic/sexual or not, which is smart, because if you want it to be, then you can see it that way, and if not, that's fine too. But I kind of hope, maybe in the final episode, they make it an actual decision for the player to cement their own headcanon. The way Chloe talks about Rachel certainly implies they may have been in a romantic/sexual relationship, but Max is less clear, especially given her interactions with Warren. Perhaps Chloe could try to kiss Max, and Max has the choice to 'return the kiss' or 'politely pull back' (Not that a kiss alone would really be enough to solidify how to categorise a relationship, but it would be a step towards further personalising Max). It wouldn't necessarily be a decision that actually affects the storyline either, just something to validate either option as acceptable.

The dialogue is certainly the the biggest problem so far. It may not be terrible (and overall I enjoy the game very much), but a lot of the dialogue feels a little bit forced. I won't go into detail, because I'm not a native speaker and sometimes it might just be me, but it would probably a good idea to take another look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by TroublesomeBirdsong View Post
    I know that DONTNOD have made Chloe and Max's relationship deliberately ambiguous as to whether it could be romantic/sexual or not, which is smart, because if you want it to be, then you can see it that way, and if not, that's fine too. But I kind of hope, maybe in the final episode, they make it an actual decision for the player to cement their own headcanon. The way Chloe talks about Rachel certainly implies they may have been in a romantic/sexual relationship, but Max is less clear, especially given her interactions with Warren. Perhaps Chloe could try to kiss Max, and Max has the choice to 'return the kiss' or 'politely pull back' (Not that a kiss alone would really be enough to solidify how to categorise a relationship, but it would be a step towards further personalising Max). It wouldn't necessarily be a decision that actually affects the storyline either, just something to validate either option as acceptable.
    THIS. I would LOVE to see this option. It'd make everyone happy. Inclusiveness!

Hi thank you for this beautiful game, I really enjoy the immersion, it reminds me The last of us in term of story telling and strength of immersion in the characters (without the zombies thing of course ). This is a great game !

But what I really don't like is the fact that you released it as episodes so we have to wait 2 months before continuing the game, and that really breaks how much people are into the game. Why ? Because from the time you played the first episode and the time you will end the story, about one year would have passed, and probably after all that you won't even bother finishing the game because you would have forget about it....

And this is really too bad, especially when the price of the full game is so low. Seriously when I saw the trailer I bought the complete 5 episodes right away, because it looked really cool, interesting and different from the other games, and also it was cheap price so I wouldn't loose much money anyway.
    I am saying that if you guys choose episodes release in case you were afraid people won't buy the full game at first. Ok $5 an episode is very cheap, but $20 the full game is super cheap too, and I don't think people were afraid to spend that money at first and get a full game.

Ok you get it, I am really into the game, and like everybody I can't wait to play the next episode (when are the release dates by the way ? that is not clear..). But I really do think this kind of episodes release breaks the immersion of the story, which is too bad.

Next time if you make a game as good as this one, please please finish it before to put it on the market.

Thank you for reading and for making this awesome game.
    Now stop reading Internet forums and go back to work to release episode 3 !!!
    Last edited by smashouille; 25th Apr 2015 at 00:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversky View Post
    THIS. I would LOVE to see this option. It'd make everyone happy. Inclusiveness!
    Do people not remember Max's comments about sk8r bois?

I don't know if someone already suggest that somewhere, but It would be great if there was an option (in settings) so we can pass dialogue (for collectible mode, or if we play for the 2nd time etc..)

Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post
    Do people not remember Max's comments about sk8r bois?
    Do people not understand how bisexuality works?

Or teenaged experimentation...or confusion...

Do people assume bisexuality?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterycycle View Post
    Or teenaged experimentation...or confusion...
    Max may be a teenager, but she's really not "confused," as in "trying to find herself." They've been careful to portray her as one of, if not THE most stable person(s) in all of Blackwell.

I find it hard to buy her being "curious" or what have you. She's past that stage of growing up, and she's either one or the other.

I personally hope they stay away from it, with both Chloe AND Warren. This story is about friendship, not about romance. SE's done a good job of that lately (Final Fantasy XIII series, XV) and I hope it continues.
    Last edited by EternalAmbiguity; 27th Apr 2015 at 02:39.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast