Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Life Is Strange - Feedback and Suggestions

I just have one small problem, which is that I think that the post-rewind dialog bits often comes across as forced and unnatural. I get that the idea is that Max knows exactly the right thing to say because she's already had the conversation once, but a lot of the time it just doesn't feel to me like the character she's talking to would react positively to her mentioning some piece of information that they thought she didn't know about. And conversely, it's not always clear to me why a character clams up on a subject after mentioning it, but is then willing to talk about it when Max brings it up first.

It's not a big deal, but it's what strikes me as something that could be better if some more focus was put on making it feel natural.
    True I agree. I think this is something very difficult for the voice/script writers.

I thought that was meant to indicate that Max is feeling numb inside?
    She can hear William's voice perfectly well yet can't hear a door knocking or door opening?
    It's kind of weird looking for me, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvare View Post
    True I agree. I think this is something very difficult for the voice/script writers.

She can hear William's voice perfectly well yet can't hear a door knocking or door opening?
    It's kind of weird looking for me, if you ask me.
    I kind of figured the silent knock was part of the build-up of the suspense and drama. That scene was only meant to be music and the build-up is broken by Williams voice. That's how I took it anyways. I never thought of it as a problem the first time I played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baeraad View Post
    I love the game, I think it's fantastic is just about every way. I just have one small problem, which is that I think that the post-rewind dialog bits often comes across as forced and unnatural. I get that the idea is that Max knows exactly the right thing to say because she's already had the conversation once, but a lot of the time it just doesn't feel to me like the character she's talking to would react positively to her mentioning some piece of information that they thought she didn't know about. And conversely, it's not always clear to me why a character clams up on a subject after mentioning it, but is then willing to talk about it when Max brings it up first.

It's not a big deal, but it's what strikes me as something that could be better if some more focus was put on making it feel natural.
    But it does happen,
    and he'll react exactly as you would expect.

Just got the game and played Ep 1-3. Feedback so far:

I Like:
    - Atmosphere. Really makes me feel I'm back on campus. I had much less bullying though (lucky I guess). Also, the exceptional events (visions of the storm; signs; disappeared student) are tastefully done; they lend a sense of urgency to Max's actions, but don't dominate the gameplay.
    - Characters. They are really thought-through, as the story unfolds you learn more about them and you realize there's actually more to them than the initial one-sided impressions.
    - Choices. What I find wonderful is when I can pick the option I feel is right, and then the game reacts to it. (I've seen some previous comments pondering Max's sexual orientation... For example I would love if this was something I could choose, to make the game feel right *for me*.)

I not-so-much like:
    - Some choices felt a bit artificial. One example is in EP2, when you have the option to take the call in the diner... It would have felt natural to me to just go out and take the call while doing so. I felt that the drama (the alternative of missing a potentially important call, or the fight ensuing if you do take it) was forced to make the choice seem ambiguous.
    - Some choices aren't really choices... You may just overlook something. For example on first playthru I didn't even notice the RV in the campus parking lot early in EP1, nor did I interact with it; and then it recorded this as a "choice" (and by the way, still narrated "there's that RV again" when I saw it next, despite me not having any clue where I should've seen it before ).
    - Linearity. I played around with some choices, and my impression is that they seem to impact parts of scenes/dialogues, but the main scenes (and objectives) are set, and what you can actually alter in the flow of the story seems limited. Maybe some of the consequences will only be felt in the last Episodes...

I do worry a bit though, that especially as we get closer to the end, how will the game be able to properly do justice to the many different permutations our choices/actions could represent? I would probably not feel happy if the ending would be a single possible outcome (which could still make a lot of sense as a story, as many great stories are about inevitability of certain events or unalterability of the past; but as a player I would probably feel a bit short-changed, since the choice-consequence causality is one of the game's main selling points). I feel that the thin ice here is that beyond making sense as a story, LIS also needs to fulfill the player expectations in making sure that their choices will actually matter (I could note some examples of games screwing this up a bit by distilling down several dozen hours of gameplay choices into 2-3 endings, making 90% of previous choices irrelevant.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next episode, and hope that the previous episodes will make even more sense in light of the later revelations, and we'll get the option to meaningfully alter the story's second half and ending (and yes, I'm also hoping for a genuine happily-ever-after with the character I feel Max would fall in love with, as well as ways to screw things up, in various intentional and inadvertent ways, of course... ).

Come to think of it, LiS (based on EP1-3) does kind of remind me of the movie Donnie Darko. Also there you have the ominous signs and the impending doom; the dirty little secrets of the people in the small town; but what made DD great and really re-watchable is the human element, i.e. Donnie's bonding with Gretchen - as a kind of cathalist to his powers - that then enable him to carry out his duty to save the world. So far I see some (intended or coincidental) parallels between these stories (and Donnie Darko also had an awesome mood, it was one of those movies that have you thinking about it even afterwards). Though DD did go down the inevitability route, which kind of feels risky for LiS, at least as a single finale...

EDIT: Oh, and another thing... bonus points for depicting how Max struggles with her passion for art. For example her hesitation to hand in the photo. I can totally relate to that, as I'm writing a lot of stories for my own (and my friends') amusement, but I don't know if I'd ever muster up the courage to hand in something to a publisher. The thought of being judged is just too scary, and I'm sure Max would feel the same way about her photos, putting a piece of herself into each, fearing personal rejection if a photo is judged too harshly.

It's also a relief to see how Max and Chloe are not condemned for getting so close to each-other despite both being girls (IRL I don't think people are so open-minded... but it's good that the game is not about this... ).
    Last edited by KiraS94; 1st Jun 2015 at 06:56.

The main thing that I want is to see the kiss get some follow ups...there's been concerns about queer-baiting and I definitely reserve judgement and think it's too early to say that. However, I think it'll be important to go through with expanding on it. I'm so glad that we have the option to make Max bisexual, and romance and friendship are not mutually exclusive things as proven thus far. I think the kiss was adorable and in character with Max and Chloe's way of playing off of each other, but I really hope it's followed upon as it did leave some room for doubt for many because of the way it was written and built up.

I've gone through a lot in this final year of high school, and Life Is Strange has helped me get through the tough and stressful moments as a senior who is going through a lot of changes. This game has ultimately helped me to not only de-stress and find a new, unique, and valuable experience, but also find myself and my identity. I'm still at the beginning of the process, but as a result of some recent events as well as ones in the past, I've come to the conclusion that I'm bisexual and it just feels so right - and this game has somehow really helped in feeling like it's okay and normal and pretty damn awesome to further figure myself out. So Chloe and Max definitely mean a lot to me - as does LiS overall. It's practically at the very top with Mass Effect for my favorite game ever and it's not even done yet!

That's pretty much all I have for now. I am total pricefield trash. I trust that everything else will go wonderfully, as it has up until now. I actually have no doubt that it will come up later on as it was a major choice, but I just wanted to express my love and appreciation and strong hopes for that.

I don't want that to fizzle out as nothing but a tease, left ambiguous to not alienate the people who aren't even forced to make the decisions for a romantic relationship with Chloe. Some of them will complain regardless, while this kind of thing means a lot to many out there and it should be followed through honestly and earnestly!

P.S "Release the kra-can!" killed me. Keep those awesome and cheesy puns coming.
    Last edited by Natalie1229; 2nd Jun 2015 at 19:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie1229 View Post
    I'm still at the beginning of the process, but as a result of some recent events as well as ones in the past, I've come to the conclusion that I'm bisexual and it just feels so right - and this game has somehow really helped in feeling like it's okay and normal and pretty damn awesome to further figure myself out.
    You should not need any game to tell you that it is all right to feel good about being yourself. That said, it can be hard to go against the "norm" at times, and whatever helps you realize that you being YOU is the best possible thing ever is welcome!

I can only say: it really is pretty damn awesome to figure yourself out, no matter where that may lead you!

Quote Originally Posted by KiraS94 View Post
    You should not need any game to tell you that it is all right to feel good about being yourself. That said, it can be hard to go against the "norm" at times, and whatever helps you realize that you being YOU is the best possible thing ever is welcome!

I can only say: it really is pretty damn awesome to figure yourself out, no matter where that may lead you!
    Yeah, you're definitely right. It didn't "tell" me to feel good about being myself, but it has honestly really helped the process, especially because I have the choice to explore that in what has always been my outlet to de-stress and forget about my anxieties. It makes it feel a bit more real to me as someone who has always strongly and passionately identified as a gamer. Representation really matters. I'm really thankful for this game in so many ways, and it surely is hella awesome. Thank you very much, you're so sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baeraad View Post
    with all the diplomacy skills of a gorilla with a tooth-ache.
    You got that right

After finishing Episode 3 I was expecting more in the teaser for the next episode, or at least the same amount that was shown after the previous episodes. There was a lot of "that's it?" after the one scene. This felt especially weird after the entire timeline was changed and we're basically in a new setting now.

I only have 2 suggestions:

1) Add a clear indicator when a the 'restore points' is being made. Apparently, not everytime the game is saving there is a restore point. I had to redo some gameplay because of it (the game is well worth replaying, but you know what I mean). Or add a thumbnail screenshot to the last restore point, so you know when it's taken.

2) Add more of that gorgeous Max Caulfield, please. :P

Oh, and add an option to disable the subtitles, please. Don't need em.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie1229 View Post
    The main thing that I want is to see the kiss get some follow ups...there's been concerns about queer-baiting and I definitely reserve judgement and think it's too early to say that. However, I think it'll be important to go through with expanding on it. I'm so glad that we have the option to make Max bisexual, and romance and friendship are not mutually exclusive things as proven thus far. I think the kiss was adorable and in character with Max and Chloe's way of playing off of each other, but I really hope it's followed upon as it did leave some room for doubt for many because of the way it was written and built up.

I've gone through a lot in this final year of high school, and Life Is Strange has helped me get through the tough and stressful moments as a senior who is going through a lot of changes. This game has ultimately helped me to not only de-stress and find a new, unique, and valuable experience, but also find myself and my identity. I'm still at the beginning of the process, but as a result of some recent events as well as ones in the past, I've come to the conclusion that I'm bisexual and it just feels so right - and this game has somehow really helped in feeling like it's okay and normal and pretty damn awesome to further figure myself out. So Chloe and Max definitely mean a lot to me - as does LiS overall. It's practically at the very top with Mass Effect for my favorite game ever and it's not even done yet!

That's pretty much all I have for now. I am total pricefield trash. I trust that everything else will go wonderfully, as it has up until now. I actually have no doubt that it will come up later on as it was a major choice, but I just wanted to express my love and appreciation and strong hopes for that.

I don't want that to fizzle out as nothing but a tease, left ambiguous to not alienate the people who aren't even forced to make the decisions for a romantic relationship with Chloe. Some of them will complain regardless, while this kind of thing means a lot to many out there and it should be followed through honestly and earnestly!

Well said, Natalie!

I remember quite similar discussions, back in the day, on the old board, about Lara and Sam. LOL, it's like I never left! And I'm all for that! Seriously, I hope they don't back out of a possible shipping between Max and Chloe, just because some uptight advertisers can't deal with it. "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations," and all that. Don't force Max to hook up with Warren or something, or I'll go ape-* (pun intended). :P What better way to celebrate true choice in this game than to offer Max, you know, an actual choice in the matter!?

#TeamChloe
    signature image

We're almost there. The end is nigh for Life Is Strange.
    I thought it'd be dumb to make suggestions just before you've started to polish and work on ep5.. even though that moment is already nearly there. xD
    So, here's my last and final list of suggestions I'd make for your project Dontnod:

1. Sometimes silence or pause in dialogue is powerful.... like sighing or not being able to know how to respond. :P
    2. I'd really like to see Max and Chloe being at peace, like at some of the first moments in ep3. Max possibly cheering up Chloe or perhaps holding her to stop her from crying. I just think she really needs that after that conversation in the car. Or if, we're stuck in the alt time line.
    3. Ultimately, I want the best for all characters. Max, doesn't have to be a hero, if you ask me. I don't want her to meet a terrible fate. Same for every other character I like in the favorite character topic.. but the end is nigh. And my gut tells me it's going to be tough on us. Though, I think it's best for the drama of the story, so feel free to mess things up good. > : D
    4. Kate Marsh, please make a small scene in which she's recovered and happy. (Maybe she's doing well in the alternate time line.)
    5. Try gathering as many optional choices to have effect on the dialogue as you guys can.
    6. Something unpredictable happening and something intense. Even more than the previous episodes.
      And then we break from it. And get a moment that makes us think about everything what happened before.
      It'll make the game much more powerful. And then, we're on our way to the final cliffhanger before ep5.

I'd like to refer to another message board. The thread asks for avatars for PSN of the LiS characters. I'd say this is probably suggested for XBL as well.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/82746...range/72072010

hello. i'm a fan of Life is Strange. great work. i have but a few minor points to mention:

1: i would like to be able to replay any chapter of the episodes in "it won't chance consequences"-mode even if i have all the photos in this chapter collected.
    2: it would be interessting to see N in the choices screen. the percentage is cool but i have no clue how many made these choices in total.

cheers. keep up the good work.

I know this game was likely designed to be one season. But I really hate to say goodbye to these characters so soon with just the 5 eps. Chloe and Max together on screen is just too good....Love this game.

I would have liked a lot more time in the alternate universe. If you think about it, what did going there actually add to the story arc? It was good for character development and I really liked it, but it didn't actually move the story forward at all. You could've skipped from Chloe and Max leaving Frank's RV in episode 3 to them sleuthing in Chloe's room in episode 4 and that omission wouldn't change anything about the narrative. It was just there to make us 'feel the feels' about Chloe. Now if, as well as bonding with Chloe, Max had gone looking for Kate or Rachel, who may not have been dead in the alternate universe, that would have been good. Or if she used the opportunity as Victoria and Nathan's 'friend' to find out more about them for future reference, before jumping back, that would have been effective, but as it was, the alternate universe felt like it was really just there to service the emotional, issues-based portion of the game as a sort of 'brief, living hypothetical', rather than as useful opportunity to find out otherwise inaccessible information.

Spoilers ahead

signature image

feedback EP4

- Option to change Max and Cloe`s Outfit
    good in EP3 ... missing in EP4 , we still can't change Max Outfit

- Options for one of many possible relationships (max-cloe, max-warren, max-kate, warren-kate,.... )
    great in EP4

- different guitarsongs -> option to play guitar solo for Cloe (warren, kate) with different effects
    (rocking, smoothing, romantic, metal, ....) on Cloe (warren or kate, can be important for the relationship)
    still no guitarsongs ...

- more sidequests -> like: turn on a HDTV an some will not talk to you (or he/she do)
    yeah ^^ i found all 3 codes (lock, handy, door), the handycode was hard to find .. ok the door is not a sidequest

- more collectible things ! (we can find cool license plates but we can not collect them or getting an reward for this)
    > same for other things, please more things to explore and maybe the possibility to see if I/we found all stuff (and got the reward)
    great again, Mr. Holmes , thank you (but no rewards, maybe in another EP/Season?)

- rewards (in game, maybe a secret video on a TV, a newspaper, special song for the guitar .. something like that)
    i didn't find anything like that, the poetry (party scene) did not count.

- using the handy and call a person for a smalltalk !!!! (max never called a person with her cellphone!! unbelievable)
    not directly, but she used her phone. -- in EP4 she not reply to sms/chat "intime"? why? give us the opportunity to answer, pls

- option to see FF: TSW in HD (reward?!)
    I'm still waiting!

- Max can interact with more things (like the vending mashine), buy a cupcake at the diner
    in EP4, there are lots of food and drinks .. but we can't take them! not cool. (order a cola, drink it)

-- interact more with the world around her (not all things must have consequences, thats only for the feeling, like the sitting on a Tree situation!! that was great)
    Thanks! nice party.

- Option to take random pictures and save them (can be watched from main menu)
    i can wait, Dontnod can solve the actual problems with the crashes/freezes of the game befor implenting this content

- no limitation for the playing Area (open world)
    not yet, maybe season 2? i hope

- other localisations of the game (especially german)
    narf, we are waiting, go on pls ^^

- a good plot for the not working clock in Room 102 ^^ (Episode 2)
    wow, now we have a good answer for the Clock in Room 102 ... a ladybuck, nice ^^ thank you!

- want to know the name of the invisible girl in the shower
    atm, i'm still waiting for the name

--------------------
    new to EP4

- multiple Episode-endings.
    i hate the EP4 ending and i can't change the end! (same in EP3), all actions have consequences ... but what we want to chance is not possible... give us 2 ways for a "cliffhanger"

- in EP3 we can swin in the pool. why not in EP4? Nathan can be in the pool, we can't check this. (combine this with different outfits)

- great party !! go on DJ Doom :-)

- i like the characterprogress and the the great plot.

- thx for the nudeart i hope no one will ever ask for it (but you can still show us some good nude-art-work in game)

- the "client-list" ! inspired by JulietxJules ?? (and may other things like the licence plates)

Thank you for EP4 ^^

last but not least, excuse my bad english (it's not my language)
    Last edited by Nox_Dogma; 28th Jul 2015 at 17:46. Reason: thx Wambo, i deleted it :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Dogma View Post
    - why Max destroyed Nathan's door (dormitries)? no option for a better solution of a locked door?
    Actually, you can break the door and then rewind once you are inside, just like in episode 3.
    I did this but it doesn't seem to matter if you fix the door or not
    signature image

Whoops, never mind. Decided to create an individual thread instead.
    Last edited by LordBattleBeard; 30th Jul 2015 at 08:02.

I lolled when I read back my last suggestions. I sure got what I asked for.
    Anyway, I do hope Max doesn't die in at least one ending.. :'|

Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post
    Do people assume bisexuality?

Max may be a teenager, but she's really not "confused," as in "trying to find herself." They've been careful to portray her as one of, if not THE most stable person(s) in all of Blackwell.

I find it hard to buy her being "curious" or what have you. She's past that stage of growing up, and she's either one or the other.

I personally hope they stay away from it, with both Chloe AND Warren. This story is about friendship, not about romance. SE's done a good job of that lately (Final Fantasy XIII series, XV) and I hope it continues.
    Sexuality isn't binary.

Did anyone else noticed that Chloe got the hots for Jefferson right before they went into the boy dorms. 0__o

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast